Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Listening to the audible version and some of this stuff is very lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

BexGu posted:

Guys I don't think this book is going to be that favorable looking to Hillary

The whole book is suppose to be like this.

It's charitable to Hillary, as much as someone rolling in that circle tends to be, but it's also very negative about what she does and how she thinks, especially about the campaign itself.

The big reveal to me is how bad Bill Clinton comes off in it, because rather than the voice of reason, he just ends up being an echo chamber for Hillary's worst aspects.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kiryen posted:

If you had a message that wasn't poo poo and could win elections in places other than lefty strongholds you wouldn't need to rely on ramming views through with sympathetic judges.

well, now your buddies own the judges who will make it easier to buy judges in the future

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

VikingSkull posted:

oh they know moderates exist, we're just the same as nazis to them

and next time some of us won't vote again but more will vote for Trump and it will be an even more hilarious meltdown

poo poo's gonna be lol when it happens

who the gently caress cares, we're on the internet, i'm not a politician, i don't need your vote

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

rezatahs posted:

gently caress moderates we don't need your vote!

*loses to donald j. trump*

i'm not the one who ran for president, i would say that it's best to have a different approach when posting on the internet than when trying to win elections

but then, are you suggesting that to capture the moderate vote HRC should have taken even more 'moderate' positions than she already did?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Krustic posted:

I'm suggesting that HRC should Pokemon Go gently caress herself.

yeah, she done, it's all good man

VikingSkull posted:

"eh this is the internet none of this matters"

he says, as a frog meme was the most powerful symbol of the most recent election

while even mentioning internet memes by 4chan was a really loving stupid decision because it gave them exposure, i'm not sure how the frog meme really did much

trump did no better than romney, he didn't bring out a sudden surge of working class voters, they just kinda stayed home in a choice between a clown and a robot

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
you have to be a really loving bad candidate with a bad campaign strategy and messaging to lose this one, and HRC hit every checkmark for this, like, any of those things go the other way and she wins it, despite her problems

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kiryen posted:

Trump did no better than Romney by winning when Romney lost

if trump does the same as romney and then hillary does a lot worse in some key states she loses the election

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Remember when lower middle class white people started to vote for Republicans and the media instantly stopped calling them the "working class" and switched to "uneducated whites"?

Time to vote for the party of the bosses, that sure is gonna get me more money

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

OctaviusBeaver posted:

People itt shilling for hillary in 2017 lmbo

people shilling for trump itt lol

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kiryen posted:

Maybe if you dsay it enough times he won't be President.

So, he's president now, what's your purpose in showing support for him?

this is correct

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Yug posted:

The Democrats are not about working class people at all. Every time trade work or any kind of blue collar work was brought up in the political threads the yuppie democrat posters laughed and made fun of anyone pathetic enough to do that work. They just want them to gently caress off and die in a ditch.

The truest working class policy is destroying medicare and more tax breaks for wall street while making sure raytheon and lockmart get plenty of business with new wars throughout asia.

"heh, the democrats aren't about working people, so i'm totally gonna vote for donald trump, he knows working people"

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Yug posted:

Those were all Clinton policies though. Obama and the democrats are the ones who wanted to work towards a grand bargain that gutted social security. Trump was firmer on protecting entitlements than hillary was in the election.

And then his healthcare plan basically provided for the end of medicare in 2022.

And you thought he was actually serious, like the kind of guy who pays the nigerian scammers money.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

spacetoaster posted:

This was 100% going to happen with Clinton.

you don't see people here celebrating clinton

you do see people here celebrating trump

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Yug posted:

Yeah that's a good point. That's another thing trump is keeping a promise on, making the permanent illegal underclass that drives down wages smaller.

Note that he never lays a finger on the employers of such people. He will never send somebody to federal prison for violating minimum wage/OT laws because he doesn't care about that kind of illegality.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm about 40% of the way through the book and while it has some juicy stories, it would be better if it came 10 years later when most of the people interviewed weren't playing for their next job.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Of what you've read so far, which story has been the most illustrative of the campaign?

A lot of the choicest stuff has already been posted in articles. The part where "Bill Clinton" excoriates the entire campaign staff for not managing to 'kill the e-mail thing' and 'get her message out' and no one said a word(I believe this may actually be someone trying to protect Hillary's reputation. You have to be careful with some of these stories. Some of the things attributed to Mook probably weren't him, either.)

