Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Hello friends!

Last month I booked a ticket to Washington DC for a three week long trip in July. Long story short my groggy 2am brain made it two weeks instead of three.

I only noticed that I messed up the return date yesterday while talking to a friend. I tried to change the flight return date (American Airlines, if it helps) and the change fee isn't so bad ($80-ish) but the thing is I have to pay the difference in flight costs.

The thing is, in a matter of less than a month tickets have somehow doubled in price. The lady from American told me I can keep an eye out for ticket prices in case they go down so that I can re-book my return flight.

My question here is how the gently caress did they jump up in price so hard in so little time, and if there's a chance of prices dropping back ever. Thank you for reading about my stupid gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
That's actually totally normal, unfortunately. American airlines (and American Airlines) are notorious for their weird fluctuating ticket prices, which follow some arcane wizard logic.

It's totally possible the price will decline again, considering the dates - generally speaking, they tend to be cheapest about four months ahead of time, then steadily rise, then drop again about 2-4 weeks ahead of time before rising again at the last minute. But you never really know.

Keep in mind that you can still buy a one-way return on another airline if it works out cheaper,.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

duralict posted:

That's actually totally normal, unfortunately. American airlines (and American Airlines) are notorious for their weird fluctuating ticket prices, which follow some arcane wizard logic.

It's totally possible the price will decline again, considering the dates - generally speaking, they tend to be cheapest about four months ahead of time, then steadily rise, then drop again about 2-4 weeks ahead of time before rising again at the last minute. But you never really know.

Keep in mind that you can still buy a one-way return on another airline if it works out cheaper,.

Good stuff. Thank you very much!

Morbus
May 18, 2004

If the price for a flight to a popular area during the summer months doubles, the price is unlikely to go down with more time. It's possible that the price will drop some a few weeks before the departure date, but its equally or more possible that the flight will simply fill up or get more expensive. I very much doubt the price will un-double itself.

If you have any flexibility about your departure date or time, it's possible that flights that leave a day or so earlier or later, or at different hours, may be substantially cheaper, so be sure to check.

Was this a nonrefundable fare? If you paid with a credit card, see if you have any sort of trip cancellation insurance. There are probably still one way flights from other carriers that are significantly cheaper, so if you can it might be easiest to just dump the AA return flight.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Morbus posted:

If the price for a flight to a popular area during the summer months doubles, the price is unlikely to go down with more time. It's possible that the price will drop some a few weeks before the departure date, but its equally or more possible that the flight will simply fill up or get more expensive. I very much doubt the price will un-double itself.

If you have any flexibility about your departure date or time, it's possible that flights that leave a day or so earlier or later, or at different hours, may be substantially cheaper, so be sure to check.

Was this a nonrefundable fare? If you paid with a credit card, see if you have any sort of trip cancellation insurance. There are probably still one way flights from other carriers that are significantly cheaper, so if you can it might be easiest to just dump the AA return flight.

Yeah I'm flexible with the date, and I checked. There isn't that big of a difference.

Also yes it's non-refundable and I found a one-way ticket that's $200 cheaper than switching dates through AA. Oh well. That's gonna be an expensive lesson.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Have you tried Southwest from BWI? They have cheap, direct flights to a lot of places.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

rear end posted:

Yeah I'm flexible with the date, and I checked. There isn't that big of a difference.

Also yes it's non-refundable and I found a one-way ticket that's $200 cheaper than switching dates through AA. Oh well. That's gonna be an expensive lesson.

I'm not sure how AA works but for many airlines, when you change your flight, you pay some fee + the difference in fare. In the event that you change to a cheaper flight, your net cost will be the change fee, minus the difference in fare. So, if you change to a flight that is more than $200 cheaper than your original one, it amounts to a partial refund even if you never take that flight. So if you can find some AA flight, any flight, substantially cheaper than the one you've currently booked, the fare difference - change fee might still allow you to recover some costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Have you tried Southwest from BWI? They have cheap, direct flights to a lot of places.

They don't have flights to my place!

Morbus posted:

I'm not sure how AA works but for many airlines, when you change your flight, you pay some fee + the difference in fare. In the event that you change to a cheaper flight, your net cost will be the change fee, minus the difference in fare. So, if you change to a flight that is more than $200 cheaper than your original one, it amounts to a partial refund even if you never take that flight. So if you can find some AA flight, any flight, substantially cheaper than the one you've currently booked, the fare difference - change fee might still allow you to recover some costs.

Yeah I totally understand that. But when I made this thread my ticket (which I got for 700-odd USD) jumped up in price to $1500 so the difference plus date change fees were too much. At the time I found a one way ticket for $600 which is ~$200 less than the $800 I would have had to pay to change my flight through AA.

Through some black magic AA tickets dropped in price and I am now able to change my return date for $300, so mission accomplished I guess :v:

• Locked thread