Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Background--Good Dem vs. Very Evil Republican

Montana has only one congressional seat, recently vacated by Ryan Zinke after his appointment to Secretary of the Interior. The election to fill that seat will occur on May 25, just over a month from today. The race is between Rob Quist, a pro-choice, Bernie-backed progressive Democrat who supports universal public healthcare and Greg Gianforte, a fundamentalist Republican billionaire (or near-billionaire, you can never be certain these days) who funded a young earth creationist museum. Wow, that's a pretty stark contrast!

Here's Rob Quist, folk musician hero:

Here's Greg Gianforte, young earth creationist:

Gianforte on Social Security: "There's nothing in the Bible that talks about retirement. And yet it's been an accepted concept in our culture today. Nowhere does it say, 'Well, he was a good and faithful servant, so he went to the beach... The example I think of is Noah. How old was Noah when he built the ark? 600. He wasn't like, cashing Social Security checks, he wasn't hanging out, he was working. So, I think we have an obligation to work. The role we have in work may change over time, but the concept of retirement is not biblical." Wowza!

State of the Race

Republicans are pouring millions of dollars into the race, including a recent $700,000 Super PAC ad-buy. However, Quist is staying competitive on the back of nationwide small donations, which now total over $1.3 million. There are also crappy Libertarian and Green candidates involved, I'm not even going to bother listing them here.

So Does Rob actually have a shot?

Emphatic yes. Very little meaningful polling has been done, but the few crappy Gravis and Google Consumer Survey polls carried out show both candidates pulling between 38% and 50%. Quist is even in the lead in some of them! The reality is that this race is extremely dynamic and we have very little idea about what is actually going on, especially because the national Dems are not paying much attention. Republicans would not be throwing in the big bucks if they didn't believe that the seat was at risk. Rob Quist is a popular country musician in Montana with excellent name recognition, and Bernie will be showing up to campaign on his behalf in May.

For reference, the Cook PVI in this district is R +11. The Democratic candidate did quite well in the recent Kansas Fourth Special Election, getting within 7 points in a Cook PVI R +14 district despite being outspent 2-1. Quist has much better name recognition and a lot more support in a substantially less red district. Yes, he really could pull this off!

OK now let's give Quist some money

Go here and give Quist some support! I did!

Unlike the race currently happening in Georgia, this election won't be held until May 25, 2017. This gives your money plenty of time to do some work! Please consider supporting Quist today. Thank you.

Vox Nihili has issued a correction as of 21:47 on Apr 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Rob Quist Is Okay, I Guess

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhuOSHlrQXA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTBTG4dv03s

P1h3r1e3d13
Mar 11, 2016
I'm in for $30, just to contribution-shame you. And save the world.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

good ads, this Gianforte fellow looks like a giant target. a tech billionaire in montana, c'mon now!

he lost the 2016 race for governor to a moderate dem despite the trumpslide in the state, this is his attempt at a consolation prize i guess

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
quistlings

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
rob quisp

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
what do you call it when you steal a box of 70s breakfast cerial?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

quistlings > quislings IMO

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
wow we've already raised $55. please help us reach our goal of $56, thank you

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008
that spelling of qvist/kvist is really annoying

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I put in 15$ a couple weeks ago, but I found out sbout the race from SA so you can count it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GodFish posted:

I put in 15$ a couple weeks ago, but I found out sbout the race from SA so you can count it.

heck yeah, $70 for the conQuistador

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Why is there not a C-Spam Ed Balls group to funnel a donation through? I see other groups racking up the leader board?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Elephanthead posted:

Why is there not a C-Spam Ed Balls group to funnel a donation through? I see other groups racking up the leader board?

it is done

https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/edballs

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
just pretend the little gauge shows $70 already ok

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Rob

Rob Quist

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

support a berniebro? no thanks, i dont hate women

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Washington is out of tune

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
$20 to Ed Balls

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rob Quist > Lundqvist

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i tossed in 30 bucks earlier this morning before the ed balls group was starte sorry :(

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
have we started calling his supporters quistlings yet

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I've thrown in $20!

What should we call ourselves for the possible gang tag?

Quistians?
reconQuistadors?

Also I'm gonna share this post with my other groups. Not asking permission, just letting you know I'm outright stealing it, because it's a good OP.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

I've thrown in $20!

What should we call ourselves for the possible gang tag?

Quistians?
reconQuistadors?

Also I'm gonna share this post with my other groups. Not asking permission, just letting you know I'm outright stealing it, because it's a good OP.

Yeah, please share, it's just stuff pulled from Wikipedia mostly. The reference to the Georgia special election is a bit out of date now.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Also, if anyone is interested in phonebanking, here's the Bernie org that's organizing it:
https://www.grassrootspb.com/

It has Quist front and center right now but also lists other local races that could use assistance!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Agean90 posted:

i tossed in 30 bucks earlier this morning before the ed balls group was starte sorry :(

Thanks! I'll include that in our total count, which is up to $215! Pretty solid start.

quote:

Also, if anyone is interested in phonebanking, here's the Bernie org that's organizing it:
https://www.grassrootspb.com/

Good link. It's cool that people have already started phonebanking with the election still over a month away.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Also I'm currently laughing my rear end off at the "suggested donor amounts", which I didn't notice the first time around. I am guessing you set them directly, so thanks for the triple take.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Also I'm currently laughing my rear end off at the "suggested donor amounts", which I didn't notice the first time around. I am guessing you set them directly, so thanks for the triple take.

glad someone noticed, couldn't help it when the option presented itself

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Am i correct in believing foreign nationals aren't allowed to donate to American political campaigns?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Byolante posted:

Am i correct in believing foreign nationals aren't allowed to donate to American political campaigns?

you are correct: http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/foreign.shtml

there is an exception, though--if you have a green card then you can contribute

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

a couple weeks before the election he should do a folk song thats just him trashing his opponent

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Well either the DCCC is helping Quist or he's copied their style because my inbox if getting flooded with DOOOMED emails asking for donations for him

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GodFish posted:

Well either the DCCC is helping Quist or he's copied their style because my inbox if getting flooded with DOOOMED emails asking for donations for him

Yeah I suggest unsubscribing, pretty much all Dem candidates apparently spam the hell out of you now when you show an ounce of interest and it's completely insufferable.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The first generic donation link had all the groups donating in a list, how do I see how far up Ed Balls has reached. I can't find it in the mess of Act Blue badness.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Elephanthead posted:

The first generic donation link had all the groups donating in a list, how do I see how far up Ed Balls has reached. I can't find it in the mess of Act Blue badness.

https://secure.actblue.com/entity/fundraisers/47666

Only $85,500 behind the Daily Kos!

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsMlhdrz7nE

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Good ad, Quist owns.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/329781-dem-campaign-arm-spending-six-figures-in-montana-house-race

The DCCC is finally committing some funding to the Quist campaign in the "six figure" range. However, Republican-aligned Super PACs are dropping well over $1 million, and keep upping the ante with additional ad buys. At the end of the day, Quist is going to be outspent by a large margin, and he is still relying largely on grassroots enthusiasm and fundraising to keep up with the Super PAC onslaught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Grassroots enthusiasm is worth a lot more than PAC money, especially for a special election

• Locked thread