Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Siivola posted:

As an interesting bit of trivia, Chris L'Etoile (easily my favouritest Magic story writer) wrote for Mass Effects one and two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Sickening posted:

So I was looking around on mtgo league results and I keep noticing knightfall popping up every day. Anyone play this on the regular?? I have noticed I own every piece of this already.

I'm running it and unburial rites in paper. I like it, but I need a lot more reps before I get any good.

I knew I liked you.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
What if they're getting around the reserved list by recompiling cards that they had printed way back in the day?

Something like how they put old cards into the first printing of Zendikar?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

EatinCake posted:

I like the reserved list, as it ensures some cards from the past will always retain their value, and also isn't really a blocker on re-creating old cards. If they wanted to they can easily reprint any reserved list card with very, very minor tweaks. They've done this a handful of times already.

Iconic Masters seem's like a weird way to approach it. For me, iconic is frozen shade. ...which is not something I want to open in a booster pack that would cost $10. Are hydra's even that 'iconic' when you go back to older sets? Outside of the red one from Apha that GREW HEADS.

As fun as the master's sets have been, I'm still waiting for another Time Spiral-esque set to show up. There's so much fun references and clever cards that came out of that block.

Lottery of Babylon, is that you?

Source your quotes.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I wonder if investor3 from mtgs is still :spergin: over masters reprints not being real cards.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Is this the same guy who was flipping out that cards printed in masters sets aren't real cards

It is, and god bless that motherfucker. In much the same way that I am inspired to clean my house when I see pictures of hoarder houses, I get inspired to buy singles whenever I read his posts.

Too bad his genetic line ends with him, I assume, because who would gently caress that guy, as we can expect that the universe will see fit to distribute his ubergooniness among us all upon his death, rather than to continue to see it concentrated in one place.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

JerryLee posted:

Thanks for the clarification. Normally when I hear "given a second opportunity," I parse that as "hosed up the first time."

Wasn't her first fuckup marrying Frank Lepore, or was that someone else?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Veyrall posted:

Okay, enlighten me: What's so bad about Frank Lepore? Because I still watch his poo poo.

According to the evidence that FL has fought really hard to cover up, he was cheating on MDT with a bunch of other women at tournaments, claiming love at first sight and copy and pasting the same messages to multiple women. After the guy that broke the story posted, several women corroborated.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Well gently caress... so much for all the cash I dropped on Miracles.

I want to take this comment behind the middle school and get it pregnant.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
"The only thing that was keeping UW Flash starring Smuggler's Copter from being the best/only deck in standard was Smuggler's Copter." -dumbass self-proclaimed Professional Magic Player Zach Reiff, explaining why WOTC banned 8 cards from UW Flash.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Quick someone send those fuckers a pizza with ban the reserve list on it

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

Here's the book review I mentioned I was writing: Generation Decks, by Titus Chalk (amazon link)

Don't you only post in here to promote your own writing? Do you get money if we buy the book through that link? You should really disclose that.

I scrubbed your referrer info from the link in my quote. If anyone wants it, click through the link in my quote.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Yep. This isn't surprising given everything he writes is long-form autofellatio.

I like calling him out on it.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo dude, I post stuff here because I've been posting in these threads since the first one and I got a good response from them when I was starting out and people seem to like what I write

And no, there's no amazon referral link in there, I think that's visible if you like look at the URL or something, but I don't make any money off of this

I can tell by the quality of your writing that you don't make any money off of it.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

If you actually want a full breakdown of this I can give that but if you're just gonna make Sick Burns about stuff I wrote two years ago then nah

What about sick burns on stuff you published tonight?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

christ you're catty

I just don't want this thread to devolve into people only posting to self-promote their blogs.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Topdeck Matters cards that provide their own value or let you random-chance dig for value are stupid. It's like Cascade - you shouldn't get a 3/2 haste plus anything else you happen to topdeck. For free. Aetherworks counts among these stupid mechanics because the cost to use it is ridiculously low (you either hit Ulamog or a way to use Marvel more). If Aetherworks had like, any meaningful restrictions on using it (letting you cast literally any spell for six energy when half your deck probably gives you energy) I guess I could see it being okay, but as-is its horribly unbalanced.

