Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Wait wait! I don't want to miss the DCI dickwaving chat! It's the only thing in my life that's baller

I'm excited for prereleases, my wife lets me play hooky from the family and kids all weekend and just nerd out. Doing midnight, Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon for probably 17 rounds of magic total. Then a BBQ on Sunday and party with all the other exhausted nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I personally thought these masterpieces look way way better in person, but they're still pretty awful. The foiling helps make the border and art pop a little bit, and helps to distract from all the horrible design decisions.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

ShaneB posted:

Someone summarize what I should try to draft, though.

Good cards. I don't mean that to be flippant, but I think this is a less heavily synergy driven set than a lot of past ones. That said, there's still plenty of synergies and build-arounds you can exploit, but if you take creatures and spells that give you lots of value (embalm comes to mind) or put a ton of pressure (red/black/green exert or -1/-1) you'll probably be able to come out ahead of people that are trying to pull more complicated shenanigans. Fan bearer is a great card at common that can help deal with some particularly difficult threats, though not one you want to stack a million of in your deck, the bearer can tap indestructible gods, and break the protection on that 5/3 Embalmy Sphinx of the Bullshit Wind. Cartouches and Trials can be completely disgusting together, and range from decent to insane on their own. Evasion is particularly good, with embalm around you can chump block forever. If you can't do embalm, get some big butts. Or play aggro, and smash fast; fling and some repeatable effects can give you reach, and exert lets you get extra damage in to let you try and steal games. Red in particular can just explode out of nowhere. As vanilla things go, I like Ancient Crab and Those Who Serve a lot, otherwise, you're gonna want your creatures to have some sort of utility effect or cycling. Luckily pretty much everything has cycling or exert or embalm or something else attached.

I'm excited for Monday, 7 friends are coming over with some prize packs to get us a head start on drafting. It'd be more exciting if online were lagging as usual, but it's still a good time.

Shovelmint fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 23, 2017

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

TheChirurgeon posted:

There's a deck to be built around the cycling/discard mechanics, but you have to go for it. It takes more than a few cards to make work well.

The green cartouche is really good

Yeah, but you should be grabbing those good cyclers anyway. And a lot of those cards that synergize with cycling and discard are fine on their own, and just get insane when you can trigger them reliably. Trying to go off with Flameblade Adepts in a regular deck is stupid. Probably stupid in a cycling deck too.

Green cartouche is insane though.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

That card is actually bonkers in limited. It sounds bad but the extra card draw/mana helped a friend of mine go 4-0 at 2HG today. Cartouches/Trials are the way to go, people who plan on drafting.

You're thinking Bounty of the Luxa not Luxa River Shrine. Bounty is nuts. Shrine is nots.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
No lander keep on top 8 win and in.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Shovelmint posted:

No lander keep on top 8 win and in.

It didn't work, but it wasn't too far off. Calcano made top 8

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Martin Muller with the no land keep earlier and now dropping multiple f-bombs in his top 8 interview. Awesome.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

The only concern I have w/ yesterday's announcement is that it could overload Creative.

Flavor text will be 25% worse

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

TheChirurgeon posted:

seems like you'd just make a creature unblockable at that point

Afflict 10 seems better than unblockable in a world you can force your opponent to block.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I just tried to read a tournament report on pucatrade.com, and got a warning that it was a phishing website. How the mighty have fallen. I mean, everyone knew it was a ponzi scheme, but at least it was a reputable ponzi scheme.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I argued with a buddy of mine that Vexing Devil was garbage. He insisted otherwise. It turns out Vexing Devil gets a lot better when after they don't take the damage, you play another land, surge out a bushwhacker and hit them for 5 before they can untap and kill it. That said, without the haste, I just don't think it can perform. Hailfire will probably be the same way, garbage unless you can make it so all the options are extremely damaging. So either stripping their hand/permanents to where its a gigantic dome spell, or ramping to some absurd amount of mana, torment of hailfire for x=16 seems good. I don't expect the card to be good, but I feel like casting it for the win in either of those scenarios will be very satisfying.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Drew in the first round of my prerelease, then me and my first round opponent both won out, screwing up the top 8 math for everyone. His 9 year old son was there at his first prerelease and took top 16. Format seems grindier, but the top tables were mostly pretty aggressive deck. I personally was on a pretty vicious RG beatdown deck featuring 7 2-drops (earthshaker kenra and rhonas last stand) 6 3-drops and a pair of open fires and that red -1/-1 counter/2-to-the-dome spell gave me some reach (2 games won off the red sac desert, too)

For the first time I'm not really super excited to draft a set, though. I don't feel like this has enough flavor and mechanic wise that really differentiates it from Amonkhet. Aether Revolt, for example, added improvise which completely changed the way you would evaluate cards; I could see that and predict that would be fun to try out. Afflict seems great, but not the sort of shenanigans-encouraging mechanic that excites me. Eternalize plays a lot like embalm (though one that discourages killing it) and desert tribal doesn't pump me up. I liked the way it plays, but nothing really grabbed me either. But we'll see on Monday how draft feels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
So... fraying sanity, the card that doubles the amount of cards put in the graveyard for a player. You can cast it on yourself. Why do I want to build a deck that makes that good? Like some sort of Lab Maniac Flashback Control Dredge Monstrosity. 3 mana is too much for that effect on yourself, right? Maybe you could do something in standard. I don't know, but as soon as I saw that alternate use for it, I wanted to Johnny it up. I am not a good Johnny.