Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

little munchkin posted:

Has there ever been a sacrifice archetype that actually worked? I remember it being awful in origins and BFZ as well.

B/R sacrifice was actively good in m14. Neither color was deep, but when the deck came together it was very powerful. Molten Birth / Young Pyro mancer could be a powerful combo to create a lot of fodder. Not as good as the best U or U/G decks but in the top 3 archetypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

mcmagic posted:

I've been hearing some stuff about DRS being banned from Legacy. I think it's a good idea.

I don't play Legacy. Care to sum up the arguments for/against a ban?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I don't mind a hyper-aggro 4 turn kill deck existing; a temur battle rage style deck that can get quick kills but folds to removal or lifegain can be part of a healthy meta. Turn 4 kills get obnoxious when they're a 2-card combo package that you can add to an otherwise powerful midrange or control deck.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
So far amonkhet has been a blast to draft. All the color pairs seem draftable and most games I play are 'real games.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Boxman posted:

Formats that have an unusual concentration of rates that absolutely take over games usually end up not fondly remembered.

(Insert comment about Fate Reforged and the white Siege.)

Citadel Siege was a nightmare. Either mode, as a card, would have been nearly unbeatable The choice added the Insult // Injury

Nothing in this format is as bad as Pack Rat, Citadel Siege, Jitte, or Mill Jace. But there's a density of swingy rares & uncommons that is unusual. (I consider the UW embalm aven & red trial to be nearly as hard to beat)

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Siivola posted:

"This sorcery-speed removal is too good."
– The MTG Thread, 2017

I'm talking about in combination with cartouches, obviously. You can put an unbelievable amount of pressure on your opponent.

Glorybringer is a real dumb card and should have been mythic. Even the games I win with it are cheapened by it.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

YggdrasilTM posted:

Green and blue are the two weakest colors.

:agreed:

It's a little strange because they both seemed very strong. Greater Sandwurm and the embalm Aven would be insane commons in most sets .

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Elyv posted:

p1p2 martin juza has the choice of nissa, magma spray, decimator beetle, maelstrom pulse

that's a pack

(apparently the p1p1 was trial of zeal)

I told you guys trial of zeal was nuts and better than most of the rares :c00lbert:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Elyv posted:

The problem with Nest of Scarabs is that it doesn't do anything by itself and it's actually not amazing even if you do make some dudes because you need things to do with the 1/1s.

E: as a rule of thumb for limited I recommend basically taking good cards and making sure you have a decent curve; synergies are secondary, at least when starting out

Nest of Scarabs could be good in a format that was slower than Amonkhet. Amonkhet is very fast and there's no time to screw around.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

mandatory lesbian posted:

why can't we just mock a dummy for being dumb without having to go into doxxing them, the heck

:agreed:

he did something real dumb but a tasteless joke shouldn't ruin your life.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

ThePeavstenator posted:

The difference is that one is in the context of, "lol these children and teenagers had shrapnel shred their young flesh and violently end their lives" and the other is "lol the US sure is getting jingoistic and hypocritically exploiting a tragedy that we sowed the seeds of".

The only difference between this and tribute.avi is that tribute.avi was actually, you know, funny. Tribute is/was in equally poor taste. I'll leave it at that. I've contributed to this derail enough.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
It seems decent to me. The fact he can dome an opponent for 7 is nice, since you can take out opposing planeswalkers with it. If it's good enough in a Marvel/Ulamog world I have no idea, but those won't be in standard forever.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I think the 3 mana wrath is a very interesting design. I don't know how good it is, but I'm all in favor of trying it out. I'd rather have an interesting failure than another dozen smugglers copter style no-brainers.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I like all of these changes.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Star Man posted:

When people clamor for quotes from literature on cards, I always wonder if those same people actually read that stuff in their spare time.

I do, at least.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I like eternalize and think it will play well in limited. A big problem with embalm is that when your dudes come back, they're still very small for the price and can't block well. Paying 5 for a 3/2 vigilance just doesn't stop the beats very well.

4/4s are almost never dead on board. I don't think it's the cleanest design ever but I'm excited to draft eternalize cards.

It reminds me of the cycle of flashbackers from Innistrad that were stronger on the flashback. I always thought those were neat.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 18, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Sickening posted:

Modo is the way it is because you fuckers keep feeding it money despite it being poo poo.

You're not wrong, but I love to draft.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
There are plenty of mechanics that are control mechanics in most limited formats. Exploit and delve, for instance.

That reminds me - M14 is the most hilariously slow format of all time and I'd love to draft it again. It taught me an important life lesson : never pass an Opportunity.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Veyrall posted:

Is no one going to talk about the fact that this is easily the best art in the set?

This is a cute combo with Cryptbreaker, at least.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I think my first ever deck had FTK in it. What a cool card.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

MisterOblivious posted:

A shaggy dog story about my local game shop, how WOTC absolutely thunderfucked them, and a Google Maps conundrum/easter egg:

TL;DR: Some cheeky loving bastard went onto google maps and labeled the old Legion Games location as "Misty Mountain" and marked it "Permanently closed" on google maps.

Contact google. This is something they can (and should!) fix on the back end.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

InterrupterJones posted:

2-1 so far.

Have you ever had the thought to do a sealed deck three colors even though it was a stretch, then after realizing it was stretch slap yourself across the face and switch to two colors before the second round? I have.

