Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

bolas twitched a claw and a curtain of fire rolled out to incinerate arlinn and gideon. he grinned, and a curtain of necrotic acid vaporized nahiri and kiora. a nod of his head, and waves of psychic force flayed ajani and vivien.

jace, bloody and broken, pried himself off the ground. "bolas..." he murmured through blood-frothed lips. "you forgot... one thing... you forgot the power of... bofa..."

the dragon-god tilted his head quizzically, his great eyes narrowing. this close to his planned apotheosis, nothing could stop him, and yet a shred of curiosity remained-- a fragment of the mortal he had been.

"really, jace?" he asked, his voice echoing out across the shattered landscape of ravnica. "what, pray tell, is bofa?"

despite the agony of his shattered ribs and the grief of his slaughtered friends, jace's lips split into a grin of triumph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

All i want to do is get Bolas Citadel in play, get Phyrexian Unlife in play, then use Congregation at Dawn to get Emrakul, Ulamog, and Kozilek on top, then cast them all. The ultimate Timmy dream come true.

sadly you can only pay life you have even with unlife or some other “you don’t lose” card in play

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

haha upgraded edict!!! also baby teferi is real lmao

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

shockingly the power-mad, monomaniacal master manipulator turned out to be untrustworthy

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

ROFLburger posted:

Where are all of the darn green cards

the toilet, where they belong

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Some Guy. If you put a gun to WOTC's head and say we need 36 different characters you're bound to get Generic Guy No. 34.

hey now, jace already exists

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i would be very happy if they got rid of the jacetice league and bolas, and these new little monocolor guys they're introducing would become the new regularly-showing-up walkers

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

new core 5
shieldboi
edgelord
tibalt
vivien
tami-RECORD SCRATCH, FREEZE FRAME
Jace: yup, it's me. you're probably wondering how i ended up in this situation. well,

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

teferi's titty twister matches up very poorly against Nicol's Nurple

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

doubling season in a planeswalker matters set would be incredibly lol

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

literally any cost other than tapping lands and paying a mana cost is an alternative cost. if you cast a fireball by pitching a goblin guide to Dream Halls you just paid an alternative cost. you don’t get Xs when you cast by paying an alternative cost.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

TheDemon posted:

The rule that states this has three exceptions in its text. I am arguing that Bolas's Citadel qualifies for one of them.

you’re misreading the rule. the only exception to the “alternate costs mean X=0” rule is when X is defined in the card text (e.g. deal X damage to a creature, where X equals the number of red creatures you tap as you cast this spell.) Shoals work because in the event of an alternate cast, X is defined by the CMC of the pitched card.

Normally yes, one of the steps of casting a spell is picking values of X. However there’s a secret caveat that says “if you are casting this spell via an alternative cost and the value of X is not defined in the text of the spell, meaning the spell doesn’t literally say “X=this”, then pick 0.” The fact that Citadel lets you pay a variable amount of life based on the cost of the spell makes it feel different from Dream Halls style alternate casting costs, which are binary, but it’s not.

Basically: What determines whether you can set a value for X when you’re casting a card in a nontraditional way is the text of the card being cast, not the text of the card you’re using to cast it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 2, 2019

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

A Moose posted:

Can you play march of the multitudes with Bolas's Citadel? Convoke isn't an alternate cost. if so, I could see you playing a bolas's citadel, passing the turn, cracking an Emergence Zone and playing a bunch of weenies off the top of your deck, and then convoking a large March of the Multitudes, untapping, and casting Flourish.

you can’t pay two different alternative costs so no.

e: just checked and convoke is not an alternative cost! but you still can’t because it’s an X spell

double e: also convoke applies towards mana costs, and you don’t pay a mana cost for citadel cards, so you couldn’t put counters on dudes with venerated loxodon with it either

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 2, 2019

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Abhorrence posted:

Yeah, if it's not an alternative cost, then 107.3b is almost exactly on point.

But it IS an alternative cost. You guys are making this way more complicated than it has to be.

Comp Rules posted:

117.9. Some spells have alternative costs. An alternative cost is a cost listed in a spell's text, or applied to it from another effect, that its controller may pay rather than paying the spell's mana cost. Alternative costs are usually phrased, "You may [action] rather than pay [this object's] mana cost," or "You may cast [this object] without paying its mana cost."

Comp Rules posted:

614.1a Effects that use the word "instead" are replacement effects. Most replacement effects use the word "instead" to indicate what events will be replaced with other events.
614.1b Effects that use the word "skip" are replacement effects. These replacement effects use the word "skip" to indicate what events, steps, phases, or turns will be replaced with nothing.
614.1c Effects that read "[This permanent] enters the battlefield with . . . ," "As [this permanent] enters the battlefield . . . ," or "[This permanent] enters the battlefield as . . . " are replacement effects.
614.1d Continuous effects that read "[This permanent] enters the battlefield . . ." or "[Objects] enter the battlefield . . ." are replacement effects.
614.1e Effects that read "As [this permanent] is turned face up . . . ," are replacement effects.

Bolas's Citadel posted:

You may play the top card of your library. If you cast a spell this way, pay life equal to its converted mana cost rather than pay its mana cost

Look at the wording. It's an alternative cost. The reason alternative costs are optional is that most cards with them let you just cast the card normally, without paying its alternative cost. Bolas's Citadel is worded slightly differently because normally you CAN'T cast the top card of your library, so there's no normal cost to pay. However, if you have Bolas's Citadel and Future Sight in play, you can cast the top card of your library without paying life; you just pay the regular cost rather than the alternative cost.

