Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Background--Good Dem vs. Very Evil Republican

Montana has only one congressional seat, recently vacated by Ryan Zinke after his appointment to Secretary of the Interior. The election to fill that seat will occur on May 25, just over a month from today. The race is between Rob Quist, a pro-choice, Bernie-backed progressive Democrat who supports universal public healthcare and Greg Gianforte, a fundamentalist Republican billionaire (or near-billionaire, you can never be certain these days) who funded a young earth creationist museum. Wow, that's a pretty stark contrast!

Here's Rob Quist, folk musician hero:

Here's Greg Gianforte, young earth creationist:

Gianforte on Social Security: "There's nothing in the Bible that talks about retirement. And yet it's been an accepted concept in our culture today. Nowhere does it say, 'Well, he was a good and faithful servant, so he went to the beach... The example I think of is Noah. How old was Noah when he built the ark? 600. He wasn't like, cashing Social Security checks, he wasn't hanging out, he was working. So, I think we have an obligation to work. The role we have in work may change over time, but the concept of retirement is not biblical." Wowza!

State of the Race

Republicans are pouring millions of dollars into the race, including a recent $700,000 Super PAC ad-buy. However, Quist is staying competitive on the back of nationwide small donations, which now total over $1.3 million. There are also crappy Libertarian and Green candidates involved, I'm not even going to bother listing them here.

So Does Rob actually have a shot?

Emphatic yes. Very little meaningful polling has been done, but the few crappy Gravis and Google Consumer Survey polls carried out show both candidates pulling between 38% and 50%. Quist is even in the lead in some of them! The reality is that this race is extremely dynamic and we have very little idea about what is actually going on, especially because the national Dems are not paying much attention. Republicans would not be throwing in the big bucks if they didn't believe that the seat was at risk. Rob Quist is a popular country musician in Montana with excellent name recognition, and Bernie will be showing up to campaign on his behalf in May.

For reference, the Cook PVI in this district is R +11. The Democratic candidate did quite well in the recent Kansas Fourth Special Election, getting within 7 points in a Cook PVI R +14 district despite being outspent 2-1. Quist has much better name recognition and a lot more support in a substantially less red district. Yes, he really could pull this off!

OK now let's give Quist some money

Go here and give Quist some support! I did!

Unlike the race currently happening in Georgia, this election won't be held until May 25, 2017. This gives your money plenty of time to do some work! Please consider supporting Quist today. Thank you.

Vox Nihili has issued a correction as of 21:47 on Apr 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

good ads, this Gianforte fellow looks like a giant target. a tech billionaire in montana, c'mon now!

he lost the 2016 race for governor to a moderate dem despite the trumpslide in the state, this is his attempt at a consolation prize i guess

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

quistlings > quislings IMO

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
wow we've already raised $55. please help us reach our goal of $56, thank you

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GodFish posted:

I put in 15$ a couple weeks ago, but I found out sbout the race from SA so you can count it.

heck yeah, $70 for the conQuistador

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Elephanthead posted:

Why is there not a C-Spam Ed Balls group to funnel a donation through? I see other groups racking up the leader board?

it is done

https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/edballs

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
just pretend the little gauge shows $70 already ok

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

I've thrown in $20!

What should we call ourselves for the possible gang tag?

Quistians?
reconQuistadors?

Also I'm gonna share this post with my other groups. Not asking permission, just letting you know I'm outright stealing it, because it's a good OP.

Yeah, please share, it's just stuff pulled from Wikipedia mostly. The reference to the Georgia special election is a bit out of date now.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Agean90 posted:

i tossed in 30 bucks earlier this morning before the ed balls group was starte sorry :(

Thanks! I'll include that in our total count, which is up to $215! Pretty solid start.

quote:

Also, if anyone is interested in phonebanking, here's the Bernie org that's organizing it:
https://www.grassrootspb.com/

Good link. It's cool that people have already started phonebanking with the election still over a month away.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Also I'm currently laughing my rear end off at the "suggested donor amounts", which I didn't notice the first time around. I am guessing you set them directly, so thanks for the triple take.

glad someone noticed, couldn't help it when the option presented itself

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Byolante posted:

