Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Mezzanon posted:

Ad naus went from slam dunking against control to the control match being almost unwinnable.

I believe the new ad naus tech is silence right?

Yeah. Silence is back and most play 3x in the main in place of Pact of Negation. I like it a lot more than Pact. Silence against storm when they have got their storm count up to like 15-18 somehow feels better than Angels Gracing in response to Grape Shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
This thread (and Magic players in general) can be kinda bad at distinguishing between strategic breakage and structural breakage when it comes to both game design and whether or not a card should be banned. Banning a card because it results in a play pattern that's too far from what the designers intended is perfectly reasonable.

Banning non-interactive decks out of the format is a thing I'm totally fine with.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The problem with FL isn’t that fair decks use it.

The problem with FL is that unfair decks use it, and you run into the same problem Pod did where you either keep playing Whack-a-Mole with whatever news cards crop up that Faithless breaks over it’s knee, or you take out the card that keeps supercharging all these degenerate decks and try to buy back some design space so you don’t have to put every new non-garbage graveyard card that can be red-adjacent under a microscope.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

My understanding is that they banned Faithless Looting because it enabled Hogaak. But since they banned Hogaak, why ban Faithless Looting?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Human Crouton posted:

My understanding is that they banned Faithless Looting because it enabled Hogaak. But since they banned Hogaak, why ban Faithless Looting?

They explain their reasoning in the announcement

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Locke posted:

The problem with FL isn’t that fair decks use it.

The problem with FL is that unfair decks use it, and you run into the same problem Pod did where you either keep playing Whack-a-Mole with whatever news cards crop up that Faithless breaks over it’s knee, or you take out the card that keeps supercharging all these degenerate decks and try to buy back some design space so you don’t have to put every new non-garbage graveyard card that can be red-adjacent under a microscope.

Also everyone is complaining that losing it breaks their unfair decks, as though that is a bad thing

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Are we still pretending there are fair decks in modern?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
UW control has been a t1 deck for a hot minute my dude

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Jund is also more playable than it has been in several years.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Brownhat posted:

There are now!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the reason they banned faithless looting is that in a deck with sufficient graveyard synergy it is just a sorcery speed ancestral recall, and that bifurcated the format into decks that can play ancestral recall and decks that can’t. graveyard strategies that might be borderline or just “reasonable” become tier 1 or broken when, in addition to their normal game plan, they get to play recall and nobody else can.

it centralized the metagame around graveyard decks because it gave them a tool more powerful than any equivalent available to non graveyard decks, and that’s why it was banned. It wasn’t “broken with hogaak,” it was broken with hogaak, Phoenix, hollow one, etc. etc. etc.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Brownhat posted:

Unless we've changed the definition, Jund and burn are both fair modern decks. They play out mana on curve and don't cheat costs.

"Fair" anymore is just another term like "interactive" that is used to signify when someone thinks you should be able to play a deck. I've had people complain that I was playing uninteractive magic with burn. You know, they deck that doesn't really combo and puts cheap squishy creatures on board for you deal with. I don't know how to make a deck more interactive than cast a bunch of spells and still require some creature damage to win the game.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

rkajdi posted:

Unless we've changed the definition, Jund and burn are both fair modern decks. They play out mana on curve and don't cheat costs.

"Fair" anymore is just another term like "interactive" that is used to signify when someone thinks you should be able to play a deck. I've had people complain that I was playing uninteractive magic with burn. You know, they deck that doesn't really combo and puts cheap squishy creatures on board for you deal with. I don't know how to make a deck more interactive than cast a bunch of spells and still require some creature damage to win the game.

