Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Scion of the Ur-Dragon is awesome.

Requisite EDH story:
Player 1 -> Friend that I let borrow my Scion (Dragons) Deck.
Player 2 -> Other friend playing Mono-Blue.
Player 3 -> Me playing UB deck.

Player 1 -> Dragon Broodmother. (Makes 1/1 with devour 2 every turn). Pass the turn.
Player 2 -> Plays whatever. Leaves UU up. Pass the turn.
Player 3 -> Ok that Dragon is cool, and I want blockers. Rite of Replication kicked on that Broodmother (make 5x copies)
Player 2 -> Taps UU.
Player 3 -> "Ruin my fun?"
Player 2 -> "Nah, its a party". Casts Twincast. 10 dragons hit the field.
Player 3 -> Pass the turn.
Player 1 -> "Only one dragon player allowed." Casts Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund. When Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund enters the battlefield, gain control of all Dragons, then untap all Dragons.
Other Dragon creatures you control have haste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

ThePeavstenator posted:

My only regret is that I've only won through combat damage so far. One person is gonna take a wild ride before the day is done.

Yeah, I suggest doing the following when you open your 2HG packs:

Game 1:
Epic of all 4 rounds. Opponent casts Pull from Tommorow for 6...so I do the same (for 6).
Untap, cast Approach of the Second Sun, go to 20. Put Approach 7 cards down.
Opponents plays a few spells, drains us to 15.
I play Angel of Sanctum, deal with a threat.
Opponent: "Ok, we win".
Me: "Well, let's see".
Opponents play Glorybringer, kill Angel, play lots of zombies to drain us with WB zombie and black momunent, swing for lethal with Glory, a 6/6 with haste, etc. I chump block to go to 5. Post combat, opponent drains us to one. "Can we do anything else? I guess not. Ok, go. Life totals 15-1, you have no creatures, go".
I have one out.
Which is my second copy of Approach of the Suns, which is on top of my deck. GAME.

Also had a rad sequence where opponent plays 6/6 wurm rare, with 7 mana so I cant Daze. We attack into, he blocks, we deal 4 damage to it to finish it, opponent taps his last mana to +2/+2, I respond with Daze, other opponent responds with +2/+2 and flying. So, I follow up with Compulsary Rest. Two players drawing 6 cards is crazy.

Games 2 - 4 were pretty uneventful.

Game 2: I keep a shaky hand, but get there when I draw lands. I manage to draw both copies of Approach the Suns. We set up some blockers and do some trading. I get Gideon down, who manages not to die. I cast the first copy, going to 30 and make a Gideon Emblem. Our opponents deal 3 damage to Gideon and drop him to 2, commenting how that card is crazy and "Just imagine if you had two Second Suns in your pool.". So, I show them the second copy in my hand!

Games 3 and 4 were pretty much exactly
Turns 1 - 6: Daze/Essence Scatter/Block (Teammate was on G splash R/B with green fatties and 2x copies of the 3 damage red sweeper).
Turn 7: Second Sun.
Turn 8: Pull from Tomorrow for 5 or 6 (playing around Daze).
Turn 9: Second Sun, Game.

Our last round opponents complained because we wouldn't split with them and they said they wanted to leave to go somewhere else. So when we killed them on turn 9, well, then they could leave!

logis fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 24, 2017

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Sickening posted:

They are pretty deece. I don't think the deck is very good against grixis shadow, but everything else is pretty fair game. The traps in the sideboard are pretty comical too.

What's your SB?

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Just give me a Masterpiece Jack in the Mox, Booster Tutor, and Ashnod's Coupon.
Bonus for new card Booster Box Tutor.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
"What does a good 4 card hand even look like for Affinity?"

"Champion wins on mull to 4"

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Yeah G/W card will be usually game ending when cast in a decent aggro deck. Make a guy huge, tap their best two creatures, attack for a ton, putting them dead on board to your guys (maybe some with afflict) or near-dead (forcing them to hold back and soon dead to fliers/afflict). Just not very good when your behind, so not a real bomb in all decks.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
*******2HG Report***********

Went 4-0, playing with another local goon. Opening that many packs, we had a bunch of options, since we opened well (lucky = 2HG format).

