Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

born on a buy you posted:

Which card was more powerful for their entire tenure in standard: jtms or Gideon?

It's Jace and it's not close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Super sweet

Now that you've held one in your hand, how do you feel about Invocations? Are they cooler in person?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

mcmagic posted:

Manglehorn and the Curse both shut down the Cat Combo and Mardu is just a goodstuff deck...

The curse might end up being good but Manglehorn seems pretty trivial for a Saheeli deck to get off the board

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Frankly I'm not even convinced that Manglehorn is a good card against Vehicles either. It's good if you shoot down Heart of Kiran but then you have once again spent three mana to answer their two mana threat which is the whole reason it's so hard to beat Vehicles in the first place; it's virtually impossible to be more efficient than them. If it were like a 1/4 or something I'd be more interested but as is it can't beat any of their guys in combat, it's worthless in combat after they have a Gideon emblem, it's likely to trade down in mana. Bleh

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Vehicles is only just barely an artifact deck though, isn't it? Don't most lists have like 7-9 artifacts? 4 being Scrapheap Scrounger, which is not really meaningfully answered by the 'horn

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Yah that's true. I forgot about Ballista being a thing in it now too.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Speaking of Hazoret, her upward climb is continuing, up to $10 now on TCGP. To me it seems warranted. The card is pretty nuts, and it is an insane topdeck on almost any board state.

Here's a list I've been working on

The Pervert
4 Flameblade Adept
4 Noose Constrictor
2 Ravenous Bloodseeker
4 Tireless Tracker
2 Stromkirk Occultist
3 Hazoret, the PervertFervent
4 Honored Hydra
1 Heart-Piercer Manticore

3 Lightning Axe
4 Fiery Temper
1 Insult//Injury
2 Nahiri's Wrath
3 Shock

4 Game Trail
4 Cinder Glade
4 Sheltered Thicket
5 Mountain
5 Forest
1 Drownyard Temple

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Oooh, yeah Bloodrage Brawler is definitely an oversight there. I will defend the Adept though, that guy has really overperformed and gives the deck it's strongest-feeling starts. I actually had Bomat Courier in there originally but it just didn't seem good, it gets in for maaaybe a damage before out just turns in to a "dump your hand" outlet. I had the list way more tuned for going hellbent originally but unfortunately that's just not a good way to win games in current standard. You need a way to get back in the game if you're out of cards and they answer your threats, hence Tireless Tracker. In addition to just being generically powerful, it lets you sock away some cards for later without ruining the hand size game. Occultist is definitely too cute. I also agree that the Cycling lands don't line up as well as it seems like they should.

I think I'm gonna try -1 Manticore, -2 Occultist, -1 Tireless Tracker for 4 Bloodrage Brawler and see how that feels. -3 Shock and +1 Lightning Axe, +2 Rhonas seems great.

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 25, 2017

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Yeah I mean it's all academic because standard isn't even firing regularly at my LGS anymore

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Yeah if anything they've given 4c Saheeli the tools to push Vehicles out of the format too. My sneaking suspicion is that we're in for another Caw Blade

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Nah, wait for 4cSaheeli to be packing Magma Spray and Manglehorn and we'll see how well Mardu chugs

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

you're alright

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

80s James Hetfield posted:

mcmagic was........right?!

Yes but I STRONGLY recommend not going into the Trump thread to see for yourself

The novelty is not worth it

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Rinkles posted:

Yes. This is what the board eventually looked like

"You are gonna take a lot of damage if your ever run out of fogs"

:laffo:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
loving finally

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Sickening posted:

The best part is the saheli had dropped so much that mtg finance folks were picking her back up again to make a buck. All that lost money in specing for so many.

Good.

I revel in their tears

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Uhhhh I think you'll find that this was an ADDENDUM and not an emergency ban ok guys

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
They've really only stumbled lately with BFZ and the printing of Guardian and Emrakul imo

The sets as a whole are quite good

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

mcmagic posted:

Hazorat the Pervent in Mardu is hot fire.

Hazoret has my vote for best AKH card that people are still sleeping on. Its been good everywhere I've tested it. It's an insanely gamebreaking topdeck

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Yeah Saffron Olive is great and you guys are a bunch of Johnny Rainclouds

The problem that this thread has with him is that he audibly has fun while playing Magic, which is heretical

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Sickening posted:

Lets compare his articles and videos against everything starcity has made in the past 2 years. If that wasn't enough to make you laugh then realize how much of starcity's was behind a paywall.

I'm not sure which way you're going with your value judgment here

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Procrastinator posted:

:justpost:

If you want to show how cool and good you are, share your actual opinion instead of tearing down something else.

