Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Un sets are horrible, but I do respect one deck my buddy made that forced you to either concede or drive to the store to buy him a drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Maybe Unstable will be the only place to get Pro Tour Player Cards.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

WarEternal posted:

So what are the chances of this new MTG game announcement coming in September being them finally making their digital offering not-garbage? I've been wanting to play some Magic again since forever, but I can't really make time for paper and dislike MTGO.

It's going to suck. There has never been a good Magic digital product. Even gatherer's comment section has been broken for 5+ years.

Anyone remember the official deck builder/life counter for your phone that would crash and not save any of your changes if you got a call while using it?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I started MTGO again, and in my very first sealed tournament, I accidentally figured out that you can add basic lands to your deck and send them all to your sideboard.

So your entire sealed deck is a 5 color deck of your choosing between rounds.

Is this known? It has to be.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Quad sleeving seems like it opens up for a lot of cheating with all of the ways you can slightly manipulate orientation and such.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I like that these gods all have activated abilities that sync so perfectly with their triggered abilities.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Entropic posted:

Turns out something Magical happened and it's fine now.

Don't worry about it.

I bet there aren't even slivers in the set.

Please no more slivers ever. They were cool once, but they pushed that poo poo to to edge.

Each sliver has "2: each sliver has '1: each sliver is a library'"

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

BizarroAzrael posted:

Here is a real card that is real.

Checks out. My uncle works at Wizards.

I wish it was real.

Oh, wait. Still wouldn't stop fetch lands.

4 color decks forever.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

MTGO ended a game I was in, and added two losses that never happened to my league record.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

odiv posted:

Hm, how does Magic deal with "an opponent's choice" in multiplayer games?

Whoever controls the effect chooses the opponent to make the choice.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Tainen posted:

Just remembered that tomorrow Magic Digital Next should be revealed.

I was wondering about that once esports was mentioned. Something that can actually make visual sense to a spectator?

lol, I know it won't be anything good or fun or functioning.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Count Bleck posted:

Is this digital next because???

God, I hope so.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

gif Probst posted:

would a 1/1 with Prowess and Trample for R be broken?

I'd say yes.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

There is no excuse for the shortness of this video. How do you not try changing your opponent's time and actually seeing if it takes?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

LordAbaddon posted:

I still don't get why they got rid of it

Compulsive need to change the rules every year and confuse my casual playing friends.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

That's insanely good.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

TheKingofSprings posted:

What are some big cards that creature stops?

Fatal Push?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Tainen posted:

Laughing at the flavor text

I like it. I don't think that downside would ever stop me from putting this in a deck.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Kuiperdolin posted:

Where is the exiled card coming back?

Between this and Hostage Taker, their templating sure is getting lazy this set.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

It's not an issue, the way "until" is worded and interpreted it always returns to where it was exiled from.

Ok. I was just using Tidehollow Sculler as a reference. Didn't know that being able to return to hand was explicit in the rules.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Entropic posted:

Since Banisher Priest they've moved away from the "two separate triggers" templating model in favour of "until" which puts things back where they came from when the condition ends. Mostly to avoid having to explain how the stack works to new players when someone pulls the "blink my o-ring in response to the ETB trigger" trick.

Ok. That makes sense. I had a faceless butcher deck back in the day that pulled the same trick, and the rules debate was a pain. I've been playing magic since before and after the template change, but I never had reason to notice it until today.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I want "Terrible" to be a keyword.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Excited for Opt.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

"I'll just search my library for a dinosaur card. No, Deathmist Raptor is a dinosaur. They changed it. No, it's not a dinosaur because of the picture, the picture doesn't mean anything. They changed it. It's a dinosaur now. Hold on, let me get the link."

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

evilweasel posted:

there's a difference between not knowing how the rules work, and not knowing they changed the card type to something it doesn't say, just to make the current set appeal slightly more to edh players for a short period of time

Exactly. Any player who isn't paying attention to the Ixalan release isn't going to know these changes. Someone even taking half a year off of the game might have an incredibly annoying game interaction because of this.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Like when Lord of Atlantis got buffed by another Lord of Atlantis, right?

The tenth anniversary of the Grand Creature Type Update is only a few weeks away. JFC is the first time you people have noticed this?

I'm assuming most people don't want to have to look up every old card in gatherer as they come across them.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JerryLee posted:

I can't put my finger on it, but the more I see of Ixalan, the more it seems like a bygone era of magic in regards to art and card design (in a good way). Maybe it's because the swashbuckling pirate aesthetic reminds me of the Weatherlight or Mercadia; maybe it's because the treasure theme feels like a funny gimmick along the lines of homarids and thrulls, only done well. In any case, it's been a while since I've felt this way.

I kind of feel the same way, and I think it's because every other card doesn't have "graveyard" or "exile" on it. Like it's a "battlefield matters" set.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I hate what I'm seeing, but I just started watching now. Have they shown any deck building? Can I actually build decks with multiple copies of mythics or rares?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'd have to assume there is some type of crafting in the game. Otherwise, people won't buy packs after they've opened a certain number because the duplicates will be useless. I doubt you'll be able to pick the card you craft into, but there has to be some way to make sure you don't end up with useless cards.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Good. It's a terrible, clunky rule. I wish they wouldn't errata cards though. Just print new burn spells that say "Target player or planeswalker."

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

evilweasel posted:

its not hard to remember that any burn spell printed before 2018 that says "opponent" means "opponent or planeswalker"

It kind of is. If we're looking at a future where a burn spell that says "Deal 3 damage to target player." then we are looking at a future where they have opened design space by being able to create burn cards that only target players without targeting planeswalkers. We should not have to look up the year a card was printed to distinguish the difference.

Best to leave Lava Axe targeting only players and printing Lava Axe 2 that targets players or planeswalkers.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

evilweasel posted:

yeah but since every card has a year printed on it, knowing the date of the change makes it as easy as it can be

the easier answer though is just a new rule that says that any card or effect that can target an opponent and deal damage to an opponent may target and deal damage to a planeswalker instead, rather than it being 'redirected' and new cards that want to avoid that rule specifically say so. no need for errata and it avoids leyline of sanctity effectively giving your planeswalkers hexproof for damage effects

So you want a card that says this: "Deal 3 damage to target player. This spell may not target a planeswalker."

Rinkles posted:

If there's an unwritten rule to never print cards that only target a player (not PW), I don't think it would be that big a deal.

Lightning Bolt suddenly being unable to target PWs (and a modern update never being printed) is not a good outcome.

I think part of the point of this is to open design space so that they can print cards that only target a player.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 8, 2017

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Rinkles posted:

I don't think so. It's to eliminate a clunky, esoteric rule.

I do hate the rule, and have always thought it was very poorly implemented.

I don't see a reason for changing it though unless they are going to do something with the change. Changing it for the sake of changing it doesn't make anyone's life easier at this point.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Wouldn't "any target" mean you can cast the card at anything even if the effect wouldn't do anything? So if I wanted to bolt a land just because I wanted to cast bolt for some reason, I could. It just wouldn't do anything.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Aranan posted:

I don't know anything about modern, but I'm tempted to dip my toes into it for some constructed Magic. Is there a rundown of the common decks in the format somewhere?

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Are people really holding onto Opts in the hopes that it will spike?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I find the name adorable.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Trilobites should be a tribe that generates endless amounts of themselves and then all die at once.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Dinosaurs seem aimed for limited. I have a 30% win, just for fun, Naya modern deck I might add them to; but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Ripjaw Raptor will land alot of places. It's just Dinos.dec that is bad.

I agree with that.