Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

spacetoaster posted:

Why would a book about Hillary's campaign also be all about Trump?

Well, that's all her campaign was about. I mean yeah, Trump is awful, but Hillary didn't really give us any big selling points for her. Other than she isn't Trump. And has been doing this forever so she "deserves" it. And it would be nice to have a lady president, I guess. And that she would uphold the status quo and everything was going great in America already (it's not.)

Also throwing Bernie Sanders under the bus really didn't help her campaign. I know many voters who aren't terribly pleased about that! Myself included.

Hillary Clinton will go down in history as the person who lost to Donald Trump, possibly the biggest imbecile ever to grace the white house, and she was a major player in the demise of the Democratic party. In medieval Japan and ancient Rome, when you hosed up that badly, you would typically go for an honorable suicide than live in disgrace. So what I'm saying is that the Clintons should all probably commit seppuku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

does it talk about how the dnc supported trump in an attempt to sabotage the republican primary in favor of a candidate clinton could easily beat?

Oh yeah, they literally did that and hoooooo boy did it backfire

Hillary Clinton is more or less directly responsible for President Trump.

It must be embarrassing beyond belief not only to lose to an idiotic reality TV star, but to also rig your own election yet still manage to lose

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

At this rate, if the Democratic party keeps it up, the USA will be a one-party state

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

What a lovely, compassionate fellow.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

At this rate, if the Democratic party keeps it up, the USA will be a one-party failed state

Yeah.... I look at US politics and what's going on in Europe and I think that we're kinda sorta doomed. No use fighting it.

You know, this stuff have been boiling for decades and we probably could have prevented all of this, but the last couple administrations failed to do any course-correction so here we are. We've kinda crossed the Rubicon.

I get a kick out of the folks who say they're "the resistance" and are pretending they're in a Star Wars movie fighting the Evil Empire. Okay, so rule #1 about being in an actual resistance movement \ rebellion is you don't put it on a bumper sticker on your car or post it on Facebook because that makes you an enemy of the state. Oh yeah, and actual rebels kill people and get killed themselves so I hope you're prepared for that. We got a lot of incredibly deluded people who think they can be "heroic" "freedom fighters" by throwing around hashtags and playing pretend.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Pick posted:

I still don't like Sanders, because he didn't have a track record of getting any poo poo done. And 12 years of "hope and change" evaporating into faint scents of horse piss is too long to expect to ever have an engaged electorate again.

Sherrod Brown or bust.

I knew from the get go that a President Bernie Sanders would accomplish absolutely nothing as Congress would block anything he tried to do, I mainly just wanted him in office so he could veto poo poo.

Pick posted:

I don't have huge problems with George Bush Sr. but boh oh boy do his sons suck rear end.

I dunno. I didn't think I'd ever say this, but between the Trump administration and the sinking ship of the Democratic party, I almost kinda miss Dubya:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCm9788Tb5g

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

phasmid posted:

Yeah, but Sander's record and accomplishments don't count because IT'S NOT HIS TURN!

The whole "accomplishment" thing is the DNC/Clintonite wolf-whistle for "white man equals racist, misogynist nazi transphobe".

Also Bernie Sanders is Jewish so calling him a Nazi is even dumber and shittier than usual. And the first non-Christian president would be even more progressive than the first woman one, even though a lot of dopes think Obama was a secret Muslim.

However that accomplishment also applied to the other candidates too, because Hillary Clinton worships Satan and Trump worships himself.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Orkin Mang posted:

yeah i read somewhere that a lot of people who vote republican really only do it bc of abortion, like lots of catholics are pretty liberal especially economically.lots of catholic thinkers--pope eg--are not libertarian capitalists and the church has a long history of being opposed to it. etcetc. its kind of a turnoff though when noone can articulate why they think abortion is okay,not saying there arent any arguments there certainly are but its not like people hate 'choice' or some bs when its an anthropological question and a very complex one. if my neighbor head was fused to my leg in a welding accident i cant cut him head off with a chisel right

I grew up Catholic so maybe that explains my views, although I really don't give a poo poo about abortion. I'm agnostic and think there probably isn't a God, but I really like the current Pope and I actually agree with him on a ton of stuff. I went and saw the Vatican recently and it was pretty neat.

