Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sampatrick posted:

I will build an EDH deck when they unban Recurring Nightmare. I'm still mad that somehow that card is banned. Like, c'mon, you can cast Reanimate in a format with 40 life but you can't cast Recurring Nightmare? It makes me so mad.

There are losts of dumb things (mainly in blue) that are not banned just because Sheldon and co. like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sailor Viy posted:

Do Commander precons ever add new cards to Pauper?

The basic landcycling card is from the last commander set and that shows up in pauper some.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

Modern is a bunch of people playing soggy cookie, standard is boring, midrange garbage, pauper is nothing but aggro, and commander is a bunch of people whining when you build a deck that actually tries to win.

Magic is bad, don't play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtVDDk7jodc

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

My promo was the black god. I lost my first two rounds (match 1 was close, match 2 my opponent got the Pervert out both times turn 4 with no way for me to kill it, basically.) I switch over to UR because my black was the weaker color. Won my next two matches with 2 Reduce to Rubble and the non-Spellheart Chimera. Red seems really good in this set.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mcmagic posted:

People think those packs have higher likelihood of invocations. IDK if that is true or not...

Bought a set last week at like 4ish. A few pros, BBD being one of them, said it was the best card in the set. Who knows.

It is an incredible beating in limited. Slots in perfectly for the RB aggro deck around in standard now.

And I don't know what you did to get this av but keep it

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Shovelmint posted:

You're thinking Bounty of the Luxa not Luxa River Shrine. Bounty is nuts. Shrine is nots.

River Shrine kept me alive post sideboard against a RB aggro deck. I lost by decking myself

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

1) That's not everyone who plays those formats

2) It's true

Standard is actually the cheapest it has been since as long as I have been playing (Innistrad.) I'm actually really enjoying standard right now around me because no one is playing Mardu or Gideon. The entire "value" of standard is tied up in 3 cards: Gideon, Balistia, Liliana.

It is also funny that the only format that was able to fix itself somewhat without banning was Modern.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mcmagic posted:

Thank you OFS. You are a true gentleman.

You are one of the good ones tm in D&D anyway

In other news, I'm building up G/R Energy in Standard to fling 20/20s all day and they're nothing they can do about it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hellsau posted:

I don't understand how not banning things somehow gets more people to be confident in buying into Standard. I bought into Marvel deck for a few local tournaments, and it was pretty okay but the lottery aspect was real stupid. Then they basically banned it out of the format. Yeah Emrakul was pretty unfun and dumb and ubiquitous, so I'm fine with that banning, if hey're going to ban other cards in standard that are dumb and unfun and ubiquitous. The only deck I would be willing to play in Standard is Cat Combo. The combo is are much of the metagame as Emrakul decks were in the previous season, with significantly less variety among the decks, and a dumb turn 4 combo that just strangles a large number of potential archetypes is pretty much the same effect Emrakul had where you couldn't have a long game that was better than casting Emrakul, but in addition the combo also stops stuff like the Colossus or Aetherflux Reservoir or ramp decks from existing. The combo has all the same effects that Emrakul had on the format, yet WotC is just...leaving it around? If I bought into that deck and it got banned, I'd feel like a real idiot because obviously it was going to get banned, but if it doesn't get banned then it stopped me from buying into the format while also enabling the least interesting Pro Tour.

Also Copter shouldn't be banned. Banning Copter because it just went into every deck with creatures was stupid, because it didn't force those decks to diversify, they just stopped existing.

I think this is funny because most of the Copycat decks are also playing Marvel. You have one with Ulamog and one without.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Alris posted:

In fairness, it is an incredibly Mardu list.

It is Mardu Tokens.

edit: loving lolol

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 27, 2017

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

cheetah7071 posted:

Was wizards ever good at making sets or was the perceived goodness just a combination of the pre-internet world and dumb luck?

They really felt they could do no wrong (in terms of growing the base) from 09-14. Every change they have made has been made under the caveat of "game is still growing, attendance is up, this is working!" But what comes up must come down. Through a combination of changes, like removing alot of instant speed answers, overpowering marquee planeswalkers/story cards, and changing things that used to be staples of the game and saying they were "too powerful," have all come to bite them on the rear end.

Take for example the axing of Birds of Paradise as a one-drop. When you used to have 2-3 mana accelerator one-drops in standard, now we have none. Why? The reason stated is they were too powerful. They were not too powerful, the 2-3-4-5 drops are. Hitting your land drops and stop-this-or-die fatties on curve (or in case of Marvel, a broken curve) has never been more important for standard since I began playing. They have continued to remove the only ways a slower deck can come back from doing nothing on their turn. Turn 1-2 has never been more important to the game. You screw up one turn, you're losing. All in the cause of removing complexity, or feelbads, or whatever, from the game.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Entropic posted:

I'm trying to figure out what they thought Amonkhet brought to the table that would stop the deck from being a problem so they wouldn't have to ban it.

...Censor?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

oh god you ripped a pat sullivan mountain

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sampatrick posted:

Survival is a totally acceptable card and shouldn't be banned. I understand why it is, but it's really fine. I'm excited that I get to play with Nightmare and Birthing Pod, at the very least.

Why is Back to Basics banned while Blood Moon is fine?

One is mana denial, one is color denial?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Marketing New Brain posted:

I'm so torn because it's a huge boon not having it at mythic, but it is a complete blowout at 5 mana that gives you immediate value and then runs away with the game if they can't answer it.

I'm currently 1-0 with this, winning the Drake Haven mirror. This is the sweetest deck I've drafted in a long time.

I first picked Drake Haven, and got passed Sandwurm Convergence P3P1 after picking Cast Out P1P2.

