Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Star Man posted:

Who's got time for beads? I just turn my cards just slightly to the right so they're not straight and that's good enough.

I'm pretty sure this is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
2HG was super fun. Had a match where we went down to 3-30 early in the game from aggro and Cut // Ribbons (no I don't know why they didn't wait either), then gradually clogged up the board and removed every threat the opponents had. Game went to time, then in extra turns I managed to discard down to 7 and active Faith Of The Devoted to win (card is totally busted in 2HG).

Every game had some super crazy plays, cycling and graveyard recursion keeps the games really interesting.

I had played with some Sealed generators online, and it looked really hard to build a good deck. But in 2HG you get absolutely insane pools, the archetypes become really strong. I think draft will be sweet too.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Lottery of Babylon posted:

No Jackal God, no deal. :colbert:

The Invocation typeline only barely fits "Legendary Creature - God"

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

80s James Hetfield posted:

Haha, these are actual MTGO people

I love these guys, but the one which always gets me is 'no tribal'. I just cannot fathom the logic.

Big shout out to Mr "STILL MUTED FOR HARASSING NON GREETERS IF YOU DON'T GREET I WILL CURSE AT YOU AND TIME OUT"

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Hi, I haven't played since Ice Age but was recently feeling nostalgic and decided to check it out again. Is there still a "core" set like Revised or 4th Edition, etc, or did they get rid of that concept?

Magic no longer uses the Core Set model. Instead, every expansion is designed to be accessible to new and returning players. Pop along to your local store for a Draft event, the current format - Amonkhet - is particularly fun.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Entropic posted:

It's not? I mean it's a big dragon dressed like a pharaoh? I guess he doesn't have the magic pokeball between his horns. Is it supposed to be a demon or something?

It's this dude I believe, who fits neatly into the category of "please put art on cards that I can actually see at that size please"

Nice painting though.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Playing Draft the other day I had my opponent down to 1 when he turned on New Perspectives, cycled through half his deck to find Archfiend of Ifnir at my end of turn, then used it to wipe my board.

Pretty much every game of this format has had some amazing play in it, all sorts of fun.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Maybe this Ammit wasn't quite so full of bale.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Every time I see a Magic argument caused by differing understanding of the term 'fair' in context, I take a drink.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

mcmagic posted:

At no point did I advocate unbanning Emrakul while Marvel is still legal.

Actually you did, but I knew what you meant.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Death Bot posted:

Bring a roll of paper and tear off a new piece every round to tilt your oppo

Roll of toilet paper and a new piece for each card

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Mirrorweave, baby

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I can imagine a silly deck that just uses Samut + one of Standard's pseudo-proliferate effects to just slam out giant threats on turn 5.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It's just going to be a big article about the new playtest team.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
About an hour I think.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Well, I don't think I'll be buying into whatever the top Standard deck is for the next couple of years at least.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Nicol Bolas, The Deceiver - 5UBR
Planeswalker - Bolas
+3: Each opponent loses 3 life unless that player sacrifices a nonland permanent or discards a card
-3: Destroy Target Creature, draw a card
-11: Nicol Bolas, The Deceiver deals 7 damage to each opponent, you draw 7 cards

Starting loyalty is covered by the box.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Tales of Woe posted:

From the info we have so far I would guess that Iconic Masters is more of a casual-focused set whereas Masters 25 is more like an Eternal/Modern masters set.

From the announcement video, "25 years of Magic, stuff from every single set"

I uh, have no idea what that Limited format will be like.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

ZeroCount posted:

Apparently the vanilla mythic that Maro's been hinting at for a while now is in Unstable. What are the odds that it's a creature with a bunch of abilities, the last of which is 'CARDNAME is vanilla'?

Literally just Grizzly Bears at Mythic

I would also accept Grizzly Bear, G, 1/1

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Hellsau posted:

Here's a really weird product:

http://wpn.wizards.com/en/products/gift-pack

A set of the Mark Poole Commander lands in foil, 3 packs that you can't draft easily, a Spindown, and (presumably promo) foil Metalwork Colossus and Kari Zev. What a strange assortment of things for $20.

I think stuff like this is normally a result of "We screwed up in printing and have some extra sheets of cards to shift"

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
If they were sensible,they'd be unveiling Magical Digital Next as a replacement for Duels, with the intention of stress testing it there and using the same platform to replace MTGO some time later.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
So Ixalan's got to be a heavily tribal block based on those leaks right?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Entropic posted:

Hostage Taker seems cool. 2UB or 3UB for a 2/1 Banisher Priest that lets you cast the exiled creature with any color mana. And it hits artifacts too.

Am I reading it wrong, or does that card create arbitrarily infinite ETB triggers?

Hostage Taker enters, targets itself, exiles itself, returns itself, targets itself, etc

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
There's a vehicle in that photograph. WTF?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

mossyfisk posted:

Am I reading it wrong, or does that card create arbitrarily infinite ETB triggers?

Hostage Taker enters, targets itself, exiles itself, returns itself, targets itself, etc

gently caress me, it's not even a may. Playing that on an empty board draws the game.

I must be misunderstanding how this templating works, surely? Not even Wizards could be that incompetent.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I know that's why Cast Out etc can't keep stuff exiled forever. But that's because the duration never begins.

"If the “for as long as” duration never starts, or it ends before the moment the effect would first be applied" - this isn't the case, Hostage Taker is still on the battlefield when the first effect is applied.

The game can't tell that Hostage Taker will be gone until it's already halfway through resolving the ability in this case.

Edit: Although I imagine a rule change would solve the issue.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
There's so much text in that box, I feel like it maybe used to say "may exile another target artifact or creature an opponent controls" and they just had to keep trimming bits off it.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Angry Grimace posted:

It's because they don't keep them secret in a way that a way that matters in a world where everyone has a camera on them at all times.

It sucks but they need to change up their practices

Someone needs to print and package those cards in various places around the world.

They don't employ actual wizards who can bind the employees of printing presses to a sacred magical oath.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Plus it looks like a 3/1 to me

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

TheChirurgeon posted:

The sheet is easily worth more than $500, making this a felony in most states.

Weirdly, if the police asked Wizards what the value of the stole items were, they'd have to say like, $50 right? Theoretically Magic cards don't have individual values or booster packs could get them accused of gambling.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Tainen posted:

lolin that it is just named "The Scorpion God"

I think the idea is that Bolas tore them from the heavens, erased their legacies, and twisted them into tools. I'd expect no flavor text on any of them either.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
lol at 2R for lightning bolt

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I though being Eternal made you black

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I eagerly await people complaining about how too many hate cards makes Standard unfun.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I bet you took all your action figures out of the packaging as well, like a loving animal

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

TheMaestroso posted:

Who are you talking to?

It's a question someone sent to MaRo's blog.

Magic players are weird.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Eugene, The Spirit Dragon

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
What is going on with this set.

Can I start playing Ixalan yet

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Rules q, couple nights ago I played a grim strider with two cards in hand (6/6, -1/-1 for every card in hand). Attacked with it, opponent chose to take the 4. I played two Onward in response (creature gets +x /+0 until end of turn, where x is it's power)

How much damage do?

24, right? You hold priority to cast both, Grim Strider is 6/6, becomes a 12/6, becomes a 24/6.

I'm pretty tired though.

Edit: If you didn't explicitly hold priority, then you did 22

mossyfisk fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I know it's meant to kill the gods, but it just makes me think Bolas really hates horses.