Bolas's Citadel provides a static ability that lets you look at the top card of your library, a static ability that lets you play the top card of your library, and defines an alternative cost for doing so. That's what it does. It doesn't let you just cast the top card of your library like Future Sight does; it lets you play it if and only if you pay the specified alternative cost. And because it's an alternative cost that doesn't include X (because, again, what matters for this purpose is the effect that generates the alternative cost, not the card being cast with an alternative cost) Rule 107.3(b) kicks in and sets X=0. That's how it's always worked. The fact that the amount of life you pay for Bolas's Citadel varies with the size of the card being cast does not mean that it contains X. It just means that it varies. You wouldn't argue that you could cast a fireball, declare X=90000, then announce that you were using the alternative cost from Dream Halls to cast it. That wouldn't make sense. But it would logically follow from the argument you're making.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Ada posted:

You bolded the wrong part.

Citadel doesn't say "may" it says that you have to do it. It's not alternate, it's replacement.

I’ve explained this over and over and I don’t see how you aren’t getting it.
Rather means it’s an alternate cost. That’s it. Full stop. “Rather than pay this spell’s mana cost” means alternate cost, it’s as black and white as possible. Most, but not all, alternate costs include “may” because there’s a presumption that you can cast them for their regular cost. Bolas’s Citadel doesn’t, because you can’t cast the cards normally (as you can with variants like Future Sight), you can ONLY use the alternative cost.

It’s not a replacement effect. Those explicitly say “instead,” “as” or “skip.” If you don’t see those words, you’re not dealing with a replacement effect.

I judged Magic for years. I’ve judged everything from FNM to Grand Prix. I am telling you, in black and white, that the reason Bolas’s Citadel works the way it does is because it allows you to play cards from your deck by paying an alternative cost, as confirmed by the literal Rules Manager of Magic. You can choose to believe that they should have worded it differently based on your idiosyncratic reading of the comp rules, but you are wrong. The card is templated correctly for what it’s supposed to do.

e: also there is no replacement effect that changes how a spell is cast, to the best of my knowledge. That’s not how replacement effects work. They replace one event happening with another, they generally don’t modify how you perform actions. Trinisphere is not a replacement effect; Zombie Alchemist’s ability is.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 2, 2019

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Sickening posted:

War is making me think that modern horizons has a better chance to be really good. The last 3 standard sets have been good. The last masters set was the best ever. War is looking to be loving amazing.

They couldn't have made modern horizons poo poo right?

I will put money on the proposition that there is at least one card in Modern Horizons that will end up banned in the Modern format within two years, and I am lmaoing just thinking about it

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Gideon, Printer Carrier

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

draft chaff gonna draft chaff. it still leaves all of your opponent’s other creatures on the battlefield and the rest of your lands sitting in your deck. worthless, strictly worse than doom blade, 2/10 would not bang

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Gideon, Foot Enthusiast

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

story spoilers:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I love it when they blatantly print targeted-fix Legacy cards into Standard sets without even pretending that’s not what they’re doing. That card makes no sense to any non-enfranchised player.

Survives punishing fire too!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

also he’s a 2 mana 2/3 flyer lmbo. get hosed wasteland

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Oh good, I was just thinking that Mono-Red wasn't quite the biggest pain in my rear end imaginable.

it’s me, the RDW player who’s going to put 4 and 5 drops in my deck that have to connect with the opponent’s face in combat to deal damage

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

or you just do the same thing with narset. give her haste in one of many, many, many ways, swing and exile Omniscience, Enter the Infinite, Counterflux and Flusterstorm

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

little munchkin posted:

classic "dogshit in constructed but will ruin any game of limited it gets cast in" mythic design, great job wizards

mana's gonna be worse without gates so UGG is a bit more of a lift
then again dropping this guy lategame on a stalled board with active walkers is way more impactful then just running him out on 5

also he's a 5 mana 4/5 flampler

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

crushing canopy is ok sometimes so I imagine this card that reads “put target enchantment or creature with flying on the bottom of its owner’s library” might be better.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

C-Euro posted:

lol that owns

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

feather? I barely know ‘er

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

Sure they have Bolas and Lili doing things, but I don't feel like they've captured the trauma that would come with reverse-apotheosis.

Thanks for listening.

not to defend Magic’s story but the desire to reclaim that power is central to both characters’ motivations; it’s why lili signed the contract that drove her story and it’s bolas’s only goal. Literally since he reappeared Bolas has always been trying to somehow undo the mending for himself. It’s the one thing he cares about and it’s driven his every action from Aliara to the current arc. So it does kind of feel like they’re treating the mending with the appropriate amount of seriousness in-setting.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

real lore nerds know that feather is my girlfriend, who lives with me and likes evangelion

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

There our drake for the set. :grin:

16drake... the power flows through me... I am unstoppable!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

that seems like a pretty meh sorcery of the kind we’ve seen a lot of before. time to go post about it on the internet before reading its type line

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

also love how animate dead has a simple, grokkable text box in Alpha and then in Oracle it has a sprawling abomination that begins “When Animate Dead enters the battlefield, if it’s on the battlefield...”

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

two jaces, finally both vraska and emrakul can be happy

vraska is just gonna be twice as happy :wink:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

FYI the bad blue/black kavu mills because if it didn’t have another target it would fizzle if the creature died while it was on the stack

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Mcmagiyo, The Goon Sage

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

story prediction

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

tin can made man posted:

5color def means Niv is the new Guildpact or whatever. Weird that Ravnicans' reaction to "literally the second capital-d Dragon we've ever seen destroyed everything and everyone" is "make dragon 1 just in charge I guess"

there’s other dragons in Ravnica, though most of them are called hellkites for some reason. they come in a variety of flavors: skarrgan, utvara, tyrant, cool ranch etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Bond of Discipline's flavor text didn't make a joke about tax laws, WAR competing with Odyssey for worst flavor text on average.

get this guy out of here! get him out! take his coat! if you have to rough him up a little, i'll pay your legal costs.