Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

80s James Hetfield posted:

please don't sully this thread with edh talk already
EDH is life. I run Augustin as my commander because I enjoy having my face kicked in both in and out of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Okay, enlighten me: What's so bad about Frank Lepore? Because I still watch his poo poo.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

The Sexual Shiite posted:

According to the evidence that FL has fought really hard to cover up, he was cheating on MDT with a bunch of other women at tournaments, claiming love at first sight and copy and pasting the same messages to multiple women. After the guy that broke the story posted, several women corroborated.
Well, that's really not my business...

Angry Grimace posted:

He is a magic player
Well, we all have our faults...

80s James Hetfield posted:

frank lepore is a herb rear end bitch
I don't know what this means but you've finally convinced me!

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Retromancer posted:

So during some early testing, I'm thinking As Foretold may be a really good card in UW Control if it continues to gain traction. being able to leave up tons of mana, or being able to tap out while still having counters live during your opponent's turn is super valuable. It can even let you Ancestral Vision immediately for free the same turn it comes out.
AKA, literally everything people said it could do, but then other people said that wasn't good enough because

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Jabor posted:

You spent a card and three mana to do nothing, that's absolutely not a "weight on your opponent's gameplan" until at least two turns later where you can, if you spent literally all your mana on every turn in between, start actually recouping that investment.
You're being overly dismissive of a powerful effect. But hey, I'm gonna put my money where my mouth is and buy up a UW control shell and run it. If I can find a decent, fairly competitive place to play, I'll even post updates on how it goes.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

mossyfisk posted:

The Invocation typeline only barely fits "Legendary Creature - God"
That sounds like the fault of the designer, not the type line.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

uninverted posted:

My possibly bad opinion is that collected company would have been totally fine in standard if not for reflector mage and spell queller.
It's an entirely fair card in a standard lacking such swingy ETB triggers.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Count Bleck posted:

For all we know that's the Demon Liliana came to murder.
It's the demon from Archfiend of Ifnir, so I don't think it's supposed to be famed mega-demon and guardian of the afterlife, Razaketh.

Though it would be hilarious if it is.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
There's a new magic story out from a day or so ago.

Basic rundown:

Nissa is wandering though Amonkhet checking how nice everything is as long as you don't check out how awfully hosed up the leylines and energy of the plane is. She wanders into Kefnet's temple and stumbles into the Trial! Of! Knowledge! trying to find answers about how Bolas hosed things up. Spoiler alert: It nearly loving kills her. It's filled with endless nightmare illusions, which she defeats by closing her eyes and telling them to gently caress off under her breath.

She finds herself in another room of illusions that tell the truth now, and she sees an allegory for how Bolas jacked up the plane and killed three gods leaving "just three dark rents in the fabric of the sky. Three dark holes, possessed of an energy and fury all their own, pulsing to a rhythm malevolent." So, maybe expect to see some evil corpse gods in Hour of Devastation. She also sees that Nicol Bolas' travels have left a literal trail of darkness behind him through the planes. Maybe. It's all in allegory, so who loving knows.

Anyway, she gets trapped in a revelation loop and an angel that "reminds her of Emrakul" (wink wink) tells her to stop being a pawn or a queen, and instead be a player. Then Kefnet jumps in out of nowhere, pissed that someone is interfering with his Trail. He gets good and ready to kill Nissa, until she uses leyline magic to open up Amonkhet's debug menu and sets Kefnet's murdervalue to false. Then he fucks off, saying she passed the trial, and she fucks off feeling pretty jazzed that she's not a complete punk anymore.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

HMS Beagle posted:

If one of the missing gods isn't this big tittied hippo I'm done with Magic.

Please leave your fetishes out of this.

I'm thinking, mechanically, exactly what the missing gods may have been. I'm thinking, a 5 color one, one that can change its color identity, and a colorless one, but I don't think they can even do a colorless one since colorless cards have certain predefined spaces and limitations and flavor...

Or hey, maybe I'm overthinking the cycle and it's just not even gonna be a thing outside of the lore.

mandatory lesbian posted:

ugg 2 whole sentences about the magic story, kill me
Give in to your inner sperg. Let the nerdiness flow through you!

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Yeah, that's Magic Duels

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Sickening posted:

I suspect red cross is going to make a killing.
Can I donate more blood for more packs? Can I donate all of my blood for more packs?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Okay, so, another chapter of the Amonkhet story was posted. Let me break it down for you.

Gideon Jura is following Famed Feline Divinity Oketra to somewhere she wants him to go. After a bit of travel, he and we are introduced to the Tah crop, a gaggle of attractive young adults who have managed to get through three whole trials without losing anyone. Oketra tells Gideon he's here to join the crop, and total dudebro Djeru greets him and they wrestle. We meet other members of the Tah crop, and find out that Gideon is the replacement for their old member, SAMUT, who got expelled exiled for being a filthy communist dissenter. She and Djeru kinda had a thing. It's awkward for, like, a minute.

