Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Speaking as kind of a new player, the set also comes off as very approachable. I know I'm going to punt a million times with bad exerts, but things don't make me scratch my head and wonder how I'm supposed to use something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tales of Woe posted:

There's only a few commons I wouldn't ever want to put in my deck and the common creatures are strong across the board in interesting ways.

They have delivered on their promise of cutting the chaff since the block structure change. It's a far cry from FRF's miserable second half of the pack.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Siivola posted:

Speaking as kind of a new player, the set also comes off as very approachable. I know I'm going to punt a million times with bad exerts, but things don't make me scratch my head and wonder how I'm supposed to use something.

The self inflicted -1/-1 counters might lead to some tricky, unintuitive situations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Siivola posted:

I'm surprised to hear this, actually, I think this set has a LOOOOOOT of juggling of mechanics/cards/options.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Siivola posted:

It seems to have a lot of what Innistrad had going for it, including mechanics that reduce the likelihood of dead turns, three of them in fact, and strong flavor.

Rinkles posted:

The self inflicted -1/-1 counters might lead to some tricky, unintuitive situations.

Possibly, but I don't think it's too bad, I think most players will see early on that CMC X = X/X stats is a decent baseline and that the counters are offsetting oversize creatures. It also follows they ask, "why do that?", and see that other cards can capitalize on it. Even the same card can, in the case of that mana dork.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 19, 2017

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ShaneB posted:

I'm surprised to hear this, actually, I think this set has a LOOOOOOT of juggling of mechanics/cards/options.

Yeah I think this set looks above-average difficulty for current magic, especially coming off of Kaladesh which was one of the more simple blocks they've made. It doesn't have the keyword soup of BFZ or the 5-tribe/guild sets though so that probably helps approachability, but I'm reminded of original Innistrad which was a very challenging set despite only having a couple keyword mechanics.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
It helps that the terrible commons/"sideboard cards" they always put in all have cycling now

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Barry Shitpeas posted:

It helps that the terrible commons/"sideboard cards" they always put in all have cycling now

Which is gonna end up being a trap for a lot of players thinking they can just cycle away like 6 conditional cards in their deck and just spin their wheels.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ShaneB posted:

True. Why cycling is good and powerful isn't hard to explain in a vacuum, but actually knowing when to is something pros disagree over.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
So I just moved down to Northern VA, whats the best place to go for pre-release around here?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I know a lot of people have bounced off MM17 draft, either voluntarily or not, but I'm curious what BR is supposed to do as a color group. The theme seems to be sacrifice, but the payoffs just don't seem good. The only token enabler I remember is Dragon Fodder, the payoff is Mortician Beetle, and the sac outlets don't seem to affect the board like even a simple Penumbra Spider. I've only drafted it 3 times, but I have never seen anyone force it successfully, even when it seems open.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Shadow225 posted:

I know a lot of people have bounced off MM17 draft, either voluntarily or not, but I'm curious what BR is supposed to do as a color group. The theme seems to be sacrifice, but the payoffs just don't seem good. The only token enabler I remember is Dragon Fodder, the payoff is Mortician Beetle, and the sac outlets don't seem to affect the board like even a simple Penumbra Spider. I've only drafted it 3 times, but I have never seen anyone force it successfully, even when it seems open.

MM3 draft is baaaaad bad bad because like 2 archetypes are playable in power level and the rest are garbage compared.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Firebatgyro posted:

So I just moved down to Northern VA, whats the best place to go for pre-release around here?

My brother likes Curio Cavern in Springfield. I play out of Third Eye in Annapolis but that's a hike

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes
I can't remember if it was one of the previous Magic threads, or even this site for that matter, but I saw an article about some guy that was crazy about bears. I would hazard a guess and say it was a Grizzly Bear. But every card he got we would put it in those hard plastic cases to keep it from harm.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ShaneB posted:

Really? I might be a special case since I grew up reading D&D supplements, and like thinking about game design in general.

There's a lot of things you can do and decisions you can really gently caress up ("hey I'll put these -1s on Oketra she's indestructible :downs:") so I agree there's a bunch of juggling, but I also feel like the mechanics are built from very basic and familiar pieces. Exert's effect is that thing blue does, but this time you can do it voluntarily. Embalm makes a zombie token once. Aftermaths are special sorceries you can cast only from your graveyard. Cycling is just discard to draw. -1/-1 counters are mechanically a wee bit more involved, but the concept (lingering debuff) is very straightforward. And they don't need a lot of setup to play which is great, you just put 'em in your deck and play like normal. You don't have to worry about having discard outlets for Madness or enough creature power to crew a vehicle.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 19, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Shadow225 posted:

I think BR is supposed to be aggro with unearth and stuff. Maybe use the Aristocrat to end the game when they get low.

I drafted a pretty good BW sacrifice deck. Lost to GR because he didn't attack with his goblins for like 4 turns with that enchantment that makes goblin in play, beat some 3 color deck with turn 1 Goblin Guide in game 2, lost to 7 color pile of cards because I played my 2nd land in hand because he had Monentary Blink to kill a token and to kill my Falkenrath Aristocrat.

