Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Poor hillary clinton, forced to run against her will by the tyrant bad president Obama, helpless against the foolish whims of The Electorate, unable to alter her destiny by even the slightest of margins. Remember when Hillary started running a fantastic campaign and then Obama called her and made her change her slogan to "America is already great" and run nothing but negative ads on Trump....geez louise Obama get your act together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

actually it was the hat

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Kiryen posted:

As opposed to the party that wants to raise the minimum wage to what I'm already making and claimed they helped me while they take contributions from every rich fucklord in Silicon Valley.

you make 12 dollars an hour? goondolences my man

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i would hesitate to call the modern democratic party a political organization as opposed to a group of highly paid think tankers who specialize in losing elections

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Kiryen posted:

Moderates: "You know, calling people racists is pretty stupid if you want them to agree with you"

Left: *STOP SHILLING FOR WHITE SUPREMACISTS!!!*

*Lose presidency, congress, most state governments*

*continue pretending racism is anything but a slur*

yeah clearly the problem with clinton was she listened to leftists too much and wasn't moderate enough

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Pick posted:

Obama is completely paper-thin and so arrogant that he thinks that he is actually some perfect entitled king when he didn't manage to do poo poo other than look good in a suit. It's no wonder he fellated coastal liberal cities, they're exactly his type. If he'd had a different major in college, he'd be programming apps that deliver cottage cheese via drone (instead of using them to shoot people).

Frankly, Trump and Obama are two sides of the same ridiculous entitlement. Nobody liked Hillary but she had the credentials. Obama barely had better credentials than Trump.

hillary clinton ran the most arrogant and entitled campaign of all time, she treated it like a vicotry lap

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Pick posted:

Obama treated it like his victory lap too. He told people to vote for her as a vote for "his legacy". It's not like he was going to the important states either.

yeah but he won

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Pick posted:

any loving idiot could have won running as a D after GWB, just like almost any R could win after BHO

clinton specifically campaigned on continuing obamas policies and offered very little policy to distinguish herself. she spent the vast majority of time attacking trump and explaining how impossible it is to do things people actually want

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Kiryen posted:

You're right, pointing out why the Democrats lost almost all elections definitely calls for distorting it back onto Hillary and pretending there's no larger issue that resulted in losing everything else as well.

Hillary wasn't moderate primarily because she had no actual beliefs at all.

this is the hillary clinton book thread for talking about the hillary clinton election she lost, i assumed we were talking about her?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i question Picks assertion that anyone with a "d" could have won in 2008, because that's what the democrats thought in 2004 as well when they elected noted french traitor john kerry

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Pick posted:

Bernie's still a moron and would have lost key states, and even if he'd gotten in he'd have gotten nothing done.

haha yeah that bernie guys a total rube, bet he wouldn't have even campaigned in michigan in order to play mind games with trump

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Pick posted:

Nothing would have happened, period. Bernie doesn't have inroads even among the Democrats, because he's not one, among other issues. And it would be a problem, because unlike Obama '08, there wouldn't even be a short term of getting anything done and it would discourage voters for life. Bernie had no leverage to make any promises come true, and you can't flub hope/change twice in a row and expect people to battered-wife their way back to the polls for round 3.

it's seriously pathetic how you're writing fanfiction about how bernie getting nominated would somehow lead to even even worse reality than this one, where trump is president and the republicans are in charge of everything

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Yug posted:

Yeah seriously. I hope Trump gets his 1 trillion dollar infrastructure package too.

im all about infrastructure spending but his package is largely tax incentives and cuts so :shrug:

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I know, I got to this thread way too late. The failure of Hillary Clinton's campaign is legitimately fascinating though.

the greeks would write an epic about it if they weren't busy with getting totally hosed atm

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

in all honesty trump is probably the best republican president because he is extremely incompetent at accomplishing things. i fully expect this post to bite me in the rear end once we get into nuclear war with north korea.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i don't know why you would want your political enemies to be intelligent and competent, really

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Except for appointing Supreme Court Justices. :colbert:

argh, ya got me!!

