Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

Whatever happened to Ashiok? I feel like they were printed as a magic card and then we never learned anything else about them.
He tried to make an artificial god using nightmares.
He also fought with Dack Fayden in the comic book, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

Instead we get static character #5, who has no personality whatsoever. I'm not saying you dedicate a multi part story to it, I'm saying you give her a character arc so you don't have another static boring as gently caress character.

She is currently the fantasy wizard version of a hikikomori, so I suppose her current "character arc" is making friends without freaking out?

TheChirurgeon posted:

Wait, Ashiok is a dude?

Nah, still unknown. My fault, in italian there are no neutral pronouns.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 18, 2017

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

A lot of people are complaining for the 2 Liliana, 2 gideon, 2 chandra and 3 nissa, but this is just an effect of the changed rotation, right? without that , we would have 2 Liliana, 1 Gideon, 1 Chandra and 2 Nissa. (No, I will NOT count the dumb "not really for play" intro deck planeswalkers).

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

BJPaskoff posted:

The purpose of Ashiok was to be a character they could tell us was mysterious and nothing else about them and have us go "Wow, that is mysterious!" so mission accomplished.

Ashiok was the original bad guy of Theros block ("Evil jace is stealing dreams!") when the design created the first draw of the story.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 18, 2017

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Siivola posted:

Considering there's also two Lilianas alongside the two Nissas, I think much of this is legit down to WotC overestimating how popular these characters are.

Nothing of new. I mean , in Innistrad-Ravinca we had 2 Liliana, 2 Garruk and 2 jaces.
In Theros-Ravnica we had 2 jaces and 2 ajani (briefly 3).

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 18, 2017

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Origins has only the five gatewatch members as PW cards.
BFZ has Gideon, Thassa, Bobby Nixon, Chandra, and Nissa. 3 GW, 2 not. Well okay they're founding the group so they need a lot of them.
SOI has Jace, Sorin, Nahiri, Arlinn, Liliana and Tamiyo. 2 GW, 4 not. This block had a shitton of planeswalkers and the two gatewatch members are the ones not in battle so it's fine.
KLD has Chandra, Nissa, Dovin, Ajani, and Tezz. 2 GW, 2 not, one joins. This is where things get suspicious as it has been only two sets since OGW, but the group is expanding past the characters in Origins and it needs to represent the villains so I gu-
just Amcocknet has Gideon, Liliana, and Nissa. Hold on, these are just gatewatch members! Nissa was in Kaladesh! Liliana was in the set before that! AFAIK there isn't a story thing where the place has no walkers. What gives?
I think is due to the nature of the Amonkhet story. I would not be suprised if ALL the GW planeswalker are printed in Amonkhet.
Also, I don't think there are planeswalkers AT ALL in Amonkhet, (with the exception of Bolas). At least in their initial ideas.

quote:

But the last 4 mono-white planeswalkers have all had the ability to become a human soldier creature because they're all Gideon.

Kytheon
Gideon AoZ
Gideon of the Trials.
Before of these there was Ajani Steadfast.

Mezzanon posted:

Didn't Ashiok briefly succeed and making a nightmare god before another god squashed it?

Story beats that were completely ignored by wizards previously: Mentioning the B/W angel sister on Innistrad and then never referencing that again.

Story beat they will probably also ignore: The 3 missing gods on Amonkhet
Maybe they will ignore them, maybe not. I think these are just ideas that they will use if they need to come back to these planes and create a new story.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 18, 2017

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

YggdrasilTM posted:

Maybe they will ignore them, maybe not. I think these are just ideas that they will use if they need to come back to these planes and create a new story.

Also, people have this strange idea that "if something is mentioned in a story, it HAS to be relevant to the story". Maybe it's just background information?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The story of today was quite good. Everything in Amokhet is creepy as gently caress (the only one that is currently enjoying the place is Gideon, and we know that he WILL change his mind) and I quite enjoyed the Liliana-Jace dynamics and how they flavoured the Amonkhet necromancy.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Barry Shitpeas posted:

The first section is literally just a description of the art from new Liliana, though

Yup. more or less 8 sentences.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

BJPaskoff posted:

When I think of "iconic" I think of basically Chronicles style stuff. To me, the cards that are iconic of Magic aren't necessarily the most powerful. Stuff like Ernham Djinn, Llanowar Elves, Hurloon Minotaur, Shivan Dragon, etc. There's stuff like Lightning Bolt and Demonic Tutor, too. What's iconic is probably different for different people depending on when they started playing.

Basically this.
Fireball, counterspell, dark ritual, Sera angel and so on.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Eh, who cares.
Vintage is dumb format and Legacy is more a cluster of overpowered cards surviving in a self perpetuating bubble only because no real player cares enough to break it.
The reseverd list is dumb, but I'm not exactly disappointed.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

It's just me or the limited of this set is way more difficult than usual?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I fondi Gideon an absolutely useless planeswalker

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Did you find it to be a pretty great removal spell?

It's a half pacifism for 3 that can be attacked or killed by direct damage.
It's terrible when you are behind on board, it does nothing to break stalls and its emblem is a joke

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Wait I thought people were generally of the opinion that Miracles was a stupid deck given how dominant it had become, and that it going away would be healthy for the format? Or was the argument that it should just lose Terminus because of how overpowered that one card is in that shell, and losing it wouldn't completely kill the deck?

