Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Now that I've actually read the OP for the first time, you should probably add Cockatrice and xmage over Apprentice(does anyone still use Apprentice?) in the "Digital Versions" subheading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BJPaskoff posted:

I researched other programs and none of them seemed like they were still being actively worked on, so I didn't include them. The official Cockatrice site said they got a warning letter from WotC and decided it was better to shut it all down. But I guess if people are still using it, it's just the old engine with unofficial patches that's being passed around via torrents?

I have no idea on cockatrice but xmage is definitely being worked on, I DLed a patch last night that probably had to do with Amonkhet and most matches in the occasional goon tournament are played on it.

E: The program is actually trash but it's free and has rules enforcement and my understanding is that it's only slightly worse than modo, so :shrug:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

This title is bad because I can't imagine a magic player ever getting a clue

have you considered casting thraben inspector

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

When did they make her specist?

In her original Zendikar printing she was elf centric and supposedly in story she thought elves were better than everyone else. Then she vanished from the story for like 6 years before popping up as a hippie.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Death Bot posted:

Breaching Hippocamp limited all star

At the Mirrodin Beseiged prerelease, I ran into a Viridian Emissary in one of the games and commented on how insane the card was.

Turns out it's a lot worse once you know that it doesn't have infect :v:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

There were also Continuous Artifacts! It was basically just a mistake.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sickening posted:

Hmmm, what is hascon?

Nope.

just scroll down a bit and you will find the representation of our game that proves it's a centerpiece at the mighty hascon

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

What's an iconic Sphinx?

not close

E: I guess Sharuum might be kind of close because edh, but consecrated is also great in edh

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Ironic Masters, featuring the return of white borders and 7th Edition art

7th edition wrath is great and I'll knife fight anyone who says otherwise

Most other 7th edition art, not so much

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Shivan Dragon would be an okay open if they kept Melissa Benson's art and not the generic gently caress dragon they've used since what, Sixth Edition?

I just want a Nicol Bolas reprint with him reading a book again instead of whatever the gently caress they did in that FTV set.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem with bringing back Nipple Bolas is that he became an iconic character in modern MTG lore, so they have a style guide related to him that doesn't match the original artwork.

That's fine, I just want him reading like the scholarly dragon he is, instead of roaring at some poor bird or whatever is going on in the FTV art.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Shivan Dragon would have been a very good, but not the best, uncommon in most recent sets imo

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

uninverted posted:

I'm very excited to open reprints of iconic cards from Magic's history such as fulminator mage and mishra's bauble this winter.

Don't worry, they'll reprint Urza's Bauble instead

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

The reserved list used to allow for foil printings of the cards. Then they changed it because ???

Because their lawyers said they might get sued.

Same reason we won't see another card as similar to a reserved card as reverberate, their lawyers also said something about that.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

YggdrasilTM posted:

Eh, who cares.
Vintage is dumb format and Legacy is more a cluster of overpowered cards surviving in a self perpetuating bubble only because no real player cares enough to break it.
The reseverd list is dumb, but I'm not exactly disappointed.

Have you ever played vintage? I don't mean in paper because I assume you don't have the price of a car to plop down on a deck, but I've played like a dozen matches of vintage on xmage and most of the games have actually been really fun. Vintage blue mirrors are pretty hard and generally don't come down to "who slammed the turn 1 jace."

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think Shivan Dragon at uncommon is straight up a good idea in a nostalgia set

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Balon posted:

My pool is 2 Archfiend of Ilfinir and 2 UB cycling lands. Promo is the black curse - bleh.

The black curse doesn't seem bad to me and LSV gave it a good review in his set review iirc

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Siivola posted:

Went 1-2-2 with a durdly black-green midrange deck with no real bombs. Everyone was very nice. :shobon:

Do you have your pool still? You can post it in here or in the fairly moribund Limited thread if you want a deckbuilding critique.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Nothing in particular, more of a general curiosity. For what it's worth, I'm not a big fan of the white splash here. Impeccable timing is a pretty mediocre card. Prepare to Fight and Ahn-Crop Champion are almost certainly very good cards, but the problem is that tricks tend to be better in the early game(when you may be missing your splash color), and most of the reason a card like the Champion is going to be good is because it is a 4 mana 4/4, which is less good if you land it on like turn 5 or 6.

