Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Remember; lands in front, tap to the left.
Stop trying to trick him. You represent tapping by placing a bead on the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You make up time by sweeping all the beads off your cards instead of turning them individually when it's time to untap.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Make a Khans Cube!
Making a conspiracy draft simulator cube was my greatest idea in magic. That thing has put in some hours. It is divided into rarity so you can make your own packs and has 1 ea mythic, 2 rare, 4 uncommon, and 6 of each common. Comes out pretty accurate for a 4 person pod.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

i recall there being instances where, bc of how players word things, this is totally allowed for some reason

something like the players have to carefully word things and also do the pack trading outside or something, it's really dumb and I can't remember the exact words i read about it, i think it was a CFB article?
It's not too complicated. You can talk about intentionally drawing, you can talk about conceding. You can talk about sharing prizes, or for instance, offer to swap an invite for money should you win. You can never, ever, combine the two. Everyone will know that when you say "split the prize?" that means you're going to turn in the match slip that gets the two of you the most prize to share, but you have to decide the outcome of a game of magic by playing magic, not bargaining, not coin flip, nothing. So doing the "I'll share with you if you drop" is bribing the opponent to quit. Not cool. Just don't mix discussion of changing the match results by conceding with prize splitting and assuming you aren't super shady for some reason, you'll be fine.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 17, 2017

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
That might end up the only format where the sweep ability is relevant.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Are sets like eternal masters drafted, or are those the ones that are like $10 a booster?

Is buying a box of that set worth the investment?
They are meant to be drafted. I think they are worth the investment if you get multiple cases and fire off enough 30 dollar drafts. Personally, I would never consider them "worth the investment" because laddered CD's are much safer and higher yield and I don't want to run a card shop.

Most of them are great to draft, but conspiracy sets are cheaper and are more fun in a beer and pizza environment.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 7, 2017

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I have a hard enough time explaining how ghostly prison works with planeswalkers, this is going to be hell. I get that they want to push the gently caress out of planeswalkers with all these rules changes, but abandoning "it does what it says on the card" might be a dealbreaker for me honestly. "Any target" doesn't hit a land. You can hit jace through leyline. Play multiple jaces. Who cares, sell them mythics.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
lol at people thinking target means anything but removal of a creature. I have two cards in my hand. One says "destroy target land" one says "destroy any target." Golly, isn't it obvious that "destroy any target" can't hit a land? Oh wait, I just have to look at the date the card was printed and compare it with the latest rules update, so simple.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 8, 2017

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea, as soon as someone comes in and says "actually, if you look at the date on the card, that means it can't hit planeswalkers" I'm sure people will really enjoy sticking around to play a game that has more to do with gotcha internet rulings than what is written on the card. Real fun game you got there. Planeswalkers count as players would be a simple solution. Redirect damage is alright. Changing the definition of "any" to not include all things is a terrible answer.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

The Human Crouton posted:

Wouldn't "any target" mean you can cast the card at anything even if the effect wouldn't do anything? So if I wanted to bolt a land just because I wanted to cast bolt for some reason, I could. It just wouldn't do anything.
See, that's why i think "lighting bolt said any target" wasn't confusing to some people. You'd realize bolting their enchantment or whatever wouldn't do anything and it just wouldn't come up. However, bolt their forest (any target) in response to them casting living lands would be a smart play, as they couldn't use giant growth (target creature) to save their dude. There's a reason they specify now.

Those lands are sick nasty.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
That's a good fix I haven't thought of. Enemy means creature, player, or planeswalker an opponent controls. That's super easy to explain to new players, and fits with their expectations of the game. Sort of like how planeswalkers are esoteric until you put them in the context of them being helper wizards.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
They say L rarity, so they almost certainly occupy the land slot.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It was around the same time, so my memory is fuzzy, but either the tarkir dragonfury or the dragonshifted cards had holograms at every rarity.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

I just bought into modern with goblins yay! It's cheap, without blood moons, at least, and I can usually split in the last round at FNM with it. That's good enough at my shop to get a decent little payout.
Dragons shields are the gold standard. I double sleeve in goofy shiny sleeves from pre-releases and fire sales on the last set's and just replace the stupid things easily because of the second sleeve.

Not what you're asking about, but I loving love legacy goblins. You can tune the hell out of it to fit your meta, it's a nice toolbox deck. If you get a wild hair to pick up cheap poo poo like goblin lackey and friends, it should be an easy way to build into the format should you so choose someday. Duals and goblin settler (not everyone even plays it) are the expensive poo poo that doesn't also help modern goblins. I'd play a modern goblins build with aether vial, but I like where your deck is going and vial is worse in modern. I'm hurting for cavern of souls myself. Again, not too important in modern.