I've been wondering lately if maybe I need to find God again.

Pick posted:

Israel made less sense to me before this election and I got to hear how many people actually do hate Jews. (What's to hate about 'em? They're totally normal.)

I seriously don't get why the Jews get so much hate. I have a lot of Jewish friends and family and they're usually pretty cool.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'm not gonna buy this but I hope those chapo trap house folks tear it apart

in an ironic twist I now hate her pretty much at the same level as my conservative friends/family so that's a fun time at least

You know poo poo has gone nuts when I actually start to agree with my conservative parents on some things, like Hillary Clinton being the devil

I suppose the one upside to the USA being one giant clusterfuck is this has at least brought me a little closer to my family lol

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Pick posted:

Sorry, basement weirdoes of SA, but I've spent the last ten years being forced to work with normal folks, many of which do not have college degrees and a fair number of which don't have highschool degrees either, and they do not loving know who Pinochet was.

The ivory tower, is you.

In your defense, when I told someone in the factory that I was going to Italy with my family, she asked if we were gonna drive there.

The vast majority of Americans, and in fact, human beings are insanely stupid, including both me and you.

I think it should now be very apparent that we're all dumbasses with little to no understanding how to actually fix things, especially the people who say they do. People with degrees and 4.0 GPAs are just as dumb, look at me for example

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

bonerjam posted:

Part of why you're so insufferable, Pick, is because you throw out some obscure fact about an irrelevant country and go "boom see I'm so smart America is terrible"

You live in loving Portland you don't know anything.

The dumbest people are those who think they're smart, because they're too stupid to realize how stupid they are

In other words humility is a virtue

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Granted the most infuriatingly dumb smart people I know are STEMS.

The most infuriatingly dumb and terrible people I know almost always work in sales and marketing.

This is followed by people who are humanities majors because they were busy doing English, Theatre, Art Appreciation and Women's Studies and have no actual useful skills or knowledge applicable to the real world. Seriously, if you aren't going to college to get useful skills, you're wasting your money.

I'm very interested in History and Paleontology but I also kinda wanted to be able to get a job, too.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Americans have voted for personality vs. policy since probably the inception of this country, this is nothing new at all

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

nice Brexit, idiot

Yeah the UK and in fact most of Europe is looking like a glass house right about now so I'm not sure if I'd throw anything if I were you

But, I look at the Trump Administration, Hillary's campaign, and European politics and it gives me some solace that complete and utter stupidity is a trait shared by people of all walks of life, political affiliations, education levels and international borders.

So as a species, let us all join hands and be united in that we're all loving idiots

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

literally a hog posted:

This is from a different book that came out a while back, but its funny and stuck in my mind. Who knows if its true:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-penthouse.html

omg I sincerely hope that story is true because that's amazing

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

bonerjam posted:

I want to know which staffer thought it was a good idea for her to whip and nae nae.

Like who the gently caress did she have working for her that was like "hey the people see you robotic, out of touch, and unlikable so maybe you should nae nae that'll show them." and all it does is make her look even more robotic and out of touch and wonder who uploaded naenae.dnc onto her microsd card for her for that day because she sure as gently caress didn't think that bullshit up herself.

Trump may be a jagoff but at least he is who he is. You never got that design by committee feeling that Hillary exuded constantly.

Yeah the thing about Trump that's almost kind of appealing is that what you see is what you get. He is an enormous narcissistic scumbag and makes no attempt to hide it and I can kinda appreciate that.

Meanwhile you have folks like Ted Cruz and Hillary desperately trying to look like normal human beings and they just come out off as even more phony and weird. Trump doesn't try to hide how filthy and the incompetent he is, he embraces it.

It's almost like a weird kind of honest dishonesty.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Pawl posted:

I hope the democrats double down on identity politics and eventually splinter into a good liberal party that isn't bogged down by gender/race nonsense.

