Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
There was some talk of shorter DCI numbers in the previous thread (rip) and I always feel smug when I get paired up against a person with a newer one. All that smugness disappeared when I played an older guy with a three digit one in the 200s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

its me glenda posted:

mine is 6 digits but its a carryover from when i played the pokemon tcg in late 99 early 00.

That's how I got my 7 digit one but no one needs to know that. Besides I started playing magic during odyssey/onslaught so close enough.

The guy had been playing since the beginning and I'm not sure when the DCI came into existence but presumably he played at a very early event. When poking around on the subject I found this: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/lowest-dci-number-2009-03-05-0 which says the lowest one used in the last year was 1000, but that was 2009. However I'm almost certain it was 3 digits and I found a Reddit post saying that they played against a guy with a 3 digit one at GP Chicago a couple years ago. And I played him at a Chicago store for Kaladesh prerelease so maybe he was taking a break ~09.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 19, 2017

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Went 3-1 at modern night with grixis death's delver losing the final match while 14 people watched me make mistakes on twitch. Got enough credit for half of a French snappy I picked up tho :toot:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Just buy shortly after a masters set drops. It's pretty predictable at this point.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Cross-posted with the buy/sell thread: If anyone here is in the San Francisco or San Jose area, keep your ears open for someone who got their collection stolen, as it's up for sale here: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/clt/6095940211.html

Well that's certainly priced to move.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

ThePeavstenator posted:

My uncle owned a game shop that only had a foiled-out collection that would fit in a backpack.

He also worked at Nintendo and his name was Albert Einstein.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Sickening posted:

Set your expectations pretty low. Generally about 40% of whatever tcg low is on your cards that aren't bulk. If some of your stuff is high demand 75% of tcglow.

I haven't done it myself but it was my understanding that GPs were the best time to sell to stores. Obviously better to do it yourself on eBay or some such but still the best convenient option.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

black potus posted:

Beat wrapter one game and 2-0d some guy with Approach of the Second Sun I think I solved the format.

Did wrapter beat you the other two games?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

mcmagic posted:

It's best comparison is Smugglers Copter in standard. It's too powerful in comparison to the input cost of playing it. Every fair deck plays it and it's too ubiquitous.

Pyramid is insane but I think the monuments are pretty unplayable. The whole cycle.

Miracles?

Ban DRS from being played with blue cards in legacy.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

suicidesteve posted:

Of our dozen or so legacy regulars, I think maybe 4 play more than 1 format, and that's if you count me having modern decks but playing it on average 3 times a year.

I can buy this and I think it's a similar rate among serious cubers based on my strong evidence of reading cube forums and the two cube articles a year. Prerelease is probably the biggest exception but that brings a lot of different types of magic players together for a weekend. Cube and modern are the formats I play the most with the occasional sprinkling of others (except standard) and that seems like more than the average cuber dedicated enough to post on cube forums.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Shadow225 posted:

Protean Hulk was 4 bucks yesterday and 25 today lol.
At least I got to snag 4 Tops for my EDH decks for 40 shipped!

Time to dig out the one I have! Anyone interested??

I think in the previous thread people mentioned that KMCs suck now? Is that true and if so what's the hot new sleeve? Need to resleeve a deck and the cube probably needs it too but that's such a pain. Know people were happy with those dragon shields purple/turquoise mattes or whatever but I'd want something more neutral. Probably just black let's be real.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Walked posted:

Ultra Pro Eclipse Matte are great. KMC sadly suck now.

Do ultra pros still have that stupid circle holo stamp?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Sickening posted:

Nope! They actually listened after a decade or more of that poo poo.

Oh thank god. I'm sold. What's the best inner sleeve for 'em?

kingcobweb posted:

In a stunning return to form, I wrote a short obituary for Sensei's Divining Top, where I am extraordinarily fair and balanced in talking about this historically important card. http://blog.killgold.fish/2017/04/senseis-divining-top-even-handed-and.html

Weird. I checked your blog a couple days ago for the first time in ages curious if you were still writing. Seemed like a no, especially since I don't care about LoL, but here you are.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

TheChirurgeon posted:

I've been in MTGO games where playing an plasm capture resulted in me being called an rear end in a top hat and followed by a concession

Mana drain outside of vintage is pretty rude.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Went 4-0 at the weekly modern tourney at the LGS with grixis death's delver. Got lucky in my matchups: beat jund death's shadow, abzan company, naya bushwhacker, and elves in the finals. Got $40 in credit.

