Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

yeah I'm ok with WotC not writing a multi-part story about an elf realizing that racism is bad and putting it on their website

Instead we get static character #5, who has no personality whatsoever. I'm not saying you dedicate a multi part story to it, I'm saying you give her a character arc so you don't have another static boring as gently caress character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

Is this a reference to me in the last thread? I was just observing that he wasn't in the set (because I forgot the Hour mock-up packaging), not complaining.

oh no, it's a reference to maro's blog, it seems like every page has at least one person upset about it

i imagine reddit is similar but i dont check that out like, ever

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

She is having a character arc right now.

This is what Wizards' character arcs look like.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Controversial take: they could have printed planeswalkers who are not Bolas, but are also not Standard's third copy of each member of the Jacetice League.

Yes we all want more of such memorable characters and Arlinn Kord and Dovin Baan and Saheeli Rai.

But seriously though, Sorin Nahiri and ObNix are ok.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

Instead we get static character #5, who has no personality whatsoever. I'm not saying you dedicate a multi part story to it, I'm saying you give her a character arc so you don't have another static boring as gently caress character.

her character arc looks like its gonna be "is a lesbian with chandra, whose bi now i guess"

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yes we all want more of such memorable characters and Arlinn Kord and Dovin Baan and Saheeli Rai.

Garruk is also ok.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Whatever happened to Ashiok? I feel like they were printed as a magic card and then we never learned anything else about them.

This is another problem with Magic story telling. They print a bunch of legendary creatures/Planeswalkers and then do absolutely nothing with a bunch of them.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Speaking of planeswalkers, I bet a foil full-art that Samut doesn't get a planeswalker card in Hour and instead it's her battle buddy Djeru.

And they'll never get mentioned again after this block.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

Whatever happened to Ashiok? I feel like they were printed as a magic card and then we never learned anything else about them.
He tried to make an artificial god using nightmares.
He also fought with Dack Fayden in the comic book, I think.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Sampatrick posted:

My point is, I think you're asking for more than they're capable of producing with the available staff and resources. Magic story has never been good when tied to a set because a Magic set isn't a good way to tell a linear story. When the story stuff has to act in service of that it, it's going to struggle.

Sampatrick posted:

This is another problem with Magic story telling. They print a bunch of legendary creatures/Planeswalkers and then do absolutely nothing with a bunch of them.

This is only a problem if you think of those as something more than world building flavor. I look back at sets like Antiquities and The Dark that hint at really interesting backstories and those are much more compelling and interesting than the more concrete, story-focused approaches we get now. I don't need a story to mention or touch on every character shown on a card. It's OK to just have cards that show us cool things in the world of the set. Sometimes (most of the times), less is more.

YggdrasilTM posted:

Wait, Ashiok is a dude?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, but they've addressed this already. Something we'll see them fix next block. You can only move so fast when you have to do simultaneous worldwide releases of physical product in a dozen languages.

It's not exactly hard to realize in advance that printing four different Nissas (five counting the intro deck) in a less-than-two-year period is too much. This isn't something that would require a sudden pivot if they weren't blindly cargo culting the MCU as hard as they possibly can.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I'd rather have weird one-offs like Arlinn Kord that are at least trying to do something unique than yet another iteration of Gideon turning into a creature until end of turn.

TheChirurgeon posted:

My point is, I think you're asking for more than they're capable of producing with the available staff and resources.

Magic is not a small product, and Wizards is not a small company. If they lack the necessary resources, it's because they have chosen not to bother with them, not because there's just no possible way for them to hire a writer.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 18, 2017

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

She is currently the fantasy wizard version of a hikikomori, so I suppose her current "character arc" is making friends without freaking out?

TheChirurgeon posted:

Wait, Ashiok is a dude?

Nah, still unknown. My fault, in italian there are no neutral pronouns.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 18, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I like how our Mary Sue, Jace, has had only one new planeswalker card since Magic Origins.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Printing legendary creatures is also for Commander, because commander players are completely insane and very stupid.

This includes me.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

As an interesting bit of trivia, Chris L'Etoile (easily my favouritest Magic story writer) wrote for Mass Effects one and two.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

A lot of people are complaining for the 2 Liliana, 2 gideon, 2 chandra and 3 nissa, but this is just an effect of the changed rotation, right? without that , we would have 2 Liliana, 1 Gideon, 1 Chandra and 2 Nissa. (No, I will NOT count the dumb "not really for play" intro deck planeswalkers).

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

My point is, I think you're asking for more than they're capable of producing with the available staff and resources. Magic story has never been good when tied to a set because a Magic set isn't a good way to tell a linear story. When the story stuff has to act in service of that it, it's going to struggle.

This is only a problem if you think of those as something more than world building flavor. I look back at sets like Antiquities and The Dark that hint at really interesting backstories and those are much more compelling and interesting than the more concrete, story-focused approaches we get now. I don't need a story to mention or touch on every character shown on a card. It's OK to just have cards that show us cool things in the world of the set. Sometimes (most of the times), less is more.

Wait, Ashiok is a dude?

