Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

Eldrazi already gets to play the best cantrip in the format, they don't really need another card selection spell.

She's card advantage that dodges Wrath.

I don't think she works great in Eldrazi with how expensive most of the creatures are but I think that kind of deck is on the right track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/626187#online

Momma mia

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I have no idea why they didn't do it two days ago but good job wizards

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

So what decks are viable now or is it just Mardu and BG Constrictor?

I guess we'll all find out at the PT, I'm just curious how big Tier 1 gets now that Cat's gone.

Tier one will just be two or three decks because that's about all that can occupy that space in standard.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
INN-RTR was a good standard

Khans-Theros was a good standard

I would not say the same of anything since

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Yeah. Blood Moon is completely obnoxious and much more of a feel bad in legacy than Wasteland.

If you want to run 3-4 colour fetch bullshit be prepared to pay the price of progress

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

If 20% of the meta is control decks who's only wincon is Torrential Gearhulk...

They would still have manlands

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

black potus posted:

Cycling is really good and I wish it were evergreen.

It makes even the shittiest or most niche card so much better because it gives it a baseline value.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Wasteland is a good and fun card. You don't like legacy if you don't like the challenge of playing around wasteland.

Seriously being wastelocked sucks but those are the breaks. Modern could use wasteland.

This and also Daze and Force

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It shows you how dumb magic players are that that awful Gideon deck is actually having an impact on card prices. Guys... Saffron Olive decks are NEVER good.

BW Gidrange at least has a lot of matchups where it literally can't lose

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15374&d=293511

Dunno if this will be a continuing thing but I'm happy

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Siivola posted:

The infamous story cards Smuggler's Copter, Saheeli Rai and Felidar Guardian.

Gids is a pretty dang good example

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

keratinous scutes posted:

People who have been exposed to hepatitis will still have to pay.

When will Wizards start respecting the hepatitis community?

Also the crohns community

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

:bignews:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
As long as counter effects are good relative to the other effects in the format a control deck can likely exist

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

:allears:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

Hey all, so I started making that match-up matrix I mentioned a few pages ago. Here's the link. Any help or opinions would be much appreciated, I left comments on if you want to leave notes instead of making posts. I started adding a few numbers but some probably have to be revised, it's mostly based on guesswork/personal experience.

Basically the deck you have is the left column, the deck your opponent is playing is the top row, and the number corresponding to those is how good or bad of a match-up you'd expect. The numbers are how far off from an even match-up (a .5 winrate). I also am not sure what to use for the last two slots, I can add more than 8 total, but I don't want to get that number too high.

I'd just use the one that MTG Goldfish makes from gleaning MTGO results but they aren't allowed to publish that anymore! :argh:

Can you throw in Bant Company if possible?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That one actually black Mind Control from New Phyrexia

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Also cycling should be evergreen.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Maindeckable hate is a good thing because it stops game 1's from being impossible blowouts

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

black potus posted:

I talked to some TCG (not magic) designers about cycling being evergreen and their argument against was basically there's an implicit cost to putting words on cards and that cost outweighed the value for most players because most players don't want to cycle their cool card and so don't look at it as upside. I don't know that I buy this because part of that cost seems to be that it's not evergreen, and I don't know why you couldn't just stick it on various narrow answers, but there you go.

I actually do agree with this point because the idea of a card being cool because you have the option of throwing it away if you don't need it is a bit of a silly concept. It also tends to result in the non-cycling mode of the card being weakened so the card ends up less exciting than it might've been developed without cycling.

On the other hand gently caress it it makes the game so much better

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 5, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Randomness is garbage

Variance is garbage

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

It's so dumb that an extremely blue ability is primarily in blue!!!

It's almost like variance control shouldn't be in one colour's wheelhouse or something

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I want to start a Twitter campaign to yell at WotC to print Force and Wasteland in Modern

Also to free Stoneforge Mystic

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

It's co-poo-sion

I'll see myself out.

What a poo poo joke

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

whydirt posted:

Canyon Slough: "Black-red dual"

It's slew

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

At least we didn't have to sit through the legacy GP that an entirely new deck played by one of the best players in the world won!

But you're still going to lose to the Stormbreath/Gearhulk/Skysovereign/Glorybringer deck if they draw them. I think I've said this before but of the top 12 seats at the Kaladesh prerelease, I was one of 2 people who didn't have a Gearhulk, Skysovereign, Nissa, or Chandra. Even I had a Saheeli which was almost good.

Tell me about this entirely new deck Steve

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Sickening, you were asking about Bant Company and the matchup vs Death's Shadow a little while back. After playing some games and doing some more research I can say pretty confidently that Death's Shadow is one of the reasons the deck is doing so well right now.

Bant Company is super good against it, we have blockers for weeks and replacing most of their Bolts with Tarfires means we have enormous game against their removal suite. Post board we bring in Reflector Mage and Finks and the matchup just gets worse for them.

As long as Death's Shadow is good and Bolt is "bad" the deck is a really good option right now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
A basic literacy test should be mandatory before every round of magic played IMO

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

I don't get it.

It's anime chief

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Standard looks...fun?

Give it 3 weeks and it'll correct itself

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

it's horrible, but it's sweet

e: ya like sickening said, if you cast a lost legacy, the game ends. this deck is not getting there with flying banisher priest beats

The Drake Haven seems like a pretty fine plan B

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Ban standard

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Wizards sucks at all things non-card

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

Seriously, gently caress Marvel and gently caress WotC for thinking that grindy value bullshit is preferable to a real control deck existing.

e:

Sorry, anything with reactive answers in the form of counterspells and/or removal should be referred to as the dreaded "draw-go control" prison deck.

They would 100% call Marvel combo and clamp down on that angle

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I did tweak the deck so I could play legacy and that helps. I just hate that I can't have my Sol Ring and Balance :mad:

I guess what i was getting at was back in the day, Ray of Command and Swords was a cool combo because you got to abuse someone's creature for a turn and then get the life from it. Now it seems like because they aren't designed to trigger 4 other effects that deal 4 damage to your opponent, let you discard your hand and drawn a new one and create 4x 1/1 token creatures are actually are actually 4/4 because of another triggered effect, it isn't effective.

I feel like I'm trying to play checkers and everyone else is playing chess. And it feels that way because that is basically what is actually happening.

You should go look up comparable vintage decks so you can see the ones that still work more along the lines of what you want. StP is still a good card, Ray of Command isn't outside of draft in the formats in which its legal because it costs 4.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I hope he's actually castable this time

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly I'm ready as gently caress for 5 colour royal rainbow Bolas

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

boba fetacheese posted:

Uhhh first faeries deserves a 1 drop.

Unless they unban Recruiter get the gently caress in line behind Goblin's two drop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

That guy's dumb but gently caress off to your hole fadam