Magic players complain because they want bans, then complain because they HAD bans. nothing of new

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sickening posted:

MTG players don't make WOTC money? Are you sure?

LEGACY players do not.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Death Bot posted:

Big agree, even if they aren't spending the same amount of money on things that directly pay to wizards, they are free word of mouth advertisement, occasionally subsidize standard sets when a playable gets printed, and help trickle money into stores by built singles and event slots.

It's worth having them around and paying low effort lip service at the very least

The 90% of the Legacy and Modern players "free word of mouth advertisement" is "Standard sucks and it's a money pit, do not play it".

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Siivola posted:

For those who care (you might not), this week's story is pretty bad. :negative:

Eh, I liked. It wasn't fun as the previous one, but it was good enough. There is also some nice character development.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

80s James Hetfield posted:

That story on the website reads like it was written by some 19 year old writing fan fiction.

I can't believe that actually publish that poo poo as canon

It's the guy that wrote the first Shadows over Innistrad story.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Will modo last?

I love the goofy picture of the Torrential Gearhulk masterpiece :allears:

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

And so now the combo is banned.
Will Magic players stop to complain? I'm pretty sure they will not!

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 27, 2017

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

and you can't answer your opponent's Gideon?

What? Why? Unmaking exiles, right?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

there are a lot of fundamental issues with a lot of stuff related to standard but i think one thats pretty underrated is that wizards pushes their cards they want to be good way too drat hard.

Yup, it was repeated only 5623184 times.Totally underrated.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

sit on my Facebook posted:

I'm not entirely sure that Mardu is objectively the best deck as much as it was piloted waaay better than the decks it's played against (on camera at least) were piloted against it.

Edit: also as Cedric just said, Mardu is a very complete 75 card deck, and none of the opposing decks have felt that way

Mardu is the Abzan of current standard.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

How ironic is it that Standard may end up being the only format with viable control decks?

Basically not ironic at all? Standard has always been the format where control decks could be more successful.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

The Ammit thing is even more stupid when you consider that Gideon fought and held off known indestructible 10/10 Ulamog.

The Eldrazi should've recruited some Ammits for their world devouring campaign.

Ulamog has not haste. The GAoZ can block it with no problems using tokens. GotT can prevent its damage.
That haste Ammit can easily kill a Gideon pw

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 4, 2017

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

sit on my Facebook posted:

It amuses me that the only 2 cards that see play from Battle for Zendikar that see play are ones that most people hate playing against.

Manlands.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Green and blue are the two weakest colors.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

BFZ had Lumbering Falls and Shambling Vent which are the least played ones in Standard.

"the only 2 cards that see play" <> "the 2 more played"

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Siivola posted:

Yeah fair enough, y'all entirely right.

So, uh, I should stop drifting into green every time I play this set, huh? :ohdear:

It's not at BFZ green levels.
You can build great green decks if you find the right cards.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

It's very funny how the thread went from "some pro are abusing rules to make their opponents lose" to "rules should be more severe and punishing" (so pro can abuse them to make people lose)!

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

ThePeavstenator posted:

No it's more like "pros know the right codewords for saying they didn't intend to cheat to avoid getting punished".

Like when some rando tournament player gets paired against a pro for the first time it shouldn't be on that player who probably is already nervous as hell to referee their opponent. Again, EE not destroying your own top: "Well you didn't notice your opponent cheated made a mistake in their favor in time, too bad!" is clearly not a fair outcome.

The problem is that if you punish actions like these, you are encouraging the opponent that notice them to report them only after some time, when they cannot be rewind.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

NO_CARRIER posted:

What are the payoffs for this Rite deck, exactly?

It's basically an aristocrats deck.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

It wouldn't. Blue control decks already beat Marvel regularly.

Yeah, control is already a terrible matchup for Marvel.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sickening posted:

Its just a dumb creature deck with removal.

Like, basically any standard deck ever that is not a combo or creatureless control deck?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Top 8:
1. Chris Fennell
2. Ken Yukuhiro
3. Mark Tobiasch
4. Christian Calcano
5. Martin Muller
6. Gerry Thompson
7. Eric Froehlich
8. Yuuya Watanabe

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Decklists.
http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptakh/top-8-decklists-2017-05-13
Basically
1 BG energy.
1 BW zombie.
2 Mono B zombie.
4 Temur Marvel

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Hellsau posted:

This standard format seems like it would be much more fun without BFZ block. Next rotation kills BFZ and SOI at the same time, right?

So next rotation kills zombie, remove half of BG delirium cards, remove Gideon from mardu and Ulamog from Marvel.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The thing that I like more in the Eldrazi, in Aetherwork Marvel and so on is that they are dumb timmy cards that really piss off people that want to feel "smart" playing control decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

ThePeavstenator posted:

Eldrazi cards themselves don't make control unplayable, the dumb, durdling, value vomit that comes from Marvel decks does.

e:

Also what part of "lol I love how this bad gameplay makes people that I dislike not have fun" is supposed to come off as not incredibly douchey?

no, it's more "I love when people lose to things they dismiss as bad gameplay". It's more or less the reason I play only janky, improbable decks in modern.