Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

tqilamknbrd posted:

Fair enough, thanks all.

So the same apply to Sacred Cat, regardless of picking up Regal Caracal? *Or is that a different story because of lifelink and embalm?

sacred cat is less clear, because lifelink is very powerful, and there are some playable auras that can make it good. I generally begin any format thinking any lifelink creature is playable until it is proven to be unplayable. This one might be unplayable, but I need to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

tqilamknbrd posted:

Fair enough, thanks all.

So the same apply to Sacred Cat, regardless of picking up Regal Caracal? *Or is that a different story because of lifelink and embalm?

No, Sacred cat is a fair bit better, although this is for draft not sealed. Having lifelink is huge, but it won't go in every deck. It wants to be in either a going wide lots of creatures aggressive deck with pump your team spells, or a slower deck looking to get to the late game and willing to have a card that will gain some life, maybe hold off a creature or two and then chump twice.

Even if you have Regal Caracal it wouldn't meaningfully change my opinion on Sacred Cat, you aren't likely to have them in play together.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

tqilamknbrd posted:

Fair enough, thanks all.

Sacred Cat's actually maybe okay even without other synergies, just because of embalm. How good Sacred Cat is is going to be a really good indicator of how good embalm is overall; it's definitely not worth a card just on its face, but the fact that you can get another Sacred Cat out of it is *maybe* enough to get it there. It'll never be better than 'okay', but it does have the potential to get that far.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Marketing New Brain posted:

No, Sacred cat is a fair bit better, although this is for draft not sealed.

Yep, I'm planning not to play sacred cat in sealed this weekend. In a draft if I'm white and I see one late, I'm gonna pause and wonder if my deck can make it work or not, because I don't think you play sacred cat without any way to pump its power. (or if I have a black white deck that cares about zombies, that alone might be enough)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

its good though because it can give you a creature at will later in the game. having that option on the table is never bad because its basically a chump blocker when you need it or another card if you're trying to go just a little wider later

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

its me glenda posted:

its good though because it can give you a creature at will later in the game. having that option on the table is never bad because its basically a chump blocker when you need it or another card if you're trying to go just a little wider later

If sacred cat had, say vigilance instead of lifelink, I don't think I ever play it unless I've got a zombie deck with a couple zombie lords and I'm just taking every zombie and embalm creature.

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me
I'm sure I'll lose a bunch of games before I gain even the slightest sense of value appreciation and for that matter ~synergy~, but thanks for the heads up.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
OMG... Can you guys please put your DCI dicks away??

Unless you have loads of beta Duals or an alpha lotus sitting around the date you started playing is irrelevant.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

DoctorOozy posted:

Unless you have loads of beta Duals or an alpha lotus sitting around the date you started playing is irrelevant.

I bet you have like 12 numbers on your DCI card. :smuggo:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
High DCI number spotted.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

DoctorOozy posted:

lol look at this 12-digit scrub trying to call people out for a convo that ended 3 pages ago

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

I bet you have like 12 numbers on your DCI card. :smuggo:

Yes my DCI is 14k digits long and it affects my ability to get hard...

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

lol look at this 12-digit scrub trying to call people out for a convo that ended 3 pages ago

I can not argue the 3 pages thing...

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I also signed up for pre-release and have never owned a magic card. I have completed the first 30 or so missions on the iPhone game though so I am all set to win the whole thing.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Tainen posted:

I also signed up for pre-release and have never owned a magic card. I have completed the first 30 or so missions on the iPhone game though so I am all set to win the whole thing.

Remember; lands in front, tap to the left.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Sacred Cat feels kinda like one of those cards like Servo Exhibition that gives you two 1/1 tokens for 1W. In total it asks you to spend two mana, including a requirement of one white mana source, to get two 1/1's. Of course, it's different in that the tokens are on the field separately instead of together, so it's not giving you two power worth of creatures on turn two. But that also means thatm in terms of the turn you play it, it's competing for space with other one-drops instead of with two-drops. And it has Liflink. Even before factoring in its other synergies (Cat type, Zombie type, discard/mill), I'd be surprised if it weren't playable.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Remember; lands in front, tap to the left.
Stop trying to trick him. You represent tapping by placing a bead on the card.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
As said before, how good embalm ends up being will determine how playable a card like Sacred Cat is. Being a 2-for-1 minimum has potential to be acceptable on its face, especially if it manages to deal damage and/or gain you some life.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Stop trying to trick him. You represent tapping by placing a bead on the card.

Yes, this is so when you tap an opponent's tapped creature it becomes double tapped.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Come on guys. I said I played a bit of the ios game. I know the first rule is that if you are not happy with your first mulligan you just restart the match.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Who's got time for beads? I just turn my cards just slightly to the right so they're not straight and that's good enough.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You make up time by sweeping all the beads off your cards instead of turning them individually when it's time to untap.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Tainen posted:

Come on guys. I said I played a bit of the ios game. I know the first rule is that if you are not happy with your first mulligan you just restart the match.

its a little different in paper. the proper action is to announce to your opponent that this always happens to you then claim that you even added/removed lands to compensate for it

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I haven't looked forward to drafting a set more than this one in a long time. cycling, and two different mechanics that both let me cast from the graveyard? Very nice.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

TheChirurgeon posted:

You underestimate this thread's abilities.

Tainen posted:

There's an iOS game? I hesitantly ask, is it any good?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It's baseline is basically WW gain 6 on an installment plan between lifelink and two blocks on bears. It's kind of a life gain card that in dire straits can attack or once in a while ride a synergy wave from zombies or one of the thirty power boosters in BWR. How good that is to be determined.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

InterrupterJones posted:

The iOS game is magic duels and it plays like the PC version.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Rigel posted:

If sacred cat had, say vigilance instead of lifelink, I don't think I ever play it unless I've got a zombie deck with a couple zombie lords and I'm just taking every zombie and embalm creature.

