Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Re: Ashiok, Tamiyo was also a 'oh by the way, this person is also here' planeswalker and then they finally wrote her into the story 5 years later, so there's still hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i lost my 8 digit one from odyssey/onslaught era and now i have a 10 digit pleb one :(

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Rinkles posted:

the conventional wisdom, or so i hear, is that cycling lets you play less lands, even in slow formats.

This format looks like it has plenty of ways to use extra mana though - I would default to 17 here, 18 only if you somehow have a high curve and little cycling which seems impossible since a lot of the big creatures have it.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ShaneB posted:

LSV went on record at the end of the set review saying he thinks Amonkhet could break into his top 5 limited formats of all time. High hopes.

It has a very high ceiling just based on the mechanics they chose - cycling and flashback variants are time-tested Good Mechanics, and Exert looks like one of those subtle tough decision keywords that will play really well. There's only a few commons I wouldn't ever want to put in my deck and the common creatures are strong across the board in interesting ways. If the set fails it'd have to be on color imbalance, which is something that can be hard to spot without playing a bunch.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ShaneB posted:

I'm surprised to hear this, actually, I think this set has a LOOOOOOT of juggling of mechanics/cards/options.

Yeah I think this set looks above-average difficulty for current magic, especially coming off of Kaladesh which was one of the more simple blocks they've made. It doesn't have the keyword soup of BFZ or the 5-tribe/guild sets though so that probably helps approachability, but I'm reminded of original Innistrad which was a very challenging set despite only having a couple keyword mechanics.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

My experience with MM17 was that BR sacrifice was one of the 3 playable archetypes, though slightly lower in power level than goodstuff control and UWx blink. The green decks were the truly unplayable ones.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

little munchkin posted:

Has there ever been a sacrifice archetype that actually worked? I remember it being awful in origins and BFZ as well.

WB human sacrifice in DKA-ISD-ISD was good

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Alpha only had one merfolk for Lord of Atlantis (who wasn't a merfolk himself) to affect: Merfolk of the Pearl Trident.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Amonkhet has some pretty good pieces of art but a lot of them are on weak commons that will rarely be in play, like the 4 mana frost breath and the land ramp aura

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Balon posted:

Any tips on the prerelease tonight? 2HG at my LGS and I haven't studied the spoilers.

Hope to open Cut//Ribbons which has the magic 2HG ruining text 'each opponent loses X life'

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I still can't believe AKH draft leagues are already gonna be up on modo tomorrow. seems too good to be true

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

I cannot imagine Exert is gonna be viable in Standard. I don't think it's even gonna be a good idea to tap down a guy for an extra turn late in draft matches, unless yoy're certain you're winning that turn.

Glorybringer is a lock to be played in Standard, and Glory-Bound Initiate and Ahn-Crop Crasher will probably show up at some point. Those are the obviously good ones, not sure about other stuff like the extra combat phase guy.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

born on a buy you posted:

Which card was more powerful for their entire tenure in standard: jtms or Gideon?

Definitely JTMS, Gideon spent a lot of time as a sideboard card before the last rotation. The current Standard format is just unusually poorly equipped to deal with planeswalkers, for various reasons.

mandatory lesbian posted:

jtms had to get emergency-banned. Gideon, if it even gets banned, will be during the normal season

JTMS wasn't emergency banned. The only card ever to be emergency banned from Standard was Memory Jar, I believe.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Well, the white ones for sure in Standard, if only because of Always Watching (I preordered four GBI's myself). Glorybringer's a bomb, regardless of whether you draft an exert deck or not, yeah. Last night I played RW with exert creatures, but by mid-game it would be pointless to exert because we were at a board stall, and I couldn't afford to let my shields down that long, even if I was going to loot or to bring back a 2 or less cmc creature. Once I did manage to exert team-buff bird and then blink it with that Vizier which was nice.

I just don't think it's going to be a good idea to go all in on the synergy, unless you're cheating around it with vigilance, which isn't an option in limited afaik. But I could be wrong :shrug:

It's not a linear mechanic though, you can just play the few best ones. There's no such thing as an 'exert deck'.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Huh? Gideon was a 4 of in multiple decks for the entire time it's been in standard. It's been the best card in the format since it was printed.

