Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

The only DCI number worth having is 42069.
My brain scan-parsed this as a Les Mis joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I think restore balance helps it a bit turn three board effect-wise, but I'm not a good enough player to figure out if it being a dead card without as foretold or like discarding cards against burn is too big a downside. Suspend ancestral, interaction, restore balance, crack ancestral would feel incredible the 1/100 games it'd happen, though.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Aww I was hoping to see what happened to modern with stone forge unbanned but ah well

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
The G 3/3 rampant growth opponents on etb seems like it could work somewhere?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

Doesn't that also combo with Devoted Druid for infinite mana?

Nah, this prevents you from paying the cost, like Melira, whereas vizier modifies the cost.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

The really dumb thing about this whole thing is that even if casual players show up to replace the competitive ones, they spend much less money than competitive ones.
They've been pretty consistent about saying that super casual players buying packs to mess around with at home make up the vast majority of magic's audience and income
Competitive magic and lgs players may be a great advertisement for them, but they stay alive on kids buying the 0 ev 3 pack blisters from toys-r-us or Walmart or whatever

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

At which point the burn player whips out their super secret tech of singleton sideboard Shatterstorm.

Shattering spree's replicated copies also get through

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
To be fair the counters interaction changed at about lorwyn I think? So they're maybe just a really old player

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
iirc I think it's because kids play remove soul as doom blade because of the art

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Star Man posted:

Why in the gently caress is Insidious Mist blue in the first place?

Just for fun/flavour I think - all the off-colour transforms mostly use mechanics that aren't too far off the front side's colour anyway

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

They're never going to make it because of ~branding~ but an unset all about cheating would be good fun

with a bunch of cards previewed by bertoncini

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

That's a rational number. Fractions can involve all sorts of numbers, not just integers.
This is a useless definition for a class given that literally any number can be expressed as a numerator of itself and a denominator of one. Just because you can have ratios of all sorts of numbers doesn't mean rational numbers don't specify integers.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
It works a lot better with auras and etbs, yeah.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
that one dude on mtgsalvation: "Actually since reprints aren't real cards destroying original print masterpieces is destroying something of limited supply with cultural value, like destroying paintings or some fuckourous analogy like that

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

ButtWolf posted:

ATTN SA judges:

I have a Boros Reckoner. Other player has 3 life and hits it with a lightning helix. They stay at 3 life or die? Resolutions are hard for me, I am a dumb
Yeah this was already answered but losing from being at 0 life can't happen in the middle of a spell or ability. Here's some more examples so you can figure it out in future.
Deflecting Palm: the return damage is a delayed trigger, so like Boros Reckoner ability triggers after Helix has finished resolving.
Shining Shoal: redirects the damage during the resolution of Helix - while your opponent is briefly at 0 life, the game doesn't check it until Helix has resolved, which means they go back to 3 life.
Thunderbreak Regent: this ability triggers when Helix is cast, so it resolves first, then before Helix starts resolving the game checks life totals and finds that your opponent is on 0 life, so they lose.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Archenteron posted:

How in the hell is Serra's Realm a 9 on that chart when it literally doesn't exist anymore?

The only 10 is Rabiah, which is ruled out by copyright stuff I think? So it's the least likely that isn't ruled out by Hasbro's legal advisors which seems fair.
E: Oh okay the mtg wiki has some links apparently it and Old Phyrexia are 9s because they could theoretically do a flashback.

is that good fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 28, 2017

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

This seems pretty good with perilous research, no clue if it's good enough though
E: Definitely pumped for someone to try it on MODO, screw up sequencing, and exile their hand plus two cards permanently though

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Well here's your obligatory unbeatable mythic that some 7-year-old is going to open 2 of and destroy you with at prerelease.

dies to el chupacabra is the new dies to doom blade

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Yeah the arguments I've seen against it are that it just utterly thrashes fair decks while not doing much against unfair decks. Like an interactive deck can maybe deal with a big secure or gearhulk but jace can drop, brainstorm, and probably either have or draw into backup for the same mana.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I'm still pissed that it used to have deathtouch but was changed in response to 2 cmc first response decks like gently caress did first response really need to get bumped to cmc 4

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Kinda late but the new art 25 masters whatever pack might be platinum emperion?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Why bother wasting time designing cards that are on their face either unplayable or totally broken?

