Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Hey guys, could I get a quick set ID on this Disenchant? I'm like 90% sure it's Beta, but I seriously can't tell the difference between the corners on Alpha / Beta from just a picture and I don't ever see them in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

kingcobweb posted:

It's Beta

Telling the difference between corners IRL is super easy: put it on top of a stack of cards that aren't from Alpha. If the corners match, it's Beta

:tipshat: Thanks!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Are Arclight Phoenixes likely to get any cheaper any time soon? Thinking about putting together that modern Phoenix deck because it looks fun and it's the only thing that isn't like 1000+ dollars, but I don't want to pick up any Phoenixes if the price is gonna tank when they rotate. Just not sure how that usually plays out with a card that sees pretty solid play in another format.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

The goblin art owns, glad to see they seem to be unclenching a bit and letting in some slightly weirder art. Still miss all the goofy / abstract stuff like Foglio / Tucker used to do. Even Tedin seemed to have gotten toned down after a while.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

drat, Hogaak prices are tanking fast, all the down to $7 now, which honestly sounds a little cheap for how good it is. Also weird that all the other cards it spiked haven't really gone down much at all.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I'm glad my pre-order of them a 2 bucks each got through because the deck looks fun as hell, but now I'm kinda mad at myself for not dumping them when they hit like $15 each and rebuying them now, since the price dropping out like this seems pretty obvious in retrospect.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Shadow225 posted:

i think you're okay not going through the time and effort of specing and then shipping cards for 20 bucks profit

I mean yeah but also my funbucks fund is perpetually tight and spending an hour each weekend flipping poo poo on ebay paid for 100% of my modern deck when I was in school so it still makes me wince a little.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

There's a cool shop here that does Standard, Modern, proxy-friendly Legacy, and even Pauper and has solid turnout, but it's an hour away and so playing there ends up being like a 6+ hour commitment and I just never have that kind of time anymore, which sucks because I vastly prefer playing paper to digital.

The only shop close to me is exclusively Standard and draft, which is pretty boring right now. I asked them if they had ever tried to do Modern and they said they were "looking into it" but nothing ever came of that so vOv

edit: I forgot they also do a Commander league, which sounds fun in theory but since they provide prize support it just turns it into a bunch of annoying min-max powergaming garbage

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 22, 2019

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Is anyone even buying those at $8.50 or is it just a bunch of speculators buying them up and seeing who blinks first before everyone starts dumping them back into the market and undercutting each other in a race back to the bottom

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Man, trying out this mono-red deck because its cheap and I already had 90% of the pieces laying around, but I do not understand how this is a significant part of the standard meta. It feels like it just auto-scoops to those U/B/W decks, which are everywhere. What exactly is this deck good against aside from other mono-red decks, assuming you draw better than they do?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I can't imagine Historic ever taking off in paper. It's just gonna piss off all the Modern players who spent a used car's worth of money on a mana base they can't use in the format, and I can't see any way that it doesn't end up just being "Teferis: The Format" which probably isn't super exciting to people that are burned out on this standard meta.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Tulul posted:

This looks sweet.

Top down means they start from the flavor of the world and work down, like Innistrad was classic horror-world. Bottom up means they start with mechanics and make a world for it, like Ravnica was made for the color pairs.

Dunno if it was intentional or not but that first bit of art instantly reminded me of Bocklin's "Isle of the Dead."

It's not specifically an Arthurian reference as far as I know, but I guess it's in the same wheelhouse.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

On the plus side, paper magic tournament support drying up is definitely having a negative effect on paper card prices. Lots of people unloading and undercutting each other now. I'll be curious to see where it settles - it doesn't seem like *that* much of a card's value should be linked to the existence of high-level tourneys with prize support, but maybe that's not true.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

The first card I ever owned was a Lord of the Pit that one of my dad's army buddies gave me because I thought it looked cool and he was selling a giant plastic storage crate full of loose cards at a yard sale before he deployed. I had no idea what Magic even was and didn't actually play the game until a few years later. Once I did I put that Lord of the Pit in everything, though, and mono-black has been my favorite archetype ever since. I lost that card a long time ago but I bought another one that just hangs out in my binder now.

Also remembering that kinda makes me mad in hindsight because I could have bought that dude's entire storage crate full of cards for like a hundred bucks back then and it would probably be worth enough to buy a house with now. Nobody expected the game to last back then and there's no way those cards would have made it intact through my entire childhood anyway, but still.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Was considering finally getting into modern since I've been slowly acquiring pieces of various decks through trades but I'm kinda glad I didn't commit because I'd be pretty pissed if I spent a month's rent on a deck only for it to become literally unplayable overnight lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Yeah I mean don't get me wrong, this seems like it will hopefully make for a healthier format and all, but I definitely don't have the disposable income to basically flush a grand down the toilet when a ban gets announced. Especially since not only is it probably going to be impossible for people to sell out of their decks for anything close to what they bought in for, but they're also gonna have to invest probably that same amount in a totally different deck.

Which I guess is the universe telling me to stick to draft and standard.