Source your quotes

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm the guy running 5 consecutive minutes of advertisements and making it less appealing for viewers trying to watch my event that is basically a 3 day advertisement.

Send them a pizza with that on the box

They listen to those

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Pleasantdirge isn't frank lepore, right?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Sickening posted:

That would answer so any questions about the pm's I have been getting.

my response posted:

You're not frank lepore are you? You have to tell me if you're frank lepore

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Stormgale posted:

This semifinal thread has been kinda painful to watch.

Fixed.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Shadowmoor/Devoted+Druid#paper

Holy poo poo. 8 copies on tcgplayer.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 21, 2017

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Quoting from reddit bolding mine

quote:

I played in a Comp REL tournament at a store today, and the following scenarios took place:

It's game three and my opponent casts Living End with three mana open on his turn. He wipes my board and return lethal to his board and I get back a Mausoleum Wanderer. I also have a Smuggler's Copter, he has no blockers for it, and he is sitting at three life. He has three cards in hand, and one of the cards that ETB is an Architect of Will he looks at the top three cards, looks at his hand, shuffles their position around and after awhile tells me he doesn't know what is his and what isn't. I call a judge. This is where things get lovely - the judge asks me if it would be alright if we roll a dice to decide which of the piles are his hand. I, not knowing what even happens in these scenarios, say yes. My opponent gets one of the piles, casts an Ingot Chewer, destroys my Copter, and I lose the turn after with no way to win.

Was it dumb to agree to the judge's idea? Probably, but he's a judge, he should know what happens. The way the issue was resolved just didn't seem right, and I'd like to know what the correct ruling was in this case.

Goddamn, I'm no judge, but I'm going to say that this should have been functionally "drawing extra cards". Other player probably should have gotten a game loss.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It needs a Ballista, a Chord or a Duskwatch Recruiter to go off right?

Apparently, it also needs a 16 card sideboard

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

mcmagic posted:

If you're trying to get on the PT to make money, you're a complete fool. The accomplishment should mean something.

I thought you should know, but an rear end in a top hat has been posting under your account.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

mcmagic posted:

If you're trying to get on the PT to make money, you're a complete fool. The accomplishment should mean something.

Just to let you know, some rear end in a top hat's been posting stupid poo poo under your username.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

sponszi posted:

burn so nice you tried it twice

Awful app crashed while posting it the first time, and didn't show it when I looked for it, so I tried it again.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

St0rmD posted:

SO is bringing mountain-tapping back. Taking down pretty much every standard boogie-man with a deck that costs less than one card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niGL1mwcjOs

Post a list?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Cryptics too. There's a guy at my store who will show up with the deck once in a while, it's funny to watch but miserable to play against. I haven't seen him run Visions.

Our local job corps comes to play on modern nights, sometimes. I like running my goofiest decks when they're there because they love seeing them play out. Even my opponents thought it was amazing.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

What's his forums account name?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

I forget if I posted this in here or not but:

Is anyone planning on going to champs in Pittsburgh in October?

Yeah, I'd definitely want it lined in felt or something.

It's around 540 but I've been bad about keeping it to an exact number lately. I also have a ton of tokens and a few flip cards, all the original conspiracies just in case anyone ever wants to use them, plus ~45 of each basic. All together probably over 1000. Minus the tokens, it all fits easily into a holiday box and I could probably fit the tokens in if I had a better setup. I keep the more expensive cards in another deck box separate from the rest of the cube to keep them from getting bent or from moving around too much.

This is probably the best idea tbh. I'll have to look for something that would fit a giant pile of cards.

Ultra pro released this: http://www.miniaturemarket.com/upr86187.html?gclid=CL6kwKa6xtQCFddLDQod93kCVQ

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Or just don't print so many masterpieces that you have to put in poo poo cards.