All the time. I've done it after the first game a bunch, too.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

little munchkin posted:

imagine how much money and time went into wotc determining that the reason customers weren't having fun playing standard is that they had an unreliable estimate of how many people played aetherworks marvel

principalskinner.png

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Entropic posted:

Why can't someone make a Magic clone that doesn't make my eyes bleed?

Force of Will is so god drat ugly. Like I'm not even anti-anime, I like anime. But Force of Will is the ugliest, laziest, cheapest anime. It's just splashes of a single color with some boobs in it.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

sit on my Facebook posted:

And triple BFZ was good too, adding oath is what made it meh

Same with shadows + eldritch moon. The move to single set draft formats after Ixalan is gonna be a revival for limited play imo

I can't agree with you. Triple BFZ is one of my least favorite draft formats; the color balance was way off, and the devoid-matters grixis theme sucked all the rest of the air out of the format.

Entropic posted:

The only other multi-set draft format I remember really liking was JOU-BNG-THS.

JOU-BNG-THS was great and somehow redeemed BNG.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Carl Killer Miller posted:

What do you mean when you say lantern isn't playing fair magic?
Voyager gave a good explanation, but I already wrote this, so...

A deck is "fair" if it interacts with the battlefield and tries to trade it's cards with the opponent. A card like Goyf or Death's Shadow is considered 'fair' because it attacks and blocks and dies to removal. Simililarly, classic control plays fair, as it tries to neutralize it's opponent's permanents with removal and counterspell. What the opponent is doing is very important to control.
On the other hand, Storm, the classical 'unfair' deck, does not do this - it simply ignores the opponent, digs for it's combo, and tries to win on the spot. Likewise, Lantern doesn't interact with it's opponent's creatures; it simply locks them out of the game, then wins at it's leisure.

The fact that Death's Shadow (the deck) is much better than Storm has nothing to do with 'fairness' or 'unfairness'.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 19, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Look, you don't want to commit too hard to your first pick.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

BJPaskoff posted:

I knew the Cat deck was going to be the weakest, but drat, these Dragon cards are strong as heck. It's like comparing draft rares to constructed rares. I'm already proxying up some of the Cat deck to try it out:

These are so cute :3:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I like Giant Wizard as a creature type.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

EmmyOk posted:

Is Blue/Black an okay mixture for a beginner?

Yeah. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Choose what you find fun and go from there. U/B is a great combo.

The only color combo I wouldn't start with is U/R, and that's just so you have something to look forward to :getin:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

There was a Megrim+Memory Jar deck with a iirc 60% win rate on turn 1, which contributed to the first emergency ban in Magic's history.

This is the most hosed up deck I have ever seen

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Lone Goat posted:

How much of a soggy diaper baby does one have to be to not like a guy because he played a combo deck

This is like the Tzar Bomba of combo decks. It's a matter of scale.

Ed: For context, the following non-lands in the deck are not restricted in vintage:

4x Defense Grid
1x Megrim
4x Mox Diamond
4x Dark Ritual

Has a better deck than this ever existed in tournament-legal magic?

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 12, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

suicidesteve posted:

And there have been good arguments made for restricting Dark Ritual. Even recently as part of a giant set of restrictions that might fix the format.

There were probably some vintage Desire decks that were this good or better for a very short time but yeah, it's pretty much the best deck ever.

Can you elaborate? I never hear about vintage.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I'm pretty stoked to finally get a chance to play 5C Cruel Ultimatum

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Bonus posted:

obligatory triple KTK post

3x KTK may not be quite as good as 3x ISD, but they're in the same breath. What an incredible draft format.

Goblinslide is probably my favorite deck to draft of all time.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Is there a site with the Iconic Masters spoilers where they're sortable by rarity? I want to get a sense of the limited format.

ED: I don't know about you but Seeker of the Way --> Survival Cache sounds like a good way to get insanely far ahead.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 11, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I like that the conquistadors are literal vampires

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Tin Tim posted:

Seeing Makeshift Munitions made remember a rule question I had floating in my head.

So if a card does something when you sac a thing, but the thing you sac also has a sac effect(eldrazi scion for instance), can you double dip on both effects or does on only one of them trigger?

Short answer: you can't double dip if they're both costs.

Longer answer: For both of those cards, sacrificing is a cost, not a trigger. You choose to pay the cost for one of the abilities, then the ability goes on the stack. By the time you get priorirty again and could choose to activate the other ability, the creature is already sacrificed, so there's no point in the game where you could do both.

If, however, you have a card that says when you sacrifice a creature, gain 2 life , that's a triggered ability , and it will go on the stack when you sacrifice a creature, no matter how.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 12, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

evilweasel posted:

Here's a question: say you have Hypersonic Dragon or the like in play (You may cast sorcery spells as though they had flash. (You may cast them any time you could cast an instant.)).

Does that make this ability able to be activated at any time? After all, with hypersonic dragon in play you can cast a sorcery spell at any time.

No. It says 'you may case sorcery spells': this is an ability, not a spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Ah. "when you could cast a sorcery" is rules shorthand for 'during your own main phase, when you have priority and there is nothing on the st

It has nothing to do with the fact that, incidentally, you can cast sorceries at other times, which isn't confusing, I swear.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 12, 2017