Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Magic Story summary:

Jace and Liliana were loving and Gideon complained about it (because he was too dense to figure out why Jace was at Lili's house early in the morning) so they had to stop. Gideon might as well put on a goddamn fedora at this point; dude is not only friend-zoned as gently caress, but he's a cockblocker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

I am really happy that this abortion of a story drives how cards are designed.

Actually, the story is relatively good this week. It's written competently and without a bunch of bullshit like Chandra's inner-monologues.

Magic Story - Servants

* Liliana is doing her best Tasigur impression, relaxing with mummies serving her food (she later admits the serving mummies are creepy)

* She's uncomfortable with zombies following her command without having to use necromancy. Ever since they got into the city, she hasn't dared use necromancy, assuming it could cause a dangerous reaction. She instead sent out shades to search for information about Razaketh, one of the demons she formed a contract with.

* Raven Man appears (he apparently does a lot). Liliana continues to wonder if he's just a figment of her imagination. He taunts her about her new friends and how she isn't actually doing anything about Razaketh. He tells her that she should be manipulating the Gatewatch into killing Razaketh, but she makes some kind of excuse to sound like she's manipulating them (when she probably isn't).

* He claims he protected her mind from Emrakul and took control of the Chain Veil to save her when a wurm ate her in the first Amonkhet story. This surprises her.

* Jace approaches and Raven Man disappears. Jace and Liliana talk about the mummies, and how they need more information. Liliana notes that every mummy is maimed in some way and that all of them died violently.

* One of Liliana's shades appears with information. It leads them to a building with carvings depicting Razaketh. They go inside and see mummies drag some newly dead initiates inside and follow them. There is basically an assembly line of mummification, with organs stored in unmarked communal jars and bodies set on racks. There is nothing religious about this, it's purely practical.

* Some bodies start moving before the process is complete. Cartouches are placed to keep them under control.

* They see more carvings, explaining that there is a final trial before Bolas opens the gate to the afterlife: Razaketh will be behind it, purging the unworthy who remain. Razaketh, through the carvings, detects Liliana. He tries to evoke her contract, but the Chain Veil protects her, so the mummies attack them instead.

* She tries to use necromancy to control the zombies, but the cartouches stop her. They pull one off a mummy, but the mummy disintegrates.

* The mummies stop when Temmet approaches. He talked with Kefnet's viziers and confirmed the Gatewatch have no birth record. He angrily confronts them, and says some poo poo about how great the "Horned One" is, and Liliana mentions she met him and that he's an rear end in a top hat.

* Jace mind controls Temmet , but he's controlling the zombies, so Jace can't erase his memory, but has him command the mummies to let them go. They run away; but they have to mobilize the GW because Temmet will eventually wake up and alert the locals.

Sampatrick posted:

Except that Gideon pretty explicitly knew that they were loving and also that's definitely not what happened in the story?

Dude, its Gideon, he probably doesn't even know what that is. All it says is "[i]t had happened, a time or three, at her private residence on Ravnica after she joined the Gatewatch. Then Gideon had remarked acidly at some strategy meeting about being unable to find Jace in the early hours of the morning, and that had been the quiet, unremarked-upon end of the thing."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sometimes I wish I had talent:

Howard Lyon paints Nissa, Steward of Elements in time-lapse

Each frame is 1 minute; the actual time lapse covers 42 hours.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 19, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

:lol: of course Jace is the pro sex-haver in the MTG background.

I mean, Gideon's got a healthy interest, but whatever chance he had with Chandra is probably being blown by joining a local cult.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sickening posted:

Some folks at a LGS I know of can't collectively figure out if goyf is same power and toughness in all zones. A lot believe its 0 outside of the battlefield. Everything I am finding online says its the same no matter which zone its in. This is compounded by the fact that both level 1 judges at this location are saying its zero.

Judges who can't be arsed to spend 15 seconds to look up the card-specific rulings in Gatherer should actually just have their certifications taken away. The very first loving note in gatherer says "Tarmogoyf’s ability works in all zones, not just while Tarmogoyf is on the battlefield."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I think the funniest thing about Goyf is that it has reminder text that was supposed to be cool future stuff, but now it references an abandoned, archaic card type.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I actually don't understand the logic behind the poly and mono artifact classification. Did Garfield really think it was too much work to type out "tap to do X?"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

tqilamknbrd posted:

Newbie here, this weekends prerelease will be my first time playing magic and hopefully not my last. Aside from actually going down to a local store and playing I've been doing all I can to get a grasp of the game. CFB gave Slither Blade a 0 but a 1 mana 1/2 that can't be blocked seems useful to me?

It doesn't do very much. The only way it would ever be good is if you loaded it up with enchantments, but that's generally a bad strategy because you lose all the cards when/if it gets killed.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

tqilamknbrd posted:

Fair enough, thanks all.

