Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
WCW1 - Will to Fight... Eradicated

German Turn 2

Rally Phase

Nothing to rally, but reinforcements are set up to come onto the map. That's two squads, a leader, and an LMG.

Prep Fire Phase

Some fire happens that doesn't amount to anything, but these units weren't planning on moving anyway.

Movement Phase

The reinforcements arrive, and are predictably shot at, to no effect.

Defensive Fire Phase

The LMG unit in M5 gets a result by breaking the German unit at the top. Hooray! That will open up the upper flank a lot.

Advancing Fire Phase

The Germans return fire, but nothing happens.

Rout Phase - the German broken unit decided to stay where he is, which he can do, since he's not adjacent to an enemy unit and is safely in a building.

Advance Phase

Close Combat Phase - none happens

Final board state:

German thoughts: If they can hold onto the space they've got, I think they'll be okay. Next turn they have EIGHT SQUADS arriving, which is HUGE. Weirdly, this game is recorded as the Polish side winning 51.2% of the time (85 wins recorded vs. 81 recorded German wins), even though I'm REALLY worried about that huge German push next turn. But, then again, if the Poles can dig their heels into the buildings they have, I think they can hold on. It's a fun game so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Polish Turn 3

Rally Phase

The Polish unit at the top of the map gets up!

Prep Fire Phase

More firing across the street on the west side of the map. Those Polish units don't want to risk rushing the Germans, because running out into the street would be deadly.

Movement Phase

The movement at the top of the map is just to block in that broken German unit. This way, he can't rout anywhere, and will be killed. The unit in the middle of the map was broken. The guy in O4 picked up the MMG successfully, and the guy in the Cellar picked up the LMG successfully. Gonna lay down some firelanes!

Defensive Fire Phase - Nothing really happened here.

Advancing Fire Phase

The "?" unit was, surprise surprise, a dummy counter. The adjacent Poles got a result on it, which removed it from the map.

Rout Phase

The German unit is indeed killed for failure to rout. The Polish broken unit routs northwest to the building.

Advance Phase

The guy in the Cellar advances to ground level, some other units shift around. Surprise! There was a Polish unit in the Cellar of U5, and they advance into Close Combat with the German unit.

Close Combat Phase

Odds are 2:1 for the Germans, 1:2 for the Poles. No ambush. Germans need a 9, Poles need a 6. Poles roll a 7, Germans roll an 11. Locked in Melee!

Game board at the end of Polish Turn 3. Germans are getting EIGHT SQUADS next turn!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
War of the Rats

Russian Turn 4

Rally Phase

One of the Russian conscript squads rallied.

The German 1st-line all the way over in J3 rallied (I think I might have forgotten to rally this unit for at least one turn)

Prep Fire Phase

Two Prep Fire attacks were made, but to no effect.

Movement Phase

No movement

Defensive Fire Phase

One of the German LMGs broke a Russian squad from across the orchards

The German MMG broke the Russian conscripts that just rallied in O7

Advancing Fire Phase

No advancing fire

Rout Phase

The broken Russian 1st-line in L6 routed back to their leader
The two broken Russian squads in O7 moved south to become not-adjacent to the melee in O6.

The German 1st-line in P4 tried to rout to the nearest leader, but came up 1 hex short.

Advance Phase

The Russian leader in O7 joined the broken squads in O8 so that they can be rallied next turn
The LMG squad in M8 moved up to occupy more of the objective

Close Combat Phase

The Germans in O6, FP 4, engage the Russians, combined FP 5
No ambush
The Germans are operating at 1-2 odds, so they have a kill number of 4
The Russians are operating at 1-1 odds, so they have a kill number of 5
The Germans rolled a 9, and the Russians rolled a 2
The German squad is eliminated

State of the board at end of turn

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That melee at O6 was always going to be a crapshoot, but losing it before I could get anyone else on that side of the street hurts a lot. The Germans are on the backfoot, as they need to clear five hexes of troops within two turns. It's still possible, but it will be difficult, and they're going to need more of those lucky MG rolls.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

How are you guys finding 'playing both sides'?
Are you sticking to a predetermined strat and trying to see that through or just playing it out as best you can from who's ever turn it is?