I also like the story where "Mook" decides to shut down the Iowa ad campaign for the holiday season, believing people don't care about politics at that time, and subsequently losing Hillary's lead to Bernie when Sanders finally decides to pick up some ad buys during the holiday season. I use quotes for Mook's name because there is a general tendency to attribute almost every campaign misstep to Mook, which is hard to believe.

Still, watching a campaign get outfoxed at several points by an opponent's campaign run by a guy who runs a comic/board game shop is loving hilarious.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It's pretty clear in the writing that the people that were interviewed think Hillary's done. It's actually very negative about Hillary's management style and her objectives for the campaign. Certain people, most notably Podesta, get glossed over and these are probably people who think they've got a future.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think the best part was when someone suggested she not do paid speeches during the campaign that she said "look, we're always going to have a few bumps along the way"

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

VikingSkull posted:

my favorite part in these threads is when a bunch of people start making fun of Hillary and then a handful of burned out Hillbots make the logical leap that they are all Trump supporters

it's because they can't effectively defend her policies and instead fall back on "not Trump", like her campaign did

it's really funny

Whenever someone makes fun of trump in gbs theres a brigade of people who come out to say 'but hillary'

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Rutibex posted:

yeah but that is fair. hillary would be much worse

It'd pretty much be the same poo poo.

Grumpo posted:

Seriously what was her platform? I am a woman so vote for me because it's my turn and we need a woman president to prove how progressive we are?

The debates were painful to watch and Donald might be a rambling idiot but I'm so glad this conceited lizard woman failed. The dems probably would have won if they hadn't ran basically Satan in a pantsuit. Everything about her seemed horrible and this book seems to prove it (and no I didn't vote for trump either, I abstained.)

She was afraid to commit to policy positions because she figured she was assured a win and in any case no one wouldve believed her because sincerity is really hard for her.

One of the things she whined about was bernie taking 'unrealistic' positions that didnt play into how she preferred to campaign lol.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Rutibex posted:

abstaining is basically a vote for trump you mycologist racist patriarch

I abstained too, shh.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I will say i like the gibbis threads because i can argue with people and people post with different opinions so it's entertaining. I love the trump folks- it's like the difference between going out to the court to shoot by yourself and playing some 3v3. Good stuff.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

skasion posted:

I'm not gonna read this thread because it seems like its pretty retarded, but I am reading the book and it's definitely worth reading.

The biggest takeaway is that Hilldawg, Billdawg, and almost all of their senior aides and campaign functionaries, are enormous assholes. The ONLY leading member of the campaign that doesn't come off as a petty, backbiting little bitch is Jake Sullivan. Going purely by what the book says, Mook was a powerhungry little weasel who constantly undercut everyone else, Podesta was constantly on the verge of stroking out, and everyone was constantly suspicious that Huma was misrepresenting their positions to Hillary because they didn't have any other means of communication with their actual boss.

In addition to that her management style was completely dysfunctional, with no clear hierarchy apart from "Hillary rules ok". Whenever she felt someone had hosed up enough to be fired she wouldn't fire them, because she was worried they would rat on her to the press (this actually happened in 2008 so I guess it's understandable but drat). She would just strip them of responsibility by degrees and keep them hanging around as one more increasingly useless cook clogging up the kitchen while someone else usurped the actual work of their job with no change in their job title. Podesta and Mook absolutely hated each other and constantly feuded throughout the election, sometimes with Podesta literally screaming insults at Mook to his face. She did nothing to stop this or even suggest it was not a good thing. The way the book tells the story it's not clear she was even aware of it. Her hosed up campaign staff honestly reminds me of how the Nazi government was structured, with multiple levels of redundant bureaucracy and overlapping portfolios that got to do their jobs or not based solely on how well they could talk poo poo about one another and suck up to Hitler. But at least Hitler purged the underlings he was sick of.

I think the book suffers from being a bunch of unsubstantiated, anonymous snipes within a campaign because that's the only book you can make 6 months after the event. I think most of the stories are true, though the participants may not be the ones mentioned.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly having ideas and believing in them would be a real step up from what happened last election.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

spacetoaster posted:

So you support the right for a woman to have an abortion all the way up until the moment the baby is delivered?

