Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Under standard you should add a link to whatsinstandard.com the same way you link the banlists for the other formats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Traditional Games › Magic: The Gathering: 2, Description of Any Format: :lol:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Tales of Woe posted:

There's only a few commons I wouldn't ever want to put in my deck and the common creatures are strong across the board in interesting ways.

"We need bad cards to distinguish the good cards" is a dumb design philosophy and I'm glad that this set appears to not be packing boosters with 6-7 unplayable commons. Sealed looks pretty fun and I'm looking forward to prerelease.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Rigel posted:

If sacred cat had, say vigilance instead of lifelink, I don't think I ever play it unless I've got a zombie deck with a couple zombie lords and I'm just taking every zombie and embalm creature.

This is about as relevant as someone saying that counterspell would be a terrible card if it was a sorcery instead of an instant. Being able to get extra value from cards and paying mana in installments is very, very good. Chumping a big creature for two turns and gaining a small amount of life for so little mana is a very powerful effect. You don't need to "get there" with a card like Sacred Cat. It gives you a cheap, efficient way to get a few extra draw steps in a deck that wants it.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Rigel posted:

You didn't understand my point. I believed he was saying that chump blocking 2 times alone (without any other ability including lifelink) for 2 mana on installment was good. I disagreed, and insisted that lifelink (which can be abused with other cards) made the difference.

Ah sorry, I was reading that as "never play 1/1s in limited".

Yeah the lifelink is what makes the card along with embalm.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Cat isn't amazing but you're going to have one untapped land during a turn doing nothing a lot more often than two in limited. Having a cheap chump blocker in a grindy format is good, especially when it gains you small amounts of life.

From the perspective of the player that casts the cat it won't be amazing, but an opponent that wants to beat down through it is going to find it pretty annoying that two attacks with their best creature did nothing but gain their opponent two life.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Sickening posted:

Hmmm, what is hascon?

Nope.

Can't wait to go to a magic event where the players are the least-weird adults there.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Smashing Link posted:

They can get rid of the reserve list but it won't lead to an appreciable decrease in the cost of Vintage or Legacy staples. They will very carefully control their print runs and make anything super valuable a "Masterpiece". At the end of the day it will make very little difference for people trying to get into those formats just like Modern Masters has done gently caress all for Modern affordability.

What??? Masters sets have done wonders for prices of singles. The prices tend to go back up because more people buy into the formats and increase the demand.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

EatinCake posted:

I like the reserved list, as it ensures some cards from the past will always retain their value, and also isn't really a blocker on re-creating old cards.

The thing keeping old cards valuable is the fact that they are old and very, very few exist. Birds of Paradise is like $5 for an M12 printing but thousands for an Alpha/Beta copy.

Also WTF it's not a blocker in recreating old cards? That's the primary, explicitly-stated purpose of the reserved list - prevent reprints or functional reprints. Apparently a problem that has occurred multiple times in development is that they've created a card that is a 2/2 flying, first-strike that costs 1WW that they later realized they had to get rid of because it's a functional reprint of a reserved list card.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Cross-posted with the buy/sell thread: If anyone here is in the San Francisco or San Jose area, keep your ears open for someone who got their collection stolen, as it's up for sale here: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/clt/6095940211.html

My uncle owned a game shop that only had a foiled-out collection that would fit in a backpack.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Q: Am I insane?
A: Yes

currently 1-1

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 23, 2017

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

My only regret is that I've only won through combat damage so far. One person is gonna take a wild ride before the day is done.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Now rip it in half

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

TheMaestroso posted:

So, I've discovered Edifice of Authority is super good in a deck that's not constantly attacking. That's my pre-release report, thank you for listening.

