Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Alpha Mayo posted:

How the hell did Obama win by such a big margin in 2012? Was it just plain competency at getting out the vote? I feel like he should have faced the same struggles Hillary did, considering the economic reality at the time and disillusionment with him from the far left, but he didn't have any trouble at all.

The first election after a massive economic crash caused by Wall Street, the Republicans ran a robotic Private Equity financier. :mitt:

It was a tremendous self-own, much like running Hillary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

skasion posted:

No, but in the 90s a highly respected political scientist and economist wrote a book about how the collapse of the USSR meant the eternal triumph of liberal-democratic capitalism and the end of history and major geopolitical change. Amazingly he is still a highly respected political scientist and economist.

Your predictions can be utterly, disastrously wrong and you will never get in trouble as an economist. But say something bad about the banks, and suddenly you stop getting calls

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pick posted:

economics is a poo poo tier fake propaganda "science" for most

Pretty much any economist who wants a career needs to do a stint at the Federal Reserve or a similar org associated with them. What a surprise, after a decade or two suddenly there's a near consensus among leading American economists.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Alienwarehouse posted:

But enough about Paul Krugman.

Krugman's descent into sycophantic madness during the election was just plain sad to watch during the election

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Collective ownership via the stock market

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Orkin Mang posted:

the only form of comunism i care about is the one where im left to tear my cuticles off in peace

Please don't, you are increasing your risk of fungal infections

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Because you're a white small penis haver and I'm making fun of you specifically?

Actually average penis sizes are the same across races

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Most gun nuts I've talked to talk about how they need their guns to shoot the globalists Obama squad coming to take their freedoms. That's why it's really satisfying when one of their kids accidentally blows off their own face/someone else's face.

Hm yes I also feel satisfaction when an innocent child is killed. You seem like a pleasant and happy person

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

phasmid posted:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/17/news/companies/expedia-chelsea-clinton-board-of-directors/

Honestly, she's a straight-shooter and just because she's a Clinton, that doesn't make her her parents. Sadly, I can't say how she affected the Daily Beast's coverage (lol) of the election because I was never a reader.

lol 90-100k a year just to show up to board meetings

Noice

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Toadvine posted:

Recall last year, before the New Hampshire primaries, when Hillary sent Chelsea to NH to tell low and middle income voters that Bernie, the man who campaigned heavily on healthcare as a universal right, was gonna help republican governors take away Medicaid. To hell with the Clintons.

A good chunk of the board where I work attend most board meetings via speaker phone

Most boards are insanely bad at actual corporate governance, too.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Amarcarts posted:

So what's the deal with Benghazi? People make a big fuss but has anyone actually articulated what Hillary personally did wrong? As far I can tell she didn't increase security after a request for more security, but that seems like more of an oversight rather than "treason", since the state department probably deals with thousands of different communications/requests on a daily basis.

I just ask because looking back the right-wing media were going rabid about it for years afterward leading up until the election and now you don't hear about it.

Probably the part where they built a secret CIA base there and used it to run arms deals to Libyan rebels.

Oh and also the State Department intentionally ignored their own standards for diplomatic security in order to try and keep a lower profile.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
About 9:40 p.m. local time, large numbers of armed men shouting "Allāhu Akbar" (God is great) approached the compound from multiple directions.[72][77] They then threw grenades over the wall and entered the compound with automatic weapons fire, RPGs, and heavier weapons.[78][76] A Diplomatic Security Service (DSS) agent viewed on the consulate's security cameras "a large number of men, armed men, flowing into the compound".[75] He hit the alarm and started shouting, "Attack! Attack!" over the loudspeaker.[79] Phone calls were made to the embassy in Tripoli, the Diplomatic Security Command Center in Washington, the February 17th Martyrs Brigade and a U.S. quick reaction force located at the annex compound a little more than a mile (1.6 km) away.[80][81] Ambassador Stevens telephoned Deputy Chief of Mission Gregory Hicks in Tripoli to tell him the consulate was under attack. Hicks did not recognize the phone number so he did not answer it, twice. On the third call Hicks answered the call.[82]

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SickZip posted:

It's an insane bit of Washington kabuki theater revolving around the fact that 1) there was a cover up of legitimately damning events and 2) everyone investigating knows what was being covered up but doesn't want to uncover it since they approve of what was being covered up and are just using events for political gain

the "embassy" was a cia base with irresponsibly minimal levels of security because the cia and the military were engaged in a slapfight over the level and nature of the us's support of the rebels. the cia was comfortable with much higher level of radical islamist sentiment and flying of al quaeda flags in the groups we supported then the military was. the cia was keeping the base on the downlow and the military out of their business as a result.

the nature of the base needed to be covered up since it was real unsavory and it was an election year. so then the nature/reason of the attack also had to be covered up to explain it.

the republicans used the obvious cover up to create a perpetual scandal to hit Obama and Clinton with. But since they're gay for dumbass cia nonsense (like everyone whose anyone in washington) they stuck with pointing out all the smoke and avoided addressing the fire

Correct

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Toadvine posted:

I think my favorite thing about Hillary is her decades-spanning quest for power, amassing wealth and influence in all the networks that matter, hobbling every rival, having the media behemoth on her side and a hand-picked slimeball in the opposite corner, and she whiffs. Hard.

It's honestly forced me to reconsider whether money and media are as capable of shaping big events as I'd previously assumed they could.