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Blue Raider posted:

this is the most hindsight is 20/20 situation in the history of the world

yeah its amazing how inevitable a clinton victory felt when everything was so incredibly dysfuncional and how little genuine enthusiasm there was for her

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

lol theres campaign staff on twitter posting pics from the campaign trail where everyone is smiling to try and disprove the book excerpts, as if even the most dysfunctional corporation in the world doesn't have plenty of photos of employees smiling and laughing

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

*jeb goes to pay for his campaign and guacomole spills out his pocket*

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

jeb bush perpetually leaves a trail of guacamole wherever he goes. its how they tracked him down and forced him to run for prez when all he wanted was to stay in his tree fort

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

moving on from whatever this is, someone earlier asked why people hate chelsea clinton and this article sums it up pretty well

an honest to god chesea clinton quote posted:

I wrote a letter to President Reagan when I was five to voice my opposition to his visit to the Bitburg cemetery in Germany, because Nazis were buried there. I didn’t think an American president should honor a group of soldiers that included Nazis. President Reagan still went, but at least I had tried in my own small way.

essentially she's moving into the public sphere and getting fawned over by the usual garbage reporting crowd despite having nothing interesting or insightful to say or demonstrating any leadership qualities, and has also contemplated running for office.

if she was just living her life on her own i woudnt give a poo poo about some magazine cover but it's looking like she wants to be a public figure which, ugh. she's literally married to a goldman sachs banker and her first foray into politics was heckling an antiwar rally in 2001

quote:

But students at Oxford said today that far from people approaching her, Ms Clinton has been looking for an argument. Eight days ago she attended an anti-war rally at Oxford town hall with a group of friends. Not only did they hang an American flag across the wall, the group heckled from the floor, calling out: "How do you catch Osama, then?"

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

sure our candidate is categorically bad in every way but it's vital to vote for the lesser of two evils so things will only get somewhat worse instead of way worse

*after the election* why the gently caress didn't you vote? this is all YOUR fault

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Amarcarts posted:

You gotta limit your poo poo to like two sentences like you would in an in-person conversation. I'm not gonna read paragraphs of poo poo unless it's erotica.

i doubt you can make it past two sentences then either

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

people are writing fanfiction time to gas

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i don't support any form of marriage. im anarchoamorous

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Rutibex posted:

nah, english culture is the best

unless you don't need to eat this is patently untrue

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

*to oliver twist*

Yug posted:

There are billions of people on earth who want your privileges instead of theirs. Be grateful for what you have.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

"democrats dont vote at midterms" isnt some cosmic law of the universe, its only because dems are massively disappointing once presidential election season is over and therefore their base is dispirited

Stexils fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 5, 2017

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

I don't think Trump and Pence are some kind of best friends or anything. And I don't think that Pence is going to have that much influence considering that 40% of republicans are in favor of gay marriage ( and 30% of the democrats are still against it).

it's not like there was some kind of secret cabal forcing trump to pick pence as his running mate. if you pick someone for the vice presidency presumably that means you agree with their positions, it's not unreasonable to think a president will be bad for gays when his running mate is a guy who's famous for advocating electroshock therapy

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Rutibex posted:

the secret cabal is call the Republican Party :ssh:

if trump cared enough to stand up for gay people he would have pushed back :shrug:

the argument that pence doesn't matter is that trump is a person so void of thought he didn't care who his running mate was at all, which might be true but if so means that he's not going to take a principled stand for gay people if he doesn't care enough to choose a veep who doesn't hate their guts

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

oh absolutely, hillary demonstrably is just going along with whichever way the wind is blowing given that she flipped the moment gay marriage was at 51 percent

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i have absolutely no idea why clinton picked kaine. maybe to reinforce her as the "safe, stable" choice? he's the blandest bland

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

don't forget the financial market crash that's pretty much guaranteed to happen in the next 4 years :razz:

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

is that insane penchat thread still going? we should get some Pen Goons to weigh in

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

in these trying times, only one stock will perform consistently well. the guillotine.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

loving cory booker. 2020 is going to be booker vs zuckerberg vs clinton: part 3 and trump will win in a landslide

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Blue Train posted:

She is a strong independent woman with no ties to wall street and to imply anything else is sexist drivel

i know this is a joke but i just want to point out her husband works for goldman sachs

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the only way the ACA would be the "first step" toward reform is if it had a public option that could later be expanded, which is the reason insurance companies and their paid shills in the government fought tooth and nail to make sure it didn't have one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Eh there's potential value in both; depending on where you are the Democrats might be a useful font of resources to use to improve local governments that the cultists at the top don't care about, but when they're not willing to give you what you want it's absolutely vital that you be willing to bail and seek out better offers elsewhere. Win or lose, as Obama and Clinton carefully explained to progressives many times, there's no point in making any effort to appeal to someone you think will just slavishly back you anyway, but they have to actually cut a deal with the swing voters.

the most insane arguments ive ever seen were people berating democrats for being unenthusiastic about voting again for the same dems in 2012 after all their fuckups 2008-2012. the claim was that it's vital to always vote for a democrat and fall in line, no matter how toothless or ineffectual they are or how little they represent your interests, so that the democrats have a safe environment where they always win and only then can they begin moving left once they're assured to always be in power. people who think you need to fall in line and always vote D no matter what have no grasp on reality

• Locked thread