I've heard people call control decks "non-interactive" before

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
It’s like folks didn’t realize graveyard decks were warping the meta so much that hate was main decked

But ya I mean obvi I can feel for somebody whose deck was hurt by the announcement, Magic is kinda super lovely that way. It’s like losing the save to a game you’re half way through and being like nope not again gently caress this

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

uggy posted:

It’s like folks didn’t realize graveyard decks were warping the meta so much that hate was main decked

But ya I mean obvi I can feel for somebody whose deck was hurt by the announcement, Magic is kinda super lovely that way. It’s like losing the save to a game you’re half way through and being like nope not again gently caress this

But that is kind of the risk you take in eternal formats. At any point some card you bought a grip of can become banned and you're often SoL on it.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Ya I know and I’m here for it but can also understand the distress it causes

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

uggy posted:

This is part of why I built burn as my backup modern deck, it's almost never going to be the best deck, and it'll probably always be at least playable, but it is incredibly unlikely to get anything banned from it.

And because it's incredibly fun to play, I guess.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 28, 2019

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
They banned faithless looting because it has flashback

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I’m stoked to have sideboard slots back.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I'm stoked for people to cut all of their rest in peace and then lose to hardened scales and whirza

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Just be like me and play bad decks all the time and never have to worry about them being banned out of existence.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

I'm stoked for people to cut all of their rest in peace and then lose to hardened scales and whirza

As if Stonys aren't getting back the slots they deserve and those decks won't get the poo poo Tronned out of them

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

C-Euro posted:

Just be like me and play bad decks all the time and never have to worry about them being banned out of existence.

Hell yeah

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
"This card should have/shouldn't have been banned" deserves a spot on the bingo card if it isn't there already.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

C-Euro posted:

If Burn counts as a bad deck, then :same:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

C-Euro posted:

i tried that by playing bridgevine for years and then they had to go & print hogaak and start banning poo poo left & right

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

LifeLynx posted:

"This card should have/shouldn't have been banned" deserves a spot on the bingo card if it isn't there already.

isn't that the Free Space?

if it isn't, then what is?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Lone Goat posted:

"Strictly better"

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I like how they made recall clearly better than cruise in vintage by restricting misstep

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sampatrick posted:

I like how they made recall clearly better than cruise in vintage by restricting misstep

Misdirection is still around!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
should I buy stitcher's supplier now or wait till it rotates out of standard? Is it expected to still see play despite hogaak? (Enough play that it will rise heavily in demand, I mean)

The Klowner fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 28, 2019

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

The Clowner posted:

should I buy stitcher's supplier now or wait till it rotates out of standard? Is it expected to still see play despite hogaak? (Enough play that it will rise heavily in demand, I mean)

If there's a Graveyard archtype to still find play in Modern besides Phoenix decks, Stitcher's has a solid chance to be part of it. Moreso now with Faithless Looting gone since many of these decks will still need to come up with ways of digging through their library to fill their yard. Being attached to a body might even be relevant depending on what form Modern Graveyard takes in the future.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

burn is generally a good deck but also what does "banning out burn" even mean, you just play slightly worse bolts

I guess banning out your creatures would be kind of annoying but I also don't think will ever happen

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Elyv posted:

burn is generally a good deck but also what does "banning out burn" even mean, you just play slightly worse bolts

I guess banning out your creatures would be kind of annoying but I also don't think will ever happen

Rampaging Ferocidon, Ramunap Ruins, etc.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

The Clowner posted:

It's... a two dollar uncommon from a modern print-run set. It will never have removal-level demand, so just buy it whenever you want to play it.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

LifeLynx posted:

might as well add "talking about spoilers" and "talking about going to a prerelease" and other ~mtg~ things if talking about magic is just too much for this thread

like the biggest modern ban shake up in a while is something we can and should discuss even if it's circular or sorta stupid

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
I for one am embracing my negative win % against tron and swapping faithless looting and young pyro one for one with SFM and dreadhorde arcanist in my mardu pyro deck this FNM to see what happens. And I guess good bye to my two fun-ofs

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

"mcmagic makes a bad card evaluation"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

smertrioslol posted:

I for one am embracing my negative win % against tron and swapping faithless looting and young pyro one for one with SFM and dreadhorde arcanist in my mardu pyro deck this FNM to see what happens. And I guess good bye to my two fun-ofs

You might want to swap in at least one equipment while you're at it or stoneforge is gonna look a bit less then stellar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The gigantic equipment package is really the deckbuilding cost, but for people who can afford midrange/control it's likely less a problem.