Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

I know a lot of people have bounced off MM17 draft, either voluntarily or not, but I'm curious what BR is supposed to do as a color group. The theme seems to be sacrifice, but the payoffs just don't seem good. The only token enabler I remember is Dragon Fodder, the payoff is Mortician Beetle, and the sac outlets don't seem to affect the board like even a simple Penumbra Spider. I've only drafted it 3 times, but I have never seen anyone force it successfully, even when it seems open.

Its a burn deck, you get in as much damage as you can with spike jesters, and kathari bombers, and then hope to finish them off with burn spells and creatures dying to falkenwrath noble.

Or you just draft grixis for all the good cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Sometimes I wish I had talent:

Howard Lyon paints Nissa, Steward of Elements in time-lapse

Each frame is 1 minute; the actual time lapse covers 42 hours.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 19, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:lol: of course Jace is the pro sex-haver in the MTG background.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Chandra tries her best, okay?

Edit: Also this is really amazing:

Angry Grimace posted:

Sometimes I wish I had talent:

Howard Lyon paints Nissa, Steward of Elements in time-lapse

Each frame is 1 minute; the actual time lapse covers 42 hours.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 19, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Chill la Chill posted:

:lol: of course Jace is the pro sex-haver in the MTG background.

I mean, Gideon's got a healthy interest, but whatever chance he had with Chandra is probably being blown by joining a local cult.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Angry Grimace posted:

Magic Story summary:

Jace and Liliana were loving and Gideon complained about it (because he was too dense to figure out why Jace was at Lili's house early in the morning) so they had to stop. Gideon might as well put on a goddamn fedora at this point; dude is not only friend-zoned as gently caress, but he's a cockblocker.

Really, him summoning white knight allies should have been a tip-off.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Really, him summoning white knight allies should have been a tip-off.

:vince:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So I was looking around on mtgo league results and I keep noticing knightfall popping up every day. Anyone play this on the regular?? I have noticed I own every piece of this already.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

So I was looking around on mtgo league results and I keep noticing knightfall popping up every day. Anyone play this on the regular?? I have noticed I own every piece of this already.

Yes hi

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Some folks at a LGS I know of can't collectively figure out if goyf is same power and toughness in all zones. A lot believe its 0 outside of the battlefield. Everything I am finding online says its the same no matter which zone its in. This is compounded by the fact that both level 1 judges at this location are saying its zero.

Does this have any decent matchup against death shadow?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Sickening posted:

I'm running it and unburial rites in paper. I like it, but I need a lot more reps before I get any good.

I knew I liked you.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sickening posted:

Some folks at a LGS I know of can't collectively figure out if goyf is same power and toughness in all zones. A lot believe its 0 outside of the battlefield. Everything I am finding online says its the same no matter which zone its in. This is compounded by the fact that both level 1 judges at this location are saying its zero.

Judges who can't be arsed to spend 15 seconds to look up the card-specific rulings in Gatherer should actually just have their certifications taken away. The very first loving note in gatherer says "Tarmogoyf’s ability works in all zones, not just while Tarmogoyf is on the battlefield."

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sickening posted:

Its P/T are the same everywhere.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Does this have any decent matchup against death shadow?

Less than stellar I would say, it runs a lot of Reflector Mages for that particular matchup in the sideboard. Game 1 we're a removal light deck against a deck that demands removal for the few threats it drops and that's why the board is now so heavily tuned against that deck (Unified Will, Reflector Mage, Meddling Mage all have play against it and have become pretty heavy options in the sideboard, the Meddling Mages and Unified Wills are probably also because of Eldrazi Tron).

Also I'm stoked as gently caress to try Nissa in that deck when she comes out

E: For reference, count the number of sideboard cards in here that at least have some game against Death's Shadow http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15302&d=293046

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 19, 2017

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah the story this week was OK.

That's because it was written by Kelley this week who is one of their two or three writers with actual talent.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

suicidesteve posted:

Its P/T are the same everywhere.

Yep, * in the P/T box is persistent across all zones according to the rules text, X is 0 everywhere except the board.

E: Thinking about it more, are there even any nontoken creatures with "X/X" in the P/T box?

Mistaken For Bacon fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 19, 2017

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

The easy way to remember this is:
If it DEFINES the power/toughness (~'s p/t is equal to that) it works in all zones.
If it MODIFIES the power/toughness (~ gets +X/+X for each thing) it only works on the battlefield.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Firebatgyro posted:

So I just moved down to Northern VA, whats the best place to go for pre-release around here?
All the shops are about the same, pretty good and the same pools of players. I'd say go to whatever's closest to you between:
Victory Comics
The Island Games
Curio Cavern
Comics and Gaming Fairfax

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

Yep, * in the P/T box is persistent across all zones according to the rules text, X is 0 everywhere except the board.

E: Thinking about it more, are there even any nontoken creatures with "X/X" in the P/T box?

Like, original runs of Keldon Warlord and such did.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I think the funniest thing about Goyf is that it has reminder text that was supposed to be cool future stuff, but now it references an abandoned, archaic card type.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

I think the funniest thing about Goyf is that it has reminder text that was supposed to be cool future stuff, but now it references an abandoned, archaic card type.