I think that as the format goes on it's going to be a card that keeps going up in pick order. The fact that it's colorless means that pretty much any deck that isn't super aggressive will be happy to play one.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

It's probably also going give aggressive decks another reason to play cycling artifact removal in the main.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I'm glad the format that WotC doesn't seem to care about at all got a controversial ban and the format WotC has hitched their wagon to didn't get the ban that everyone both wanted and expected.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

With all the artifact hate in Amonkhet I don't think that Vehicle decks are still going to be able to go toe-to-toe with Saheeli decks. I'm pretty sure that the format is going to devolve into Saheeli/Cat decks and decks that try and fail to beat it.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Whole lotta bad opinions it today. Top ban was years overdue, and the handwringing in here about standard is just precious. :allears:

In other news they've tried fixing the go to combat shortcut:

https://blogs.magicjudges.org/telliott/2017/04/24/policy-changes-for-amonkhet/

How is complaining about standard still being bad handwringing? Does disliking something disqualify you from wanting it to get better?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

The dumbest part about not banning the cat combo is that 4-Color Saheeli is just Good_Shit.dec and everyone playing it would have a bunch of pieces for a bunch of different possible decks in the new meta. It's not like the rest of the cards in the deck are useless. Take out the instant win combo and 4-Color Saheeli is just a control/midrange deck that gums the board up with value but attacks poorly and spends most of its time spinning its wheels.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mcmagic posted:

I don't think this is true. Mardu is the goodstuff deck of this format. Sahelli plays garbage uncommons like Rouge Refiner, Servant of the Conduit and Whirler Virtuoso and both Saheeli and the Cat really suck on their own.

It's more that Saheeli decks are made up of pieces of other decks. You've got energy creators for Aetherworks marvel, you might play a few Gearhulks, and then you have the more controlling cards to draw the game out. If the cat got banned, Saheeli players would have a decent start on other decks in the format.

e:

80s James Hetfield posted:

Saheeli is beatable stop whining

Standard is like a pool filled with turds right now. Some of us would like to go swimming again at some point and telling us to just swim around them instead of whining that they aren't getting cleaned out doesn't change the fact that there are turds in the pool.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 26, 2017

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

TheMaestroso posted:

My cards don't see regular play, so whatever issue you have is irrelevant.

The reason you double sleeve is to protect against wear on the tops of your cards and to prevent liquid from getting on the cards if someone spills on your sleeves. The sideloading inner sleeves make it so that you might as well just single sleeve.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Alris posted:

In a world without a banlist, what would the most disgustingly brutal Modern deck look like?

Hypergenesis

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

No ban list modern would be really fun as a legacy light but it would really need force of will to deal with how fast decks would be.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Yeah, if you're going to go through the work of double-sleeving you might as well have it matter. Otherwise save yourself the effort and just single-sleeve.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Sickening posted:

Collected company and every other powerful cards in standard shouldn't be classified as mistakes. I feel like that is a poor way to look at it. Powerful new cards will always have a place in a the game. Its the much weaker cards on average they pair them with in a set that are the mistakes.

Yeah the lesson shouldn't be that powerful cards are bad or dangerous. It should be that making a ton of weak cards while Pushing These Cards In Particular That We Deem "Important" is bad and dumb.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Veyrall posted:

It's an entirely fair card in a standard lacking such swingy ETB triggers.

Yeah people that complained about Collected Company are often the same people who complained about Thoughtseize. The card itself is fine, it just had a bunch of stuff that already was good that pushed it over the edge. Spell Queller and Reflector Mage would have been in a UW deck with or without Collected Company in the same way Pack Rat was going to do work with or without Thoughtseize clearing the way.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It is kinda odd that they go on and on about making a format deep enough that they can't solve it themselves then seed cards that are head and shoulders above the rest. Like, do you want the rest of them to be eclipsed or what?

They want their shiny new card types to be played in tournaments or their friends writing story to get some of the spotlight. Also they don't want too many powerful cards below rare because that will ruin limited or something.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Eldrazi's main weakness is how inconsistent it can be. Sometimes you don't get any Temples and your Hierarch gets bolted T1 or sometimes your one big creature is a TKS and it gets Terminated right away. One or two of the new Nissa in the 75 is at least worth trying out to find a Displacer and Drowner faster for the late game.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't drooling a little.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

So you'd rather have new players be boring and unoriginal and miss out on cards they might end up loving and enjoy playing because someone pointed them to buy a tournament winning deck that 900 other people also play?