Well, for one, they're already doubling down on Identity politics. And liberals have in fact splintered into opposing camps not just in the US, but all over the industrialized world.

The problem with this is when liberals are busy fighting with each other, conservatives win. And liberals are almost always fighting with each other. And human beings are not creatures that learn well from mistakes or even like to admit they make mistakes, so the Democratic party is going to keep digging a deeper and deeper grave until its no more.

People sure love to call everyone Hitler, but the thing about his rise to power that everyone forgets is the complete and utter collapse of liberal parties in Germany. And the fact that you had Nazis and Communists fighting each other in the streets and complete anarchy.

And no, I'm not saying Trump is Hitler, even though people love to say that. He has more in common with Julius Caesar in that he gained popular support of the military and working class while the elites in charge of the Roman Republic hated his guts with a passion. Oh yeah, and the Roman Republic was extremely divided and had constant violence and civil wars.

I'm willing to bet if the ruling class in the USA can't successfully impeach Trump, they'll probably try to kill him. And that would be very bad because it would probably result in either a civil war, us really losing our civil liberties, or both.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

He's a tremendous boorish rear end in a top hat who bullshitted his way into the presidency but that does take some actual talent of a certain sort.

He doesn't know anything about governing/policy but drat if he doesn't know how to control a media cycle- he made The Gatekeepers to Power (Traditional Media, Old Guard Republicans, Career Politicians of every stripe) look like a bunch of loving idiots again and again.

*in extremely nasally weak voice*

"Uhhhh excuse me Mr. Trump but your claim that you played golf on the moon and got a hole in one every time ranks 4 out of 5 Pinocchios on the Politifact Truth-O-Meter! How will you address this?"

"Mr. Trump your claim that you are impervious to bullets and can survive in the vacuum of space is spurious at best!"

"Mr. Trump we are going to have to fact check your claim that you are actually a cyborg from the far-flung future who has all the answers to life's mysteries!!!! Do not make us fact check you yet again!!!"

That, and the media are constantly digging themselves into holes these days and completely evaporating any trust people place in them. Even outlets that used to be respectable.

The Patriots picture thing is just an example. Or saying Trump just threw a kid's hat away when a wider shot shows he threw it to a kid.

I'm like Jesus, there's a huge laundry list of legitimate things wrong with Donald Trump that you could go with, but when you roll with poo poo like this all you do is destroy your own credibility and shoot yourself in the foot.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

They've got to make anyone who's not on their team a caricature of evil and/or stupidity.

It's one of the reasons people these days can't even talk to others anymore. "Oh!?! You've got one tiny difference of opinion on an social issue!?! Un-friended!!!!"

It's really, really bad. Our country is so divided that people can't even talk to each other anymore and our society can barely function. How many times did the government shut down again last administration?

I would say that Fox News started this poo poo, but they are far from being the only ones who are guilty. Both sides of the fence are basically propaganda outlets now and with every end of the media constantly spewing bullshit it's hard if not impossible to be an informed voter and fully understand what's going on. And that has very ominous repercussions for democracy.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I think Trump is some kind of idiot savant, because he has the uncanny ability to make his opponents look like complete fools, all the while not remembering the name of the country he's bombing or appointing a guy who didn't realize what the Holocaust was.

skasion posted:

The way they approached the campaign was "everyone already knows who Hillary is and has made up their mind about her. So it's more cost effective to make sure we can turn out every single person who already likes her, than it is to waste time changing the minds of the people who already dislike her." Obviously in hindsight this was a crap idea, but that really seems to have been the way they thought about it. It's not worth coming up with an economic message to sway rust belt voters because we all know she's just going to screw them over anyway, so let's ignore them and preach to the choir.

It's the most retarded thing ever, because you know, the whole entire point of a campaign is to try and convince people to want to vote for you.