Since adding the death's shadows I've gone 3-1, 3-1, 2-2, 4-0, and top 8 at a GPT. Mostly more casual events but at one of the spikier stores in town with players usually playing real decks. Ignoring my twin (rip) break, it's the best delver deck I've played since treasure cruise (rip) was legal.

Also lol wizards.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Why is Prophecy nearly $50? I thought there was nothing of value in that set and a terrible limited format to boot though that's obviously not relevant in dawnglare lists.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Watch then shoe-horn some holy trinity bullshit like Elspeth, the Risen, her father who was the dude that did the original WOG, and some spirit god that my limited Catholic knowledge prevents me from detailing.

The trinity is a very widespread Christian thing, not just Catholic, and a good chunk of nontrinitarian sects border on cultish fyi.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

suicidesteve posted:

I've played a bunch of fast combo and a bunch of True-name decks Death and Taxes can't ever beat. So hooray, my deck is unplayable too! What an improvement to the format.

What fast combo are you losing to?

And is this like the shops restrictions where unplayable means playable afterwards and now the most played deck?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

kingcobweb posted:

If you actually want a full breakdown of this I can give that but if you're just gonna make Sick Burns about stuff I wrote two years ago then nah

I generally genuinely enjoy your writing and, even if I didn't, it's different from the vast majority of generic, vapid magic writing that I'd say keep it up.

Given that I do enjoy it, please write more.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Does KCW's blog even have ads? I have ad blockers installed like a remotely sane person but I thought he just made his money through patreon.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Which card cracks the candle budget tweet? Just the Wind? Legends Greed?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
gently caress I've made two huge mistakes.

Okay what's the owned corn polymorph card?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

80s James Hetfield posted:

I feel like asking this question is dumb to begin with when you already know the answer.

It's a grognard format where people want to achieve "X" and then get all mad and butthurt when you prevent them from doing it by doing "Y".

Also, a huge majority of playerbase have the mindset that their playstyle is good and fair but the second you break up their infinite combo or their 3-4 card synergy you're a dickhead for interrupting that goal and taking way their fun

Anytime I've ever tried to watch an EDH game on YouTube (MTGGoldfish/SCG) it always turn into a boring cry fest where the players are like "Why are you attacking me?!" "Why are you destroying my (thing) but you're leaving his (thing)

Now they just banned a bunch of things for what they consider "oppressive game play" (Sol Ring lol) while ignoring way more dumb and oppressive poo poo like Cyclonic Rift and a bunch of other poo poo that people can name off the top of their head faster than me

Are you just purposefully ignoring the 1v1 aspect or?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

80s James Hetfield posted:

Did the screenshot like 5 posts up from the WOTC employee not say "We're sharing one banned list for BOTH 1v1 and multiplayer?"

Yes but the announcement and article were about the 1v1 format they're introducing and slanting the ban list towards. You then took issue with the format by saying things like people complain about attacking me and not the other person.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Star Man posted:

At least there was one in that area this year. There aren't any in my whole loving timezone all year. What's so bad about Denver :(

Your travel ads rub how many days of sunshine you get in our faces.

Unfortunate that the Midwest is only getting a couple more and in Ohio to boot. Chicago(land) has a lotta successful stores with a lotta players but SCG doesn't quite reach here and Wizards/PastTimes doesn't seem eager to cough up that Rosemont cash very often.

Guess it could be worse as many goons were quick to point out. SCG and CFB just need to collaborate and blanket the country with tourneys idk

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

TheChirurgeon posted:

Man Homelands was so loving garbage that it almost killed Magic entirely

Even the flavor was wildly uneven and at best just OK

Yeah for nearly unplayable early sets The Dark, Arabian Nights, and Antiquities beat Homelands on flavor and cards. For clearly unplayable early sets Fallen Empires had much better flavor at least than Homelands. And abu sets the bar overall of course.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

uninverted posted:

I'm in the market for a cheapish modern deck to play on magic online and I've been looking at Amulet Titan; can anyone recommend for or against it? I really like fiddly combo decks with lots of lines, but I don't know whether it's any good or not.

It's definitely still good enough for FNM level play and it sounds right up your alley. Storm also fits the bill.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Standard looks...fun?

