Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Most of the complexity in Amonkhet seems to come from knowing how best to use the cards, which is different from the mechanics themselves being difficult to understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

mandatory lesbian posted:

in a just and good world shivan dragon is a common

This just reminds me of how dumb it was that the creative team made the dragons plane one where there were no baby or young dragons so there could only be C/U dragon cards through finding corner case drawbacks and other silliness.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Star Man posted:

There is one dragon in Shards of Alara block that is uncommon. The rest are all rares or mythic rares. And all dragons in Onslaught block are rare, even though Scourge pushes a dragon tribe.

Scourge was only made a dragon themed set after the fact. The original design was "cmc matters" and the dragon flavor was added afterward.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 20, 2017

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Yeah somewhere along the way the art direction seems to have gone from getting art that looks good at 1"x2" versus art designed to look cool as a desktop wallpaper.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I'm pretty sure it's the same template and ruling as the new O-Ring, Banishing Light and similar newer cards.

Efb

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Caleb D is steaming a sick Boros aggro deck on Twitch right now.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Collected Company should have raised flags in R&D for sure. It's better than Fact or Fiction and that's a card that is Too Good For Standard as seen by a bunch of similar but worse cards coming out of the pipeline in recent years. If nothing else it should have been a sorcery instead of an instant.

Emrakul is easier to forgive since it still costs 8-9 mana even with a high delirium count.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Richard Garfield?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

If this is how they're going to do things, they should just move the baseline B/R announcements back a week after the prerelease/release on MTGO.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Scry by itself would be fine as the evergreen draw smoothing mechanic if they'd put it on more than handful of (almost nearly all blue) cards each set.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Marketing New Brain posted:

They also made the majority of the Aftermath cards well short of constructed playable.

This is true of almost every block mechanic though.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Scry is more than enough for being the evergreen draw smoothing mechanic. WotC just refuses to use it on more than a couple nonblue cards each set.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Maro has said that they intentionally designed Theros in a way to leave the door open for a Rome-themed set.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Canyon Slough: "Black-red dual"

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Why bring in the Fumigates at all if you're not going to cast them in what appears to be a tailor made board state for them?

Edit: Yeah I can see wanting to play around Transgress, but in that case just don't sideboard and dilute your deck.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

That's awesome!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

That's usually called a Stack or Type 4, I believe.

Efb

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

:salt: :salt: :salt:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

It's also a 6-drop instead of a 4-drop.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

If I had to guess, we won't get yearly core sets in the M** style, but something more like Magic Origins printed once per rotation cycle so that there's a set not tied to one specific plane that can hold reprints more easily.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I believe the official line is that 1-drop dorks prevent them from having as strong of 3-drops as they would otherwise. Having them in Standard also usually means that 2-drop variants will almost never see play as being one mana cheaper is nearly always better than whatever side benefit the more expensive dorks bring.

"Too powerful for Standard" doesn't always mean that the card breaks games, just that it constrains other designs enough that the trade-off isn't worth it.

I don't think WotC has said Duress is too good, and I imagine its absence is more about having an ebb and flow of effect power levels than a one-way neutering of discard.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Shovelmint posted:

Afflict 10 seems better than unblockable in a world you can force your opponent to block.

It's time to ban Lure.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Elyv posted:

if unstable has a gotcha-like mechanic in there then...I'll be unhappy, I guess

Maro has said the gotcha mechanic was bad because it discouraged talking during the game

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Elyv posted:

also at last, Pygmy Allosaurus's type will be dinosaur again instead of this "Lizard" BS

Yup, here's a small dinosaur hanging out among the glaciers and can glide through swamps

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Even though Ixalan comes out first, it doesn't have a card number associated with it like Dominaria. I wonder if it was left out accidentally or if there's some gimmick like dual face cards giving it some extra?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

They won't change Kamigawa flip cards into dual face cards because WotC doesn't do functional errata like that. That said, I could see them mixing in flip cards and DFC in this just because they're both hard to fit into traditional reprint settings.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Elyv posted:

Also it's a rare for some reason

Just Ice Age things

People love to gripe about bad design in current sets, but Ice Age is a really bad set by almost any measurement. Nostalgia for a few key cards like Necropotence gives it a much better rep than it deserves.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

God bless that tiny excitable man

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

It wouldn't be that hard to have a single card from each set, assuming some have to be common draft fodder anyway.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

AFAIK, both original unsets were designed entirely by Maro, with him just filling things in with one-ofs from other folks in R&D. Any sort of actual design and development process should make this third set much more playable.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Bolt would be a pushed card in Standard, but I agree with Sickening that the power creep in creature size over the last couple years likely makes it just really good instead of format warping.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Also if we're getting Lightning Bolt back in Standard, I'd assume it'd be in Dominaria if anywhere.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

WotC wouldn't do a planned leak for Ixalan the day before Hour of Devastation spoilers start.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Just another big leak under the Trump administration

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Marketing New Brain posted:

Second set is notorious for slowing the format down, wouldn't be surprised if it was quite good.

Maybe, but afflict seems to punish blocking much like exert did, so I wouldn't be surprised if the combined format was still aggressive.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I think you meant to link this video instead.

https://youtu.be/TYsvH9cj66M

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

If only there were a cat in Standard with a blink effect attached...

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I can't figure out how to make a direct link from my phone, but there are a bunch of new commons shown on Magic's FB page.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Attorney at Funk posted:

Shadow of Doubt does the same thing with less work and that effect has only seen rare play in Modern.

Shadow of Doubt doesn't have a flying creature mode as a generic backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

If you spend 44k on a box, you can probably also pay to have it shipped with at least partial insurance, I would think?