You must be new to this thread

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
So here's today's "can this work in standard"

It's Ya Boy Drake
4 Drake Haven

4 Cast Out
4 Censor
4 Curator of Mysteries
3 Hieroglyphic Illumination
2 Archfiend of Ifnir

2 Torrential Gearhulk
1 Kefnet
2 Disallow
1 Essence Scatter
3 Fatal Push
2 Grasp of Darkness
1 Blessed Alliance

1 Hedron Archive
26 Lands w/all 8 cyclers

Everything between Kefnet and Archive is flexible depending on what actually ends up being good in this crazy upside down post cat world, but I like this as a start

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

What decks are running Hazoret? Mardu?

Also it's weird to think of Fling as being a constructed worthy card.

It hasn't been found yet but there is something very playable with Hazoret/Noose Constrictor/Fiery Temper/Honored Hydra

I'll be shocked if that core isn't good enough for standard

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Scherer on little-known Liliana the Last Hopeel, some spicy tech

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

80s James Hetfield posted:

Hot take one day and 1 hour after watching the SCG Open

New standard is going to stale as real quick with Vehicles, GB, U/X/X Gearhulk control

Eh, SCGTour week one is rarely very indicative of what the the format is going to look like.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this is a Good Standard

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Relentless Dead is a trap imo

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
I'm not entirely sure that Mardu is objectively the best deck as much as it was piloted waaay better than the decks it's played against (on camera at least) were piloted against it.

Edit: also as Cedric just said, Mardu is a very complete 75 card deck, and none of the opposing decks have felt that way

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 30, 2017

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

YggdrasilTM posted:

Mardu is the Abzan of current standard.

Meh. It's pretty clearly the best deck in that room today, specifically, but there were at least 4 instances I saw where the opponent just punted away a win against them. It doesn't seem unbeatable, just the right call for a 48 hour old format.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Lone Goat posted:

Exactly this. Watch the deck tech with UR Emerge and when the guy gets asked why he didn't play Fiery Temper he makes a protracted fart sound for like a minute straight.

Lmaoooo that really does sum up the whole weekend. He literally went "I don't play it, not cuz it's not good, uh... and...... not cuz I don't like it in this meta, but... uh..... I mean.... it's a good card and it probably should... I don't know"

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I tested out Bloodseeker but I think Bloodrage is better, especially against some of the beefier aggro decks popping up recently. And rarely do I have to pitch anything that I regret later. Posted my list below, although the sideboard is just what I threw together offhand and definitely needs some work. I'm on the fence about the Flameblade Adept; the menace and p/t are useful early but they're really dead late game except to pitch.

// 60 Maindeck
// 1 Artifact
1 Key to the City

// 23 Creature
4 Noose Constrictor
3 Hazoret the Fervent
4 Honored Hydra
4 Insolent Neonate
4 Bloodrage Brawler
4 Flameblade Adept

// 14 Spells
4 Fiery Temper
4 Lightning Axe
4 Tormenting Voice
2 Insult

// 22 Land
8 Mountain
6 Forest
4 Game Trail
4 Cinder Glade

// 15 Sideboard
// 3 Creature
SB: 3 Manglehorn
SB: 3 Heaven
SB: 4 Magma Spray
SB: 3 Kari Zev's Expertise
SB: 2 By Force

This is super similar to the list I've been testing. My deck is -4 Tormenting Voice -1 Key for 3 Rhonas, a Geier Reach Sanitarium and another Mountain. And I have a set of Tireless Tracker in the board for control matches.

Adding Rhonas made it feel approx 100 times better. Even if your opponent answers every other thing you play, curving Rhonas->Hazoret is just disgusting if you've executed any amount of your discard plan. You also have to mulligan aggressively and be careful where you pitch your hand, but I've been beating up all my play group's decks with it. Admittedly not tested against Mardu yet.

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 1, 2017

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Count Bleck posted:

I'm sure Dracula Baron Sengir had a hand in this.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
It amuses me that the only 2 cards that see play from Battle for Zendikar that see play are ones that most people hate playing against.

The should've just rotated it.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Gideon and Ulamog is what I meant

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Star Man posted:

Someone enlighten me: was Troll Ascetic a mother fucker of a card to be up against when it was in Standard?

Troll Ascetic, meh, but Geist of St Traft and Invisible Stalker were two of the most miserable cards I've ever played against in standard, and those were the days when we had 4-mana wraths and my Phantasmal Image could kill your Geist

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
These bumper videos are dumb af but I gotta say the Professor seems like a cool rear end dude

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
And the dream dies with an incredibly greedy Perspective

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
/\/\/\/\ extremely this

I feel like this metagame is ripe to be stomped on by a Counters and Sweepers control deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Hellsau posted:

Whole lotta Marvel misses today, Christ.

Maybe people won't cry about banning it now