I find in a bigger game like Next War and even No Retreat i can solo it quite well (the cards give some trouble) but I struggle at a tactical level. There is always a bias or something. And also the problem of being two sides of the same mind...its hard to really surprise yourself and if one half of my brain is trying to outflank the other its feels a bit schizophrenic or something.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I tend to have a long-term strategy in mind, and then try to adapt it on a turn-by-turn basis. Like, I knew I was going to go heavy on the left-hand objective as the Germans, but the game is unpredictable enough that you can't say exactly how or when you're going to succeed beyond throwing more troops at a problem.

The biggest "issue" for me is defensive fire. I know what order the attacker troops are going to move in, so as the defender, it can be hard to not cheat myself when I say that I will hold fire for now because I anticipate a juicier target moving up later. The game does offer me an "out" when stuff like Cowering occurs and it simplifies the defender's choices (by removing more of them), and that you can't always say that it's worth ignoring a unit because even a Half Squad moving up can engage in melee and lock-up an MG team.

The alternative is adopting a rule from Retro ASL where all defensive fire is automatically triggered within 3 hexes, but I think that would be even easier to cause myself as the attacker to find loopholes in.

Two rules that I do want to try implementing next are Deployment and Covered Arcs, since the former gives the attacker more flexibility in overwhelming the defender's fire, and the latter is another restriction on the defender. For example, in the current game, the Russian MGs wouldn't be able to shoot at an attacker coming from the direct east if I already had them shoot at squads approaching from the north.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
For me, I just do a lot of role playing in my head, and use the solo experience as a way to think about the game - kinda like playing out chess exercises. If I move this guy here, the other player is going to know that it's a ploy because it's only a half squad, so I'll wait on defensive fire... I was right, so now I'm gonna move another squad the other way to avoid that fire, changing my plans. Etc., etc.

I think it's really fun for playing out a story, even though it's basically plastic army men for grown ups.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

German Turn 3

Rally Phase

The German reinforcements stack just off the board, ready to enter.

Prep Fire Phase

The Germans really need to clear a path to enter, so they try to prep fire at the blocking Polish units. The one in T3 stands fast, but in S5 the leader is pinned and the squad is broken.

Movement Phase

One German squad was reduced to a half squad AND broken, but everyone else made it safely to their destinations.

Defensive Fire Phase

The Poles focus all their fire on the one remaining German squad in the big building. They successfully break the leader, wound the leader, and break the squad.

Advancing Fire Phase, Rout Phase - nothing happens

Advance Phase

The Germans advance upward a bit, and the leader advances into the hex with the broken half squad. They'll need every man up and able.

Close Combat Phase

The melee is still going on in U5. The Germans need a 9 and roll a 7, the Poles need a 6 and roll a 4. Both units are eliminated.

Final board state:

The Germans are in a much better place now with the reinforcements, but they only have 4 turns to recapture a lot of ground, and the Poles are set up in some decent defensive positions.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Looks like the last four turns are going to be a bit of bloodbath!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
War of the Rats

German Turn 5

Rally Phase

The German LMG squad up in M2 used the attacker's one-free-rally and rallied successfully.

One of the Russian reinforcement 1st-line squads also rallied
The 1st-line Russian HS just south of the right-most objective also rallied, but the conscript Sq failed and is still broken

Prep Fire Phase

The German MMG broke the Russian LMG Sq at O6, and pinned their leader.

No other prep fire - the Germans will need all hands on deck to close in.