Am i correct in believing foreign nationals aren't allowed to donate to American political campaigns?

you are correct: http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/foreign.shtml

there is an exception, though--if you have a green card then you can contribute

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GodFish posted:

Well either the DCCC is helping Quist or he's copied their style because my inbox if getting flooded with DOOOMED emails asking for donations for him

Yeah I suggest unsubscribing, pretty much all Dem candidates apparently spam the hell out of you now when you show an ounce of interest and it's completely insufferable.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Elephanthead posted:

The first generic donation link had all the groups donating in a list, how do I see how far up Ed Balls has reached. I can't find it in the mess of Act Blue badness.

https://secure.actblue.com/entity/fundraisers/47666

Only $85,500 behind the Daily Kos!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Good ad, Quist owns.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/329781-dem-campaign-arm-spending-six-figures-in-montana-house-race

The DCCC is finally committing some funding to the Quist campaign in the "six figure" range. However, Republican-aligned Super PACs are dropping well over $1 million, and keep upping the ante with additional ad buys. At the end of the day, Quist is going to be outspent by a large margin, and he is still relying largely on grassroots enthusiasm and fundraising to keep up with the Super PAC onslaught.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

HorseRenoir posted:

Grassroots enthusiasm is worth a lot more than PAC money, especially for a special election

I agree. But wall-to-wall ads on conservative media programs reminding people to vote is also nothing to sneeze at.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
https://twitter.com/gianforte/status/856317696945684480

Quist's opponent is going all-in on the Trump Train theory. Looks like he only merits a Don Jr., though. Sad!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
http://www.abcfoxmontana.com/story/35231660/montana-sportsmen-alliance-endorses-rob-quist

The Montana Sportsmen Alliance has endorsed congressional candidate Rob Quist (D).

Rob Quist earned an endorsement from the Montana Sportsmen Alliance (MSA) for his support of public lands and the Second Amendment.

MSA, a nonpartisan advocacy group for Montana sportsmen and women, pointed to Quist's Montana roots and stances on wildlife and forest management as key to earning the group's endorsement.

"Rob has endorsed NO Federal Land Transfer pledge. He stands against this transfer and understands the dynamics of the folks trying to promote transfer," MSA wrote. "We are confident that Rob Quist is indeed the kind of organic Congressman Montana needs to represent us!"

On its site, MSA says its mission is to "work to continue the core values of public ownership of public wildlife, and public access to public resources."

Rob, who grew up on a wheat farm and ranch outside Cut Bank, is a proponent of keeping public lands public and of place-based forest management plans.

Quist said he was proud to received the endorsement in a press release, adding, "The transfer and eventual sale of public land is nothing more than theft against our children and grandchildren, and I steadfastly oppose it. I'm also committed to standing up for the Second Amendment and ensuring our sportsmen and women can continue to hunt and fish on public lands."

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

lets get that goat elected

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GodFish posted:

put in another 20$ and then unsubscribed from the emails

Excellent moves both.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/28/montana-special-election-2017-early-voting-237751

Looks like the DCCC is spending only $200k total, welp.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Too bad you weren't a skinny, centrist wonk with connections to the military industrial complex, quist, you coulda got the big dembux

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Venuz Patrol posted:

i dunno why anybody would opt out of this stuff. it's amazing

yeah i collected a bunch from the DCCC for awhile and theyre basically indistinguishable from scammy spam mail

presumably it's meant to prey on the senile or something

cutting-edge fundraising

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Concerned Citizen posted:

some races outsource their emails to dccc, so i wouldn't be surprised if they were running it.

quist's email program is pretty successful so i guess they've got that going for them, even if their emails are horrible

im almost certain that theyre either using the DCCC program or they outsourced it to the DCCC entirely, it's extremely similar

i suspect his fundraising success has been due to his progressive appeal and grassroots people sharing with one another directly more than anything else, though

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gringostar posted:

also 200k goes a hell of a lot further in montana than in one of the richest districts in the nation

you'd be surprised, the race is equivalent to a senate race because it encompasses the entire state, which is one of the largest and most populous congressional districts in the country

also, the media market there is apparently relatively costly for a variety of reasons

it's very different from the recent kansas special election, for example, which took place in a relatively tiny area

Vox Nihili has issued a correction as of 20:56 on May 1, 2017

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Anyway, we're only $40 off of our next target! Donate some much-needed funds today and propel the Quistlings to victory!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Looks like the DCCC is coming through! Hopefully their willingness to invest was the result of some good internal polling numbers.

https://twitter.com/AASchapiro/status/859813536712855553?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

QUIST

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Cotton Candidasis posted:

Made my second-ever political donation to one Rob Quist in hopes of more good dems, less raptors, and the chance to survive Jurassic Park.

