Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I will build an EDH deck when they unban Recurring Nightmare. I'm still mad that somehow that card is banned. Like, c'mon, you can cast Reanimate in a format with 40 life but you can't cast Recurring Nightmare? It makes me so mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Siivola posted:

As an interesting bit of trivia, Chris L'Etoile (easily my favouritest Magic story writer) wrote for Mass Effects one and two.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

correct opinions about basic lands and Mishra's factory art (all Winter is correct, for the record)

That's a funny way to spell 1 judge promo, 1 Korean 4th FBB, 1 Japanese 4th FBB, and 1 EMA.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Re: Ashiok, Tamiyo was also a 'oh by the way, this person is also here' planeswalker and then they finally wrote her into the story 5 years later, so there's still hope.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

Didn't Ashiok briefly succeed and making a nightmare god before another god squashed it?

Story beats that were completely ignored by wizards previously: Mentioning the B/W angel sister on Innistrad and then never referencing that again.

Story beat they will probably also ignore: The 3 missing gods on Amonkhet

I assumed the three missing gods would be three-color to complete a cycle in Hour of Devastation with Bolas (Grixis) and Planeswalker Samut (Naya).

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
There was some talk of shorter DCI numbers in the previous thread (rip) and I always feel smug when I get paired up against a person with a newer one. All that smugness disappeared when I played an older guy with a three digit one in the 200s.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Pontius Pilate posted:

There was some talk of shorter DCI numbers in the previous thread (rip) and I always feel smug when I get paired up against a person with a newer one. All that smugness disappeared when I played an older guy with a three digit one in the 200s.

Mine is 6 digits. I show up to a place I haven't played at before they tell me I am missing digits.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Pontius Pilate posted:

hahaha that owns. Guy's dick must be huge

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
How the gently caress you gonna get a 3 digit dci, I have an 8 digit & I signed up in like 2002

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Tonetta posted:

How the gently caress you gonna get a 3 digit dci, I have an 8 digit & I signed up in like 2002

Well, I've got 7 and started playing tournaments with Onslaught. I think.

Maybe I played in some organized stuff before then.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Tonetta posted:

My bet is that you'd literally have to have attended one of the first 3 DCI events

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sampatrick posted:

No, it's just absurdly good as a ramp/control tool. You cast it on t4/5 and repeatedly wrath the board. If they deal with it, you just do it again. Repeat this process ad nauseum. Playing against Ugin would be positively miserable for every party involved.

I would immediately swap out Kozilek for Ugin as my Eldrazi commander if I could. And this is exactly the reason why.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i lost my 8 digit one from odyssey/onslaught era and now i have a 10 digit pleb one :(

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

i lost my 8 digit one from odyssey/onslaught era and now i have a 10 digit pleb one :(

They were really good on unifying all my stuff. Doesn't hurt to try and email em.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Tales of Woe posted:

It takes more work than it's worth for an 8-digit number imho, but you can work with customer service to dig up old DCI numbers and consolidate them into a single account. I had to do this to get my 6-digit number back in the day, since I no longer had my DCI cards from 1997. Mostly involved me giving them address/reg data and it took a while, but it's cool to see the old Neutral Ground events I was in show up on my Planeswalker Points record

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sampatrick posted:

I will build an EDH deck when they unban Recurring Nightmare. I'm still mad that somehow that card is banned. Like, c'mon, you can cast Reanimate in a format with 40 life but you can't cast Recurring Nightmare? It makes me so mad.

There are losts of dumb things (mainly in blue) that are not banned just because Sheldon and co. like them.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I was extremely hung over when I did some sort of visions pre/release thing but I don't ever remember getting a DCI number when I was there. I wonder what range it would have been.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

mine is 6 digits but its a carryover from when i played the pokemon tcg in late 99 early 00.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

for anyone who was playing during that time, prop 3-15 was the loving worst thing ever

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

its me glenda posted:

for anyone who was playing during that time, prop 3-15 was the loving worst thing ever

it really was. Didn't it only get used for like one major tournament though?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

its me glenda posted:

Dare I ask what that is and why it was so bad?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

its me glenda posted:

mine is 6 digits but its a carryover from when i played the pokemon tcg in late 99 early 00.

That's how I got my 7 digit one but no one needs to know that. Besides I started playing magic during odyssey/onslaught so close enough.

The guy had been playing since the beginning and I'm not sure when the DCI came into existence but presumably he played at a very early event. When poking around on the subject I found this: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/lowest-dci-number-2009-03-05-0 which says the lowest one used in the last year was 1000, but that was 2009. However I'm almost certain it was 3 digits and I found a Reddit post saying that they played against a guy with a 3 digit one at GP Chicago a couple years ago. And I played him at a Chicago store for Kaladesh prerelease so maybe he was taking a break ~09.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 19, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I started playing in 1994, but I didn't get a DCI number until I returned to the game in Coldsnap. No one really cared about the DCI back when I first started, we just met in comic shops and the mall food court and played in tournaments the store ran.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BJPaskoff posted:

I started playing in 1994, but I didn't get a DCI number until I returned to the game in Coldsnap. No one really cared about the DCI back when I first started, we just met in comic shops and the mall food court and played in tournaments the store ran.

