Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean I'm 22 and don't have any real emotional connection with 9/11. My only emotion around it is basically just how the neolib and neocon establishment handled the, uh, aftermath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

From the voice of the perpretatos themselves

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone else think it's FTW how in the almost 20 years since the supposedly greatest American tragedy we have not once even acted diplomatically against the perpetrators of 9/11

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its really funny because when I was in the military, everyone from rank and file airmen like me to the wing commander complained about how the personnel/actual unit funding was at ridiculous all-time lows but for some reason R&D and production contracts are like 80% of the national budget or whatever

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What im saying is, hang the nobles

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They privatized chow halls by thee time the Iraq War was in full swing. The USMIC is little more than an elaborate scheme to reappropriate public funds into the private sector. Even the CIA and FBI have to massively outsource intelligence work to private contractors because of artificial caps placed on government agencies in terms of employment & salaries. Generally speaking no government employee is supposed to earn a bigger salary than a congressman, and the same is true of the military. Max base salary for a four star general is only $180,000. You'd have to be insanely principled not to do grift work for private companies which can guarantee you twice that amount for consultancy in "retirement."

tl;dr it's arbitrarily impossible for the government & military as-is to compete with the private sector and retain its own brain trusts, so now the brains are all thinking of ways they can grift the government instead of serving the public

I did the math once and if I ate at the chow hall for 2 roughly 1250 calorie meals a day, it would end up costing like $700 a month at like ~$13 a meal. The stipend the Air Force gave me in lieu of free meals was $230 or so. :downs:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also I didn't get that stipend nor was I registered for meal cards for like 8 months, and when I was getting it sorted out my chief didn't let me get the meal card even when I pointed out how it was a massive rip off since I usually ate at the chow hall anyway

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only expansion on the GWOT I would support would be tactical strikes on every living member of the House of Saud

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We have all these drones, and we oughta use them for global good

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm so glad we have this giant war machine theoretically devoted to peacekeeping missions

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:thunk: what do you mean this nation with barely a 10th of the population of the USA isn't a threat

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm aware of the extent of the GWOTs horror. It's just like, it would be nice if we kept up the part where we use the military to send doctors to fight Ebola or distribute MREs and not the part where we blow apart a neighborhood and kill 60 people to get like 2 'combatants'

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Main Paineframe posted:

remember when we sent doctors as part of a vaccination program

only the vaccination program was actually a CIA ruse to find bin Laden

and then NGO doctors started getting driven out and attacked as potential spies

Has the CIA ever done anything that wasn't evil and also backfired and hurt the USA more than doing nothing would have

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

IIRC it's actually the State Department that does more to discredit NGOs by using them to infiltrate spies.

Well yeah but the State Department is unquestionably retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't get the Venezuela part at all

• Locked thread