You can say "cards from the current set" instead of "poo poo cards"

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Solemnity seems abuseable somewhere, somehow and I'm not sure where. I guess it doesn't stop cards from etbing with counters but is there anywhere else where that might be useful?

Affinity and infect hate?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

odiv posted:

Has anyone said Ashes to Ashes yet?

Funk to Funky

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
My wife likes Dollar Tree for gift bags and cheap greeting cards to send to people we know but aren't that close to, so she dragged me in there yesterday while we were out.

When we're in there, I check out the books because I like seeing what kind of crap makes it there.

I discovered a hardback Phil and Kaja Foglio novel. At some point, someone is getting a magic card in a sleeve taped inside the book cover.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Archenteron posted:

If it's a Buck Godot comic book I will pay you money for it

It's a girl genius novel.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The undisputed best standard deck ever.

One of only two decks I've run that ever caused someone to yell "gently caress you, I hope you get hit by a bus!" And rage quit.

The other was 4 color hold the gates in isd rtr standard with lingering souls, crackling perimeter, and hold the gates, where I was blocking a worldspine wurm with 1/17 spirits, swinging with 8 1/17 spirits every turn, and zapping her with 8 damage at the end of her turn from the perimeter.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

mcmagic posted:

The Gods in this set are all miserable to play against in limited..

Are you ok? You only typed two dots this time.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

I really love the world some people imagine in which the proliferation of counterfeit cards, especially ones that are more and more difficult to distinguish from the real thing, has zero impact on the how many fakes are in circulation for trade/sales.

Because obviously everyone sees a bright moral line between gaining an advantage with fake cards for play and gaining an advantage with fake cards for trade.

Because obviously no one ever mixes up their fake cards with their real cards because they always stamp counterfeits with a clear indication that they are fake.

And obviously the sources of counterfeit cards are always 100% sold as counterfeit cards for players trying to gain a minor advantage in the game, and these sources would never attempt to defraud some poor players that have no idea what to look for on fake cards.

Like I'm willing to accept that the ridiculously stupid prices of the cards in this game are part and parcel of the market for counterfeit cards. But I also believe that you can't clearly separate the uses of those fakes. I'm pretty comfortable saying that I'd never, ever loving trade with someone that I've seen use a counterfeit card. And I'd probably tell someone they were trading with that the person has used counterfeits in the past.

Nice hot take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I just participated in my third week at this LGS where they have a Commander league. They register me with a dci number, so I imagine it is a sanctioned league.

They use a home brewed points system for achievements during play and then tally the points at the end of six weeks.

On my second week, I was eliminated turn 7 when a player cast Emrakul. Someone else at the table countered it, but he chose to steal my turn, despite the fact I had not done anything of note at that point and was not the threat on the board. The only card he (or I) could cast from my hand was Toxic Deluge.

I even suggested that the game had just started and not to kill me with my own card, but he did it anyway.

The next week he and I are placed in the same pod again, and he starts rubbing in my face how I would have to do a laundry list of things to get back at him for eliminating me with my own turn. Lo and behold, he does it again. Emrakuled and took my turn. He proceeded to do all the cool things the deck is supposed to do, and earns all my achievements. I argued that according to oracle, I am still the active player, and I should be awarded the points. It's bad enough he crippled my board state, but they ruled he gets the points.

I won the game with Mortal Combat, but using a card that "wins the game" earns points for everyone else. As I'm taking any victory I can get, the guy comes up to me and shows me Tormod's Crypt saying he could have used this, but he wanted the game to end. Mind you, points matter more than winning.

This is straight up bullying. He's going out of his way to take any achievement or fun away from me. I talked the organizers about the ruling and the bullying, and they completely took his side.

I grew up getting bullied. I know how it goes. Bullies aren't stupid and they push buttons until you react in a negative way that makes you look bad. The organizer said that he didn't do anything outside of the game to warrant bullying, but that's exactly it. He won't. He has all the power in the game, and he has the organizers on his side.

I drove a half hour to get to this league and I don't feel welcome going back. I tried reporting him to the store, but they won't even recognize that there is a problem.

Is there a formal channel I can go through to report the player and the store?