Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

The easy way to remember this is:
If it DEFINES the power/toughness (~'s p/t is equal to that) it works in all zones.
If it MODIFIES the power/toughness (~ gets +X/+X for each thing) it only works on the battlefield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

https://twitter.com/jasonnitcholas/status/855450408428466177

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mfcrocker posted:

Well, I was thinking of getting out of constructed Magic and having my Legacy deck banned confirms it.

How has it taken you this long? Limited - cube in particular - is the only format worth playing. Constructed is meh.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Posting poo poo that some hack slapped her name on is bad and you should feel bad.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I've already solved the new standard meta game, ask me anything.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Jokes on all of you the real answer is I solved standard by playing cube.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Cat is poo poo.

E: And it also doesn't play well with Twin.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

ThePeavstenator posted:

that's another funny part

It's your game WotC stop pretending there are rules that surround what you're allowed to ban, print, etc. You can do literally whatever you want with your own property and the only thing stopping you is yourself.

Ahem, I think you'll find the Reserved List and the Banned List are iron clad contracts dictated by the finest of legalese and enforced by the most ruthless of rules lawyers.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

AlternateNu posted:

Would a Divination variant like this be too powerful?

UUU
Instant
Draw two cards.

We've seen several cards with templates like:

2U
Instant
Draw two cards, [drawback].

Where the drawback is usually discard a card. We've also seen plenty of

3U
Instant Draw two cards. [upside]

I imagine

1UU
Instant
Draw two cards.

would be fine.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

born on a buy you posted:

i'm going to announce the massive restructure of pro rewards at a pt with no amount of lead up and plenty of in house voices saying this is dumb. this is a great idea - the good and smart one

You're right, the thing affecting most players is pro rewards. We were all so blind!

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

suicidesteve posted:

Good. Ban Empty and Grapeshot and unban the 45 cards banned because of them.
Pretty sure banning those just gets us back Rite of Flame and Seething Song.

As much as I'd like to see Ponder or Preordain it's just not happening because...

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

We live in a super connected era where you can make a bad joke on twitter and lose your job and be socially exiled before your plane lands and you can explain yourself.

Social justice is the kind of justice everyone can't wait to get behind (for all the wrong reasons).

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mandatory lesbian posted:

you do realize the guy deserved mockery right, like its not evil sjws or whatever bullshit this is

i just don't think his address and poo poo should have been posted is all, thats a bit much. losing his job tho, i could care less, what company wants to be associated with garbage

I wasn't talking about this guy. I have no idea if he lost his job or whatever.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

JerryLee posted:

It would probably help if everybody stopped acting like this constitutes social justice in any proper sense of the term (yes, I realize that there are some people who will shield themselves with the 'social justice' label in the course of getting their internet dogpile on-- point is, don't legitimize it.)

Dude rightfully has a much harder time trying to get employed at any sort of visible position now, but IMO it's not really justice if he's still hosed over ten or twenty years from now because he made a dumb tweet, the way some people seem to be gloating over. Social justice is good but, much like criminal justice, should be chiefly focused on rehabilitation and helping onetime offenders make good as members of society :)

Having lived in the US for a few years now I can safely assume that 'pop' social justice is the only kind that carries any weight. Real problems don't matter unless they get you social media hits or you can object to them with the masses.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Mezzanon posted:

Also I got loving destroyed by martyr proc at a 3k over the weekend. loving ruined. How do you interact with the deck if they have a martyr and a mana open?

If this is the one in Red Deer like I think it is I had a swarm of buddies there playing (and one judging). One of them landed 3rd/4th which was rad.

As for dealing with Martyr decks: don't be playing red. Hard removal (Terminate, Path, etc.) is the only thing that gets their 6/6 one drops if they draw a good grip that can drop a fat 6/6 on T2. Some decks just can't handle that, though.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Mezzanon posted:

Yeah that's the one! I started 4-1 then went to a loving shameful 4-4. I was on bant spirits.

One of our teammates top 16'd, we were the guys in the purple Untapped Potential shirts.