A guy at my LGS tonight declined to play cube with us Friday night so he could play standard FNM.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Molybdenum posted:

they've printed so many serra angel variants and they are SOOO much stronger.

check out baneslayer angel and archangel avacyn

Guy probably doesn't even know how to play magic.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Hellsau posted:

The greater problem is that people who actually don't care about getting real valuable stuff also can't get anything. I wanted a lot of lovely Pauper cards and couldn't get anything, because I have points and don't want to send more cards out, but because I haven't sent cards out recently my wants literally don't show up for other people. I am the kind of trader that should be the focus of Pucatrade - I'm willing to send off high dollar EDH poo poo in return for a bunch of jank. I'm what keeps the economy going, and deliberately blocking me from receiving my junk is laughably suicidal.

So yes, Pucatrade is dead. Specifically it's dead due to the actions of the Pucatrade team making a shittier version of their site and then making it even worse.

I got out a bit before the site redesign and the very legible writing was on the wall then but mostly for more constructed staples. I knew it had gotten even worse but that's hilariously bad.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Hellsau posted:

Only $600 for the tickets, but I guess you get three promos and two drafts. That's a great deal!

What really? I've only been to GenCon and it's fairly cheap; do other nerd cons approach that amount?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
These seem fine for edh dragon decks and the first one is a completely reasonable card? What am I missing? idk don't play edh tho

In other news, this weekend in cube I managed to beat a near ultimate JtMS and Elspeth Sun's Champ by taking a soldier token with v shackles, tapping it with opposition to tap another one, sac it to greater gargadon, swing with goblin dark dwellers which had flashed back ancestral recall, over and over. The game alone lasted an hour and was incredibly sweet. In another game I blocked a dragonlord atarka with a reveillark, bringing back a phantasmal image cloning the dragonlord and shot atarka for the rest and a lotus cobra. Tons of other cool plays as well.

cube

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Veyrall posted:

The first one is weird because Wizards is all about "resonance" and branding and since there's no pre-existing anything for cat dragons, it'd be weird as poo poo for them to bring it back now. Not impossible, but just bizarre. O-Kagachi breaks the traditional Kamigawa god-spirit mold by not having divinity counters or indestructible, on top of having an extremely weak effect and low stats for the cost. Again, not impossible, but super-weird. And finally, the Ur-Dragon is just a complete pile of abilities, including a keyworded version of Oloro's ability to affect things from the command zone, which makes sense, coupled with an absolutely bonkers card-advantage and battlefield advantage ability that might as well read "you win the game" because there's effectively no way for the opponent/s to make any kind of comeback from that. Again, not impossible, completely, but now we're three for three for cards that just don't seem right.

Now, don't get me wrong. If you'd shown me the partner commanders as a leak, I'd have thought those were fake as poo poo too, because of how utterly weak they were. I could very well be wrong here and those could all be real cards and spoilers. It's just not likely.

Edit: Also, I would submit "Wasitora, Nekoru Queen" as a candidate for worst loving name for a card in existance. It is 2/3rds made-up nonsense fantasy language and the whole card reads like bad fanfiction.

It makes sense for them to jam tribes together for the tribal edh set just to hit a broader spectrum of players. And I'm pretty sure they think, rightly so, that a kamigawa callback doesn't need to follow the mechanics exactly. Re: pile of abilities see Samut; and yes the 9 drop is pretty damned good when you cast it and successfully attack with dragons.

Still not comprehending why these seem implausible considering we've had a couple weird commander sets recently and Wizards.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 25, 2017

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
e: whoops

For contentish: another point in favor of these being real is that commander sets are basically the only way they can do weird callbacks these days.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 25, 2017

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Yes that is a card with rebound.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Thank god they brought back dwarves in time.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Tales of Woe posted:

Bolas will be a good trump in midrange and control matchups but he's worse vs aggro than the current 6cmc planeswalkers.

Samut probably doesn't make it in this Standard if Arlinn Kord didn't. Also she's the 5th RG planeswalker character they've made while most color pairs only have 1-2 active characters and BR has 0 outside of conspiracy world.

And most of em are 4 mana. It's kinda bizarre really.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Angry Grimace posted:

I think Reid Duke just realized he wasn't supposed to mention that there's 800 players at GP Omaha when there is normally 1,200.

Also 6 Marvel decks in the Top 8.

And one temur energy! That plus the top 32 numbers... whoops.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

myDad posted:

But the best deck in modern is a control deck

It is actually an aggro control deck or a tempo deck which means