So the same apply to Sacred Cat, regardless of picking up Regal Caracal? *Or is that a different story because of lifelink and embalm?
No, because Sacred Cat has 2 abilities that are highly relevant in an average game of Magic, whereas Slither Blade has 1 ability that isn't terribly relevant on a 1/2. You're trying to evaluate how much "work" the card will put in in a regular game of Magic.

The problem with Slither Blade is that its a 1/2 with an ability that only rewards you for attacking with it, but you don't really want to play cards that can't do anything but attack for 1. Sacred Cat doesn't do that - it's good on defense because Embalm lets you recur it, you still gain life on a block, and if you use it aggressively attacking with it creates an effective 2 point life swing (since your opponent loses 1 and you gain 1).

You aren't going to be picking Sacred Cat really high in draft, but I'm guessing you almost always play 1 of them if you have them.

tqilamknbrd posted:

I'm sure I'll lose a bunch of games before I gain even the slightest sense of value appreciation and for that matter ~synergy~, but thanks for the heads up.

Nobody knows what's good in terms of new mechanics until they've gotten to play it. Embalm is a mechanic people only *theoretically* understand because its a new mechanic.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Sacred Cat's actually maybe okay even without other synergies, just because of embalm. How good Sacred Cat is is going to be a really good indicator of how good embalm is overall; it's definitely not worth a card just on its face, but the fact that you can get another Sacred Cat out of it is *maybe* enough to get it there. It'll never be better than 'okay', but it does have the potential to get that far.

I think almost every white limited deck would be happy with a single Sacred Cat. At the very worst its a 1-drop roadblock that can chump twice and gain you 2 life for very little mana. I'm like 99% sure you want to play Sacred Cat; its worth a card in your deck because it does a lot for a minimal mana investment. I have played lots and lots of winning draft decks with cards obviously worse than Sacred Cat.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 20, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

We have, however, seen a fair number of similar mechanics (flashback and unearth in particular), enough that we've got a frame of reference for how good being able to cast a card out of your graveyard is (it is very good almost regardless of what the actual card does). If embalm turns out poorly it's because we've radically misjudged the overall shape of the format, not the mechanic itself. Which is possible, but unlikely.

Basically yes, it's a matter of having similar things before.

I mean, sure, but what I was trying to get at is that how good any given mechanic is is hard to say without playing the format to see what boardstates look like. Generally speaking, the difference there is that with Embalm you just get the creature back and you have a lot more room for creatures than spells so the value of Embalm might be quite different than either of those mechanics. I also think Lifelink as a keyword, despite being in every single set, is one that a lot of players have difficulty evaluating regardless of what the format looks like.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 20, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ideal Masters: Tournament-legal versions of Reserved List cards and a guaranteed foil rare in every pack! MSRP: $9.99, your soul for all eternity

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 20, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Maro pointed out at one point that they had bigger plans than they did for the 25th Anniversary because fans got pissed off about the 20th having basically nothing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Shivan Dragon would probably be busted at uncommon?

Shivan Dragon would be an okay open if they kept Melissa Benson's art and not the generic gently caress dragon they've used since what, Sixth Edition?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

What cards will be in Byronic masters

Urza is probably the character fitting the Byronic Hero archetype the most.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elyv posted:

I just want a Nicol Bolas reprint with him reading a book again instead of whatever the gently caress they did in that FTV set.

The problem with bringing back Nipple Bolas is that he became an iconic character in modern MTG lore, so they have a style guide related to him that doesn't match the original artwork.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

6 mana for a 5/5 flyer in red at U isn't gonna break your draft, particularly if the format is also sporting Mahamoti Djinns, Ernham Djinns, Serra Angels, and Sengir Vampires at Uncommon.

It's still probably better than most uncommons though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Wasn't that true of the zombie lord too? I don't remember any other than Scathe Zombies.

Edit: Fallen empires had multiple Goblins-Matters cards in it and the only goblin was Goblin Chirurgeon, itself a goblins matters card.

I know this acutely because I did a giant fallen empires sealed event a while back.

I think Goblin Flotilla is a Goblin, isn't it?

There was Scavenging Zombie and Scathe Zombies in Alpha.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 20, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Without printing reserved list cards there's almost no way they can justify $10 packs. This is probably going to be a huge disaster. Also, WOTC will blame the community for the set failing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Second opportunity from what?
She got cut the first time for budget reasons.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Veyrall posted:

Okay, enlighten me: What's so bad about Frank Lepore? Because I still watch his poo poo.