Movement Phase

The Elite Sq at G9, along with their leader, used CX to give them a total of 8 MF.
They skirted along the very bottom of the map, first staying out of 2-hex range of the Russians, and then hiding behind the building at K9. They finally come up just south of the objective, and the Russians opened fire.

The Russians attacked with 5 FP after PBF, and their modifiers were +3 TEM, -1 FFNAM, -1 CX, and -2 leadership. They rolled a natural 3, resulting in a 2, as a 1KIA result. The Elites and the leader rolled off for Random Selection, and the leader rolled high and was instantly vaporized. The Elite Sq was automatically broken.

The CX counter from the 1st-line Sq at H8 was removed - but that Sq cannot CX again this turn.
They advanced to I8, and then to J7, and the Russians held fire both times because it would have passed through orchards.
Then they got to K8 and the Russians opened fire.
The Russians rolled a natural 2, resulting in a 0 after modifiers, which again vaporized the German squad with a 2KIA result

The LMG Sq at G7 moved from H7 to I7 to J6 to K6. Again, the Russians held fire until the last possible moment because of orchards
The Russians rolled low enough to get a 3MC and broke the squad

The other LMG Sq, at H6, moved from I7 to J6 to K7, and the Russians still had some SFF left.
The Russians got a 1MC, and the Germans were Pinned

The Elites at M5 Assault Move into M6, and the Russian LMG opened fire
The DFF attack was a PTC, which the Germans shrugged off.
The SDD attack was a complete miss

The leader and the Sq at J3 then followed right behind, ending at L5 with all of the Russians already on Final Fire

The leader at F5 moved to J5 in anticipation of catching the newly-broken squads

Finally, the just-rallied LMG Sq at M2 tried to move-in again after using CX again
The Pinned leader manned the LMG and tried to shoot, but only ended up cowering the 2 FP attack anyway

Defensive Fire Phase

The two remaining Russian Sq across the street attacked the German Elite at M6, but to no effect

Advancing Fire Phase

The Germans all attacked, but to no effect

Rout Phase

The German 1st-line routed back to a leader. The Elite to the south didn't really have anywhere else to go, so they just moved down one

Meanwhile, the Russians also withdrew to their nearest leaders

Advance Phase

The Germans advanced into Close Combat with nearest Russians

Close Combat Phase

Hex L6
German combined FP = 5 with 1 leadership
Russian combined FP = 5
No ambush
Both sides have a kill number of 5
The Germans rolled a 7, the Russians rolled a 6, both sides are locked in melee

Hex M7
German combined FP = 5
Russian combined FP = 5
The Russians have Ambush
The Germans rolled a 7, the Russians rolled a 3, the Germans are eliminated

Hex O6
German combined FP = 4, with CX
Russian combined FP = 1
No ambush
German kill number is 9, Russian kill number is 3
The Germans rolled a 8, the Russians rolled a 7, the Russians are eliminated

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 19, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
War of the Rats

Russian Turn 5

Rally Phase

Neither of the two broken Russian squads managed to rally
The German 1st-line Sq did, though

Prep Fire Phase

The 1st-line Sq at O7 attacked the German LMG Sq at O6 and broke them with an NMC
The 1st-line Sq at L7 attacked the pinned Germans at K7 and destroyed them with a 2KIA result

Movement Phase

No movement

Defensive Fire Phase

The Germans attacked twice, and while the MMG got a 1MC, the Russians passed it. No effect on the board.

Advancing Fire Phase

No advancing fire

Rout Phase

The newly-broken German Sq routed north, but couldn't get to a leader

Advance Phase

The Russians advanced to completely retake the right-most objective

Close Combat Phase

Hex L6
Russian combined FP = 5
No ambush
The Germans rolled a 10, the Russians rolled a 7, both sides are still locked in melee

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This game is pretty much in the bag - the Germans literally don't have enough squads to kill off the Russians in time even if I guaranteed them nothing but natural 1s, but they say it's good to play things out to the very end so that you learn how to make the defeat as costly as possible, and who knows, maybe I'll be surprised. After all, the Russians were on the back foot right before they rolled four KIAs in two half-turns.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
War of the Rats

German Turn 6

Rally Phase

The Germans used the attacker's free on the Elites at the bottom of the map, and they succeed.