This is about as relevant as someone saying that counterspell would be a terrible card if it was a sorcery instead of an instant. Being able to get extra value from cards and paying mana in installments is very, very good. Chumping a big creature for two turns and gaining a small amount of life for so little mana is a very powerful effect. You don't need to "get there" with a card like Sacred Cat. It gives you a cheap, efficient way to get a few extra draw steps in a deck that wants it.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

InterrupterJones posted:

Yeah magic duels. It's got about 60 single player matches and a full online mode with all the expansions from origins 2015 to aether revolt.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

tqilamknbrd posted:

Fair enough, thanks all.

No, because Sacred Cat has 2 abilities that are highly relevant in an average game of Magic, whereas Slither Blade has 1 ability that isn't terribly relevant on a 1/2. You're trying to evaluate how much "work" the card will put in in a regular game of Magic.

The problem with Slither Blade is that its a 1/2 with an ability that only rewards you for attacking with it, but you don't really want to play cards that can't do anything but attack for 1. Sacred Cat doesn't do that - it's good on defense because Embalm lets you recur it, you still gain life on a block, and if you use it aggressively attacking with it creates an effective 2 point life swing (since your opponent loses 1 and you gain 1).

You aren't going to be picking Sacred Cat really high in draft, but I'm guessing you almost always play 1 of them if you have them.

tqilamknbrd posted:

I'm sure I'll lose a bunch of games before I gain even the slightest sense of value appreciation and for that matter ~synergy~, but thanks for the heads up.

Nobody knows what's good in terms of new mechanics until they've gotten to play it. Embalm is a mechanic people only *theoretically* understand because its a new mechanic.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Sacred Cat's actually maybe okay even without other synergies, just because of embalm. How good Sacred Cat is is going to be a really good indicator of how good embalm is overall; it's definitely not worth a card just on its face, but the fact that you can get another Sacred Cat out of it is *maybe* enough to get it there. It'll never be better than 'okay', but it does have the potential to get that far.

I think almost every white limited deck would be happy with a single Sacred Cat. At the very worst its a 1-drop roadblock that can chump twice and gain you 2 life for very little mana. I'm like 99% sure you want to play Sacred Cat; its worth a card in your deck because it does a lot for a minimal mana investment. I have played lots and lots of winning draft decks with cards obviously worse than Sacred Cat.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 20, 2017

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Angry Grimace posted:

Nobody knows what's good in terms of new mechanics until they've gotten to play it. Embalm is a mechanic people only *theoretically* understand because its a new mechanic.

We have, however, seen a fair number of similar mechanics (flashback and unearth in particular), enough that we've got a frame of reference for how good being able to cast a card out of your graveyard is (it is very good almost regardless of what the actual card does). If embalm turns out poorly it's because we've radically misjudged the overall shape of the format, not the mechanic itself. Which is possible, but unlikely.

Basically yes, it's a matter of having similar things before.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ThePeavstenator posted:

This is about as relevant as someone saying that counterspell would be a terrible card if it was a sorcery instead of an instant. Being able to get extra value from cards and paying mana in installments is very, very good. Chumping a big creature for two turns and gaining a small amount of life for so little mana is a very powerful effect. You don't need to "get there" with a card like Sacred Cat. It gives you a cheap, efficient way to get a few extra draw steps in a deck that wants it.

You didn't understand my point. I believed he was saying that chump blocking 2 times alone (without any other ability including lifelink) for 2 mana on installment was good. I disagreed, and insisted that lifelink (which can be abused with other cards) made the difference.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 20, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

The Lord of Hats posted:

We have, however, seen a fair number of similar mechanics (flashback and unearth in particular), enough that we've got a frame of reference for how good being able to cast a card out of your graveyard is (it is very good almost regardless of what the actual card does). If embalm turns out poorly it's because we've radically misjudged the overall shape of the format, not the mechanic itself. Which is possible, but unlikely.

Basically yes, it's a matter of having similar things before.

I mean, sure, but what I was trying to get at is that how good any given mechanic is is hard to say without playing the format to see what boardstates look like. Generally speaking, the difference there is that with Embalm you just get the creature back and you have a lot more room for creatures than spells so the value of Embalm might be quite different than either of those mechanics. I also think Lifelink as a keyword, despite being in every single set, is one that a lot of players have difficulty evaluating regardless of what the format looks like.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 20, 2017

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Went 3-1 at modern night with grixis death's delver losing the final match while 14 people watched me make mistakes on twitch. Got enough credit for half of a French snappy I picked up tho :toot:

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Star Man posted:

Who's got time for beads? I just turn my cards just slightly to the right so they're not straight and that's good enough.

I'm pretty sure this is correct.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Pontius Pilate posted:

Went 3-1 at modern night with grixis death's delver losing the final match while 14 people watched me make mistakes on twitch. Got enough credit for half of a French snappy I picked up tho :toot:

Nice work! I became modern league champion today. Beat burn, affinity, and jund to work through top
8 and won $150

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mossyfisk posted:

I'm pretty sure this is correct.

I'm referring to when people turn their cards over maybe ten degrees when they tap them for an ability or attack.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Star Man posted:

I'm referring to when people turn their cards over maybe ten degrees when they tap them for an ability or attack.

As shown in the tap symbol.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The masterpieces look less bad when you can actually read the text.