The Hillary campaign didn't do that. All it really said was "Donald Trump is a bad man" and while that is in fact true, it doesn't make people want to vote for you. What actually happened is nobody showed up to the polls at all because both Trump and Hilldawg are lovely as gently caress.

It should be painfully obvious to everyone, but Donald Trump is in office in a large part due to the DNC's utter ineptitude.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Accretionist posted:

In your analyses, always remember this: Conservatism is literally a plot to bring back the Gilded Age.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_F._Powell_Jr.#Powell_Memorandum

Well-functioning government is mutually exclusive with their agenda.

They're not plotting on bringing the Gilded Age back, they succeeded in doing it decades ago

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Accretionist posted:

Just don't forget how much more they can take away:
  • Public Education
  • Non-Toll Highways
  • FDA
  • EPA
  • National Parks
  • etc.

You forgot social security and medicare. I'm sure all these things are probably going away and more!

spacetoaster posted:

I have to scroll past everything on FB now. Memes from my lefty friends about how christian white men are all creepy rapists, memes from my righty friends about how atheists want to make anime real.

I had to like unfollow most people on facebook and I quit twitter entirely.

Holy hell do people loving loathe each other these days and drat is it vicious. It's already gotten violent and it's going to escalate and get worse. It's like everyone is infected with a drat hate plague and has gone mad with complete unbridled rage.

One time I poked a beehive on these very forums and had people flipping out and telling me I'm human scum who should be dead. People be crazy these days.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

The only people I unfollow are people that spam like 15 cat videos a day, or just post endlessly about how depressed they are and nobody can understand them.

I get that everyone has a few (or many) beliefs that seem crazy to people that don't share them, so I let stuff slide by. I'm also really strict about only having FB friends that I know IRL (so only about 60) so if I see a truly crazy opinion I can temper it with the knowledge that this is a person that I know and like.

See I get around a lot and I have like 400 "friends" on facebook and twitter each so that might explain my problem a bit

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Speaking from a lefty perspective, left twitter is constantly eating itself (more than usual) post election and it loving sucks so bad. It was fun during the primaries and even throughout the GE, but between Syria, antifa protests and constant relitigation of the primaries it's totally unusable.

Delete your twitter, that's what I did and life is much better now

I tried to use tweetdeck to filter out certain words and accounts from being retweeted, but it just wasn't enough and I had to kill the whole thing. Twitter is a constant spew of 24/7 outrage and the only people who still use it are those who are addicted to being mad at things.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I really wish that Vince McMahon was Trump's running mate. Just imagine him in the White House.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

bonerjam posted:

this is a real good post.

Actually if the election was like a battle royale type situation I'd probably actually bother to vote. Also someone please make an illustration of Trump drinking E&J out of Hillary's skull.

They should bring back gladiatorial combat, how come that went outta style again?

If I were president, I would bring that back. I would also change my title to 'Emperor' instead of 'President' and wear a toga and make our soldiers look like stormtroopers. "American Empire" sounds cooler than "USA" doesn't it?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

United States of the Imperium is cooler IMO

Probably, but then Games Workshop would sue

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

If anything, I just kinda feel like a disenfranchised voter. One of the only people in Washington who actually represented my interests got thrown under a bus. It's really evident that both major parties in the US are complete poo poo, and third parties are a joke. I voted for Hillary very begrudgingly. I might not bother voting again at this rate. When both choices would gladly stomp on my face, that doesn't give me a lot of incentive to pick one.

And what do you know, I'm not alone because voter turnout was absolutely abysmal and the worst it's ever been.

I used to be a Democrat but now I'm just... nothing. If they run Hillary again or someone like Mark Zuckerburg who has been considering a run, I absolutely won't vote.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

IDGI. Like half the countries worth mentioning had women leaders by now, why's US so special. Freaking India had a female PM in the early 80s...

Yeah, I don't really understand why a female president of the US would even be that big of a deal. There's been female Prime Ministers of tons of countries for years and years. Margaret Thatcher, Angela Merkel... hell, even India and Turkey have had them. Why is the gender of the US president so important?

