Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
If you care about illegal immigration, do you also care that the USA birth rate is 1.88 instead of like 1.82 or whatever? If not, you are in fact a racist.

Also making fun of Chelsea Clinton's physical appearance makes me think we are in fact trapped eternally in 1993.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Pick posted:

Also signs are suggesting that making life harder for illegal immigrants is already increasing the value of labor in many unskilled labor markets.

LOL come on dude.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Pick posted:

I wish that weren't true either, but California agriculture is already experiencing this, and there was never a solid economic argument why this would not be so.

Post supporting evidence please.

Edit: Also, this is like, the one place in the entire country where this would be happen if it were even slightly true, so it's not overwhelmingly compelling evidence of a broader claim.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 19, 2017

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

You absolutely didn't read this.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Yug posted:

Supply and demand friend.

Ah yes, this reminds me of the terrible years of the early 20th century when the teeming masses of immigrants swarmed over the United States and destroyed the middle class for half a century.

The basic idiotic macroeconomic rejoinder is that immigrants also, you know, buy stuff and grow GDP so there are not only more workers but more jobs. You can buy it or not but more workers = badder wages is obviously not always true.

Pick posted:

Nah, you didn't read it. Get far enough and you'll see what they're talking about in terms of having to offer people more money.

quote:

Smith adds prices and wages don’t change whether a subcontractor has a legal or illegal crew. There’s enough work available that if a laborer is not paid fairly, they can easily find another construction job with better wages. Smith points to turnover rates on local work sites as evidence of this.

quote:

Common arguments against immigrant workers—that they displace American workers and depress wages—don’t hold much weight in the local construction industry. Immigrants can’t displace domestic workers when not enough Americans want the jobs, builders say.

quote:

The problem is no Americans come along. Or if they do, they don’t stay. Labor unions have argued Americans don’t go after farm jobs because wages are too low. But the 2017 wage rate for Louisiana H-2A workers is above minimum wage at $10.38 an hour.

“We’ve had farmers offer to pay $20 to $25 an hour,” Breaux says. “It’s not the pay. It’s the job task.”

Anyway it's neither here nor there because you were talking about hard evidence from already implemented policies and the article you posted is mostly speculative (of course).

Again, it's not like a law of nature that shrinking a workforce will boost wages--since those workers are also consumers.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 19, 2017

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Yug posted:

Wow all I have to do is be a US company then instead of a regular working person whose wages are lower because an immigrant will work it under the table.

Thanks democrats!!

Instead of trying to gently caress over poor illegal immigrants, fight for communism.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

spacetoaster posted:

Oh yeah, Hillary blatently pandered to gays for votes. Donald was writing page long congratulations to Elton John and stuff years ago.

I'm not sure on the racism thing though. Immigration stuff really isn't racism. Discriminatory, sure, but not racism.

Unless we go back to his real estate stuff, but he blamed that on it being his father's policy and he did change it (after a lawsuit though).

How about his insane obsession with blaming innocent black people for rapes?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Hillary lost because she was a weak candidate and the country is intensely partisan; voting patterns didn't change significantly from '12 and '08. Democrats need relatively high turnout to win presidential elections for obvious reasons. Trump being a howling idiot is more of a reflection of the batshit insanity of hardcore Republicans who vote in primaries.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

VikingSkull posted:

she looks like the Joker

the camp 60's one, at that

She looks very little like Cesar Romero.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

theperminator posted:

It's funny because Jesus and Hillary are both fake people

Jesus is reasonably well attested to for a wandering prophet no one would have cared about 2000 years ago. If you mean disingenuous, I don't see how you can possibly conclude one way or the other.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

I'm fine with it because I'll benefit massively from the tax stuff but. I mean, will you?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Zo posted:

well, for example, when a white person calls for white genocide without immediately following it up with suicide bombing a panera bread or at the very least a mouthful of buckshot, it's a good sign they may be virtue signaling

By this logic no one is actually anti abortion.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Gazpacho posted:

if you were to succeed in leaving your children an 18th century standard of living (the only way to meet greenhouse emission targets) they would curse your name

This feels a little like virtue signaling.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Comey's a weak company man, not a GOP partisan. That was pretty clear in November. He did the email thing because his office in NYC was out of control and couldn't be trusted not to leak.

Also, saying Bernie would have won is kind of a vacuous statement--Joe Biden would have won too, does that mean neoliberalism is the new hotness after all?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

sayin that runnin hillary was a damned fool mistake is not vacuous when she refuses to go away

I know Hillary 2020 is a funny meme, but there is a 0% chance she actually runs.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Have you been paying attention to the news lately? They sure seem to be setting up the possibility

Watching the news is an excellent way to misunderstand the world.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
To be fair the argument quickly reduces to, "American penal system is extremely barbaric even for murderers" which, while true, is not a widely held position in the USA as far as I know.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Tallgeese posted:

Romney was not exactly the target of infinite vitriol from the press.

Scorn, yes. Vitriol, no.

The fact he pulled Romney numbers despite tremendous negative coverage is impressive.

The mistake word here is "despite."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Hillary supporters: Post stupid tweets.

Bernie supporters: Murder people.

• Locked thread