Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Floral Pants Man is the hero we deserve and still better than Mishima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Keeshhound posted:

If you want an actual answer it's because that action doesn't hurt the banks, it just hurts their customers and staff.

Pratchet said it best "When banks fail it isn't the bankers who starve." Enriching yourself by scamming a bank and then trying to hide under the mantle of rebellion doesn't make you any less of a leech.

people under a bank only suffer when that bank is maligned because the bank has power and wealth enough to shift their losses downward, which is true of any powerful figure and that reality doesn't mean 'welp don't bother'

it doesn't matter though because the PT's argument isn't anywhere near as coherent as yours.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Utgardaloki posted:

people under a bank only suffer when that bank is maligned because the bank has power and wealth enough to shift their losses downward, which is true of any powerful figure and that reality doesn't mean 'welp don't bother'

it doesn't matter though because the PT's argument isn't anywhere near as coherent as yours.

So our sympathy should go towards a group that appeared to be threatening to unleash financial armageddon on a country?

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

Hunt11 posted:

So our sympathy should go towards a group that appeared to be threatening to unleash financial armageddon on a country?

no I'm talking about one of the side quests you do in mementos

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Utgardaloki posted:

In which case you're insisting that the dude who was knowingly engaging in fraud to enrich himself at the expense of everyone else is the true rebel.

Like, this isn't a tricky concept; the game makes it clear that he's just scrambling for an excuse since you've got him cornered.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

Keeshhound posted:

In which case you're insisting that the dude who was knowingly engaging in fraud to enrich himself at the expense of everyone else is the true rebel.

Like, this isn't a tricky concept; the game makes it clear that he's just scrambling for an excuse since you've got him cornered.

er, no, banks are not representative of the interests of the whole and whatever ill effect they direct at everyone else isn't the moral responsibility of people robbing them or whatever, but again my real key point is that no matter how flimsy the dude's justification is, nobody in the game countered with the point you're making or anything like it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Just so we're clear, the side mission that you feel is so hypocritical is the one where it's the dude disguising himself to make fraudulent withdrawals from banks. And you feel like it's inappropriate to condemn that behavior because "gently caress banks." Is that the gist of it?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Utgardaloki posted:

Speaking of mementos, it's kind of neat/creepy how you can meet that one serial killer from that request in the overworld and chat with him a bunch before changing his heart. I didn't notice him on my first playthrough, but I sure did on my second.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

Keeshhound posted:

Just so we're clear, the side mission that you feel is so hypocritical is the one where it's the dude disguising himself to make fraudulent withdrawals from banks. And you feel like it's inappropriate to condemn that behavior because "gently caress banks." Is that the gist of it?

I do think its hypocritical for infamous thieves to tell a con artist who's only victims are institutional that his actions are immoral, yes

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Utgardaloki posted:

I do think its hypocritical for infamous thieves to tell a con artist who's only victims are institutional that his actions are immoral, yes

yeah, all the "women" he forces into prostitution aren't people, and only people can be victims, so really the problem was capitalism

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
oh, you weren't talking about kaneshiro. i'm dumb, but your argument is still dumber

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Utgardaloki posted:

Jesus, this is loving art. :magical:

You really had me going; I thought you were coming at this from some kind of idiot anarcho-tankie position but fuuuuuuck.

I was not prepared.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i liked when hideki kamiya got really buff and beat the poo poo out of me.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

spit on my clit posted:

i liked when hideki kamiya got really buff and beat the poo poo out of me.

:yeah:

More games should have superbuff politicians to fight.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xad posted:

:yeah:

More games should have superbuff politicians to fight.

He played college ball, you know.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

P5 feels like the grab bag of Society's Problems which is interesting but the only topic ppl keep bringing up is waifu wars and how you can date your teacher. At least Mona is cute and the overall title is stylish but I swear the next game "critic" calls P5 a sign how video games are art can just get out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alder posted:

P5 feels like the grab bag of Society's Problems which is interesting but the only topic ppl keep bringing up is waifu wars and how you can date your teacher. At least Mona is cute and the overall title is stylish but I swear the next game "critic" calls P5 a sign how video games are art can just get out.