Good call. Life finds a way...

QUIST *gunshot*

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
It's important to have both a public and a private position. -Gianforte, probably.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

maybe not so wide

Goddamn, that enthusiastic voter column has me HYPED. Special elections have super low turnout, so enthusiasm is absolutely key.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Gianforte allegedly fired an employee for having multiple sclerosis: http://www.rawstory.com/2017/04/montana-congressional-candidate-settled-lawsuit-with-employee-who-said-he-was-fired-for-having-ms/

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
'forte is a MESS
'forte is a WASTE

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
cool, finally got a quist fundraising email that isnt lovely, soul-crushing spam

Our Revolution posted:

Rob Quist and his grassroots team of supporters in Montana are working harder than ever to win Montana's special election to Congress. Coming from a rural state like I do, Rob is raising issues that resonate with people in a way that the Beltway establishment just hasn't figured out. We know that we can surprise the pundit class and push Rob over the top on May 25th, but he's going to need our support.

On every major issue, Rob Quist is leading the way for Montana. He is a devoted supporter of Medicare for All, Planned Parenthood, raising the minimum wage to a living wage, and equal pay for equal work. He also wants to get big money out of politics by overturning Citizens United. I intend to be campaigning with Rob next weekend all over Montana. Together, we can give Rob an enormous boost in the final stretch of his campaign and send a message to Washington that progressives across the country are doing more than just mounting challenges -- they're running to win.

This is especially important in Montana, where President Trump's executive order to review the status of our national parks puts natural treasures like Glacier and Yellowstone in the crosshairs of Wall Street and the fossil fuel industry. Rob believes, like I do, that public lands should be passed down to the next generation, not sold off to the highest bidder. After the incredible turnout at the People's Climate March, it's clear that the American people are on Rob's side.

Rob spent the last year campaigning with us during our campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination. It's time we returned the favor.

It's in moments like these that we need to rally to the cause and advance our progressive agenda. A victory in Montana would not just be a step forward for that beautiful state, it will be a step forward for progressive politics all across the country. That's why I'm adding my voice to this fight -- I hope you will add yours too.

In solidarity,

Bernie Sanders

yep, thats berno

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Good news! Rob Quist apparently has genital herpes! But actually!

montanans can rest assured that Quist is well-acquainted with the plight of preexisting medical conditions

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Being able to shoot some hoops is a key indicator for progressive politicians.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I am legit hoping the libertarian candidate plays spoiler for the GOP. Lot of country folks will probably chafe at voting for a tech multimillionaire despite being staunch conservatives.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Weird how these billionaire entrepreneurs-turned-GOP candidates keep turning out to be actual, certifiable psychopaths.

QUIST

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Greg Gianforte, Montana G.O.P. Candidate, Is Charged in Attack on Reporter

The Republican candidate in a hotly contested special House election in Montana was charged with assaulting a journalist on Wednesday at what was to be a final rally in Bozeman on the eve of the vote. The attack brought police officers to the event and sent the reporter to the hospital for X-rays.

In a statement late Wednesday, the office of the Gallatin County sheriff, Brian Gootkin, said there was enough evidence to charge the candidate, Greg Gianforte, with misdemeanor assault. Mr. Gianforte, the Republican candidate for the state’s lone House seat, is scheduled to appear in court before June 7.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/24/us/politics/greg-gianforte-montana-republican-body-slams-reporter.html

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Results start coming in at 10pm EST

https://decisiondeskhq.com/results/montana-at-large-congressional-election/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Polls closed, get hype!

Quist now trading at 20c on PredictIt :negative:

• Locked thread