Ashiok isn't male or female.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sampatrick posted:

The purpose of Ashiok was to be a character they could tell us was mysterious and nothing else about them and have us go "Wow, that is mysterious!" so mission accomplished.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

A lot of people are complaining for the 2 Liliana, 2 gideon, 2 chandra and 3 nissa, but this is just an effect of the changed rotation, right? without that , we would have 2 Liliana, 1 Gideon, 1 Chandra and 2 Nissa. (No, I will NOT count the dumb "not really for play" intro deck planeswalkers).
Considering there's also two Lilianas alongside the two Nissas, I think much of this is legit down to WotC overestimating how popular these characters are.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

BJPaskoff posted:

The purpose of Ashiok was to be a character they could tell us was mysterious and nothing else about them and have us go "Wow, that is mysterious!" so mission accomplished.

Ashiok was the original bad guy of Theros block ("Evil jace is stealing dreams!") when the design created the first draw of the story.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 18, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

YggdrasilTM posted:

Yes but people really want to be mad about something Wizards has already acknowledge is a problem and is something they're going to fix

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Magic is not a small product, and Wizards is not a small company. If they lack the necessary resources, it's because they have chosen not to bother with them, not because there's just no possible way for them to hire a writer.

Just because Wizards isn't small doesn't mean they should spend money on a better writer to write better short story articles for a game that most players won't read and has a marginal effect on revenue at best. Yeah, they could do a lot of things but that doesn't mean that hiring a better writer to create a touching story about Elf racism being bad is actually a better option than just not spending that money and doing more generic "magic wizard fight" stories.

Sure, I want to read better stories, but I'm also not going to Wizards of the Coast for high quality fiction so it doesn't bother me when they don't have it. It'd be like getting upset that Marvel doesn't put out compelling coming-of-age dramas about high school girls.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Siivola posted:

Considering there's also two Lilianas alongside the two Nissas, I think much of this is legit down to WotC overestimating how popular these characters are.

Nothing of new. I mean , in Innistrad-Ravinca we had 2 Liliana, 2 Garruk and 2 jaces.
In Theros-Ravnica we had 2 jaces and 2 ajani (briefly 3).

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 18, 2017

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Both Marvel and DC (and especially DC imprints) have a history of occasionally hiring good writers to make actually good fiction. I suppose I can understand wanting their writing team to just write the Avengers but that doesn't mean they're not capable of doing better.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
If EDH made a rule change tomorrow that said "All Planeswalker so can now be used as commanders" what would need to be banned?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm pretty sure WotC and an actual publishing house are not actually comparable entities.

YggdrasilTM posted:

Nothing of new. I mean , in Innistrad-Ravinca we had 2 Liliana, 2 Garruk and 2 jaces.
In Theros-Ravnica we had 2 jaces and 2 ajani (briefly 3).
Fair point.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

YggdrasilTM posted:

A lot of people are complaining for the 2 gideon, 2 chandra and 3 nissa, but this is just an effect of the changed rotation, right? without that , we would have 1 Gideon, 1 Chandra and 2 Nissa. (No, I will NOT count the dumb "not really for play" intro deck planeswalkers).

Origins has only the five gatewatch members as PW cards.
BFZ has Gideon, Thassa, Bobby Nixon, Chandra, and Nissa. 3 GW, 2 not. Well okay they're founding the group so they need a lot of them.
SOI has Jace, Sorin, Nahiri, Arlinn, Liliana and Tamiyo. 2 GW, 4 not. This block had a shitton of planeswalkers and the two gatewatch members are the ones not in battle so it's fine.
KLD has Chandra, Nissa, Dovin, Ajani, and Tezz. 2 GW, 2 not, one joins. This is where things get suspicious as it has been only two sets since OGW, but the group is expanding past the characters in Origins and it needs to represent the villains so I gu-
just Amcocknet has Gideon, Liliana, and Nissa. Hold on, these are just gatewatch members! Nissa was in Kaladesh! Liliana was in the set before that! AFAIK there isn't a story thing where the place has no walkers. What gives?

It doesn't help that the gatewatch is kinda shoehorned into specific mechanical niches most of the time, for sake of character. Gideon has to turn into a human soldier creature until end of turn. Liliana makes things die and/or zombies. Chandra is dealing damage to something. While they experiment a little it means the mono-color 'walkers are usually exploring the same aspects of that color. Think about Ashiok vs. Tezzeret, how Ashiok deals with the exile zone and Tezz is the artifact guy, despite both being UB planeswalkers. Or how Venser does teleporting to flicker and make things unblockable, but Dovin Baan has WU's defensive grind going for it. But the last 4 mono-white planeswalkers have all had the ability to become a human soldier creature because they're all Gideon.

It's not just Standard numbers, it's that Liliana doesn't do the same things as Bobby Nixon.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

PJOmega posted:

If EDH made a rule change tomorrow that said "All Planeswalker so can now be used as commanders" what would need to be banned?

Tezzeret, the Seeker and Ugin probably. Maybe Nahiri?

shades of blue fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 18, 2017

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

YggdrasilTM posted:

Didn't Ashiok briefly succeed and making a nightmare god before another god squashed it?