Why would they?

Nier Automata is right there.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Keeshhound posted:

It's not that Public Opinion has itself become inherently good, it's that the public is finally looking beyond themselves and pulling together with you in order to make a better world (without lovely gods).

The public comments and Okumura plot aren't meant to say that the public is always poo poo, just that when people are lazy and uncritical then they produce little of value, even as a collective. Which then contrasts with how, once their eyes are opened and they overcome their apathy, they give you the power to kill god.

The best most insightful thing they did in the entire game was the angry tweets perfectly nailing public opinion shifts over essentially nothing and it was pretty insightful in the year where it got an unqualified person elected to the strongest office in the world

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alder posted:

p5 is proof that ui design is art

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

That is unironically the thing about it that excites me the most.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Persona 5 is weird because it wants to be a game tackling serious issues and morality and poo poo, but also wants to be an escapist power fantasy where you finally get to gently caress your hot teacher. Add in that it was made by some old Japanese guys that have never talked to a gay person or a woman in their lives and a troubled development and you get this barely coherent mess of a game that I somehow still love dearly.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
did someone talk about panckaes

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Charlie Bobson posted:

Persona 5 is weird because it wants to be a game tackling serious issues and morality and poo poo, but also wants to be an escapist power fantasy where you finally get to gently caress your hot teacher. Add in that it was made by some old Japanese guys that have never talked to a gay person or a woman in their lives and a troubled development and you get this barely coherent mess of a game that I somehow still love dearly.

Yeah. You can tell it especially when they're doing the Ann arc. The story itself is often well done, some problems here and there, but was having some tact... that were almost always completely undermined by the camera shots, her custom design, her battle animations.

It's not a problem exclusive to this game for sure, there's been outcry about male gaze and etc for ages now. But it was pretty extreme with Ann. I mean your get the scene at the cafe where she's telling you kamoshida is trying to coerce her into sex, and even then the camera just wants you to look at her chest.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Charlie Bobson posted:

Holy hyperbole, Batman.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

Holy hyperbole, Batman.

Given the context of Persona 3 and 4, not really. Persona 5 tries to have its cheesecake and eat it too, especially in cutscenes. Ryuji and Yusuke suffer from inconsistent characterization, Ann may as well not exist after the second Palace, and certain segments of the story: Hawaii trip, Palace 5, and December, have weak writing or just god-awful pacing.

I went back to P4, and it has a better translation, more solid characterization, and does a better job of making the cast feel like a team.

Persona 5 has better gameplay and style. I love the inclusion of guns and that none of your party members have overlapping elements. Demon negotiation is cool too and I hope it gets expanded into something more like Persona 2's where your party members assist you, changing the style and tone of negotiation. Kamoshida is a top-notch villain, but the rest of the game except for the death fake-out doesn't really live up to the opening's potential.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

How they handle Shiho is weird...I totally expected her to be a Confidant but then they just drop her from the game pretty much

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

Holy hyperbole, Batman.

youre right. the game is very good and i like it a lot, but there are some werid content and thematic inconsistencies that make the game less coherent as a whole. It's it's definitely not barely incoherent.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Keeshhound posted:

Jesus, this is loving art. :magical:

You really had me going; I thought you were coming at this from some kind of idiot anarcho-tankie position but fuuuuuuck.

I was not prepared.

Anarcho-tankie is an oxymoron and they're not wrong tbh

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sea Sponge Run posted:

How they handle Shiho is weird...I totally expected her to be a Confidant but then they just drop her from the game pretty much

Leave Shiho alone. Ann's SL mentions Shiho but I haven't cleared it because of life.