Collected Company was the best card in the format for most of Gideon's first year.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

i thought it was off-season, crap i even played standard during that time and can't keep it straight :sweatdrop:

Back then the B&R schedule wasn't synced to set releases - JTMS and Stoneforge got banned in the next one after NPH came out but there was a month or 2 of Batterskull caw-blade and twin-blade before that happened.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Did WotC play this set in paper? Every single mechanic is super fiddly and annoying to do. Also where the gently caress are the removal spells? There's like a total of 10 spells in the set that can remove creatures and most are rare or on the back half of Aftermath cards, so are essentially 2 color.

This set has the same number of removal spells as every large set from the past several years, their set skeleton is pretty tight these days.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Rinkles posted:

In terms of constructed a good but somewhat conditional instant B removal spell (e.g., grasp of darkness, ultimate price) is conspicuously missing. Probably because of the rotation change.

The Constructed-Worthy Uncommon Black Kill Spell has been showing up in the small sets lately e.g. Grasp of Darkness, Murder, Fatal Push. I'm sure Bolas has one up his sleeve for HOU.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Ein Sexmonster posted:

This set is a little more removal light than some recent sets, but it's very minor.

I think it's got about the same amount as Kaladesh, the mechanics are just less friendly to people leaning on removal/attrition to win.

At common in particular their removal setup has become very prescriptive:

White has a Pacifism variant and an instant that kills stuff in combat, plus sometimes Smite the Monstrous or a tapper
Blue has an aura removal of varying quality, a bounce spell, and 2 counterspells of varying quality (AKH's Essence Scatter/Cancel is about the best you can get here)
Black has a spell that hits everything, a spell that hits 2 or 3 toughness, and usually a spell that hits 1 toughness
Red has a bigger burn spell (usually 4, sometimes 5), a smaller burn spell (usually 2, sometimes 3), and often a 1 damage one that hits multiple things
Green has a Plummet variant and a Prey Upon variant

pretty much every set going back to like DTK follows this pattern

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Siivola posted:

Four colour stuff sounds like a nightmare considering how little fixing there is in this set. :stare:

There's actually a fair amount in green and 2 common fixing lands (though one is bad). 5c green is probably possible here though I don't know what the payoff would be.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

If everything Mark's said has been right, the original block order was Eldrich Moon-Amonkhet-Kaladesh, and that was planned when there would have been no overlap between the two due to the shortened standard season. (I think? Or half a block, w/e)

Then the blocks got rearranged, standard's timeframe changed again and welp here we are.

that swap would have happened early in design, long before they make any Standard-relevant cards.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

mcmagic posted:

People LOVE to bitch about standard how matter how good/bad the format is. Lots of crying wolf.

This is certainly true, but as someone who rarely bitches about Standard, this past season was the least fun I've had in the 8 years I've been playing the format. Cawblade standard was more diverse.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Marketing New Brain posted:

It absolutely was in the deck that played 4, the UW Flash deck, and it was insanely dominant and the best deck in the format by a ridiculous margin.

Snapcaster was never in an insanely dominant deck in Standard. The best deck it was in was UW Delver which was the de facto 'best deck' for a while but hardly dominant, the big Standard events that season were mostly won by Primeval Titan decks iirc, and Birthing Pod was strong for a while too.

I don't know why the Magic community has a tendency to remember all past Standard formats as one-deck or one-card formats when even the worst ones have had 3-4 top archetypes.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Marketing New Brain posted:

My point, now somewhat lost, was that they don't ban cards based solely on power level or prevalence in a format. They ban because they are unpopular. Cards like Bloodbraid elf never got banned because they weren't chase mythic so people didn't care as much, if it had been 70 dollars per elf it wouldn't have made it out of Block Constructed.

JTMS also fits into the same category as Emrakul the Promised End where on top of being powerful it's a card that lets the opponent perform the MTG equivalent of torture on you before it kills you, and you can't just scoop because your opponent might use the fateseal or the Emrakul turn wrong and leave you with outs. These cards are way less fun to play against than other finishers despite achieving the same ends.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I thought that was a demon, ala the Archfiend?

Yeah it's that guy. He's also on Haze of Pollen getting his allergies triggered or something.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

uninverted posted:

Quick rules question, if I hit a walking ballista and an eternal witness off of collected company, can I return the ballista (which dies immediately) to my hand with the witness trigger?
Yes. State-based actions happen before triggered abilities go on the stack.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

Is cat already banned on MTGO or does it not take effect there until Friday?