They weren't packing team shirts or anything; just a handful of guys from my old hometown in Sask. The guy who made Top 4 was on G/W Tron - the other guys were on a bunch of other decks (Ad Nauseum, Robots, Cheeri-0s, something else) but I don't think anyone else broke top 16.

I'm up in Alaska now though - one of my best bros is a judge in the same group of pals and was there judging for the weekend as well.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Mezzanon posted:

I hope it wasn't the tron player who refused to draw into top 8 with my teammate in the last round at X-1

I have literally no idea. :shrug: That someone on G/W Tron made top 4 is all I really know.

E: There's two Tron lists in the Top 8 for that event, G/W Tron and Eldrazi Tron. Guess it depends on who your friend was up against.

Mikujin fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 31, 2017

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Mezzanon posted:

Yeah I don't know, I just know he was salty about it. I ran wild on r/g and g/w tron. Lost to martyr proc, deaths shadow, grixis control, and eldrazi taxes. Two due to misplays.

Every game I played against deaths shadow if I got to 4 mana I won. If I didn't, I lost.

Also played against a spicy temur prowess list.

Cool tournament, good opponents, wide open meta.

That's awesome. I just know that the guys were excited to go to their first real tourney - there's not a lot out our way. I think the last big tourney in SK was a F2F 2K I took down during... RTR-THS standard? It was a hell of a good show and my mono black opponent was super salty in the finals when he kept trying to Doom Blade my Rakdos Cacklers and I - and the judges - had to remind him they were black. :smug:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

ShaneB posted:

Thanks this is perfect.

FWIW, I've had more luck with activity levels on xmage.de over woogerworks. That said, both are reasonably active.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Sickening posted:

WOTC is like what, 15 years behind in trends? A mmo? Holy gently caress no.

MODO is flaming piece of garbage; what do they have to lose (besides even more of their reputation)?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

SoftNum posted:

Before the set was announced Maro repeatedly said that they wouldn't put black-boarder in silver board just to move packs. Since the announcement I'm assuming this is still true (thought it wouldn't surprise me otherwise)
If this is true then we likely won't see another Un-set after this (except for maybe after another dozen years).

Ultimately, WotC/Hasbro is in the business of making money. Un-sets don't do that, because once everyone gets over the novelty of drafting a funky format, and after your LGS has their one or two novelty Un-set Format FNMs, no more product moves because nothing is there to drive product sales. Unhinged was fortunate to have black-bordered full-frame full-art basics, which still didn't move packs enough to make it seem worth it.

There will absolutely be something included in the set to help drive sales - even if it's just "Full Art Land in every pack."

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Kalli posted:

Innistrad and Zendikar are the two designed with modern sensibilities so will have the best creature base by a healthy margin. I think Mirrodin probably has the bombiest pools considering how crazy bomb heavy Scars block is, the artifact themes and odds of jitte or cranial plating. I never drafted original mirrodin, but Fifth Dawn was pretty rough right? Lots of 3+ color matters cards without much fixing?

Zendikar has two packs of Rise, so I'd be really tempted to go that route. Hmm, is there anything spicy with 4 packs of allies? (probably not).

Jitte was not from Mirrodin.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I know I'm late to the party on this but losing Cheon to literally anything is fine. Dude is incredibly boring and doesn't even seem to know what he's doing. Which is probably also the reason he never seems to place well in events.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

dragon enthusiast posted:

Does Liliana 's Defeat let you destroy Koth

:golfclap:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

The X in the trigger is defined when the ability resolves. It's not like an X spell.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

My old LGS was crazy successful with their FNM model:

Early-Bird FNM - Was free, started at 4PM (got a lot of students). Entry was free, prizes were FNM promos and the winner got free entry into the normal evening FNM. Went no longer than 3 rounds (if lots of folks showed up, points/breakers determined winner).

Regular events were then constructed FNM (7PM) and draft FNM (7:15/7:30PM, depending on how long it took to fire the constructed players). If one of the students got free FNM often their buddies would stick around and play in an event as well, so it really encouraged attendance. Last I heard they opened up a second store in a neighboring town because they're doing quite well.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mandatory lesbian posted:

weren't both those uncommon tho? i actually think 4 mana is fine since i think murder is good at 3 mana, but I also think it shouldn't be a rare just because of an upside that comes up maybe once every 100 games

Gild was rare. Oblivion Strike was common.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Sickening posted:

Man, think of all the benefits we get in 2019!?!?!

