Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Vanant posted:

Hi friends I don't play MTG but I was hoping you could help me anyway. I'm looking for the name of a specific card so I can show it to a friend. I think it was a MTG card from a non-serious/joke set.

I remember literally nothing about it other than the art, which was making fun of World of Darkness/Vampire the Masquerade LARPers by showing some pretend-vampire pale goth making the arm symbol for 'in hiding' and a kid excitedly pointing him out.

Not knowing the name of the card or the set or even the artist makes it super tough to search google for it so I hope someone else remembers this thing! (Also that I didn't make it up somehow!!)

I have no idea how I remembered this because I must have only seen this in a magazine. It's from another CCG called Guardians that probably didn't last very long.

https://www.listia.com/auction/4438198-single-guardians-ccg-obfuscate-card-tim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Smashing Link posted:

Six-digit DCI number-haver here. I think you had to register prior to 2000...I believe it was around '96 for me.

I got a sixer starting with 7 at Tempest prerelease.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Yeah they added two digits as a check sum, or something. Mine are 20, but I think I can still use the sixer if they can look it up?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

little munchkin posted:

Every masters set has a handful of extremely awful archetypes. In MM3 the point of BR is splashing for removal cards and dinrova horrors.

Has there ever been a sacrifice archetype that actually worked? I remember it being awful in origins and BFZ as well.

Golgari decks in Ravnica classic had a healthy amount of sacrifice. Dredge plus the old combat rules made it much more potent back then. Rakdos did too but it was in the third set and you saw few of them.

I think there was a RB sacrifice theme hinging on Furnace Celebration in Scars of Mirrodin but I don't know if it was a viable option.

Also black in Avacyn Restored hahaha I can't even finish that sentence.

RB (well, FS) in Eternal has a strong sacrifice theme if you want to see it done well. Lots of tokens, sacrifice payoffs, dies triggers, and some graveyard recursion.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I'm pretty sure Sacred Cat is bad because two chumps and two life isn't actually that good. Servo Expedition and other cards that make two 1/1s let you have them at the same time so they can double block an x/2. With Sacred Cat you'll never get both 1/1s at once so unless there's a bunch of x/1s running around its on board impact is minimal.

On the other hand I think they underrated the white monument because it'll generate way more tokens and you don't need to be white to get use of it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

TheMaestroso posted:

It's more that the amount of investment on your part to play it or get it back from the grave is minimal. No one's arguing that the weakest embalm card in the set is good, just that it's playable because of embalm (and lifelink).

I'm saying it's not playable. LSV and Marshall had it at C and C- (I forget who had what grade), i think it's D level. Though I would side it in if i'm up against a bunch of x/1s or otherwise extremely aggro deck and need breathing room.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

If I could make my opponent go down a card for two life I'd love the opportunity. Hell I'd do it for 6 life. It's not like Nourish was playable either.

Also slow grindy formats are about card advantage and having each card in your deck play a purpose, not tossing away resources for a bit of life.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Star Man posted:

There is one dragon in Shards of Alara block that is uncommon. The rest are all rares or mythic rares. And all dragons in Onslaught block are rare, even though Scourge pushes a dragon tribe.

whydirt posted:

Scourge was only made a dragon themed set after the fact. The original design was "cmc matters" and the dragon flavor was added afterward.

The funniest part about this is that the "dragon tribal set" had a whopping FOUR dragon creatures in it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Entropic posted:

They're seriously setting themselves up for real bad backlash here by hyping a set as a TOP SECRET super-double-special 25th anniversary thing if it turns out to just be Eternal Masters 2: More Of The Same.

Remember how pissed people got when the Helvault promo turned out to be a wet fart? And that was something players weren't even paying for.

I thought they got mad because like 5 stores got actual playable promo cards and everyone else got chaff.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Isn't the Reserved List basically admitting the secondary market exists and the cards have monetary value, unlike everything else they try to do to dissociate the game with gambling?

