Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Pick posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

You can dress it up all you like but in the USA, elections are run on "Same as before" or "Different as before". If Obama had been good, people would have voted for "Same as before". He was not.

Hillary was "same as before" not in the sense that she represented a continuation of Obama's policies (because that would have been Biden, if anyone). Hillary was "same as before" in that she ran, and lost, and the nation said "no thanks Hillary" and she kept coming back. It doesn't help that she'd been absolutely slandered in a media war for 30 years, whereas Obama came in not carrying that baggage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it seemed like a safe bet if you only talked to upper management of multibillion-dollar companies, who would tend to agree with the idea that four years of the President loving around and accomplishing nothing would be worse than four years of the President deliberately and competently destroying everyone who was not upper management of a multibillion-dollar company

This. Even I missed it because I live in an academic liberal bubble and when I walked through my house and heard my racist, dipshit family saying stuff like "gently caress Hillary, that bitch, she's a lying crook just like the rest of them. Trump has nothing to lose because he's already rich also he's gonna put up a wall to keep those loving mexicans out" I just sort of brushed them off because I always brush them off because they're loving stupid.

Serves me right.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

fruit on the bottom posted:

Lol there's no loving way $20 minimum wage was going to happen. $15 is barely happening in TYOOL 2017 for fucks sake.

It's gonna own when they get a federal 15 dollar minimum wage and the republicans win for 30 years straight because it absolutely loving crushes the heartland and the south because they can't afford that poo poo.

"What do you mean San Francisco and Birmingham aren't really the same? I thought we're all the same!"

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Pick posted:

The real shame is that coming down on illegal immigration probably was the right move, but not because there's anything wrong with the immigrants.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.9af4bbb6047f

Not that anyone needed to write an article about it. Those of us in the trenches already knew.

(the racist idiot trenches)

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Rutibex posted:

being anti-immigrant isnt the same as racism.

except for all the times when it is.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Trump is not good at being president.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

SickZip posted:

not being good at being president is his most endearing quality

wanting someone good at being president is like wanting a better virus

The problem isn't even whether someone is good or bad at being president. The problem is that Americans only give a poo poo about the president, and judge all success or failure of the government as a whole as a measure of the president's ability. This means that any time a president makes promises, and fails to deliver them, it causes the people to distrust the government as a whole, and it just keeps going down.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Reform it at the very least because for all the "wahh wahh wee wahh the electoral college protects us good ol' wholesome muricans from the evil clutches of new york and california" in its current state it over-represents the poo poo out of klan country and other, lesser forms of rubes and hayseeds.

It also keeps dipshit republicans in blue states, and moron democrats in red states from even bothering to vote because "I'll never get my way abloo bloo bloo"and guess what? There's more republicans here in Chicagoland than there ever were in Wyoming (because there's more people here in general than there ever were there) and most of them don't even fuckin' bother.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

suburban virgin posted:

The electoral college doesn't even make the top 10 list of Problems in U.S Politics though. The Presidency could be decided by coin toss between two baby-boomers carefully selected for the greatest mix of stupidity, arrogance, and likelihood to develop Alzheimer's and it still wouldn't be a major issue because the Presidency isn't that important.

The fact that the presidency isn't important is an even better reason to do away with it. Every other stupid dipshit serving in the elected positions of the federal government are decided purely by popular vote so who gives a poo poo.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

bonerjam posted:

I actually don't think we should eliminate it but I don't vote so it makes zero difference to me either way.

No poo poo, neither do the other 50% of registered voters. They just sit at home gripping their dicks and crying.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

the fact that no one cares about the electoral college unless their candidate loses by it is how you know it's working as intended

I don't like it when my favored candidate wins. What now, bitch?

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Of course not I listened to Kendrick Lamar's new album on spotify.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

fruit on the bottom posted:

You had to conquer half the world to discover a seasoning other than salt. Your most popular show is about an ancient pedophile who cruises around time and space in a phone booth yelling at things until your FX budget runs out. And for the record, every adaptation of Sherlock Holmes is better when we do it and I'm counting Psych.

You got your rear end kicked by a bunch of drunk rednecks who dressed up like Indians and if you spent half as much time thinking about your elections as you did getting conquered by medieval France, then maybe you wouldn't have exiled yourself from Europe and driven Scotland to considering yet another referendum to leave your rear end.

Wowee that's an awfully poo poo understanding of history and things.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

In much the same way that the New deal/Roosevelt political order that drove the US through to the Carter administration failed and fell apart, Trump might just be the final defender of that Reagan order that replaced it. People were frustrated at the end of the 70s because neither party was offering up anything different or something they thought would benefit them any longer, Reagan changed that. Whoever won this election was going to find themselves quickly becoming unpopular and facing a problem that really transcends what either party can offer given their current wisdom.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://medium.com/@valrendel_88615/gently caress-bernie-loving-sanders-fe49195c97cd

i dont think they have learned poo poo.

yeah. as much as i think the DNC is hosed. I think the GOP is too. its clear they have no loving idea what to do and they cant even pass their poo poo health plan that killes disabled people and poors because its not evil enough for the freedom caucus. Trump while cunning isnt as smart as he pretends to be and may have dementia and he fucks up constantly and not even in the quiet west wing bullshit style of obama. He legit just fucks up and ruins things and gets people killed, plus he is unsubtle as gently caress and might have been in the pocket of putin because he was/is a greedy oval office and wanted to enrich his mongo family and will probably start a war.

his cabinet is full of corrupt pieces of poo poo who openly talk about how letting people die of famine is good, insane christian fundies or dumb ethno nationalists and warmongers. and the house is full of retards/racists/tea partiers. the GOP is dying and the only reason they are still alive is because the poor whites/working class are desperately hoping trump will save them(because the DNC sure as gently caress won't) trump is the last gamble of the GOP and its blowing up in their faces.