I mean, I think all abortion should be illegal all the time because I just hate women, but I'm curious how far you go for choice.

Yep. Nobody's going to get an abortion that late unless its medically necessary. I don't see the reason the law needs to get involved.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

King Vidiot posted:

It did, except he wasn't wrong.

Like, here's a radical idea, instead of crying about how some mean old man is calling you out on being a corporate puppet, why not just try not being a corporate puppet?

Most of the people interviewed for the book are more sympathetic to hillary than the average person. People on Hillary's campaign team are gonna be like that.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

VikingSkull posted:

my favorite part of modern media is how they are terrified of people like PewDiePie

just lmao

I don't think a negative article is a sign of fear lol and then pdp had a meltdown about it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Youtube celebrities handle criticism like eight-year-olds because they're used to nothing but adoration.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

VikingSkull posted:

except there were actually dozens of articles about it and they all hit at the same time

it was pretty amazing actually, and I hate the guy

Only one of them even came close to calling him a nazi, most of them just mentioned one of his vids.

Then pdp dumps hours of material about how hes being censored.

I have a hard time feeling sympathy. Its the internet, people poo poo on each other.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

nigga crab pollock posted:

dude the first google result from the washington post when you google 'pewdiepie nazi' literally calls pewdiepie a nazi in the title

Poor widdle millionaire pdp got his feels hurt.

Btw i read the wapo article and it never calls him a nazi, it mostly just quotes his screed about how everyones out to get him.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 20, 2017

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

except it calls him a nazi in the loving title you moron lmao

No, it referred to a Nazi joke. You don't read articles i guess.

But maybe i just don't 'get' pdp.

Article title:An attack by the media’: Pewdiepie apologizes for Nazi jokes but says the press is out to get him

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

the content of articles is pretty much the least important part of them. it's not like they have actual writers, just unpaid 20-something interns who have never left the western seaboard. if the rise of clickbait titles hasn't clued you in the titles are pretty much the only important part of articles because they get more impressions than the text of the article and it is the primary hook for clicks, which is the thing that makes them money. and it was an anti-semitic joke and not really a nazi joke so the only reason they would say it's a nazi joke is to make the implication that pewdiepie is a nazi. if you are orchestrating a hit campaign that is pretyt much exactly what you do, you write articles that slightlyu misconstrue the situation and make associations between the target and a straw man such as that the anti semitism that a person exhibits makes them a nazi, which while related has much broader and worse implications than a jew joke

Article title not sympathetic enough: a conspiracy.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Mook had more money than his opponent and his response was to pinch pennies as much as possible.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

VikingSkull posted:

I wonder if they just pocketed the difference.....

Election finance is public record and thats probably not a place to launder money. If they were pocketing it it would be 'spent'.

I imagine both candidates came out of the election richer than when they started though, lol.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

lorn Wayne posted:

moment of silence for Jeb and his epic moneypit escapade please.

Please clap

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Grumpo posted:

So has anyone actually read the book? What was Bill doing the whole time considering he ya know, won two campaigns and could offer pointed, accurate advice about demographics and swing states?

Bill was a mixed bag. He had a decent understanding of what was going on but he also had some pretty bad appearances. Bill was campaigning for Hillary within the strategy given by the campaign team.

He also had a nasty habit of amplifying Hillary's worst traits within the campaign.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Hillary hated non-scripted, non-directed interaction with voters because she was afraid of heckling in a way Bill was not. The problem is, this got Bill in hot water a couple of times, when he tried to argue superpredators with someone from BLM.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah this. Being from the NY metro area I've known about him for my whole life and the last thing I'd do is call him dumb. You don't navigate NY/NJ real estate, especially in the 80's, as an idiot, it would be impossible.

Like Dubya, he's not book smart, and extrapolating that to "lol he dumb" is a dangerous strategy for his opponents to take.

The most brilliant thing about his campaign was the way he could get a free national tv spot whenever he wanted which saved a lot more money than rob mook refusing to campaign in michigan.

I don't think they thought through the advantages a reality tv star has in an election, especially when running against someone devoid of personality.

I think most people knew trump was dishonest, but the only opponent who could seem less honest than trump was hillary nixon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

poisonpill posted:

Oh wait, did Hillary ever actually even say she'd help coal miners and millennials?

She tried to realtalk but it just made it even worse.

• Locked thread