Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PJOmega posted:

As shown in the tap symbol.

I'm smart; I went to college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Star Man posted:

I'm smart; I went to college.

Is all good. I graduated next to someone that thought "business environment" was about whether a business used eco friendly fuels.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Masterpiece art is still really small but Dusk//Dawn looks nice and symmetrical.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

drat, I forgot how bad Bontu is.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Rigel posted:

You didn't understand my point. I believed he was saying that chump blocking 2 times alone (without any other ability including lifelink) for 2 mana on installment was good. I disagreed, and insisted that lifelink (which can be abused with other cards) made the difference.

Ah sorry, I was reading that as "never play 1/1s in limited".

Yeah the lifelink is what makes the card along with embalm.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I'm pretty sure Sacred Cat is bad because two chumps and two life isn't actually that good. Servo Expedition and other cards that make two 1/1s let you have them at the same time so they can double block an x/2. With Sacred Cat you'll never get both 1/1s at once so unless there's a bunch of x/1s running around its on board impact is minimal.

On the other hand I think they underrated the white monument because it'll generate way more tokens and you don't need to be white to get use of it.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
It's more that the amount of investment on your part to play it or get it back from the grave is minimal. No one's arguing that the weakest embalm card in the set is good, just that it's playable because of embalm (and lifelink).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Being a throw-in to allow a 2/2 to trade up with a 3/3 or a 3/3 to trade up with a 4/4 can also be valuable. Is doing that twice and gaining two life worth a card?

If you have a powerful late-game deck that just needs a little help to survive to the late game it might be good enough, but it's definitely filler material rather than a card you go hunting for.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

I'm pretty sure Sacred Cat is bad because two chumps and two life isn't actually that good. Servo Expedition and other cards that make two 1/1s let you have them at the same time so they can double block an x/2. With Sacred Cat you'll never get both 1/1s at once so unless there's a bunch of x/1s running around its on board impact is minimal.

On the other hand I think they underrated the white monument because it'll generate way more tokens and you don't need to be white to get use of it.

Maybe its good if theres a lot of x/x-1s in the set where the cat trades up with some help but that seems extremely optimisic and the card is probably just bad

Jabor posted:

Being a throw-in to allow a 2/2 to trade up with a 3/3 or a 3/3 to trade up with a 4/4 can also be valuable. Is doing that twice and gaining two life worth a card?

You're trading 3 cards for 2 in that scenario and even then the stars have have to align for that to happen.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 20, 2017

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

TheMaestroso posted:

It's more that the amount of investment on your part to play it or get it back from the grave is minimal. No one's arguing that the weakest embalm card in the set is good, just that it's playable because of embalm (and lifelink).

I'm saying it's not playable. LSV and Marshall had it at C and C- (I forget who had what grade), i think it's D level. Though I would side it in if i'm up against a bunch of x/1s or otherwise extremely aggro deck and need breathing room.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Cat isn't amazing but you're going to have one untapped land during a turn doing nothing a lot more often than two in limited. Having a cheap chump blocker in a grindy format is good, especially when it gains you small amounts of life.

From the perspective of the player that casts the cat it won't be amazing, but an opponent that wants to beat down through it is going to find it pretty annoying that two attacks with their best creature did nothing but gain their opponent two life.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lone Goat posted:

I'm saying it's not playable. LSV and Marshall had it at C and C- (I forget who had what grade), i think it's D level. Though I would side it in if i'm up against a bunch of x/1s or otherwise extremely aggro deck and need breathing room.

Combat Celebrant, Vizier of Remedies, and Initiate's Companion are the only X/1 it does anything to. The others fly, revive, or have exert or dies triggers that make blocking them with a 1/1 not work.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

If I could make my opponent go down a card for two life I'd love the opportunity. Hell I'd do it for 6 life. It's not like Nourish was playable either.

Also slow grindy formats are about card advantage and having each card in your deck play a purpose, not tossing away resources for a bit of life.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
In a situation where you are chumping with cat its going to usually be like 10+ life you are gaining, which is a pretty reasonable card.

This might change after I've done a bunch of draft/sealed but for right now I think it something you will usually play as long as you aren't an aggro deck

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Combat Celebrant, Vizier of Remedies, and Initiate's Companion are the only X/1 it does anything to. The others fly, revive, or have exert or dies triggers that make blocking them with a 1/1 not work.
You have to exert as you declare attackers, so just having the cat on board forces Glory-Bound Initiate, Rhet-Crop Spearmaster and Nef-Crop Entangler to slow their roll.

It's also a really good -1/-1 counter victim, but I don't know if that's a compliment. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Scared Cat seems like a reasonable 22nd/23rd playable at least.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

HASCON—Hasbro's first-ever convention—is coming September 8–10 to Providence, Rhode Island, and Magic has a few special events planned that you won't want to miss.