I just beat two Drake Haven decks playing in a league. I don't think enough people know how to make the deck.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Read the Bones should be evergreen IMO

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Subways Jared posted:

Can anyone tell me what set the opponents foil swamps are from in this first game? The foil swamps with the Japanese text on the gravestones. What set were those swamps from?

https://youtu.be/2LGv96HG8IA?t=31

http://magiccards.info/apac/en/10.html

APAC lands. Not in foil in paper, very expensive.

drat beaten alot

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 5, 2017

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Nothing draws a crowd around me like playing Modern Time Warps. I went 2-1 but got to beat an Abzan Company after they gained infinite life with an awakened inkmoth nexus. Everyone has fun except my opponents.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

A basic literacy test should be mandatory before every round of magic played IMO

I would be making a poll tax joke but it is probably in poor taste

what I'm saying here is wizards is racist

also any americans complaining about not getting enough events come to wonderful APAC where you need to travel several oceans to play in major events

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Putting things back into the graveyard is like exactly what they wanted. You were probably helping.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Count Bleck posted:

Play Merfolk.

The combo is that you assemble multiple lords and run your opponent over in your fishmobile. I'll even give you some sick tech.

Unified Will.

I don't know who first started playing that in Merfolk SBs but it is probably the best thing out of the board for it (outside of Hurkyl's Recall which you need for that matchup.)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

My question is whether or not a functional reprint of Staying Power would fly in actual Magic, even if it was a version that only stuck around for a certain number of turns. Seems like it could cause a lot of memory headaches though.

E: Something like

Freeze Frame
XWU
Enchantment
~ enters the battlefield with X time counters.
During your upkeep, remove a time counter from ~ or sacrifice ~.
"This turn" and "until end of turn" effects don't end.

Making it only stick around for X turns means I can't go Wrath -> Silence -> ~ to lock the opponent out of the game. Although, for three cards and 7+ mana you probably should get close to winning.

I'm pretty sure this type of effect can only work in an unset.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

How many Gearhulks have been on camera today?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Anyone complaining about standard prices now is wrong. Everything that costs money is playable in other formats. This is nothing compared to BFZ monstrosity standard, where standard decks cost as much ad modern decks. 200-300 is the top right now, and several of those could be made for cheaper. 150-250 standard is probably where is probably where it should go, and before the next set it will be there.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Modern Jund seems like a better place for Harzoret. They are usually playing helbent anyway after a Lili. It is a different style of 4-drop for Jund though. The other ones Jund would play (Kalitas, Olivia, Huntmaster) are much more about stabilizing while this one is aggro.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Angry Grimace posted:

Yes there is. Lost Legacy would cause you to draw a card and if you assume it's 100% dead in his hand (having looked at his hand and knowing what is in it), perhaps you'd rather not give him anything.

Even if Fabiano only had 4-5 lands I don't see a time where you would leave it in the hand.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Dehtraen posted:

Lost Legacy naming Chandra, Flamecaller
Lost Legacy naming Ulamog the Ceaseless Hunger

Whatcha gonna do now Martin?

still win?

marvel is lame.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Definitely secret mirror tech that could be used.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

It sounds like they're like the FFL but for design instead of development. i.e. They would look at cards and say mechanics and say "hey maybe printing these extremely powerful, colorless artifacts that attack and are immune to sorcery speed removal is bad and we should do something else." or "let's not print another cost reducing mechanic because we've had about 200 broken cards with a cost reduction mechanic and exactly 4 that aren't broken."

It seems like they made a group whose goal is to actually make the "best deck" in the format every time instead of the FFL who spend alot of time playing with niche cards to see if people could make a deck out of them.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MUST THINK OF PYRAMID GRAIN JOKE SOON POST PLACEHOLDER

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Went 2-3 at game day playing UR control. I need to get more Sweltering Suns and maybe Pull from Tomorrow.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Anticipate is a good card, and even better on a 5/4 flyer.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

AlternateNu posted:

The winning deck was Affinity running Glint-Nest Crane and Dispatch. And Top 8 had a Thing in the Ice Turns deck. :psyduck:

As a turns player, Thing is a great SB plan because everyone takes out their removal post-SB against it. Main deck I don't think it would work because it dies to too many things.

Crane I kind of get as well. A flying Impulse that carries a Plating really well.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mezzanon posted:

Also I got loving destroyed by martyr proc at a 3k over the weekend. loving ruined. How do you interact with the deck if they have a martyr and a mana open?

I beat Proc with Bogles once because I just got bigger than the life they were gaining every turn.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Count Bleck posted:

The name with that art? Maybe.

A 4 mana wrath? Hell no.

I could imagine 5BB.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Is the Battle of Wits deck any good in throwback standard, or am I just going to get poo poo on all day?

Edit: Voiding a Wax/Wane and Seal of Cleansing from my opp. hand was cool

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 1, 2017

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hellsau posted:

The Wits deck is reasonably consistent and it just wins some matchups. Slide in particular can't beat Battle of Wits.

I lost 0-2 to slide. Burning Wish is a powerful card. I actually had the Wits with Counterspell backup but they had already Wished for the first enchantment wrath. I counter that, but they Wish for the other. I don't know why the Wits deck doesn't have a Wrath in it besides Void.

Gauntlet was fun, I had never played these decks before since I started playing 10 years after this. Things like this and draft flashbacks are what makes MTGO fun.

I think Standard is pretty good right now, but I still see people are complaining about "THEY TALKED ABOUT TEMUR TOWER ONCE IN A BAN UPDATE THEY ARE PUSHING THAT poo poo TO THE MOON IT loving SUCKS" narrative. Tower was a cool deck.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Standard is 5 dollars, pack-a-win. Draft is 12 dollars, pack-a-win. I'm fine with it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

yea loving OPPOSITION GOD DAMMIT

How many times do I need to play that fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Go control go

god this match is great