They are eventually greeted by Bontu the EDH Fodder, who tells them that nobody is ever born strong. Gideon's all like "Not even the gods?" and Bontu is like, "How Brazen", but she likes that and is totally not mad. The rest of the crop is stunned that Gideon is socially inept bold enough to question a god like that, and they're all totally down with him now. They all then enter the Trial! Of! Ambition!. It goes very well. It goes awful.

This amazing team of young people who have never lost a single person to a trial instantly loses someone in the first room to a slowly filling pit of acidic sewage. Gideon's like "Why are we doing this again?", to which Djeru's like "BECAUSE!" Then they run into an Ammit, and here's where I gotta go off on a tangent. Gideon of the Trials becomes an indestructible 4/4. The ammit he faces, though, is pretty obviously meant to be a Baleful Ammit, which the observant among you might notice, is a 4/3 that is not indestructible. Gideon should, by all rights, be able to dickpunch this thing into next week, then dickpunch one third of it's identical twin brother. Spoiler alert: He can't beat it at all, and it can somehow jump several stories to eat an aven warrior that tries to save him. I'm calling bullshit on this Ammit right here and now and I cannot not be annoyed at it because I'm that pedantic.

Anyway, they retreat from the Ammit room, and basically retreat through a bunch of rooms that force them to leave people behind to be eaten by the Ammit (which Gideon should have killed already). They dwindle down from twenty to nine, just in time to finally reach Bontu's chamber. She says that the very last trial they need to pass is to pay her toll. In a pretty cool nod to Egyptian myth, she demands a heart that she will weigh in a scale. Gideon's really, really not cool with this, while the rest of the team just jumps right onto murdering each other like a bunch of shrieking pinatas filled with blood and meth-candy. Djeru takes this opportunity to very apologetically drown his brother in cobra-infested water and then carve out his heart.

Gideon has had enough of this half-baked Battle Royale poo poo and gets up in Bontu's face. She says "Why you judging man? You need to understand this because you screwed up that one time and now, because of that, you are morally required to be okay with forced teenage murder-suicide." Then she mind-controls him and forces him to leave, because that's totally something Black can do as a color.

Then Gideon's like, "God-Pharaoh? May He return quickly and may I be found worthy...

TO MURDER HIM TO DEATH"

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
On second thought, what really loving kills me is that none of the Gatewatch have figured out that this is supposed to be a planeswalker factory. I would think that Jace at least would have loving connected the dots by now.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

YggdrasilTM posted:

That haste Ammit can easily kill a Gideon pw
Ammit does not have haste, argument annihilated

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Necronomicon posted:

Aww I w/o
In addition 99kllllllp)l0
Are you having a stroke right now? Do you need emergency services? I'll call em.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
I'm wondering if it doesn't just fold to Lost Legacy though. A lot of these Approach decks seem super-vulnerable to disruption.

I didn't watch all the games because holy god combo decks are boring as poo poo to watch, but apparently he won through Lost Legacies?

Edit 2: Just saw it. He luck-sacked into a sphinx of the final word, which is a thing that happens. I guess we know what the next card banned it gonna be.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 11, 2017

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
It's awkward when they people hating on a slightly cringe-inducing story are themselves more cringe-inducing.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
So, some guy posted an actually pretty good takedown of Amonkhet's graphic design, and how the design has been kinda lacking in general as the years go by.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

mandatory lesbian posted:

I don't know who that is but lol LSV is right going by my 5 seconds of looking at his twitter
And NOW I learn there was an actual bombing at a concert, WOW that leavitt guy is a sack of poo poo.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Sickening posted:

Dude's career is getting gangbanged and he is just meme'ing away. I can almost respect that.
I think he's in shock.

It kinda reminds me of this story of a CEO killing an entire jewelry retailer with a bad joke.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Okay, what are you guys talking about?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
I could see 5 color dragons as a theme, but those all seem...just so bizarre and awful? Just...awful. Each of them.

Just, like what? Cat dragon? Why? Why is Okagachi not indestructible? And the Ur-Dragon looks like a card an over-enthusiastic 9-year old would design.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Okay, so apparently Nekoru is an actual figure in old magic lore, but even so...

God I hope these are fake.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Pontius Pilate posted:

These seem fine for edh dragon decks and the first one is a completely reasonable card? What am I missing? idk don't play edh tho
The first one is weird because Wizards is all about "resonance" and branding and since there's no pre-existing anything for cat dragons, it'd be weird as poo poo for them to bring it back now. Not impossible, but just bizarre. O-Kagachi breaks the traditional Kamigawa god-spirit mold by not having divinity counters or indestructible, on top of having an extremely weak effect and low stats for the cost. Again, not impossible, but super-weird. And finally, the Ur-Dragon is just a complete pile of abilities, including a keyworded version of Oloro's ability to affect things from the command zone, which makes sense, coupled with an absolutely bonkers card-advantage and battlefield advantage ability that might as well read "you win the game" because there's effectively no way for the opponent/s to make any kind of comeback from that. Again, not impossible, completely, but now we're three for three for cards that just don't seem right.