I don't think you understand what gambling means.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

BRAINSTORM

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Iconic masters should just include every card ever printed at the same distribution rate.

Basic Island in the rare slot? I'm loving this idea.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Balon posted:

So that was the strangest 2HG pre release I've ever played in.

My partner and I both had garbage pools for RUW but bomb-rear end Black and Green cards... to the point where we built TWO full-fledged BG decks; one around -1/-1 counters (hapatra, 5/4 menace guy, 5 soulstingers) and one cycling deck (2 archfiend, 3 cycling lands, bunch of cycling fatties).

At the last minute my partner sees our copy of Approach of the Second Sun and says "we'll splash - it'll be out backup wincon". One plains, a few mana dorks, and he works it in as the only white card.

We ended up winning ALL THREE ROUNDS with that drat card. We were so removal heavy no one could hold a board against us or stop us from casting it!

Most fun I've had at a pre-release yet!

This rules.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Went 3-0 and split fourth round in a local pre. Put my money where my mouth was and didn't play Sacred Cat maindeck, though did side it in against an aggro deck and had it get Magma Sprayed every time.

Here's what I played, UWb, and all the UW cards I didn't play unsleeved and sideways. Also had the desert that gives a -1/-1 counter but didn't play it because the black splash taxed my mana too hard.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

mandatory lesbian posted:

you went 4-0 so i'm not gonna say it was wrong to play or anything but you probably had a better card then the Luxa River Shrine in your pool

everything else sounds bomb diggity good tho

I'm going to say it was 100% wrong to play and congrats on going undefeated with one of the 5 worst cards in the set in your deck.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

mandatory lesbian posted:

there is a distinct chance, very slim, before his latest post of course, that he had no better cards in his colors

like i'm talking had 22 of the best W/R cards ever and then everything else was filler in BUG colors

but he did have a better card, he even said so, but at the time, my statement was fine

I'd play a 19th land before River Shrine. Maybe a 20th. Your statement was not fine.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

I don't think it's even gonna be a good idea to tap down a guy for an extra turn late in draft matches, unless yoy're certain you're winning that turn.

Exert is actually very good in limited because it gives your idiot 2/2 something to do on turn 8. I had a couple Tah-Crop Elites in my deck and I think 40% of the attacks they made over the course of the tournament were exerted.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Jace wasn't played much early on, no?

Jace got thoroughly owned by Bloodbraid Elf into Blightning, but once those were out of the picture JTMS dominated.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Night Danger Moose posted:

Went 4-0 with this lot yesterday. Samut is a monster if left unchecked, and Glorybringer is great.

What RG cards did you not play, because all your 1 drops seem pretty suspect.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

DigitalMocking posted:

It's mostly just our family and friends, he doesn't want to do FNM yet until he knows the rules better.

I know a box of boosters is stupid from a money standpoint, but I think it's more fun.

He's a pretty competitive kid, so at some point I'll bet he'll get into the scene, but for now it's me, his mom, him and his little sister playing.

A box of boosters is fine for what you're doing. Anyone telling a TWELVE YEAR OLD to invest in singles is a buffoon.

Best part of a box of boosters is there's 6 sealed decks ready to go right there (a twelve year old prob won't have the patience for this either though).

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Should I know who mfcrocker is?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Elyv posted:

he's a dude who posts in this thread I think

So, no. Thanks!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Vital Signs posted:

They probably should announce a watch list with the ban list to give everyone full disclosure. Essentially saying... "your cards are not banned, yet."

They pretty much said that but the assumption was that the next assessment would be in 5 weeks not 1 day.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

They need to hire more people for dev, that are actually good at the game.

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 27, 2017

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Jenx posted:

Wait, yeah! They have people like her working for them right? Then what the hell is their excuse? "Ah yes! We are going to hire this person, because she is really good at the game and then not listen to a word she says! Brilliant! Now, let's print another loving Gideon!"