Other than a rare genius, no one is smarter than the collective knowledge of the collective of tournament players and aggregated tournament results. You need to learn the fundamentals of play patterns and deckbuilding before you can make effective brews.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

A big flaming stink posted:

i dont think he thought they were balanced since the cards were at different rarities. He just didn't realize how utterly useless lifegain is (would be in the game that had yet to exist)

E: one of the things I've often wondered about is how seemingly entrenched concepts like card advantage don't always translate game to game. Netrunner Android has a common Ancestral Recall, but it doesn't see play that much. Why doesn't such a card transfer over as well (and I know netrunner has different resources)?

MTG is a game where your hand gets anemic very quickly. If you started the game with a bigger hand, had a separate deck for your lands that you put on the battlefield in addition to drawing every turn, and every card in your deck was more or less the same in terms of power and situational value, card draw would be way less important. I don't know anything about Netrunner but if running out of stuff to do is not a problem that comes up a lot and different game actions are fairly interchangeable, then you don't really need to draw cards to find the effects you need or refill an empty hand as much.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 26, 2017

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

What can you play in legacy that doesnt have PW, Discard, Counters, Mill?

Elves

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

clamiam45 posted:

Doesn't elves play or at least sideboard thoughtseize?

Yeah they sideboard Thoughtseize and Cabal Therapy but lol if you think you're making it to a game 2 against someone that demands to be allowed to goldfish their bad deck.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

If you're going to complain about people playing the game and trying to win you might as well tell people that you'll only play if they start the game with zero cards and you start the game with a storm count of 10 with Tendrils in hand and 4 black floating. Or literally just transform into a toddler and demand that they let you win.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

b-b-but it's totally beatable you guys! stop whining everyone from casual to pro level that wondered why the card wasn't banned!

Thank loving god, looks like I'm playing some standard again.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I mean their logic doesn't make sense (of course new decks are going to be experimental and unoptimized and will lose) but w/e I'm proud they actually did it.

it's their excuse because they're not going to admit that it was everyone immediately going "wtf, you did a controversial ban of top in legacy but you can't even ban the thing everyone knows is breaking standard?" that made this happen

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

sit on my Facebook posted:

Uhhhh I think you'll find that this was an ADDENDUM and not an emergency ban ok guys

that's another funny part

It's your game WotC stop pretending there are rules that surround what you're allowed to ban, print, etc. You can do literally whatever you want with your own property and the only thing stopping you is yourself.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

whateverfor posted:

Remember that Wizards has much better MTGO data than they show us, including win percentages not just per deck but per matchup. It's totally possible to see enough data in two days to realize Copycat is even better than before, especially in the Mardu matchup.

That being said it's inexcusable they didn't ban Guardian Monday. They should have just banned it with Emrakul and Copter avoiding this whole mess, but better late than never.

I mean goons even predicted that Copycat was going to get even better now that it had access to so much more efficient artifact removal to deal with it's one challenger, Vehicles.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

cheetah7071 posted:

Was wizards ever good at making sets or was the perceived goodness just a combination of the pre-internet world and dumb luck?

I started playing in Khans block and it owned so yes.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Niton posted:

Set quality has always been pretty hit-or-miss, we're just looking at it from the perspective of a pair of high profile failures (Gideon & Cat Combo) rather than the period's successes (a bunch of fun limited formats, actual breath breathed into older formats).

Gideon isn't even really that terrible. They just refuse to reprint Hero's Downfall which would have made even Copycat less of a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Some dude is on the magic milwaukee facebook page right now complaining that WotC banned another one of his decks and when he got replies saying "everyone and their dog expected this ban to happen" he responded that saying that is "victim blaming" :lol:

e:

araeris posted:

I was in the midst of sleeving up a turbofog deck when I heard the news.

What gimmick deck am I gonna play now?

that deck probably will still be just fine, vehicles isn't going anywhere