Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Liliana posted:

She swallowed the grape, seeds and all of course—spitting was so undignified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

suicidesteve posted:

Its P/T are the same everywhere.

Yep, * in the P/T box is persistent across all zones according to the rules text, X is 0 everywhere except the board.

E: Thinking about it more, are there even any nontoken creatures with "X/X" in the P/T box?

Mistaken For Bacon fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 19, 2017

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Siivola posted:

Nobody's complaining so either it's perfect or nobody's playing, and I know which I'd bet on. :v:

Is cat already banned on MTGO or does it not take effect there until Friday?

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

TheMaestroso posted:

[A good post]

In addition to this, Karsten's pick order is up: https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/a-pick-order-list-for-amonkhet/

Commit the top commons and uncommons to memory for your P1P1 convenience. Shockingly, it's premium removal that edges out the lower-tier rares and mythics.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Tales of Woe posted:

This reads very much like a list created before actually playing the set, which is what it is. I see so many things on here that are clearly way off after just a handful of drafts.

Are you seeing things that are way off in the first three sections? I should have clarified I think this is mostly useful for ranking the commons for P1P1. If I open my first pack, shuffle through the commons and don't see Final Reward, Electrify, Magma Spray, Compulsory Rest, or Cartouche of Strength, I'm going to hope the Uncommon/Rare slots have something good for me. I do agree he should have Edifice of Authority higher.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Anecdotal evidence and all, but I've played standard for the first time since Zendikar (minus Murdergoats before it rotated on MTGO) with LSV's monoblue Engulf the Shores, and Marvel was all I faced tonight at my local shop. The games were fun, and I felt like I had the right answers if I could draw them, but holy poo poo I hope the format gets more diverse at this shop.

I guess I want to know who's playing what with their gearhulks?

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

If it weren't fake, the token would indicate what colors it is :(

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Oops, that beast token made a fool of me, I could only think of this dragon as a gold token:

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Molybdenum posted:

Goons, can anyone recommend a store in Atlanta? I'm here for work for the next few weeks and I'd like to play some modern. I'm staying in Kennesaw.

I played standard at The Win Condition a few weeks back and went 0-4. The owner gave me a pack of Eternal Masters as a pity prize, so purely from that anecdotal experience alone, I would say go there. They had a decent sized player base and everyone I played against was pleasant. They were going through a remodel at that time, but I think they should be finished now.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

JerryLee posted:

get cheaper shipping

https://twitter.com/drilmagic/status/860343301026840576

Back on beginning-player talk!!
I just bought into modern with goblins yay! It's cheap, without blood moons, at least, and I can usually split in the last round at FNM with it. That's good enough at my shop to get a decent little payout.
Decklist:
20 Mountain
4 Dynacharge
4 Ember Hauler
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Goblin Chieftain
4 Goblin Cohort
4 Goblin Grenade
4 Legion Loyalist
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Mogg War Marshal

Sideboard:
3 Dismember
3 Leyline of Punishment
3 Molten Rain
3 Rending Volley
3 Shattering Spree

Amateur tips (and request for protips)!
  • What are some mono red sideboard slots I can think of bringing in before buying blood moons to shore up my matchup with Jund?

• Ultra Pro's are almost always garbage, but the Eclipse sleeves are great, especially for double sleeving. They are getting a bit gummy after shuffling for about 20-24 rounds. What's a good way to clean them, moist towelette or lens wipe?

• Dragon Shields if you're single sleeving. Clear mattes are boss AF.

• For our German friend, and everyone, really: Non english basic lands are black bordered from their first printings, which was a larger print run than Beta and Unlimited, but still look extremely fly* on a budget.

Pls add to op

*:

Mistaken For Bacon fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 10, 2017

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

MrBling posted:

Please find enclosed, my A25 draft experience tonight at FNM.

My man! My first draft today was much the same, with Refraction Helix too, which scored the blowout on an Akroma's Vengeance. A+ would draft crab deck again.

I also had 2 WB decks from my other drafts which did some good work. Turns out, removal and fliers are great. I missed out on a foil Jace by one seat, but I'm just as happy to win my games :)

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Flooded Strand gets you any land with the plains or island types on turn one, untapped and ready to go. Panoramas cost an extra mana to fetch, get only basics, and the land comes down tapped, so they don't actually fix your mana before turn 3. Compare the allied slow fetches like Bad River, which etb tapped themselves, but can fetch for a Hallowed Fountain on turn 2.

Beaten thoroughly, but panoramas had some marginal usefulness in Alara draft, if you wanted to start your curve with a triple-color 3-drop :)

:siren: ARENA CHAT :siren:
Last night I found a fun interaction with Azcanta: if you've drawn through the top of your deck, the client tracks and let's you see the cards you sent to the bottom if you haven't shuffled. Thanks to the guy I was paired not Ruining my value land, I knew I had 2 Enigma Drakes coming up back to back, and could Fling for 22 after he countered the first one.

Mistaken For Bacon fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 31, 2018

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

I have been having a blast with Mono-U tempo, Runaway Red and Izzet Drakes with Arclights. I am partial to U/R so keep this in mind but you could build toward your flavor of choice just as easily. I've only spent $5

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Too early to call the best card in limited, or just low hanging fruit? This prerelease is going to be nuts.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

beedub posted:

After getting hooked on Arena I picked up all the Guild Kit precons in paper and had a blast playing with a couple of friends. I'm interested in hosting more paper magic, but maybe not the mega-cost of constructed just yet. Limited seems a good option?

With only 3 players is my best bet to run sealed events? Are there draft formats that work with not many people? Google throws up too many options to really know what to pick.

I also grabbed the Challenger decks, but those are only once a year?

Sealed is a great way to play limited without needing 8 people. If you want to get a bit more mileage out of your packs, you could get a bunch of matching sleeves, and as you and your buds open packs, sleeve up and mark the fronts of the sleeves with a unique mark for each pack. (Or the cards, if you don't care.) Then you can sort them back when you're done and shuffle up the packs to get a variety of pools going.

For drafting, you can Google Winchester and Winston draft, which will work with fewer than 8 folks. Is there a reason your crew can't get to the local shop on draft nights and hop in an 8-man pod?

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Tulul posted:

I also stuck Return to Nature (Naturalize 2.0) in my first deck on the principle that those cards have sometimes been ok in Sealed. I'm dumb, don't do that. I saw literally zero enchantments in nine games, the only artifacts are mana rocks, and you don't need graveyard hate that much.
Elaborating on this: there are 6 enchantments in the set, and none are bombs. Not much of a surprise with 36 walkers. Of those 6, Prison Realm is the most powerful in sealed, and I don't think Dreadhorde Invasion is going to be great in limited. I will pick it in draft or play it if in my sealed pool colors, but I'm putting it at C-level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

A Moose posted:

Hey I'm still super mad that nobody's even trying to find out a good temur ramp deck. Elementals are a draft strategy, but big chandra might actually be good only its hard to tell because I have to personally re-invent temur reclamation to find out and I don't have the hours it would take to reinvent that particular wheel from the ground up.

@jamietopples posted a list like this with more Cavaliers:

quote:

4 Omnath, Locus of the Roil (M20) 216
2 Cavalier of Thorns (M20) 167
2 Field of the Dead (M20) 247
4 Unclaimed Territory (XLN) 258
2 Living Twister (WAR) 203
4 Risen Reef (M20) 217
4 Leafkin Druid (M20) 178
4 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
2 Healer of the Glade (M20) 176
4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178