I don't know what the timeline was but she may not have been working there when copycat was past the point of no return.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Entropic posted:

So are we supposed to recognize the weird knobbly staff that Elder Dragon God Pharaoh Legend Bolas is stealing in the art of Dispossess?

I think that's a Honed Khopesh.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

DigitalMocking posted:

well raise my rent.

I need to clarify that rule to my son, he's got a bunch of cards that give mana when you attack with them out of Kaladesh and I told him about mana burn.

Energy isn't mana.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Star Man posted:

I'm more annoyed by how he finds really creative ways to pronounce card names. Like Seera Angel.

I'm more annoyed because he brays like a donkey whenever he finally manages to assemble his 17 card combo against some poor hapless fool.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Saffron Olive has the worst voice imaginable and keeps retweeting obviously fake spoilers. Worse than Hitler, obv.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

TheMaestroso posted:

The cool thing is that there are so few ways to get screwed by the half-illusion clause. Either the opponent spends a card on it, or you personally mess up and target it yourself. That's pretty solid for a two-mana 2/3 at uncommon.

The ol' 2 for 0! Almost as good as when Amaz tied to pump his own Glyph Keeper for lethal.

https://clips.twitch.tv/RacySneakyWoodcockTinyFace

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

TheMaestroso posted:

I'm feeling pretty good about this, guys.

EE:

I'm actually curious if anyone has an opinion on whether or not I should play Spring//Mind. It was the last card I cut from 28+ cards I started with when I started deck-building.

Probably far too late to matter but Aven Initiate is arguably the best blue card in the format and has no business being in your sideboard.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Yes I meant common, sorry!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Dehtraen posted:

A store in my area is doing some shady stuff. They no longer give out any of the Wizards supplied prizing / perks - FNM promos, release day promos, game day promos, playmats, full art lands - instead they are just selling these items as they're received. They also ran a league with promised prize support and pulled prizing shortly before the end of the league. The owners live elsewhere and work out of a different store (they have a number of locations). The employees that work at the store (that don't play magic) aren't doing this on their own and are being told by the owners from afar what to do. The entire group of players have decided to go elsewhere but a number of them are pretty pissed off and want to contact Wizards to let them know the BS that's going on - anyone have any idea how to go about reporting them?

Send a dm to @HeleneBergeot on Twitter.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

AceClown posted:

control with Approach as win-con

*clicks on bookmark so hard his finger breaks*

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

The punt in camera was amazing.

That was incredible

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Cactrot posted:

Make a couple car payments or get rid of some debt and never give magic a second thought.

It's this. Don't buy into a garbage format because you've got a 17% off coupon.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

Its a mythic and zombies has tons of casual appeal. The price is going to stay high.

Up until three weeks ago it was at $5 soooooo

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Mardu is an established deck and has many months of tweaking behind it, where as the rest of the slop that was played was brewed up like a week and a half ago, prob less because copycat was still a deck until Wednesday.

sit on my Facebook posted:

Edit: also as Cedric just said, Mardu is a very complete 75 card deck, and none of the opposing decks have felt that way

Exactly this. Watch the deck tech with UR Emerge and when the guy gets asked why he didn't play Fiery Temper he makes a protracted fart sound for like a minute straight.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I've been testing a RG discard deck with Honored Hydra, Fiery Temper, and Hazoret, using Insolent Neonate, Key to the City, Bloodrage Brawler, and Noose Constrictor and while it can go off consistently it does feel a bit like 1 or two key pieces are missing. Same for BR variants, although you trade the wurm for better removal options there. Copter would be great to have in either, but without it I'm not sure the deck can get above FNM worthy.

Well for one thing, you forgot Ravenous Bloodseeker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Tales of Woe posted:

They haven't really updated their release schedule yet since they went to the two-block model - it used to be that the 3rd set and core set got slightly shorter runs which makes more sense than an entire block getting a shorter run. They'll probably fix this at some point.

I'm pretty sure they've been going Big set 4 months, Small set 2 months since Battle for Zendikar.