Anyway, I just like playing some goblins. I'll give modern goblins a shot and see what I can see. Kiki, Krenko, cavern of souls, vials, black splash for warren weirding, earwig squad, better 187 spells, are all things worth experimenting.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 10, 2017

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Cracking a box is fun for me as well, but I would never call it an investment.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Assuming no one has first strike, then pretty much. It's better to imagine it as the combat damage step than "combat resolving" but you understand when you can cast your combat trick.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
A good preventative for the butthurt is realizing that some match-ups are neigh un-winnable and as long as you do the best you can, the outcome is just how things shake out. This "any given Sunday" attitude doesn't help. Some decks will have a horrendous win-rate and that's OK if you temper your expectations. This mostly comes from lending decks to friends, and not wanting to set them up for failure by choosing the matchup. If I know the deck has a huge advantage over me, I'm playing to do well and having fun. If I give my friends decks that fold to me, there's no fun for anyone.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

The seller they are talking about in the video is MTG Mint Card. I have bought dozens of cards from them with no problem.

MTG Mint Card is an Asian company. Cards printed in Asia feel different and I'm almost positive that's why he thinks they are fake. Add in some casual racism about ordering from an Asian company and voila.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I no read gud.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
If you don't have the answer to the splinter twin combo on turn 4+, you lose the game. Twin also ran izzet colors, so it had tons of interaction and the best card selection in the format.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Oh, I'm not completely innocent, I was rather passive aggressive and snarky with him and he got pretty irritated with me.

If it had been anything other than a casual, free event, with anything even resembling rules enforcement, there's no way I would have let that fly.
As long as you aren't on cam, it should be legal. I used to use the beads tapping as an example of weird buckfuck things you can do within the rules. Like lands in front.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Don't think they'd make a mega-polymorph counterspell.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I do too. There was that lovely removal spell from khans block that was similar.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The first conspiracy was one of the best formats in magic. It had super important reprints. Stifle went from 35 to a dollar rare for instance. Also, vintage playable planeswalker. None of these things are true of un sets.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
My favorite format is Conspiracy draft. Draft effecting cards added depth to drafts that no other format offers. My favorite card is probably gifts, but it's really the entire gifts ungiven package.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Why does it even need text?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Sickening posted:

How are they going to be able to promote their stars if they don't get an advantage outside of skill?
They could let them see the cards before anyone else, so they can start brewing months in advance.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Cactrot posted:

Cool idea if it works, which it won't.

Watch it blow up in their face.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I would be surprised if there was any way other than Ascend to get the Blessing given Ascend is a keyword.
It would be impossible. It would have to be Ascend: control 10 or more permanents, because it has reminder text, not rules text.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

It would be very weird to keyword Ascend if there were a lot of other ways of getting Blessing.
That's what I was thinking. How many keywords can they possibly add for "getting blessing" without it becoming a much worse "morph, manifest, mega-morph" sort of set.

"Our new keywords are Ascend, Descend, Resend, and Defend. All of them are ways of getting blessing" would be heinous, so that's probably how it will work.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea, but monarch didn't have duke (you draw two cards at the beginning of your turn), king (your opponent discards 2 cards at the end of turn), prince (loot at end of turn). Each of those things will need its own text to do anything, so you either keyword it, or write it long form on the card. If that's the case, why does "ascend" have a specific rules meaning and not the myriad of ways to get blessed?

Edit: if blessing did something, it would say so on the cards that give you the blessing. There aren't cards that say "create a token of unknown properties" or "you get an emblem, open more packs to figure out what it does."

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 18, 2017

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
That was one of the big mistakes of conspiracy 2 they admitted to. Their justification was that every box had the reminder card and a crown.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
They really dropped the ball not including the most iconic card in magic: Hurloon Minotaur.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You got some Karn. I know they'll print another version of him should he get a card, but reprinting Karn Liberated would be a good faith display of their "planeswalkers stick around for multiple rotations, so price isn't so bad" bullshit.

Smashing Link posted:

Kamigawa has too much flavor not to revisit. Mechanics sucked and the kami were too weird but those are fixable.
Arcane isn't even parasitic compared to many recent mechanics. Spirits is actually a supported tribe. Go for it I say.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Change Splice to just be spells you can pay costs for to slap them onto other spells you're casting, not specifically Arcane spells.
Put Bushido back in, bring back the flips, but just make them transformed instead of that awkward upside down garbo. Also bring back Ninjutsu. Make a not poo poo Spirits Matter mechanic.
I'd like to see the planechase ninjas in a standard set for modern. Sweep and the "hold cards and don't play magic' mechanic need to never return.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Can he shut the gently caress up with this "world meet" poo poo? That card is butt.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Potomac Distro?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Was Blackmail ever a playable card? I like it when cards make players interact outside the typical axes of play.
I like it as a fun of in pox. It's pretty common to get them down to 3 cards by turn 3, sometimes turn 2. If you strip their land on turn 2, it's usually gg, where the normal 1 cmc discard wouldn't do.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
And creatures that tap for mana are a green/black mechanic, so clearly colonade should be a swamp. I hate the fart huffing circle jerk corporate culture of wotc on a normal day, but the great sycophant search is pathetic. gently caress creativity, or consistency, or anything else good for the game, read Mark Rosewater's blog; it's all there is to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Get a master's set my man. If that's extravagant, either of the conspiracy sets will do. Standard legal sets will be super boring compared to literal nostalgia sets made for drafting. Eternal masters is bonkers.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 23, 2018