The Russians tried to rally the two still-broken squads in O8, and:
the 1st-line Sq rolled a nat 12 and was casualty reduced
the Conscript Sq rolled a nat 1 and triggered Heat-of-Battle, and then the Heat-of-Battle result was a Surrender, which instead hits them with a Disrupted counter since there's no one around to Surrender to.

Prep Fire Phase

The 1st-line Sq in L2 dropped the MMG, gave it to the leader, and the leader shot at O6 ... and completely missed. No change in board status.

Movement Phase

The Elite Sq Assault Moved into L8. The Russians opened fire and broke them with a 3MC.

The 1st-line Sq at J5 moved across three building hexes to get adjacent to the Russian LMG.
The LMG and its Sq fired with DFF and inflicted an NMC which the Germans passed
The LMG had ROF and fired again, and missed
The Sq fired with SFF and inflicted a 1MC which the Germans also passed
The 1st-line from across the street fired, and managed to Pin the German Sq

The 1st-line Sq at L2, which abandoned the MMG earlier, used CX on itself and made a dash for O6
The Russians at O6 used SFF with PBF, and rolled a modified 1, resulting in a 1KIA and killing off the squad immediately

Movement ends with no more German units available

Defensive Fire Phase

No defensive Fire

Advancing Fire Phase

No advancing fire

Rout Phase

The two broken German squads routed where they could

Advance Phase

No advance

Close Combat Phase

Hex L6
Russian combined FP = 5
Germans have ambush
The Germans rolled a 4, the Russians rolled a 11, and the Russians are eliminated

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
War of the Rats

Russian Turn 6

Rally Phase

The two Russian squads at O8 rallied.
The two broken German squads could not rally without a leader present

Prep Fire Phase

The Russian 1st-line Sq at L7 broke the adjacent German Sq, but not the leader

No other effective attacks

Movement Phase

No movement

Defensive Fire Phase

The German LMG Sq at L6 broke the adjacent Russians with an NMC

No other effective attacks

Advancing Fire Phase

No advancing fire

Rout Phase

The newly-broken Russian Sq at M7 withdrew one hex south, to M8

The Germans continued to rout, but the Elite is still completely out of position to get to a leader

Advance Phase

The Russians advanced to engage the one German leader that was left in the lurch by their routed squad

Close Combat Phase

Hex L6
German combined FP = 1
Russian combined FP = 6, with 2 leadership
Russians have ambush
The Germans have a kill number of 2, the Russians have a kill number of 10
The Germans rolled an 11, the Russians rolled a 9, and the Germans are eliminated

State of the board at the end of the game

Result: Russian victory

German casualties:

4x Elite squads
4x 1st-line squads
2x leaders
2x demo charges
1x flamethrower

Russian casualties:

4x 1st-line squads
5x conscript squads
2x leaders

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!
There's no -1 DRM for fire attacks against a CX unit. They only suffer a -1 on CC attacks against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Polish Turn 4

Rally Phase

The unit in O6 gets up! So does the German HS in V1.

Prep Fire Phase

The Polish unit in T3 fires at the German stack, breaking one squad.

Movement Phase

There's some Polish movement to shore up the lines against the oncoming Germans, and one squad is broken. Overall, not bad.

Defensive Fire Phase

Crap! That's a break in the marketplace building.

Advancing Fire Phase - nothing

Rout Phase

The only legal place for the Germans to move is Q6. Not ideal.

Advance Phase

The guys in Q6 move upstairs, the guys in N6 advance over.

Close Combat Phase

The Poles takes out the broken Germans, and officially control all of the Marketplace building!

Situation:

• Locked thread