My money is on WOTC not extending their contracts because they do not want anything but yes men.

I hope not. Majors is great and I'm excited to see what kind of influence he can have on the design team, especially since they're been churning out unimpressive/unexciting stuff for awhile.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Elyv posted:

On an unrelated note, I want to say that I dislike how demons are giant dudes with an eeeeevil ability, instead of giant dudes who could potentially have a drawback. It doesn't even need to be something like Lord of the Pit, I just want there to be scenarios where your deal with the devil backfires. Don't want to draw a card and lose a life whenever something dies because you're already at 1? Well, maybe you shouldn't have cast that Kothophed. Can't cast your demon of dark schemes because it wipes the board? Oh I'm sorry. Cards like Griselbrand, Herald of Anguish, and this new dude I'm not even going to try to spell annoy me a bit (obviously, Griselbrand is annoying for other reasons too)

They probably don't do this because when they do it sucks and no one wants to play it:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Elyv posted:

In that case the card is really built around the drawback. There's a reason I mentioned Demon of Dark Schemes; it barely has a drawback, but at least there's a semi-realistic scenario where you wouldn't want to make your deal with the devil.
The problem with drawback cards is that, typically, if the drawback is noticeable or able to occur with any degree of frequency the card sees zero play or hype. No one wants to open a Treacherous Pit-Dweller or equivalent, and no one is excited to play it regardless of how thematically fitting it is. This is especially problematic when you start dealing with creature types that are considered iconic - like Angels, Demons, Dragons. Everyone excepts them to be powerful or cool and not just poo poo that makes your life miserable to play with.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Rinkles posted:

There are ways of weaving that into a powerful effect. Perfect example: Bob.
What I was getting at is the cost/benefit analysis of the card itself. There's virtually no drawback to playing Bob (if memory serves the math on Bob in a traditional deck list, for example, was that it costs something on the order of 0.7 life per turn). Similarly, there's virtually no drawback on cards like Griselbrand or Bloodgift demon (even though it's there).

Cards like Treacherous Pit-Dweller employ punisher mechanics rather than drawbacks you can mitigate in deck design. Punisher mechanics are never good or fun so they really hit that "not even casuals want to play this card" sweet spot.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I think Shadow saw play in a few sideboards for awhile, but the effect (in modern at least) wasn't really terrible in demand.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

also that dude that made black mana equal to your devotion to black

Nykthos was a land; you may be thinking of Crypt Ghast which just added B to all the mana your swamp-typed lands produced.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

JerryLee posted:

Also devotion (in any form) wasn't in Standard at the same time as Griselbrand, I'm pretty sure.

Yeah, super-standard only included one-month of core set overlaps, not expert level sets.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Shadow225 posted:

So uh, how did Bolas get so powerful, anyway?
Bolas is a pre-Mending 'walker who has always had an obsession with power. Everything he has done since the Mending has been in an effort to restore himself to pre-Mending power levels and/or gently caress with people who would stop him from doing so.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

GeneX posted:

I want every planeswalker from here on to be a dog.

Not dog people, just dogs.

Give me a goddamn Samoyed walker.

-2: Eat target shoe.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

There's also a UWR control list that plays 1 each of Keranos and Assemble, if memory serves.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Lets Pickle posted:

The blue Desert is very good, by the way. It lets you buckle down for a long game and guarantees inevitability without costing a real spot in your deck..
So are you missing the part where you need to sacrifice deserts to activate the abilities of the new lands? Mill 4 once or twice a game isn't going to provide much reach (which at least the red land does).

E: Deserts are Black > Red > White > the other two

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Rinkles posted:

I'm guessing they were scared about loving up another block, and went overboard with overly safe designs/ power level

So what you're saying is they hosed up another block, just in a different way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You have no imagination, do you?
I'm kind of with McMagic on this one. Wind Drake with Prowess with "Skip your next draw step and get a spell back next turn" is pretty unexciting.