Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Controversial take: they could have printed planeswalkers who are not Bolas, but are also not Standard's third copy of each member of the Jacetice League.

Yes we all want more of such memorable characters and Arlinn Kord and Dovin Baan and Saheeli Rai.

But seriously though, Sorin Nahiri and ObNix are ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah the story this week was OK.

That's because it was written by Kelley this week who is one of their two or three writers with actual talent.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

HASCON—Hasbro's first-ever convention—is coming September 8–10 to Providence, Rhode Island, and Magic has a few special events planned that you won't want to miss.

As Magic celebrates its 25th Anniversary, we'll be kicking off a year-long celebration full of exciting products and experiences at HASCON, including an old-school Prerelease of Iconic Masters—a set you are just hearing about for the first time right now.

Iconic Masters offers players a tour through some of the most iconic cards in Magic history. Featuring new artwork on many cards, the set brings an array of Angels, Sphinxes, Demons, Dragons, and Hydras alongside some of our favorite and most memorable spells over the game's entire history. Iconic Masters is truly a celebration of Magic's 25 years. Every box contains 24 booster packs of 15 cards each, including one premium card in every pack—perfect for drafting with your friends.

Iconic Masters, which is being released as part of Magic's 25th Anniversary celebration, does not actually release until November 17, but that's what makes the event at HASCON so special. Back when Magic was still young, Prereleases used to be experiences that players entered into without knowing a single card in the set. Previews didn't exist, and Prerelease participants were experiencing the cards for the first time.

So the first people to play with Iconic Masters will also be the first people to see the cards in public!

In addition to kicking off our 25th Anniversary, HASCON will also prominently feature Ixalan, Magic's next large set, next new world, and the block that will take us into 2018. Look for more details on Ixalan in our June product announcement that will focus on all the big news that will take us through our 25th Anniversary.

We'll also have events, panels, play experiences, and more coming at HASCON, but we're keeping those secret for now. To find out, you'll just have to join in!

To learn more about HASCON or to sign up for insider access and first notice on ticket sales, visit HASCON.hasbro.com.
🤔

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Two $10 msrp masters sets in a year. These things must rake it in.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
No spoilers means it​'s basically eBay repacks now that I think about it heh.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Or because they choose not to. You're speculating.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
She signed up for an internship where at the scheduled end of the internship there was not the headcount to hire her even if they wanted to.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Set's fun. Built some control decks because, "no one plays agro in sealed," and got rolled by glorybringers etc etc. Don't just sit there cycling is all I can say.

RUGw with sweltering suns, heaven to earth, good red removal, 2 trials and 3 cartouches, spring to mind, bounty of the luxa, and big green fatties was dope as hell to play though.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
There was a wotc person spellslinging at the lgs who had a sealed deck that was 1 drake haven, 1 faith of the devoted, 1 archfiend of ifnir, land, and the rest cyclers. It was so stupid and good.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
How many tokens do you need to get in a game to make it worth it? 3-4? That's not asking very much at all. Same for rummages. We'll see how they do in draft but in sealed they're certainly playable.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Whole lotta bad opinions it today. Top ban was years overdue, and the handwringing in here about standard is just precious. :allears:

In other news they've tried fixing the go to combat shortcut:

https://blogs.magicjudges.org/telliott/2017/04/24/policy-changes-for-amonkhet/

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ThePeavstenator posted:

How is complaining about standard still being bad handwringing? Does disliking something disqualify you from wanting it to get better?

Who says I wouldn't want it to get better? But all this "standard is hosed" overblown whining is exemplary. It didn't get much better with the last bannings as I recall and to write off an entire new set as irrelevant is, unless you've been testing yourself, also classic for this type of player.

Just a reminder, when they last made standard bans they said "we don't usually do this so just because we did recently don't expect more soon." I could totally see them go another five years without one no matter how much people tiresomely chatter about it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I also know at least a dozen legacy only players. They fly out to eternal weekend and poo poo every year too. You have to live in the right part of the country to see them imo.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ZeroCount posted:

kinda weird that they felt legacy was a less healthy format than the current standard

That's looking at it backwards. The question they asked was which format would the improvement from a change outweigh the disadvantages. That was clearly true for legacy and less so for standard.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

GeneX posted:

you have it entirely backwards

:bravo: very constructive dude

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

GonSmithe posted:

Lost round 2 because I drew 10 cards and didn't see a single swamp when I had 5 black cards in hand. Feels bad man.

Sucky. I had an easy sweep with this baby:

2 drop -> trial kill your best creature-> cartouche fight your best creature -> replay trial is totally unbeatable, as is insult + injury at 6

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Definitely. Whoever decided that cards needed to be "pushed" at all hosed up the balance of the format.