What if Interrupts and Mana Sources and all that good poo poo were still in the game

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

little munchkin posted:

Has there ever been a sacrifice archetype that actually worked? I remember it being awful in origins and BFZ as well.

B/R sacrifice was actively good in m14. Neither color was deep, but when the deck came together it was very powerful. Molten Birth / Young Pyro mancer could be a powerful combo to create a lot of fodder. Not as good as the best U or U/G decks but in the top 3 archetypes.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

You'll never take my tarfires!!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

dragon enthusiast posted:

What if Interrupts and Mana Sources and all that good poo poo were still in the game

Tarmogoyf's power is equal to the number of card types among cards in all graveyards and its toughness is equal to that number plus 1. (The card types are artifact, global enchantment, instant, interrupt, land, local enchantment, mana source, sorcery, and summon.)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Tarmogoyf's power is equal to the number of card types among cards in all graveyards and its toughness is equal to that number plus 1. (The card types are artifact, global enchantment, instant, interrupt, land, local enchantment, mana source, sorcery, and summon.)

Look at this newbie not knowing about poly artifacts and mono artifacts!

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

Kelvin Chew has been jamming this for months and I guess he has been 5-0ing leagues most of the time. On the mtg mint card site he has a couple articles about the deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I actually don't understand the logic behind the poly and mono artifact classification. Did Garfield really think it was too much work to type out "tap to do X?"

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Poly and Mono are supertypes so goyf doesn't count them.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Angry Grimace posted:

I actually don't understand the logic behind the poly and mono artifact classification. Did Garfield really think it was too much work to type out "tap to do X?"

Well Garfield thought Magic itself would just be a small portable game to play in between rounds of other more involved games, soooooo...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

There were also Continuous Artifacts! It was basically just a mistake.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you imagine it as being just continuous artifacts vs one-shot artifacts it kind of makes sense.

Poly artifacts are what happens when you try and shoe-horn "and you can use it multiple times!" into that directly instead of taking a step back and seeing if there's a better way to do the whole thing.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Whoops, looks like a new set name accidentally leaked.

http://twitter.com/MishrasFotoshop/status/854845797409714177

Normally I wouldn't give this much thrift, but:

http://twitter.com/MishrasFotoshop/status/854849759483273216

If you put anything other than iconic-masters at the end of that url, it just gives you the normal products page. Iconic-masters exists and is explicitly blocked to the outside world.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Cool, glad they followed up on Eternal Masters.

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me
Newbie here, this weekends prerelease will be my first time playing magic and hopefully not my last. Aside from actually going down to a local store and playing I've been doing all I can to get a grasp of the game. CFB gave Slither Blade a 0 but a 1 mana 1/2 that can't be blocked seems useful to me?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

tqilamknbrd posted:

Newbie here, this weekends prerelease will be my first time playing magic and hopefully not my last. Aside from actually going down to a local store and playing I've been doing all I can to get a grasp of the game. CFB gave Slither Blade a 0 but a 1 mana 1/2 that can't be blocked seems useful to me?

It just doesn't do enough to justify a spot in your deck. Pinging your opponent for 1 each turn isn't impactful.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

tqilamknbrd posted:

It doesn't do very much. The only way it would ever be good is if you loaded it up with enchantments, but that's generally a bad strategy because you lose all the cards when/if it gets killed.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

tqilamknbrd posted:

It's a really, really low impact thing to be spending a card on. It sounds good until you think about all the other things that card could have done for 1 or 2 more mana. There's no good equipment to put on it as far as I know, and trying to enchant things is a great way to get blown out, especially in sealed.

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me
Fair enough, thanks all.

Angry Grimace posted:

It doesn't do very much. The only way it would ever be good is if you loaded it up with enchantments, but that's generally a bad strategy because you lose all the cards when/if it gets killed.

So the same apply to Sacred Cat, regardless of picking up Regal Caracal? *Or is that a different story because of lifelink and embalm?

tqilamknbrd fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 20, 2017

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

tqilamknbrd posted:

Fair enough, thanks all.

So the same apply to Sacred Cat, regardless of picking up Regal Caracal? *Or is that a different story because of lifelink and embalm?

Same applies really - Sacred Cat is only going to chump block twice.

Regal Caracal just makes it a 2/2 lifelinker; double lifelink doesn't stack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

tqilamknbrd posted:

There's a concept that takes a while to appreciate where you have to ask "is this worth a card"? Its the same reason why ornithopter is unplayable. New players look at it and say "its free, this has to be playable, right". Its not, because cards are a precious, limited resource in the game. You might get access to 15 or 16 cards in your deck in a game. You want all your cards to be relevant to your goal of winning.

1 mana 1/2 unblockable might seem good, and the cost is probably right, but its not playable because it just doesn't do enough. If it was 2/2 unblockable, it would be far more powerful because now you have a little beater that can do a lot towards getting someone from 20 to zero.