He is a magic player

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

YggdrasilTM posted:

I fondi Gideon an absolutely useless planeswalker

I won a bunch of games off it so I guess I feel the opposite. It's not game breaking but it's not Ally of Zendikar by design.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The only games I lost the entire weekend were to a nine year old girl. She was so excited. Last I saw she was 3-1. :3:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I think the Standard non-bans kind of solidifies the theory someone posted in here the other day: when you think about decisions WOTC makes about this game, assume they're only considering the dumbest motherfucker on the planet. You know, some dipshit kitchen table player who doesn't even have a DCI number who is mad about the value of his Saheelis.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

"Standard is still hosed" = handwringing, gotcha

gently caress all those tryhards who give a poo poo about a product they (presumably) spend money on.

sit on my Facebook posted:

The curse might end up being good but Manglehorn seems pretty trivial for a Saheeli deck to get off the board

Manglehorn is a comically bad way to answer the combo. If you are putting Manglehorn in your deck against the combo you're probably loving up. It does actual nothing against Saheeli but stop the combo.

It's not the same thing as playing an Eidolon of Rhetoric against a Storm player; they can kill you some way other than the combo and they can remove your Manglehorn.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 24, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Frankly I'm not even convinced that Manglehorn is a good card against Vehicles either. It's good if you shoot down Heart of Kiran but then you have once again spent three mana to answer their two mana threat which is the whole reason it's so hard to beat Vehicles in the first place; it's virtually impossible to be more efficient than them. If it were like a 1/4 or something I'd be more interested but as is it can't beat any of their guys in combat, it's worthless in combat after they have a Gideon emblem, it's likely to trade down in mana. Bleh

You spent 3 mana to answer it and leave behind a 2/2 with a static ability (which is of admittedly limited relevance). Manglehorn is a great card against Artifact decks.

Sickening posted:

Why would I give a poo poo who is mentioned on a meme of all things?

I have no idea why her existence is so polarizing to internet nerds. Oh wait, yes I do. A healthy mix of thirst, people upset over the thirsty people, misogyny, and guilt by association.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 24, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Vehicles is only just barely an artifact deck though, isn't it? Don't most lists have like 7-9 artifacts? 4 being Scrapheap Scrounger, which is not really meaningfully answered by the 'horn

Ideally you're blowing up a Heart and trading with a Scrounger, which is more than enough value for 3 mana. Even if you kill a Scrounger and then trade with it again, its a good deal. The body isn't big but having 2 power means it does meaningfully block some of their aggressive plays. And sure, an opponent can theoretically can kill Manglehorn, but it isn't likely they're going to spend a card on killing a 2/2 with a relatively marginal static ability.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

I'm just still mad they didn't even give Smuggler's Copter a god drat chance in a format with Fatal Push.

Then Manglehorn was also in their list of Things They're Printing.

Smuggler's Copter was a stupid loving card that had no good reason to exist. Your anger is misplaced, unless this is an ironypost to comment on "giving Amonkhet a chance" to answer a turn 4 infinite combo.

This is only sort of a bug. The problem is the fact that Exert is not a trigger that goes on the stack and most people expect it to be a Declare Attackers trigger. It's a decision you have to make as you declare the attacker. Allowing you to choose to exert after you declare attackers is literally cheating.

But there should probably be a button with "Attack with all and exert all available attackers," yes.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 24, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I just love the theory that there's a cabal of Legacy-only players that play no Magic other than Legacy. Saying "WOTC makes no money off Legacy players" is such a stupid sentiment I don't get why anyone would type it out, and then think that it seems like a good thing to post. Mentioning that WOTC makes no money directly from Legacy play doesn't say anything relevant other you have terrible insight.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 24, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Just watched Kenji have an opponent ask him how you go about Exerting.

You'd think it would ask you when you attack, but nope.

That's because that's against the rules. Exert requires you to exert AS you attack; the act of pressing OK is declaring attackers. It's a super, super minor rules thing, but you can't declare attackers, realize you actually made a bad attack and then decide to exert.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Death Bot posted:

Then it should prompt when you toggle the attack? Or when you hit ok on your attacking choice ask you for each creature? These are both pretty obvious and simple solutions that are a lot more intuitive

This only matters if you use the "attack with all" shortcut. When you click on an individual exert creature during Declare Attackers it will give you the option to either attack or attack and exert.

mcmagic posted:

There DEFINITELY is a cabal of Legacy-only players that play no other Magic other than Legacy.

Nah, that's largely bullshit. You're talking about a statistically irrelevant portion of an already statistically irrelevant demographic. There's also a guy who claims that Modern Masters cards aren't real.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 24, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I know a good amount of those irrelevant people...

Did you really need to follow up on this? I don't believe you, end of story.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

What the hell is this? There is absolutely 100% people who ONLY play Vintage/Legacy. In that stupid Vice documentary they go to one of my local card shops and show a group of people who talk about how Vintage (or legacy? I can't remember) is the only real format and they don't care about people.

You're being really ridiculous stubborn about something really stupid and really easy for everyone else to accept.

The point wasn't that such people don't exist. It's that I don't buy that McMagic personally knows a lot of people whose participation in the game is literally nothing but Constructed Legacy.