Same. It's shaken the simplistic idea that media is just a way to turn money into power. It is, but it's still unreliable

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

phasmid posted:

gently caress the idiots who are too pussified to laugh at everything

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Colonel Cancer posted:

IDGI. Like half the countries worth mentioning had women leaders by now, why's US so special. Freaking India had a female PM in the early 80s...

And she was a violent warmonger who massacred her own people

In fact most female PMs have been warmongers or else just complete lunatics

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

white_noise posted:

-misrepresented his net worth while leveraging heavily
-used clever tricks to hide thinning hair
-evaded justice on his rise to power
-claims inviolability while in power
-ostensibly populist while being actually imperialist

totally fits

You forgot "will be murdered by corrupt pedophilic elites"

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

white_noise posted:

But does that speak more to the traits of women or more to what it takes for an outsider to gain authority in the western system?

In what way was Hillary an outsider

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Colonel Cancer posted:

In fact most political leaders have done lovely things, especially in conflict-torn countries.

Conflict-torn hellholes such as the UK

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Colonel Cancer posted:

I remember how Margaret Thatcher was a violent warmonger who massacred her own people and not a generic pro-corporate conservative that springs up whenever businesses get too involved in politics.

Do you really not remember the Falklands or the miners strike

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Colonel Cancer posted:

Having a minor war with a few hundreds of casualties or an unpleasant strike is the same as being a violent warmonger who massacres their own people? I can't believe I'm defending Margaret Thatcher on this but if you think she's somehow the devil incarnate and not just a symptom of a greater problem, just lol. If you want to see any real violent warmongers who massacres their own people, look just about anywhere in Eastern Europe, China or Africa.

The massacre thing was about Indira Gandhi

Also lol at this guy defending Margaret Thatcher "oh it was just a minor war"

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Toadvine posted:

Amusing ploy but wrong. She and Bill are entitled to secret service protection for life. They changed the law in 1994 to only provide protection for ten years post-presidency but Obama changed it back so all presidents get a lifetime detail.

I just learned that Nixon was the only president to relinquish his lifetime protection.

He already knew that none but Satan could claim him

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Rlm has nothing to do with gamergate, Yug just came in and took a gamergate on the floor of the thread and then smeared gamergate on the wallls

Ehat is rlm? Red lives matter?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I prefer red lives matter

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Republicans started saying DemocRAT party just to be extra shady for no particular reason, much like "Obamacare" etc. etc.

I thought it was demon-rat or else democrap

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

CharlestonJew posted:

lol. yet months ago if you talked about how the primaries were rigged D&D superstars would come flooding out of the woodwork to call you a crazy crackpot conspiracy theorist

Hell, the mods would do it, then lay down some lame burns after making sure you can't even reply

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Accretionist posted:

They're so busy trying to play 11-th dimensional chess that they keep getting Fool's Mated.

Playing 11 dimensional chess on a 2d board

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

VikingSkull posted:

is there a term above "lmfao"?

Link

I take absolute personal responsibility but Russia Comey Wikileaks

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

that's the nuttiest thing about us. you'll have conservatives crying about the commie dems when the democrats now are just 60s republicans (maybe even further right honestly).

Yeah, more like 80s Republicans

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

nigga crab pollock posted:

If anyone is a Nader now it's Hillary loving Clinton

the only bigger mistake that could possibly overshadow every single facet of this last election is trying the same thing again and expecting different results. if she runs again this isn't just a level of misguided hubris that lands you in the history books it will be known for like, generations

I hope Sanders runs against her and smokes her in the primaries, forcing the superdelegates to intervene, kicking off riots

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Alienwarehouse posted:

Jesus gently caress, this rivals Fox New in terms of deceit and repulsiveness. Clinton News Network indeed.

Ironically Fox news is now the least lovely of te msm, which is pathetic and hilarious

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

CNN literally pulled Bernie loving Sanders himself off the air because he made a joke about Fake News

Loll

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

if only I had more time for the propaganda to work and held the election before everyone had figured out the breaking news was propaganda, I would have won

If only my opponent had died of a massive coronary the day before the election, i would have won

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

VikingSkull posted:

I wish a sasquatch ate her

Hillary had the sasquatch captured and shot so she could try to appeal to the blue collar hunting set, before realizing that she had killed an endangered species. So they buried it in a shallow grave out ba k

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Hillary Clinton is the Ted Cruz of the Democrats.

What's that make tim kaine

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Blue Train posted:

She should have told this story, every country boy can relate to accidentally hitting something when you're out poaching

It was no accident.

She lured the sasquatch in using their old friendship, then had her goons ziptie him so she could put one in the back of his head, execution style. The plan was for a big triumphal photo op

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I think Hillary was probably the nadir of this election

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

MeatwadIsGod posted:

"Obama boys" lmao

Too bad insular Internet brokebrain poo poo festered in the intervening 8 years and incredibly stupid people bought it. I still can't believe the "if we ended income inequality today, would that end racism and sexism?" line from Clinton. Just goddamn

Seriously, that exchange was the most horrible thing i have ever heard. If you had described it to me i would assume you were lying (and i don't even like Hillary)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

VikingSkull posted:

everyone forgets how Gary Johnson didn't know what Aleppo was and then had a number of run ins where he got legit unhinged at members of the press

the real scary takeaway was that Trump wasn't actually the dumbest and most irrational person on the ticket

Trump is smart, savvy, and extremely calculating. He plays the fool well, but underestimate him at your own risk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
He's also surprisingly witty and vicious. He absolutely shredded the Republican candidates. Just clowned on them. And even in that press dinner, he held his own even when surrounded by enemies

• Locked thread