Same except Dragon's Maze. I didn't even know I could get my DCI number back then!

Doesn't Bob Maher have a DCI number less than 100? Like 8 or 10 or something? I remember reading that somewhere.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

PJOmega posted:

Well, I've got 7 and started playing tournaments with Onslaught. I think.

Maybe I played in some organized stuff before then.

I signed up before onslaught I believe, odyssey or whatever block. Chainer was good & cool. Khamall was.extremely my poo poo

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My DCI number has 777 in it, so you know that it's totes unlucky.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

Didn't Ashiok briefly succeed and making a nightmare god before another god squashed it?

Story beats that were completely ignored by wizards previously: Mentioning the B/W angel sister on Innistrad and then never referencing that again.

Story beat they will probably also ignore: The 3 missing gods on Amonkhet

the idea of a sequel hook never made sense to ya huh

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tonetta posted:

:same: First sanctioned event for me was the Legions pre-release but I had been collecting cards since Exodus.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

C-Euro posted:

:same: First sanctioned event for me was the Legions pre-release but I had been collecting cards since Exodus.

Mine's actually an 8 digit one from the Legions pre-release as well! I started a bit later with deckbuilding though, around Odyssey block. I remember my first rare that I pulled was a Petradon and thought it was the coolest card ever. :kiddo:

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I remember signing up for Arena ID, back when they were testing out organized play. That was fun. I wish I would have kept all of those rewards (Incinerate, Disenchant & Counterspell along with the lands).

My number is 7 digits, but they also added a number (and then took it away). I don't remember when I got mine, or when it merged with the one I have now, but my tournament history goes back to 96 or 97. I need to see if it's still possible to look up that stuff.

Found em on the Planeswalker Points site.

My first tournaments ...

En Fuego fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 19, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sickening posted:

I might actually build an EDH deck when it gets taken over by WOTC, becomes 1v1, and becomes a sanctioned format

Sounds like you wanna play Duel Commander! http://www.duelcommander.com/

It's waaaaay better than multiplayer EDH.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
What's really cool about Duel Commander is that they go in depth about every ban choice and you can really understand all of their decisions.

They also don't have Recurring Nightmare banned because why the gently caress should that card be banned AHHHHH.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

InterrupterJones posted:

Mine's actually an 8 digit one from the Legions pre-release as well! I started a bit later with deckbuilding though, around Odyssey block. I remember my first rare that I pulled was a Petradon and thought it was the coolest card ever. :kiddo:

I got into deckbuilding around that time as well, the first rare I can remember pulling and being really excited about was Terravore which is still an awesome card and I wish it was playable anywhere :(

E: Oh wait people were running it in Maverick and Aggro Loam five years ago I guess?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 19, 2017

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
please don't sully this thread with edh talk already

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
EDH is good, let's talk it out, y'all.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

80s James Hetfield posted:

please don't sully this thread with edh talk already
EDH is life. I run Augustin as my commander because I enjoy having my face kicked in both in and out of the game.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Soul Glo posted:

EDH is good, let's talk it out, y'all.

Actually somebody tell me what cards to buy on MTGO before they launch the 1v1 commander leagues, thanks.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Actually somebody tell me what cards to buy on MTGO before they launch the 1v1 commander leagues, thanks.

Probably that 5 color hermit Druid combo deck? Isn't that considered the best commander deck currently? I don't know where to find a decklist, just that it use Scion of the Ur-Dragon as the commander and secondary win condition.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mandatory lesbian posted:

the idea of a sequel hook never made sense to ya huh

Not when the dangling sequel hooks are better than the story we did get, and I'm still calling odds that they just casually never revisit these points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Scion of the Ur-Dragon is awesome.

Requisite EDH story:
Player 1 -> Friend that I let borrow my Scion (Dragons) Deck.
Player 2 -> Other friend playing Mono-Blue.
Player 3 -> Me playing UB deck.

Player 1 -> Dragon Broodmother. (Makes 1/1 with devour 2 every turn). Pass the turn.
Player 2 -> Plays whatever. Leaves UU up. Pass the turn.
Player 3 -> Ok that Dragon is cool, and I want blockers. Rite of Replication kicked on that Broodmother (make 5x copies)
Player 2 -> Taps UU.
Player 3 -> "Ruin my fun?"
Player 2 -> "Nah, its a party". Casts Twincast. 10 dragons hit the field.
Player 3 -> Pass the turn.
Player 1 -> "Only one dragon player allowed." Casts Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund. When Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund enters the battlefield, gain control of all Dragons, then untap all Dragons.
Other Dragon creatures you control have haste.