As Magic celebrates its 25th Anniversary, we'll be kicking off a year-long celebration full of exciting products and experiences at HASCON, including an old-school Prerelease of Iconic Masters—a set you are just hearing about for the first time right now.

Iconic Masters offers players a tour through some of the most iconic cards in Magic history. Featuring new artwork on many cards, the set brings an array of Angels, Sphinxes, Demons, Dragons, and Hydras alongside some of our favorite and most memorable spells over the game's entire history. Iconic Masters is truly a celebration of Magic's 25 years. Every box contains 24 booster packs of 15 cards each, including one premium card in every pack—perfect for drafting with your friends.

Iconic Masters, which is being released as part of Magic's 25th Anniversary celebration, does not actually release until November 17, but that's what makes the event at HASCON so special. Back when Magic was still young, Prereleases used to be experiences that players entered into without knowing a single card in the set. Previews didn't exist, and Prerelease participants were experiencing the cards for the first time.

So the first people to play with Iconic Masters will also be the first people to see the cards in public!

In addition to kicking off our 25th Anniversary, HASCON will also prominently feature Ixalan, Magic's next large set, next new world, and the block that will take us into 2018. Look for more details on Ixalan in our June product announcement that will focus on all the big news that will take us through our 25th Anniversary.

We'll also have events, panels, play experiences, and more coming at HASCON, but we're keeping those secret for now. To find out, you'll just have to join in!

To learn more about HASCON or to sign up for insider access and first notice on ticket sales, visit HASCON.hasbro.com.
🤔

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

quote:

Angels, Sphinxes, Demons, Dragons, and Hydras

Where the gently caress is Lord of Atlantis's long needed reprint?! :argh:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Two $10 msrp masters sets in a year. These things must rake it in.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Hmmm, what is hascon?

Nope.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Seems like a little overkill.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Sickening posted:

Hmmm, what is hascon?

Nope.

Can't wait to go to a magic event where the players are the least-weird adults there.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Well people keep saying they will not play Standard any more.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ThePeavstenator posted:

Can't wait to go to a magic event where the players are the least-weird adults there.

I dont' know about going to Hascon, but I think the idea of drafting a set with no information about its contents is really cool. Seems like a neat way to really put your evaluation skills and instincts to the test.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Siivola posted:

Well people keep saying they will not play Standard any more.

It was all part of the plan.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Iconic Masters sounds like a really cool set and I am excited

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

What about the adults going to the convention with their children

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

I dont' know about going to Hascon, but I think the idea of drafting a set with no information about its contents is really cool. Seems like a neat way to really put your evaluation skills and instincts to the test.

Shits going to get leaked prior one way or another

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I can't wait to open a Shivan Dragon.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sampatrick posted:

Iconic Masters sounds like a really cool set and I am excited

We barely know anything about it besides the spoiler gimmick.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

both of these look fine, but even if you think the masterpiece needs to be a 1 for 1 representation of the actual card (which i can understand), i don't understand how you would whine about the aftermath cards not making you go out of your way to read them

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

DangerDongs posted:

I can't wait to open a Shivan Dragon.

Same but unironically if they print it at uncommon

e: And also with the original Melissa Benson art that loving owned and not the later garbage yellow turd art they replaced it with

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

What about the adults going to the convention with their children

children...enjoying children's entertainment??? like that ever happens

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sickening posted:

Hmmm, what is hascon?

Nope.

just scroll down a bit and you will find the representation of our game that proves it's a centerpiece at the mighty hascon

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
When I think of "iconic" I think of basically Chronicles style stuff. To me, the cards that are iconic of Magic aren't necessarily the most powerful. Stuff like Ernham Djinn, Llanowar Elves, Hurloon Minotaur, Shivan Dragon, etc. There's stuff like Lightning Bolt and Demonic Tutor, too. What's iconic is probably different for different people depending on when they started playing.

The announcement likely doesn't matter because we have like a 1% chance of both being able to attend HasCon and being able to play in the prerelease.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

When I think of "iconic" I think of basically Chronicles style stuff. To me, the cards that are iconic of Magic aren't necessarily the most powerful. Stuff like Ernham Djinn, Llanowar Elves, Hurloon Minotaur, Shivan Dragon, etc. There's stuff like Lightning Bolt and Demonic Tutor, too. What's iconic is probably different for different people depending on when they started playing.

The announcement likely doesn't matter because we have like a 1% chance of both being able to attend HasCon and being able to play in the prerelease.

Is hascon really that hard to get into?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

BJPaskoff posted:

Basically this.
Fireball, counterspell, dark ritual, Sera angel and so on.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Is hascon really that hard to get into?

Don't most nerd cons sell out in under a half hour after they open registration at a random unannounced time?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What's an iconic Sphinx?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

What's an iconic Sphinx?

not close

E: I guess Sharuum might be kind of close because edh, but consecrated is also great in edh