It is kinda odd that they go on and on about making a format deep enough that they can't solve it themselves then seed cards that are head and shoulders above the rest. Like, do you want the rest of them to be eclipsed or what?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I mean their logic doesn't make sense (of course new decks are going to be experimental and unoptimized and will lose) but w/e I'm proud they actually did it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The funny thing is, the format might be good now? Lol

Hopefully the fact that they change their mind about everything means the reserved list is on the chopping block :can:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

AceClown posted:

If you want to see SaffronOlive play that gideon deck in an actual comp league he's streaming it now

https://www.twitch.tv/mtggoldfish

That guy's voice is basically the aural equivalent of TyPing LikE THis.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

Cause he makes videos of funny, improbable decks. I don't watch him, but playing well obviously isn't the point of his content.

Yeah there's a place for that now twoo is off the deep end somewhere. Maybe he just needs an interpreter.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

There should be an achievement for this

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

mandatory lesbian posted:

i think I'm gonna draft tonight, I missed the pre-release so tell me, in the all of a week this set has been draftable, anything standing out as good.

This question is so ridiculously open ended, draft is self correcting, and it will all depend on your seat and the pack particulars of that one event, so, yes. A good draft deck will be good.

Generally I think all the archetypes can get there.

RB and RW beats & tricks. UW UG Tempo, UB cycling, BG Counters. Haven't seen much BW.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Easy fix

rules update posted:

400.7i
When a card moves to a new zone, it becomes a new object with no relation to the object it was in its previous zone. The 400.7 subrules list exceptions to that rule. Madness is joining them: if you don't cast the card you exile with madness, the game can track it when it moves to your graveyard.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Don't worry Barry brand new oracle paragraph 603.12 has your back. (It's not actually published yet)

quote:

This rule is all about reflexive triggered abilities, as seen on Heart-Piercer Manticore. These are a new thing—they work like delayed triggered abilities (of course you know exactly what those are, right?) except that after creating the trigger that floats in nowhere, delayed triggered abilities wait while reflexive triggered abilities immediately look back at what's happened earlier and trigger if appropriate.

So to me when the first trigger resolves the second does immediately too, and happens iff you did do the sacrifice.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Dehtraen posted:

Thanks. An hour south of Seattle, far enough from Wizards backyard for them (owners) to not be worried that much, I'm guessing.

I don't have twitter but I'm sure one of the people at the store does

Go poke around the wizards play network sub-site for the email of the Pacific Northwest West regional coordinator. I forget his name right now. Anyways that dude will be all over it within hours.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

The new-new-rotation makes this set feel like a small one. This will continue to happen every other block.

Yup and it sucks

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I think there was in the WR deck where the dude was stuck on singe red the whole game. But yeah not making waves. I'm more sad Hazoret hasn't shown up.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
lol no, unless they're black bordered. I will also buy them all off you at less than market rates :)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
This is Vegas. They'd probably be better served with the iv going the other way.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
En Fuego is like the only person on the planet to play online multiplayer EDH so it's no big deal.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
What's your purpose here? Even if you could get people to agree I'm not sure what you can learn that you couldn't just by pondering to yourself for a minute or two.

Spoiler alert: Most decks will be 42-50% against the majority of other decks.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It's like 1 week in and I'm already sick of losing to Glorybringer over and over. What a cancerous card.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Not really.

I've gone back and counted and glorybringer has been in 55% of my match losses so​ far lmao.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Also he doesn't wash his hands after making GBS threads.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Hi and welcome to the pacific northwest where we may get one GP a year and scg explicitly pulled out.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cactrot posted:

But the 1K's!

No, they are not remotely comparable.

Yeah at least we have legacy. Go Jordan!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
After a series of unfortunate encounters with Glorybringer I was playing in the 0-X end of the LGS at the prerelease and the amount of poo poo that people were getting wrong was really bad. Way too much for me to point it out and help while still finishing my own match on time, unfortunately.

People getting bullied out of using fan bearers because they don't understand priority and the judge clearly not realizing it, etc etc.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Actually Huang was cool with it but it was a feature match and the judge there overheard it and paused the game and forced the dude to abide by the letter of the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Dehtraen posted:

"I chose to have a judge enforce the choice he made rather than proceeding with the game without calling a judge and assuming Borborygmos Enraged had been named. The judge enforced the rules without making an exception, and my opponent was not allowed to name the card he wanted. I don’t feel great about winning that way, but I don’t feel that bad either."

Also, the Eternal Extravaganza 6 event where he ignored his popping of an EE on 1 to kills all his opponent's one drops but not his own one drop.

Huh looks like he changed his tune, my bad.

Anyways, remember when magic was cool and not lame superhero league knockoffs with boring one dimensional characters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwIPwi_FSVc