Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

shootforit posted:

Other people had told me the same thing. Didn’t think it would be that big of a deal.

Then does anyone know where to get sleeves with the official card back art on them? I have some sleeves that mimic the card back really well, but it’s the yellow ‘magic’ font instead of blue, and they suuuuuck for shuffling.

I think Ultra-Pro makes them, but the one time I bought some they were terrible for shuffling, and possibly worse than the sleeves you mentioned. I would just go for Matte Dragon Shields. They're very high quality, and actually shuffle decently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

When I saw that Hogaak was 20% of the field going into the MC, I wasn't terribly happy. Then I remembered, "It's only the beginning of the tournament, no games have been played yet. Maybe the deck will fall flat on it's face and post a really bad conversion rate for day 2". Nooope. At least there was only one in the top 8? I guess???

When BfB was banned, I was worried that they hadn't done enough to the deck, especially since they didn't touch any of the enablers, like Faithless Looting (plz ban it) or stitcher's supplier. I had already lost plenty of games where the Hogaak player found 0 copies of BfB and still had me dead on board on turn 3, so removing BfB only took away the really bullshit turn 2 kill. Guess I was right.

My favorite part about this whole mess is that in a discord when MH first came out, someone mentioned the Hogaak deck and how it could consistently goldfish a turn 3 kill. I doubted the deck, saying something like 'how does it beat graveyard hate? will it actually turn the goldfish kills into game wins?'. And now, 2 months later, I want another card banned from the deck (in addition to just wanting Faithless Looting banned for the better part of a year).

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

C-Euro posted:

Goyfs were getting cheaper last time I checked though, though I'm sure the price is going to tick back up now that Jund put up results in a large event.

Goyfs have been in a weird place ever since fatal push was printed. Push being a clean 1 mana answer to Goyf is why it hasn't been as big of a player in modern in recent years, and I really wouldn't want to play it if I knew a lot of Push decks were also running around. My first impression was that I wouldn't want to run Goyf in a meta where people are packing mainboard graveyard hate to beat Hogaak, but I guess not. I guess the reason that goyf has been doing better recently is that Path and Bolt are way better the Push right now, neither of which answer a goyf cleanly.

My guess is that once the format adjusts back to one where fatal push is the premier removal spell (like when wizards does something about hogaak cough cough, goyf will get a lot worse again.

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

DangerDongs posted:

I still think you guys all heralding the end of paper magic are over-reacting. Wizards will not stop printing master sets, and people will still go to Gran Prix events for the fun of it.

Ye, there are tons of people who play magic who will never step into an LGS or visit channel fireball/sch/whatever that the new judge system trash fire will never affect.

This whole thing is a loving mess though.

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

A big flaming stink posted:

i have to imagine if nothing else this will be devastating to the number of active L1s, to say nothing of future recruitment of them.

Yep. Can confirm. I wanted to get certified as a level 1 judge before, just for the fun of it and also because I had a knack for the rules. Now though? Nope.

I also do have a friend who's a level 1 now, who was already considering dropping certification before the announcement. I haven't heard his reaction yet, but I'm pretty certain he's dropping it now.

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Magic as a whole was way closer to dying from BFoZ block to Kaladesh block, during that string of really bad standard formats. Yes, the new judge academy is bad and lovely for paper tournament players and absolutely reeks of WotC or Hasbro trying to dodge paying 26 years worth of wages for judges, but there are a ton of players out there this won't affect.

Sampatrick posted:

WotC doesn't want to kill of Modern because Hasbro specifically called out Modern Horizons as one of the growth driving products during their earnings report. I have literally no idea what their goal actually is though.
Wizards, and especially Hasbro wouldn't want to kill off paper magic when it (and MTGO) are the only way to play modern (once modern arrives on arena though...). The whole JA thing is likely an attempt to avoid paying 26 years of wages and otherwise make sure judges aren't considered employees.

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

They'd turn that "lonely sandbar" into a "polluted mire" before you could tap the sol ring and raze them.

I'd rather drown them in "fetid pools" by which I mean drowning them.

Hasbro's executives have long deserved to be cast down. Someone needs to go for their throats before Magic actually does pays the ultimate price.

Doom Blade pun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

The only really fair faithless looting deck was Mardu Pyromancer, and I am sad to see that go. But I've had enough of phoenix, hogaak, bridgevine, or whatever popping up whenever they mad a strong graveyard design, so banning faithless looting was the right thing imo.