Actually getting a black guy in the white house seems like a much, much bigger deal. Or a gay guy. Or a Jew. *cough cough I voted for Bernie Sanders cough*

Recently, rich white girls have started to pretend that they're some kind of oppressed group when they're really.... not. At all. Not even remotely.

Meanwhile these same white girls who act all "oppressed" clutch their purses when a brother walks by. And then maybe call the cops because they thought that black guy was breaking into his own car.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

gumdrops posted:

The outcome of an election is not determined by those who vote, but by those who don't vote. Since 1945 or so, we have had pretty close elections, with not much more than half of the people voting. In the 1968 election about 80 million voted, and about 50 million qualified to vote did not. The outcome was determined by the 50 million who didn't vote. If you could have got 2 percent of the nonvoters to the polls to vote for your candidate, you could have elected him. And that has been true of most of our recent elections. It's the ones who don't vote who determine the outcome.

Then maybe politicians in the running should do a better job with their campaigns and make me actually want to vote for them.

Hillary didn't try to do that. She literally didn't bother to try and convince people to vote for her. She just catered to people who were already fans. That is not a winning strategy.

All the Hillary campaign succeeded in was getting people to not vote for Trump. And Trump himself was enough to convince people not to vote for Trump. The Democratic party has costed by on being the lesser of two evils for decades, but it just isn't good enough anymore.

And I somehow doubt the DNC is going to learn. It's pretty much human nature to never admit you made mistakes and blame someone else for your problems. Our political system is also insanely corrupt and basically functions on the bribes of wealthy special interests and caters to them to survive, but it's paradoxically at odds with what the majority of voters actually want. The Democratic party is in an awkward position where it thrives off of corrupt, wealthy individuals, but also needs people to vote for them to survive, which are two things that are at odds with each other.

The Republican party can get away with being ruthless corporate shills because as long as they say that they're all about Jesus and guns, people will vote for them. They've also managed to convince a huge number of people that trickle down economics is a thing that's actually good. What the dems have right now is idpol, but that's a sinking ship that's turning more and more people against them.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I don't believe most conspiracy stories because our government is far too inept to actually pull poo poo like that off successfully

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I don't really give a poo poo about how osama bin laden died and if we actually killed him or not

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I kinda feel like the best way to go is to just make laws that are not specific to any group of people and apply to everyone regardless of said group whenever possible. You're not going to end racism through legislation. Making something law isn't going to change hearts and minds.

Now obviously, there are some exceptions to laws about specific groups, like maternal leave.

Stuff like Affirmative Action I'm a little unsure about. Yes, it's good to get people from historically disadvantaged groups into better positions. And the people hiring them might very well discriminate against them. But, by making it law, you give particular groups preferential treatment and that will often cause resentment when someone else who worked just as hard didn't get the job. Is Affirmative Action helping fight racism, or is it making racism worse? I don't know.

I fully believe in equality and that all Americans should have equal rights. But, when you try to force equality by gunpoint, is it really equality at all?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

phasmid posted:

It never ceases to amaze me when giant transnational companies that shape laws worldwide pretend to care about minorities because it's "in" right now and people buy it.

You may know some ignorant shitkickers that love inequality, but it's the rich and the business class that benefit the most from racism and bigotry. They don't conjure it up from nothing, but if you pay attention you'll notice they do very little to change it.

It's almost like the age old strategy of Divide and Conquer has evolved.

There's plenty of old-fashioned racists, but that's largely socially unacceptable these days. The more popular form of bigotry in the modern era is disguised as liberal benevolence. It's "the white man's burden."

The end result is that you still get poor people fighting among themselves instead of joining together, just like the Southern Strategy. But this time it has a "friendlier face."

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

The fun thing about NY is a lot of the PoC's there are immigrants, and fairly conservative on some issues.

Ask a Jamaican dude what he thinks about LGBT issues if you want a laugh.

What's really funny is that if the Republicans hadn't pushed the Southern Strategy and invited a ton of racists into their ranks, and just stuck to social conservatism and lovin' Jesus and guns minus the whole racism thing, they would probably command a HUGE portion of the minority vote.