The underlying issue is that the theory that WOTC hates Legacy and wants to kill it because those players don't contribute any money to the game is absurd. The vast majority of Legacy players play Limited, Standard, EDH, etc. in addition to Legacy and he'll, they aim products at those formats all of the loving time.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 25, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Speaking of Hazoret, her upward climb is continuing, up to $10 now on TCGP. To me it seems warranted. The card is pretty nuts, and it is an insane topdeck on almost any board state.

Here's a list I've been working on

The Pervert
4 Flameblade Adept
4 Noose Constrictor
2 Ravenous Bloodseeker
4 Tireless Tracker
2 Stromkirk Occultist
3 Hazoret, the PervertFervent
4 Honored Hydra
1 Heart-Piercer Manticore

3 Lightning Axe
4 Fiery Temper
1 Insult//Injury
2 Nahiri's Wrath
3 Shock

4 Game Trail
4 Cinder Glade
4 Sheltered Thicket
5 Mountain
5 Forest
1 Drownyard Temple

Bloodrage Brawler seems like an auto-include. I'm not sold on Flameblade Adept being particularly great here either; your deck encourages you to be mostly at 1 card, but the Adept is only swinging for 1 at that point. Tireless Tracker doesn't have any particular synergy with the deck either, I think you just want Rhonas ($$$ tho) - curving Rhonas into Hazoret is loving filthy.

Cut Flameblade Adept, Tireless Tracker, Stromkirk Occultist, Sheltered Thicket/Drownyard Temple (you don't need taplands because your curve ends at 4 and you aren't going to have spare mana that often). Move Heart-Piercer to the board. Add another Lightning Axe. Add Rhonas, Bloodrage Brawler, Bomat Courier (alternatively, Insolent Neonate).

I'd probably keep Shock for the board against Combo and stick with Axes + Temper as your removal suite.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Oooh, yeah Bloodrage Brawler is definitely an oversight there. I will defend the Adept though, that guy has really overperformed and gives the deck it's strongest-feeling starts. I actually had Bomat Courier in there originally but it just didn't seem good, it gets in for maaaybe a damage before out just turns in to a "dump your hand" outlet. I had the list way more tuned for going hellbent originally but unfortunately that's just not a good way to win games in current standard. You need a way to get back in the game if you're out of cards and they answer your threats, hence Tireless Tracker. In addition to just being generically powerful, it lets you sock away some cards for later without ruining the hand size game. Occultist is definitely too cute. I also agree that the Cycling lands don't line up as well as it seems like they should.

I think I'm gonna try -1 Manticore, -2 Occultist, -1 Tireless Tracker for 4 Bloodrage Brawler and see how that feels. I'll try the other three Trackers for Rhonas too but Tracker seems really strong in the deck

The reason why Heckbent as a strategy isn't going to be good is that the combo is stupid. But at the FNM level I just concede I'll lose against combo and its fine.

I'd still consider Rhonas, you're playing green with a ton of ways to get him going. If you get Rhonas + Hazoret out your opponent needs to be able to interact with Hazoret almost immediately in order to get into a winning position.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 25, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Siivola posted:

What if they're not banning anything because they're afraid that without Cat, nothing would spring up to challenge Mardu? :tinfoil:

But there actually is a lot of playable hate for artifacts in this set.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

SaffronOlive had a 78.5% game winning percentage with Gideon Tribal in Modern. Because lots of decks can never beat the Emblem.

:allears:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ZeroCount posted:

It was in a random lobby but it did match up against a few strong decks. It's not like people don't play good decks in the non-competitive rooms.

They are competitive and cost money to enter. It's just not the league with the highest payout.

Boco_T posted:

When you say "lobby games," his recorded non-League matches are always in the 2-player queue so at least he has a stake, even if it's $2/20PP. That's why the videos for Much Abrew or whatever always end in the window with 30 or 5 PPs showing.

He's not just in the Tournament Practice room, and I also think he does it to make it easier to cut duplicate match-ups out so you don't just get Leagues where he faces 2 Dredge 2 Burn and Affinity.

He does it that way because when people ask not to be in the video series he won't put them in the videos.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 27, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

This horrible card might actually be standard playable now...

That effect is not playable.

AceClown posted:

Yeah these ones
No idea how they will bring them back or tie all that up but I would not for one second be surprised if WotC did a stupid thing and brought eldrazi in to Hour

Emrakul is still alive, but I'm guessing when they bring her back they'll make her sentient (they had some storyline hints that they could either talk or communicate).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 27, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

myDad posted:

Jace gonna bang that otherworldly horror :heysexy:

I think that was the first thing Ajani said when he joined the Gatewatch right? "This guy fucks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Siivola posted:

Nobody's played it so it's perfect thus far. :shrug:

Lots of people; its on MTGO already.