Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I think my favorite thing I'm doing in my NG+ file is being an ungrateful rear end to Igor Yaldabaoth in the Velvet Room. gently caress you, you aren't my real Velvet Room Grandpa!

i apperciate that you can just tell goro to go away every time you talk to him in leblanc even though that's not ng+ specific

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really wonder with the way the Judgment Arcana is handled in this game if at some point during development there were more involved requirements for getting the "true ending", more along the lines of Persona 4 where the story ends prematurely. Technically we still get them as "bad ends" but its hard without trying to get to those fail states.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Eh, it's fundamentally no different from P4. Just answer the questions correctly. The fact that intuiting the correct answers is a bit easier doesn't seem like a fundamental difference to me.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I have a friend who's never played a Persona game who's gonna start up P5 pretty soon and I'm going to be really curious on their take on the Igor stuff when he's an entirely new character to them. I did like the tension of knowing that this person didn't feel like the real Igor but thinking it was just because he was (necessarily) recast, and then finding out it wasn't the real Igor after all.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bring back Caroline

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Clarste posted:

Eh, it's fundamentally no different from P4. Just answer the questions correctly. The fact that intuiting the correct answers is a bit easier doesn't seem like a fundamental difference to me.

Come to think of it, you're right, and the previous games also tend to not really branch off and really tie all that much to it, I'm not sure why I was misremembering some more arcane requirements.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Persona 5 Crimson, where the game is exactly the same but Joker is always wearing the GET SMOKED hat and Mona is wearing a cat sized GET TO BED one.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Persona 5 Crimson, where the game is exactly the same but Joker is always wearing the GET SMOKED hat and Mona is wearing a cat sized GET TO BED one.

For like the first three ranks with him, I thought Shinya was wearing a shirt that said "BOOBS"

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I wouldn't put it past an elementary schooler to wear that kinda shirt either

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i've been dying to just post a gif of goro shooting the cop at point blank for like a week, but now that I can do it I can't find it

Goro Hates The Cops

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

Bring back Caroline

I really don't know how Justine and Caroline re-fused to become such a black hole of personality. RIP perfect murder twins ;__;

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm honestly not sure what that whole fusion thing added to the game or story. I guess maybe having two separate attendants was supposed to be another clue that something was wrong with the Velvet Room?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was gonna make a smarmy joke about how if they were only going to be half as good as Elizabeth there might as well be two of them but upon further thought, I actually like the twins so

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

Bring back Caroline

:yeah:

I bet Lavensa doesn't even use a Chainsaw. :colbert:

Clarste posted:

I'm honestly not sure what that whole fusion thing added to the game or story. I guess maybe having two separate attendants was supposed to be another clue that something was wrong with the Velvet Room?

Well, the part where two children get guillotined is pretty neat.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just an fyi if someone didn't bring this up when you combine the letters of the twins hats, you get OXYMORON. I wouldn't have minded the Lavenza twist so much if she wasn't as boring as every other non-Theo Attendant, but then they removed two characters I liked for that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

The amount of dickishness on display in this game is so egregious and over the top that if it came out in 2015 or early 2016 it would be laughable.

But it came out in 2017, so it just felt like the worst slice of life.

I mean, some of the game's events were inspired by or based on incidents in japan prior to to an American being rude on TV

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She gets real mad at Ryuji for asking relevant and understandable questions so I hope that underneath that incredibly boring first impression she can still be very angry and violent.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm glad everyone got in hard on the pancake memes, justifies my av even more.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm glad Sadayo beat out every other non-party member Confidant.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's an incredibly solid list.

Sojiro should be higher and Mishima lower though.

Edit: I'm happy Lala is on the list.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

I'm glad Sadayo beat out every other non-party member Confidant.

Takemi beat her.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh I somehow missed her name on there.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Is that like, the world's lowest sample size popularity contest or something

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Tae is the best so I'm glad

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The top three definitely check out but it gets more dubious the lower it goes, what the heck is with that Sojiro placement???

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

multijoe posted:

The top three definitely check out but it gets more dubious the lower it goes, what the heck is with that Sojiro placement???

He is right below the party and some pretty girls, which is about what i'd expect for his placement. Even though he is the best and deserves the number 1 spot.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

i love my coffee dad

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also Mishima is somehow above No-Good Tora. This will not stand.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Why do the phantom thieves need to do big dramatic escapes when the palaces fall again? Couldn't they just kinda click a button and go back home at any time?