ShaneB posted:

MM3 draft is baaaaad bad bad because like 2 archetypes are playable in power level and the rest are garbage compared.

Yeah this has pretty much been my impression. I really haven't liked formats where you can just play 4 or 5 colors and a pile of good cards because of how good the fixing is. MM2 and KTK also come to mind.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Tales of Woe posted:

There's only a few commons I wouldn't ever want to put in my deck and the common creatures are strong across the board in interesting ways.

"We need bad cards to distinguish the good cards" is a dumb design philosophy and I'm glad that this set appears to not be packing boosters with 6-7 unplayable commons. Sealed looks pretty fun and I'm looking forward to prerelease.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

With the PW decks, they can print the bad cards right into unsuspecting newbies' hands. :v:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Dehtraen posted:

- not knowing what the creatures on the battlefield do. Read all the keywords and know what they mean / do on your opponents cards and yours. This sounds completely dumb but every prerelease people end not blocking something because they assume it has flying due to the art or miss things like first strike and get blown out in blocks

Breaching Hippocamp limited all star

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Shadow225 posted:

I got my rear end beat by a BRu Sac deck in our MM17 release draft. Unearth guys, Vampire Aristocrat, the red creature that lets you sac creatures to Shock stuff, etc. From what I could tell the blue splash was for Soul Ransom, which is disgusting in that deck if you catch your opponent not paying attention.

I disagree somewhat with ShaneB on this, I had a lot of fun drafting MM17 but I suck at draft and don't want to pay $30 when I'm 90% sure to go 1-2. I will agree however that UWx, even just straight UW, is where you want to be. Saw a guy on Esper come back to win from a 44-1 deficit off of two Grixis Slavedriver each with Gift of Orzhova.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

Every masters set has a handful of extremely awful archetypes. In MM3 the point of BR is splashing for removal cards and dinrova horrors.

Has there ever been a sacrifice archetype that actually worked? I remember it being awful in origins and BFZ as well.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

My experience with MM17 was that BR sacrifice was one of the 3 playable archetypes, though slightly lower in power level than goodstuff control and UWx blink. The green decks were the truly unplayable ones.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Most of the complexity in Amonkhet seems to come from knowing how best to use the cards, which is different from the mechanics themselves being difficult to understand.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

little munchkin posted:

Has there ever been a sacrifice archetype that actually worked? I remember it being awful in origins and BFZ as well.

It worked in Origins sometimes. Not the most reliable deck ever, but occasionally you'd pick up a critical mass of enthralling victors, acts of treason, and nantuko husks, etc to beat the hell out of your opponent with their guys and then put them back in their yard. I remember someone at the PT got there, and I did it once or twice at FNM.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Magic Story summary:

Jace and Liliana were loving and Gideon complained about it (because he was too dense to figure out why Jace was at Lili's house early in the morning) so they had to stop. Gideon might as well put on a goddamn fedora at this point; dude is not only friend-zoned as gently caress, but he's a cockblocker.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am really happy that this abortion of a story drives how cards are designed.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

little munchkin posted:

WB human sacrifice in DKA-ISD-ISD was good

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

Yeah I think this set looks above-average difficulty for current magic, especially coming off of Kaladesh which was one of the more simple blocks they've made. It doesn't have the keyword soup of BFZ or the 5-tribe/guild sets though so that probably helps approachability, but I'm reminded of original Innistrad which was a very challenging set despite only having a couple keyword mechanics.
I missed this earlier. I actually find Kaladesh kinda low-key complicated because of Vehicles, Energy and lots of ETB effects. It's not super-complex by any stretch, but it's got a few issues that kinda trip me up when I think about it.
  • The biggest offender is Vehicles only being creatures sometimes, because that is really confusing! You also need to pay attention to crew costs when building decks.
  • Energy's just a new resource to spend on familiar effects, so it's not too bad, but it adds a new economy you need to keep track of, and there's a bunch of different ways to gain and spend energy. (All energy spenders coming down with at least some is a very nice feature.) Energy also adds a large number of different activated abilites on the board to keep track of.
  • Finally, there's a whole lot of different triggers on things entering (or leaving, in Aether Revolt) the battlefield, as well as flicker effects, so board states change a lot in surprising ways.

It might be that I wasn't around to really learn Kaladesh, but it feels like lots of cards do similar synergistic things slightly differently, whereas Amonkhet's mechanics are much stricter pigeonholes that are easier to use and understand.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I drafted jund sacrifice several times and thought it was fine. Rotwurm is a big dude with a relevant ability, thrinax is all that jund value, and fists of ironwood can get you though blockers.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The story of today was quite good. Everything in Amokhet is creepy as gently caress (the only one that is currently enjoying the place is Gideon, and we know that he WILL change his mind) and I quite enjoyed the Liliana-Jace dynamics and how they flavoured the Amonkhet necromancy.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Death Bot posted:

Breaching Hippocamp limited all star

At the Mirrodin Beseiged prerelease, I ran into a Viridian Emissary in one of the games and commented on how insane the card was.