Now, don't get me wrong. If you'd shown me the partner commanders as a leak, I'd have thought those were fake as poo poo too, because of how utterly weak they were. I could very well be wrong here and those could all be real cards and spoilers. It's just not likely.

Edit: Also, I would submit "Wasitora, Nekoru Queen" as a candidate for worst loving name for a card in existance. It is 2/3rds made-up nonsense fantasy language and the whole card reads like bad fanfiction.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 25, 2017

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

cheetah7071 posted:

To my recollection the #1 indicator a leak is real is that the art is new. I'm not sure I've ever seen a fake that had plausible original art on it
I ran cropped versions of the spoilers through GIS and saucenao, and got no hits. But GIS has become absolute trash lately and saucenao only looks at a limited selection of image boards, so if anyone has any other ideas I'm all ears.

Edit: Also, the cat token has an artist credit to Cynthia Sheppard, but the token itself doesn't really look like her style. But then, she's also never done anything "cutesy" before either, and the pic is blurry. I just really, really hope these are fake, at least with different rules text.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 25, 2017

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Pontius Pilate posted:

Still not comprehending why these seem implausible considering we've had a couple weird commander sets recently and Wizards.
Probably because they're complete hot dogshit and I don't want them to be real.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
So, Saffron actually has a semi-decent deck for this weeks Against the Odds.

I might snipe a Petroglyphs or two for myself, just to hedge against a decent token deck emerging from nowhere that uses the card.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Angry Grimace posted:

Except how is Petroglyphs better than just playing Intangible Virtue
It looks like the +2/+2, combined with how you get more vanilla 1/1s for the mana than you do the fliers for similar mana costs, just makes for much stronger swings.

Comparing Lingering Souls to Promise of Bunrei, Lingering souls takes 5 mana over multiple mana payments for 4 1/1 fliers, while Promise takes 3 mana for 4 vanilla 1/1s. Then factor in that getting +2/+2 with Intangible requires 2 separate Virtues, while Petroglyphs is the same boost in one card, and 2 Petroglyphs is +4/+4, and it seems like it allows for a significantly stronger set of plays.

Now, Intangible Virtue plus Lingering souls gets down earlier and requires 1 fewer lands to use, and if you get the turns is just a more compact set of cards, so I don't think Petroglyphs is strictly superior, and may just be worse if an opponent suspects it, but it can be an unexpected haymaker that seems like it served Saffron pretty well.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Angry Grimace posted:

Tokens doesn't feel like an interesting choice to go for a Petroglyphs deck when Virtue is just a better card for the strategy. He should have made it a Goyf deck with Collected Company or something.
Goyf doesn't work with Petroglyphs. In fact, basically nothing except tokens work with Petroglyphs. I also don't place that much value on vigilance as an ability. That said, you're not wrong.

It's a shame that Goblinslide's tokens have Haste, because otherwise there's a rather spicy Goblinslide/petroglyphs deck to be made. Sadly, it was not to be.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Angry Grimace posted:

So the card is even dumber than I recalled.
That all said, did you fully watch the video? Seeing it in action probably explains things far better than just text does.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

ThePeavstenator posted:

Sure, if you consider papers by John von Neumann or John Nash to be a new thing.
Back in my day, we did metagame analysis with an abacus and we were thankful!

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Because yeti aren't ogrewelming enough.
You...you I like

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Huh, so that Hour of Devastation trailer makes it look like bugs are gonna be the big evil tribe serving Bolas. That's kinda cool, what with locusts being an actual scourge for Egypt in...some old book that no one's ever heard of.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

mcmagic posted:

I'm not advocating for jail time for the leakier but it's not out of the realm of possibility.
I'm advocating death by arena combat.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
So...about Ixalan....

What, exactly is the flavor justification for mono-white vampires? I mean, I got the idea with the ones in Zendikar being all orderly because they're in an army now, but....

Also, it pains me to see Wizards make cards that wouldn't even pass the muster of our own design contests.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Imagine one of us submitted Bishop of Rebirth in, say, a color-shifted tribal contest. It's a mono-white vampire that sun titans back a cmc3 or less creature from the GY. Being mono-white doesn't fit the flavor for vamps, the sun titan ability has literally gently caress-all to do with anything vampires have ever done ever, and it has vigilance instead of lifelink OR flying. Nothing outside of the type line makes it feel vampiric in the slightest. Now, I get that this is the nu-Sliver problem all over again, and it probably won't be any problem to 99% of players, but it annoys me.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

mcmagic posted:

Scorpion God is just EDH fodder right?
Nope, staple in every format, 4-of in every deck. Even decks that don't have it's colors.

It's a 5-of in Miracles.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
It's a little disappointing that the Scarab god doesn't interact with the Locust and the Scorpion like they do with each other.

Well, it kinda works with them. Not super-amazing, but the Scorpion can kill things while the Scarab brings them back, and the Locust can loot into what the Scarab scries (scrys?) into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Have we seen any of the Eternalize tokens yet? The eternals spoiled thus far look really cool.