Story beats that were completely ignored by wizards previously: Mentioning the B/W angel sister on Innistrad and then never referencing that again.

Story beat they will probably also ignore: The 3 missing gods on Amonkhet

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sampatrick posted:

Teferi and Ugin probably. Maybe Nahiri?

Teferi can explicitly already be used as your commander

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Origins has only the five gatewatch members as PW cards.
BFZ has Gideon, Thassa, Bobby Nixon, Chandra, and Nissa. 3 GW, 2 not. Well okay they're founding the group so they need a lot of them.
SOI has Jace, Sorin, Nahiri, Arlinn, Liliana and Tamiyo. 2 GW, 4 not. This block had a shitton of planeswalkers and the two gatewatch members are the ones not in battle so it's fine.
KLD has Chandra, Nissa, Dovin, Ajani, and Tezz. 2 GW, 2 not, one joins. This is where things get suspicious as it has been only two sets since OGW, but the group is expanding past the characters in Origins and it needs to represent the villains so I gu-
just Amcocknet has Gideon, Liliana, and Nissa. Hold on, these are just gatewatch members! Nissa was in Kaladesh! Liliana was in the set before that! AFAIK there isn't a story thing where the place has no walkers. What gives?
I think is due to the nature of the Amonkhet story. I would not be suprised if ALL the GW planeswalker are printed in Amonkhet.
Also, I don't think there are planeswalkers AT ALL in Amonkhet, (with the exception of Bolas). At least in their initial ideas.

quote:

But the last 4 mono-white planeswalkers have all had the ability to become a human soldier creature because they're all Gideon.

Kytheon
Gideon AoZ
Gideon of the Trials.
Before of these there was Ajani Steadfast.

Mezzanon posted:

Didn't Ashiok briefly succeed and making a nightmare god before another god squashed it?

Story beats that were completely ignored by wizards previously: Mentioning the B/W angel sister on Innistrad and then never referencing that again.

Story beat they will probably also ignore: The 3 missing gods on Amonkhet
Maybe they will ignore them, maybe not. I think these are just ideas that they will use if they need to come back to these planes and create a new story.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 18, 2017

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

Teferi can explicitly already be used as your commander

I'm an idiot and meant mono-Blue Tezzeret

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm pretty sure Maro's said there are only five planeswalkers in the block, and one of them has to be Bolas.

Edit: Anyway, when I implied Wizards isn't a real publishing house, I entirely forgot they publish an entire line of D&D fiction that I can only imagine is still successful. Ha ha, how embarrassing!

Siivola fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 18, 2017

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

YggdrasilTM posted:

Maybe they will ignore them, maybe not. I think these are just ideas that they will use if they need to come back to these planes and create a new story.

Also, people have this strange idea that "if something is mentioned in a story, it HAS to be relevant to the story". Maybe it's just background information?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Sampatrick posted:

Tezzeret, the Seeker and Ugin probably. Maybe Nahiri?

I can't see why Ugin-as-commander would need an EDH ban, he's not uncounterable, doesn't have an on-cast effect, costs 7 and won't even blow up everybody's lands if he resolves and minuses without some other combo piece. You'd probably make it into a really broken deck but that's because any colorless EDH deck has to be full of broken combos so as to not be total garbage

Nahiri can't grab emrakul since she's already banned so would probably also be fine

Tezz would have to go though

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

UberJew posted:

I can't see why Ugin-as-commander would need an EDH ban, he's not uncounterable, doesn't have an on-cast effect, costs 7 and won't even blow up everybody's lands if he resolves and minuses without some other combo piece. You'd probably make it into a really broken deck but that's because any colorless EDH deck has to be full of broken combos so as to not be total garbage

No, it's just absurdly good as a ramp/control tool. You cast it on t4/5 and repeatedly wrath the board. If they deal with it, you just do it again. Repeat this process ad nauseum. Playing against Ugin would be positively miserable for every party involved.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I still think the way to go in terms of putting jacetice pws in sets without crowding out slots is via intro deck pws

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Sampatrick posted:

No, it's just absurdly good as a ramp/control tool. You cast it on t4/5 and repeatedly wrath the board. If they deal with it, you just do it again. Repeat this process ad nauseum. Playing against Ugin would be positively miserable for every party involved.

I feel like trying to do that on mono-colorless is just going to get you killed against anything with any interaction

but then i've played plenty of edh games where everybody involved felt like having interaction in their deck or winning from an empty board was bad so

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

UberJew posted:

I feel like trying to do that on mono-colorless is just going to get you killed against anything with any interaction

but then i've played plenty of edh games where everybody involved felt like having interaction in their deck or winning from an empty board was bad so

See, I think it's probably fine if we're talking about a reasonable format like Duel Commander but in the crazy format that is normal EDH I would want to avoid having a card like Ugin.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Just posting to post in the new post!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I might actually build an EDH deck when it gets taken over by WOTC, becomes 1v1, and becomes a sanctioned format