It's in, they had a short downtime this morning to reset the Standard league.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's so nice to have a set with mana sink and cardflow mechanics again after the 'your 7th+ land is an actual dead draw' world of Kaladesh.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

In addition to this, Karsten's pick order is up: https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/a-pick-order-list-for-amonkhet/

Commit the top commons and uncommons to memory for your P1P1 convenience. Shockingly, it's premium removal that edges out the lower-tier rares and mythics.

This reads very much like a list created before actually playing the set, which is what it is. I see so many things on here that are clearly way off after just a handful of drafts.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

TheMaestroso posted:

He doesn't claim that the imaged cards are listed in order at all, just that those groups of cards fit in the categories he made. And after drafting several times over the past week I can say that the top categories are pretty spot on (at least in regard to the cards I've played with/against). There's obviously going to be some disconnect because very few people will be able to see every card played in their time with the format, especially in an actually good shell.
The top 2 categories are fine, though I would swap Drake Haven, which is almost Pack Rat level insane if you get it early enough to draft around, with Gideon, who is fine but not that bomby. Also I think Commit/Memory is on par with the rest of its cycle but he has the other 4 way up here and that one much lower.

The 3rd and 4th sections are where I think he starts to really underrate the cheap exert creatures and bounce spells relative to the actual removal and grindy stuff. This is a faster format than people made it out to be (just like every freaking set) and people are bottlenecked on mana much more often than cards in my experience, so bounce is better than usual. On the other side of the spectrum, I think he also completely missed on Wander in Death though that's understandable since you have to go all the way back to I think Mirrodin Besieged before you find another set where the 2x raise dead card was as strong as it is here.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah how do you ever finish game 1 in commit//memory control mirrors?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Rinkles posted:

The new-new-rotation makes this set feel like a small one. This will continue to happen every other block.

it was like that in the past with spring large sets and they still managed to impact the format significantly e.g. Dragons of Tarkir and Rise of the Eldrazi both added multiple top tier decks. Those didn't particularly feel like small sets to me.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Alris posted:

Is there any information out there on prerelease / set release dates for the next 12-24 months? Even if there aren't actual names attached to the dates.

Hour of Devastation
Prerelease Events: July 8-9, 2017
Release Date: July 14, 2017

Ixalan
Prerelease Events: September 23-24, 2017
Release Date: September 29, 2017

that's as far out as they've announced yet, there will be more announcements in June.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Huh. Amonkhet just came out and Hour is out in two months.

They haven't really updated their release schedule yet since they went to the two-block model - it used to be that the 3rd set and core set got slightly shorter runs which makes more sense than an entire block getting a shorter run. They'll probably fix this at some point.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

My experience so far in this limited format is that people keep playing low land counts and tons of cyclers and then they have to spend their first couple turns cycling to make their land drops while I beat them to death with 2-drops. Don't do this. Cycling is a failsafe, not an invitation to skimp on lands.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

Is there a website that has the winrates for different deck matchups? Even if they're just approximated or from a smaller sample size that would work. I know WotC made MTG Goldfish stop scraping results from MTGO to that level but is anyone else doing something similar?

If I can get the info I'm going to use it to model the harmonic behavior of deck performance in tournament metagames for a game theory project.

You can't view replays from MTGO leagues except for your own matches, so there's no data source to be scraped anymore.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

Yeah I had a feeling that anyone with a matchup matrix was either keeping it to themselves or behind a paywall. I'm just going to do the best I can to estimate and post my first draft of the chart later. It's too bad because I want to share the results when I'm finished and I would have liked to have them be at least somewhat realistic.

What format do you have in mind? I wouldn't expect anyone to have one yet for Standard or AKH limited, even if there are people out there collecting data.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This is a 1v1 focused list, you know.

You know.

Seriously is there a place where I can see what cards aren't on MTGO, I am seriously confused about not banning Vampiric Tutor/Imperial Seal.

they're on MTGO and cheap as heck.

modern got like 8 additional cards banned after the first month or 2, i'd expect similar here

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

They're also literally the most powerful tutors and a gigantic push towards black commanders that others can't match.

And there's two.

Pretty sure Demonic Tutor is more powerful than those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I would recommend adding Scapeshift too, it's always around and has a different matchup profile than Tron especially now that Tron has moved from straight ramp to an Eldrazi deck.