Atlus had a decent concept but actual execution was lacking esp surrounding Ann, Makoto, and some of the female SL which went nowhere fast. The main problem w/Ann as other have mentioned is the focus how she is supposed to be a femme fatale but in-game her personality is laid-back and how she often feels out of place due to living overseas and her looks. Also, her PT outfit is terrible too along w/all the promo art which is extremely mismatched.

Art/Style: 10/10
Plot: 7/10
Gameplay: 8/10

I still have hope they will fix some of the plot holes like Akechi's disappearance and delete Mishima during the eventual remake after P5:Dancing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Endorph posted:

After I was done with Persona 5 I considered playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions and watching some videos of it my first reaction was, "Wow this interface looks like hot garbage"

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

Leave Shiho alone. Ann's SL mentions Shiho but I haven't cleared it because of life.

Atlus had a decent concept but actual execution was lacking esp surrounding Ann, Makoto, and some of the female SL which went nowhere fast. The main problem w/Ann as other have mentioned is the focus how she is supposed to be a femme fatale but in-game her personality is laid-back and how she often feels out of place due to living overseas and her looks. Also, her PT outfit is terrible too along w/all the promo art which is extremely mismatched.

Not sure what your issue is with Makoto as while not the most exciting SL it is serviceable and in general she does a good job as the second lead. For Ann I feel the mismatch kind of works as the whole point is that she looks like she should be a femme fatale but in reality she is just a caring goofball.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
It is a little weird that everyone gets rad outfits while Ann seems to hate hers. Isn't the metaverse costume supposed to be the character's idea of a "rebel"?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

HellCopter posted:

It is a little weird that everyone gets rad outfits while Ann seems to hate hers. Isn't the metaverse costume supposed to be the character's idea of a "rebel"?

I think the idea they were going for was it's their subconscious idea of how a rebel looks, but consciously she's thinking "Oh Jesus, does it have to be skin tight? Why is there a boob window!? SERIOUSLY!? A TAIL AND CAT EARS!!?"

If memory serves, Makoto expresses similar reservations during a mementos conversation.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

In short, Ann seems like the kind of person who would admire Catwoman but also loathes the thought of wearing her costume. Also yeah, Makoto's not super comfortable with her thief outfit either.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ann's costume and battle poses are fine, the issue is that she's self-conscious about it. if she was just 'yeah im sexy. my sexuality isn't for some gross old dude it's for me,' that'd be fine. but her simultaneously being in a sexy outfit and worried about being in a sexy outfit just feels stupid.

like look at her swimsuit scene, ryuji is perving all over her and she's just 'hahaha heyyy big guy, you having fun over there' and loving with him. that's a good character beat and makes ann feel way more like a consistent, likable character. the issue is it totally clashes with her being so embarrassed about her outfit or whatever.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

After I was done with Persona 5 I considered playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions and watching some videos of it my first reaction was, "Wow this interface looks like hot garbage"

That was how I felt about TMS all around.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Endorph posted:

ann's costume and battle poses are fine, the issue is that she's self-conscious about it. if she was just 'yeah im sexy. my sexuality isn't for some gross old dude it's for me,' that'd be fine. but her simultaneously being in a sexy outfit and worried about being in a sexy outfit just feels stupid.

like look at her swimsuit scene, ryuji is perving all over her and she's just 'hahaha heyyy big guy, you having fun over there' and loving with him. that's a good character beat and makes ann feel way more like a consistent, likable character. the issue is it totally clashes with her being so embarrassed about her outfit or whatever.

It clashes with ryuji's character too since he doesn't perv on her at all outside of the anime cutscenes, which again feel like they were outsourced and finalized long before the game's script was, because nearly half of them feel incongruent with the rest of the game in one way or another

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they probably were, considering how long this game was in development. its a very ff13 situation

'hey joker take your glasses off for no reason'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

poo poo futaba's in this beach cutscene but hasn't been introduced yet, uhhhhh bam second beach trip

• Locked thread