People are really taking for granted that Hillary would have been able to get anything done. It's clear now that the tea party people, while originally coming out against anything Obama, are actually not interested in negotiating or cooperating with anyone, even a republican president with a republican dominated congress. The GOP couldn't even make sure that one of the candidates they wanted to win could actually do it. This is because they can no longer predict voter behavior. Same thing with the democrats, who had to basically cheat to make sure the establishment candidate got it. It's not a failure in polling necessarily, it's a failure for the parties themselves to factor in the actual concerns of the voters outside of their established party-thought and framework. This is because the political wisdom that has driven them for the last 37 years doesn't hold up anymore. The political order is failing because it no longer serves the interest of voters. Both parties are going to have to evolve to adapt to this.

A good comparison of this kind of failure of institutional wisdom that is unrelated is what intelligence communities thought about terrorism during and at the end of the Cold War. They all thought that terrorism for the most part was an offshoot of the cold war itself and once all these proxy conflicts ended and the USSR threw in the towel it would all simmer down. Nope! Turns out they were wrong, and the subsequent cutting of funding and little contests they had with each other for ten years over who could keep the most secrets from one another so they could get budget bumps led to the greatest terrorist attack in history occurring on our very soil. Good job, fellas.

NomChompsky fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 21, 2017

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I think there's two kinds of partisanship that are really causing problems, but they have to be looked at separately. The first is partisanship within the government, which is mostly a result of gerrymandering. Why should we bother working together when we're all getting paid mad bank by special interests already and there's no goddamn way most of us are going to lose our seats? The other kind of partisanship is the kind that is taking place in the public dialogue, and I think that has more to do with the political landscape, and the priorities of the traditional "left and right" shifting drastically, but with no real political force to accommodate it. So it just ends up with people screaming at one another on the internet and elsewhere.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

poisonpill posted:

Oh wait, did Hillary ever actually even say she'd help coal miners and millennials?

She did say that Trump's economics were "trickle down ON STEROIDS!!!" which is fine and good if you're a person who understands what that means, or how that economic system hurts the middle class, or anything really about economics at all. But most people really only respond to "I will help you because you are suffering" at best and at worst "THE JOB CREATORS LOVE YOU AND SOMEDAY YOU MIGHT ASCEND TO BE ONE YOURSELF, TEE HEE"

Unfortunately, Trump said the latter two things at the same time.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

However, Hillary did have hot sauce in her purse, which really appealed to the urban vot--hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Accretionist posted:

Just don't forget how much more they can take away:
  • Public Education
  • Non-Toll Highways
  • FDA
  • EPA
  • National Parks
  • etc.

Yeah but who needs that poo poo anyway. Back in my day...

The Landstander posted:

Yeah I think this is exactly right. Stephen Skowroneks' "Presidents in Political Time" gives a framework for how this works, and Trump is a classic disjunctive president. An outsider to the system, running to uphold the values of a vision of America which doesn't actually make sense anymore, immediately facing internal divisions from his own party, it's all there.

It's also why - and you have to ignore some issues of personal character for this - Obama's presidential equivalent in the New Deal era was probably Richard Nixon. The reason Nixon did stuff like the EPA wasn't out of the goodness of his heart (lol), it was because the New Deal consensus was still strong in Congress and he wanted to secure his own power.

Now, the trick is not winding up in the nativist vs. woke corporatist paradigm mentioned above, but we probably will. =(

I actually was channeling Skowronek there but didn't wanna name drop him because I've found that gets some goons all huffy and I get accused of snobbery. But yeah, Trump might be a disjunctive president. If he's an articulator, I don't know what the gently caress that even says about the Reagan order. That it's indestructible? That it's already been destroyed but is now a phantom? poo poo.

I don't really know what the new political order is going to look like. There's every bit a chance that the new "left" portion of it is more economically in line with Sanders types, and the right wing becoming a nationalist force that champions protectionism and isolationism. The GOP is still trying to be hawkish while their supporters either think "Let's either kill everyone 'over there' or just gently caress off and let them kill each other, why are you gonna RAISE MY TAXES to help some blah blah blah blah" you get the point. Whereas the left is becoming weirdly interventionist in the sense that some of them are starting to think we can actually help people somehow, and ourselves at the same time! The gently caress?

Also good on you for reading Good Books. If you ever wanna talk about Good Books let's do that poo poo.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Pick posted:

Nativist v. corporatist puts you in a bad loving position because both of those suck unbelievable rear end.

I don't think it is going to be as clear cut as that though. You can't form a party platform or adapt an old party ideology around those two things by themselves let alone separately. I think it's much more likely we end up with a right that wants to secede from the world while domestically pursuing quasi nativist policies complete with abandoning free trade for protectionism and a left that is domestically social democratic with an extremely hawkish international interventionism.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Which one of these will be the dominant political order is dependent on which successfully replaces the Reagan order. Which just might end with Trump.

NomChompsky fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 21, 2017

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Fushigi Yuugi fansub posted:

since the definition of the political right seems to be isolationist/nationalist nowadays, and the definition of the left is cosmopolitan/globalist, does it, then, follow that a capital globalist, who opposes any and all restrictions on the movement of capital and people (i.e. workforce), is in fact a leftist?

Maybe. I think it would depend on how the political order ends up aligning itself and who comes out on top not just in that they win elections but in that they can set strong, transformative policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Homestar Runner posted:

but but i was reliably informed by D&D that

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa

• Locked thread