Because if it's fun and only too strong because of cost they can just up the cmc in dev?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
did he ever actually write flavour text?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
My favourite part of this is people complaining about Maro, who didn't write the question and seemed to only have read the question once complaints started

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

ShaneB posted:

When is m25 spoiler week? I can't find the dates.

This is generally accurate-ish as a guideline I think https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/the-rumor-mill/673776-schedule-of-upcoming-releases-and-spoiler-seasons

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Tainen posted:

Article on Master sets moving forward. Basically saying that future master sets will focus on a theme instead of a format. M25's theme is... iconic cards...

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/future-masters-2018-02-22

quote:

However, I know there are other factors about the set many of you didn't find quite as great. [...] The name was misleading, as we intended for "iconic" to indicate iconic creatures, but—especially coming up on our 25th anniversary—it was widely interpreted by players to mean historically iconic cards.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
You're really underestimating how many mechanics are forms of kicker and/or split cards. It goes beyond the point of being a focused mechanic. Kicker should definitely stick to augmenting the same effect's power or nobody will ever be able to expect what it does.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Like the number crunch for M25 had its expected value at about dead on $10 excluding foils, so it's not as if it's valueless. Even most of the mythics being garbage kind of improves that reliability, they should probably just adjust for the fact that the actual value of low value cards for most people is actually about zero.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

DoctorOozy posted:

Hoses Deathshadow?

Exact opposite - it makes it a 13/13 until eot

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I'm pretty sure the land being a creature with all creature types is an effect. It stays as a creature, but can't tap for mana or turn itself into a creature again if that's relevant.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Concept: Karn, featuring Tron

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
They get an extra Elesh Norn every turn and start with 2, so your creatures have -4/-4 at the start and an extra -2/-2 every turn after. That also cuts out Morphs as an option. If you can untap Cavern of Souls or Boseiju somehow, you're probably home free. Skyscribing also kills them if you can get Platinum Angel out of the picture, but idk how you'd do that unless you can win some other way.
E: Cast triggers work? Can't find a useful one though.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Is there a way to give something Wither? Channel spirits still work, so Shinen of Life's Roar on a gigantic wither creature gets rid of a bunch of their poo poo.
E: Eldrazi Obligator works with the lands that break this if you have a way for them to become creatures that won't die.

is that good fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 28, 2018

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

evilweasel posted:

five mana for a sorcery speed blink is real bad, all the value is in the planeswalker part

late but I think the point is that you blink one of your planeswalkers to get 3 activations out of them on the turn you play it

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

myDad posted:

"Return it [...] at the beginning of the next end step."

lol fair I don't read properly it'd feel really bad to even reset loyalty with it because you lose out on an activation, christ

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Josu seems fun and I enjoy that if he and his crew swing you're probably immediately dead

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

I will be honest I don't get it but whatevs you do you

there's an addon that makes it look like people on the internet are constantly attributing random poo poo to skeleton hordes and it makes their arguments make as much sense while being much funnier so

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

sc4rs posted:

Many of the top 8 (myself included) have also been posting articles on Goblin Artisans. If you’re interested in GDS3 content there’s a ton there. Here’s the index page: http://goblinartisans.blogspot.com/2018/04/gds-3-index-page.html?m=1

This is good content thanks for the heads up and good luck with the challenges!

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Hellsau posted:

hey did anyone post these two cards yet

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Marketing New Brain posted:

Crucible and Scapeshift? They must have something spicy intended for standard. I'm really hesitant to believe they'd print these just for Modern, even though that's obviously where most of their value will come from.

Having to remember hexproof is dumb, it should just have gotten the Ojutai version.

I guess it's possible they are using core sets to reprint certain highly sought after rares at mythic? Seems weird given the amount of supplemental product that exists that could do that already.
The article says they're using core sets for reprints and format plants, yeah