Was just rewatching the boat blowing up scene and I'm not sure why it was so important to get that boat when they could of probably just went down the side of the building and appeared in just about the same spot.

I mean at one point Yusuke literally falls into the middle of a palace so I figured you'd be able to leave in the middle of one too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I guess that poll must be pretty decent because it correctly pegs best girl

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Why do the phantom thieves need to do big dramatic escapes when the palaces fall again? Couldn't they just kinda click a button and go back home at any time?

Was just rewatching the boat blowing up scene and I'm not sure why it was so important to get that boat when they could of probably just went down the side of the building and appeared in just about the same spot.

I mean at one point Yusuke literally falls into the middle of a palace so I figured you'd be able to leave in the middle of one too.

I'm pretty sure the game is consistent that you can only leave a palace by returning to the point where you (or someone else) entered it. If you could just leave at any time then I wasted a lot of my maid's time making Goho-Ms.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You need to get back to where you entered. Its why they needed to do the set-up with Goro with the phone to make sure they activated it in an area where he was absolutely sure to cross back before he could see Sae's Palace.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So Shido wanted to created a world where only the worthy (wealthy) would survive, and he'd do so by building an Ark and riding out the flooding of Tokyo in style.

He's like a Chaos-oriented version of the Messiah cult in SMT1, and that's pretty swell.

The fact that the SMT alignment system makes an appearance in the deep background of this game's plot is really pleasing. It's nothing that Persona hasn't dabbled in before, but it feels like they made this an SMT game as much as they made this a Persona game, if that makes sense.

I really hope that we don't see another Persona title for awhile, and whatever they do next is a brand new idea like how Persona 3 was.

It's amusing how Akechi has a real life cult of personality now, despite the fact that he's a little prick who has been murdering people since he was, what, 14? Christ alive, he's a bad seed from a rotted tree.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So Shido wanted to created a world where only the worthy (wealthy) would survive, and he'd do so by building an Ark and riding out the flooding of Tokyo in style.

He's like a Chaos-oriented version of the Messiah cult in SMT1, and that's pretty swell.

The fact that the SMT alignment system makes an appearance in the deep background of this game's plot is really pleasing. It's nothing that Persona hasn't dabbled in before, but it feels like they made this an SMT game as much as they made this a Persona game, if that makes sense.

I really hope that we don't see another Persona title for awhile, and whatever they do next is a brand new idea like how Persona 3 was.

It's amusing how Akechi has a real life cult of personality now, despite the fact that he's a little prick who has been murdering people since he was, what, 14? Christ alive, he's a bad seed from a rotted tree.

We literally just had a 9 year gap between 4 and 5. 5 years if you count golden.

Thats... quite a long time. I'm hoping we actually get a relatively quick turnaround on 6 like we had between 3 and 4.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

NRVNQSR posted:

I'm pretty sure the game is consistent that you can only leave a palace by returning to the point where you (or someone else) entered it. If you could just leave at any time then I wasted a lot of my maid's time making Goho-Ms.

Fair enough, but wouldn't that mean Yusuke and Ann would have to return back to reality inside Madarama's house? They kind of entered right in front of his door and all.

Sorry I'm being kinda dense on this subject

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
^^ Doesn't going outside the Palace allow you to freely exit?

Zore posted:

We literally just had a 9 year gap between 4 and 5. 5 years if you count golden.

Thats... quite a long time. I'm hoping we actually get a relatively quick turnaround on 6 like we had between 3 and 4.

If they do it swift-like, that's fine, I guess I'm mostly saying that I want the next title to be very different from the previous ones. Whatever they do, it should be a fresh start.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
So possibilities for Persona 5 remake??

I can see they putting something in the time february and march after the MC gets out of juvie, the games skips like a whole month until the day he has to leave and there and no reason is giving for it.

As for confidants, you need the Aeon one and, if they don't create a new character like Marie, I can see Lavenza doing that role in that time between february and march, kinda like Aigis was during the month of january in P3 FES. No clue about Hunger, if they want that one too.

Also totally gonna have more scenes of Goro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think the S Link/daily schedule/persona fusion core gameplay is so incredibly solid they could make a hundred games with that formula and it wouldn't feel old. Now they absolutely should change up the story feel, but they've already been doing that so I wouldn't mind Persona 6 being about the same distance form 5 as 4 was from 3.

• Locked thread