Speaking of which, Shimmering Grotto/Painted Bluffs is generally not a good card because it makes your spells cost one more. Mostly though, I'd try to get away from the splash because I don't think the extra power is likely worth the extra mana inconsistency, but it's hard to tell without seeing what else you have available.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Currently 2-1, Rhonas is busted. Hepatra probably isn't busted but she's both very good and super fun. Also I don't think any of my opponents were adding cards to their sealed decks but I never do so maybe I'm just gullible

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Went 3-1 at the prerelease. I don't know if anyone cares but you're getting a full tournament report anyway

Rest of pool: https://imgur.com/a/TrrzP
Thoughts on deck:
- Rhonas is insane. Shocking, I know.
- I wasn't sure how good Hepatra was, but she's actually also insane. Every time I drew her she made me 3 snakes before she was killed.
- Splendid Agony is pretty good in general, but even better with Hepatra. If you put the counters on 2 dudes you get 2 snakes.
- Oracle's Vault was...Okay. It's a slow card drawing engine which does slow card drawing engine things, winning long games but useless in short ones. It won me one game singlehandedly, was useless in another, and was solid in a third.
- Crocodile of the Crossing was even better than I expected, but that might be because I drew it with Rhonas a lot and Rhonas into Crocodile is gross.
- Quarry Hauler was a bit worse than I expected, a lot of the times I played it it got me no value. Still fine obviously.
My deck basically built itself outside of the last few cards, the only interesting decisions were whether to splash Cut to Ribbons and 16 or 17 land. If I had even a single piece of playable fixing I probably would have splashed Cut; since I didn't, I decided it wasn't worth it. I think this is usually going to be a 17 land format but I thought I didn't have enough mana sinks since I had no embalm. In addition, I have 2 mana dorks and some cyclers. In retrospect, that was quite possibly wrong with Gravedigger and Vault, but I think it's close.

M1g1(u/r): my opponent got stuck on 3 mountains. I mulliganed into turn 4 Rhonas turn 5 Crocodile.
G2: this one went long. Saddest play was Nevering a 2 mana 2/1 so I could Return opp's 3/2 embalm flier. Eventually I drew Oracle's Vault which drew me like 5 cards, and then eventually after that I drew Rhonas, but Vault had really done the heavy lifting by then.
M2g1(w/b zombies): I got stuck on 2 land until turn 5, but Hepatra actually gave me a real chance to be in it by making me 3 snakes once I finally got my third land. Unfortunately I forgot Lord of the Accursed gives zombies menace because I'm bad at Magic, and let him activate it after casting the make 3 zombies card. I killed it after that but the damage, quite literally, had already been done and I died a few turns later.
M2g2: I basically got tempoed out by Binding Mummy's, the wb uncommon, cursed Minotaur, and other miscellaneous cards. Multiple Binding Mummy's is really good and his deck was neat. I sided in the fog and it was actually fine, but not good enough.
M3g1(Jund): opponent was manascrewed. I was kind of flooded, but Ornery Kudu did literally 15 damage while he discarded every turn.
M3g2: Opponent played various giant things while I played various less giant things. At one point he put the Unstable Mutation on a Grim Strider and attacked with that, a 4/5, and an exerted Emberhorn Minotaur. I blocked the Strider with a Doomed Dissenter and triple blocked the 4/5 with a Cursed Minotaur, an Ornery Kudu, and some other similarly sized creature, which surprised him. He had a Splendid Agony, but that meant his 4/5 still died. Over blocking can be pretty good. I was able to eventually stabilize, play an Oracle's Vault and Hepatra, and win not long after that.
M4g1(WBR stuff): Both of us curved out decently, but then he cast an Angel of Sanctions. I didn't draw much and then I lost. Angel of Sanctions is really good, try not to be too surprised. He had several embalm dudes including the angel so I sided in Scarab Feast, because I figured I might be able to get some embalm dudes (mostly the angel), and if not it cycles cheaply.
M4g2: his draw was pretty good, curving Doomed Dissenter into Plague Belcher with a solid mix of lands and spells. My draw was even better, with Festering Mummy into Rhonas into Crocodile of the Crossing with similarly solid backup. I Unburdened away his fifth land but he never drew Angel of Sanctions anyway. Rhonas: still broken in limited.
M4g3: I kept a mediocre hand while he mulliganed to 5. I played some random 3 drops and ripped a Crocodile of the Crossing on turn 5 and he just didn't have enough to deal with it because, well, mull to 5.

Won 5 packs, haven't opened them. Set was fun.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 24, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Edifice of Authority, in addition to basically being a dick joke, is pretty close to Icy Manipulator. Icy is good.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Pyramid is insane but I think the monuments are pretty unplayable. The whole cycle.