Where I live and work is like 50% black and let me tell you, the main reason why black people vote Democrat is because dudes like Bill O'Reilly are openly racist. Well, that and the whole thing with Nixon and Goldwater I just mentioned. And a lot of Mexicans aren't too fond of Trump for, well, obvious reasons.

Racist shitheads and neoconfederates are probably too numerous and powerful to actually purge them from the Republican party. But if it weren't for that poo poo, the GOP would probably have the minority vote in the bag.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Rutibex posted:

nah, english culture is the best

I dunno what the best culture is, but it sure as hell ain't the fuckin' english

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

He got over 30% of the hispanic vote. That'll go up after NAFTA is burned I'm sure.

Yeah. I think we may be going through a repeat of the 1960's where the two parties flip sides again.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Nope, I think we're in a transition to a completely new era. The DNC is going to fall first and then the GOP.

No idea what takes their place but neither party is long for this world.

Both parties probably would have been dead years ago if it weren't for the fact that we have a lovely two party system.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

I would have won if LEAKERS didn't tell everyone I was a huge rear end in a top hat!!!

*Loses to a guy everyone already knows is a huge rear end in a top hat anyway*

I've said it many times before, the one thing I kind of appreciate about Trump over Hillary is that Trump is just utterly brazen and shameless about how much of an rear end in a top hat he is. A typical politician like Hillary is two-faced as hell and tries to pretend they're a decent human being, but you can tell how fake they're being. Trump is a gigantic douchebag and makes no attempt to hide it and in fact revels in it.

basic hitler posted:

I nearly forgot this story but you reminded me and i feel compelled yo share. My 15 year old self briefly set my steam handle to a jewish surname for steam/counter strike, to mess with some skinheads that kept popping in on my home server. The clan that ran it wouldnt ban them because they toed the line enough to not be outright racist in comms. I hated this so on top of the name change I would set my family bible on the computer desk and recite from the Torah. The bait worked and i got them banned by puppet mastering a very racist meltdown from someone. That weekend featured his aryan posse joining the server specifically to scream incoherent nazi bullshit in legit hate and anger towards me, and i changed it and dropped the act when someone with a security background actually doxxed me and began to harass me under the pretext of me being for real Jewish, even though the word got out it was just a troll. I got mailed a box of poo poo with the turds organized into a swastika. My parents filed a police report lol

This happened because i named myself Goldstein and recited leviticus at someone.

lamo that's amazing

Sebastien Lenorman posted:

This, but unironically. I honestly think there is going to be a civil war over this petty poo poo.

People are often very liberal in youth and a certain percentage later rethink these beliefs, in fact converts (in religion and politics) are often the most radical. There is a lot of truth to the old "If you're not liberal by 20 you have no heart, and if you're not conservative by 30 you have no brain" phrase, if only to demonstrate how common this political flip-flop is. But an unusual amount of young people compared to 10 or 20 years ago are embracing nativism and patriarchy. Like someone said earlier in the thread "Jump into a game of counter-strike and see"

I just turned 30 and I've flip-flopped politically a ton of times over my lifetime. My parents are conservative Catholics so I was that until I was a teenager, then I became liberal when I realized I didn't actually believe in God, then during college I had a Libertarian phase, then became liberal again, then went full SJW, then realized I was being an rear end in a top hat, now I guess I'm a moderate with strong feelings of "gently caress you" to both political parties.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

It's probably a good rule of thumb that institutions that deal with matters of life and death shouldn't be privatized and given a for-profit motive. Things like health care, fire departments, the police, armies...

They tried private fire departments, but abandoned that idea when whole city blocks started burning down.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Rutibex posted:

private armies did wonders for the roman republic

Yeah, a period of civil wars that ended in dictatorship. And then more civil wars and dictatorships. And then much later they dropped the ball and got conquered by barbarians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I wonder when it'll get to the point where senators are stabbing each other to death during meetings

• Locked thread