Turns out it's a lot worse once you know that it doesn't have infect :v:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Magic Story summary:

Jace and Liliana were loving and Gideon complained about it (because he was too dense to figure out why Jace was at Lili's house early in the morning) so they had to stop. Gideon might as well put on a goddamn fedora at this point; dude is not only friend-zoned as gently caress, but he's a cockblocker.

Except that Gideon pretty explicitly knew that they were loving and also that's definitely not what happened in the story?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

ShaneB posted:

My initial impression is that it's pretty easy to make the cards do what they're supposed to do, but you have a lot of choice of when and if to do that. Like, you don't need enablers or fancy sequencing to cycle a card, but whether to do so or not can often be non-obvious and impactful.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

I am really happy that this abortion of a story drives how cards are designed.

Actually, the story is relatively good this week. It's written competently and without a bunch of bullshit like Chandra's inner-monologues.

Magic Story - Servants

* Liliana is doing her best Tasigur impression, relaxing with mummies serving her food (she later admits the serving mummies are creepy)

* She's uncomfortable with zombies following her command without having to use necromancy. Ever since they got into the city, she hasn't dared use necromancy, assuming it could cause a dangerous reaction. She instead sent out shades to search for information about Razaketh, one of the demons she formed a contract with.

* Raven Man appears (he apparently does a lot). Liliana continues to wonder if he's just a figment of her imagination. He taunts her about her new friends and how she isn't actually doing anything about Razaketh. He tells her that she should be manipulating the Gatewatch into killing Razaketh, but she makes some kind of excuse to sound like she's manipulating them (when she probably isn't).

* He claims he protected her mind from Emrakul and took control of the Chain Veil to save her when a wurm ate her in the first Amonkhet story. This surprises her.

* Jace approaches and Raven Man disappears. Jace and Liliana talk about the mummies, and how they need more information. Liliana notes that every mummy is maimed in some way and that all of them died violently.

* One of Liliana's shades appears with information. It leads them to a building with carvings depicting Razaketh. They go inside and see mummies drag some newly dead initiates inside and follow them. There is basically an assembly line of mummification, with organs stored in unmarked communal jars and bodies set on racks. There is nothing religious about this, it's purely practical.

* Some bodies start moving before the process is complete. Cartouches are placed to keep them under control.

* They see more carvings, explaining that there is a final trial before Bolas opens the gate to the afterlife: Razaketh will be behind it, purging the unworthy who remain. Razaketh, through the carvings, detects Liliana. He tries to evoke her contract, but the Chain Veil protects her, so the mummies attack them instead.

* She tries to use necromancy to control the zombies, but the cartouches stop her. They pull one off a mummy, but the mummy disintegrates.

* The mummies stop when Temmet approaches. He talked with Kefnet's viziers and confirmed the Gatewatch have no birth record. He angrily confronts them, and says some poo poo about how great the "Horned One" is, and Liliana mentions she met him and that he's an rear end in a top hat.

* Jace mind controls Temmet , but he's controlling the zombies, so Jace can't erase his memory, but has him command the mummies to let them go. They run away; but they have to mobilize the GW because Temmet will eventually wake up and alert the locals.

Sampatrick posted:

Except that Gideon pretty explicitly knew that they were loving and also that's definitely not what happened in the story?

Dude, its Gideon, he probably doesn't even know what that is. All it says is "[i]t had happened, a time or three, at her private residence on Ravnica after she joined the Gatewatch. Then Gideon had remarked acidly at some strategy meeting about being unable to find Jace in the early hours of the morning, and that had been the quiet, unremarked-upon end of the thing."

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Question: is Liliana a cougar or a cradle robber?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Actually, the story is relatively good this week. It's written competently and without a bunch of bullshit like Chandra's inner-monologues.

The first section is literally just a description of the art from new Liliana, though

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Liliana posted:

She swallowed the grape, seeds and all of course—spitting was so undignified.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

little munchkin posted:

Every masters set has a handful of extremely awful archetypes. In MM3 the point of BR is splashing for removal cards and dinrova horrors.

Golgari decks in Ravnica classic had a healthy amount of sacrifice. Dredge plus the old combat rules made it much more potent back then. Rakdos did too but it was in the third set and you saw few of them.

I think there was a RB sacrifice theme hinging on Furnace Celebration in Scars of Mirrodin but I don't know if it was a viable option.

Also black in Avacyn Restored hahaha I can't even finish that sentence.

RB (well, FS) in Eternal has a strong sacrifice theme if you want to see it done well. Lots of tokens, sacrifice payoffs, dies triggers, and some graveyard recursion.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Barry Shitpeas posted:

The first section is literally just a description of the art from new Liliana, though

Yup. more or less 8 sentences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Yeah the story this week was OK.