I missed this post but I'm going to need an explanation here because Pyramid looks insanely unplayable to me.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mark Rosewater posted:

Grave Scrabbler didn't fit with how we were doing madness in Shadows over Innistrad block (and was a little stronger than we wanted).

it's okay guys, we've been saved from the mighty grave scrabbler http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/amonkhet-talking-part-1-2017-04-24

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Smashing Link posted:

I want to win with an old-school blue permission deck that wins with Misthollow Griffin cast from exile after I RFG it to pay for Misdirection. I know it's a bad idea.

I have good news for you, there's a midrange deck that does that

Well I mean, it actually kills with Walking Ballista, but it still does stuff like that

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15291&d=292949&f=LE

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

80s James Hetfield posted:

Why in the gently caress is Thorn of the Black Rose a $12.00 card on MODO. Palace Sentinels $4.60?!

I don't play modo but you can only open them from treasure chests I think

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hellsau posted:

I'd be willing to bet that a majority of good posts from this thread are actually just copy/pastes from MTGs.

0/0 isn't a majority

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Siivola posted:

For those who care (you might not), this week's story is pretty bad. :negative:

makes a good case for Nissa being blue, though

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's crazy how universal it is--players think "if I have a bazillion life, I can't lose!" and so load up on cards that gain them life, then are shocked when they just lose anyways. I think that part of it is also because they don't think about whether cards affect "the board" yet, so they don't realize that the life gain doesn't help them win or turn a losing situation around, it just delays the loss.

If it makes you feel better, Richard Garfield made the same mistake when he made the white boon in Alpha gain 3 life for 1 mana, and thought that'd be on par with drawing 3 cards, doing 3 damage, or getting 3 mana.

I distinctly remember as a small child back in the late 90s, I was getting attacked by a bunch of creatures and was going to lose all my creatures by blocking because duh, can't lose life points, if you lose them all you lose the game. Then I was like "hey wait a minute, if I only block some creatures then I'll have creatures around to block his other guys next turn :aaaaa:" That was a big moment for me.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

St0rmD posted:

I've often wondered about this cycle and what other options white might have had for a gain three fit one mana. How busted would three tokens or +1 counters for a white have been? What other white effects could have replaced healing salve?

+1/+1(or +1/+0) counters weren't white in alpha, they were actually in like every other color. Tokens also existed but were only created by The Hive(check out that text box, by the way) which I'm told was considered one of the best cards in the game back then because it gets you a creature every turn dude, that's so good!! I think white only really started to claim that space with Kjeldoran Outpost in Alliances. They had token-making in Fallen Empires but really so did everyone else.

Alpha had really powerful color hate so I guess something like "destroy 3 red or black permanents" wouldn't be out of the question :v:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

80s James Hetfield posted:

What can you play in legacy that doesnt have PW, Discard, Counters, Mill?

any deck that isn't blue or black. In addition to Elves and Burn Gideon AoZ is nowhere near essential in D&T

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Star Man posted:

Translation: bgh nr 20min no lag.

Mill is also a really weird thing to include on that list. It's like someone said bgh nr20 no lag no scouts

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Star Man posted:

lol like people scouted in 2000

I meant the unit

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

Should I know who mfcrocker is?

he's a dude who posts in this thread I think

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Mana burn was a gotcha mechanic that really didn't add anything to the game. The only design space was used with that one card that gave you mana during each upkeep.

Braid of Fire is still a cool design. The design actually ruined by the death of mana burn is Spectral Searchlight, but the card is still fine.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AceClown posted:

Those 3 "holes" and the angel that kinda looks like Emmy are going to be the 3 titans as depicted by those statues on that one card aren't they

Last week they basically said that there are 3 missing Gods on amonkhet so it's probably those

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AceClown posted:

Yeah these ones

No idea how they will bring them back or tie all that up but I would not for one second be surprised if WotC did a stupid thing and brought eldrazi in to Hour

I don't think it fits with the way they've done things or with the story thus far so I think it's unlikely. Could be wrong, though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Religionchat seems way more interesting

Can someone explain monophosytism to me, I still don't understand the difference between Catholicism and them that started leading to the schism

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Anyone know why the Brewhaus is locked?

there's a new one https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818520

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't enjoy SaffronOlive's content and I solve that by not watching his content

I unironically hope that the people who enjoy it watch it and continue to enjoy