I played a pre-release at midnight and got a feel for some of the cards and tricks (at least common/uncommon). Noteably, I'm high on that green common that destroys either a flier or enchantment, since that's either a must-answer creature, or kills a removal spell/random rare enchantment.

Option 1:
Black enchantment that says 'you win the game if you have 10 treasures'.
Considered going all-in on the treasure-making theme, but seemed kind of weak overall (had 4x of the 5 mana blue guy that makes 2 treasures; 0 of the black removal spell that makes treasure), and really didn't want to rely on drawing that one enchantment to win. Plus, see above comment about being blown out by main deck Plummet/Demystify.

Option2:
Somehow opened 3x of the enchantment that has "Raid: mill opponent 4".
This seemed pretty awesome; probably would have worked pretty well, as once two are on the table, a few suicide attacks for milling 8 would be enough! However, this plan made the next plan bad, as U/B (the color combo we ended up in) didn't have many slots for creatures due to all the good spells that were kind of must-play.

So we ended up on:
Option 3:
PANTS PLAN.
THE MAN:
Opened 4x of the common hexproof merfolk (3/3 for 3G) and big daddy dinosaur (the mythic, hexproof, blah blah blah).
THE PANTS:
Had 2x of the +3/3 and trample instant (2G)
Had 2x of the +2/2 and lifelink aura (3B)
Had 1x of the +2/2 and flying aura (1U)
THE PLAN:
Step 1: Hexproof guy
Step 2: PANTS
Step 3: When they block, play +3/+3 trick or removal spell (had 3x destroy target creature 3 power or less, had 1x put-on-top instant). They'll probably lose their best creature(s), and probably the game.

U/B mainly just ran the above PANTS and lots of removal and some fliers. Had like 5x rares (bounce all one opponents dudes, the unblockable looter, Raid Dark Confidant, XUU mind control, 2UU flash flying 3/3 pirate). <DIG FOR PANTS>

R/G for all the hexproof guys, some removal, and more green fatties. Also have the 3/3 dinosaur that pings when creatures enter the battlefield, and splashed for RW planeswalker. <FOLK WEARING PANTS>
===================================================================
Games:

Game 1
Opponents turn 2: Merfolk 1/1 making enchantment

Turn 4 hexproof merfolk, make it a 3/3. Add +2/2 lifelink enchantment.
Opponents: Hmm. Ok. 1/1 merfolks chump for now...
Turn 5: (draw blue aura, play it).
Opponents: 7/7 lifelink, hexproof, flying??
---several turns later----
Opponents: We are dead.

Game 2:
Crazy game. Probably should have lost. Too much to type. Unblockable looter never died, and did like 12 damage and looted 6 cards. Never drew 1U aura, so game went on forever as 7/7 lifelink/hexproof guy could never get through a wall of green men and white tokens. Eventually won when they alpha striked (due to us playing the RW planeswalker and threatening gaining 7 life/turn and eventually making our team unblockable) and we had a trick to stay alive.

Game 3:
One opponent kept a 6 enchantment hand, full of removal. But drew his mana too late. So a couple pirate fliers and that 3/3 rare dinosaur dealt them enough damage when they played creatures that they went to like 12. They tapped out and this happened:
Teammate: Plays stupid 5/5 haste/trample dino.
Me: PANTS, PANTS on dino, Make it a 9/9. Attack with 9/9 flier, 1/2 flier, 1/2 flier, 1/2 flier against their non-fliers. GAME!

Game 4:
Opponents do stuff, but see game 1 (turn 5 7/7 lifelink/hexproof/flier). They concede at 15 life and 5 creatures to our 2 creatures. PANTS.

Of particular note, is that pretty much every other creature that we played instantly died to Walk-the-plank, etc. But hexproof guys just hung out forever. Got pretty lucky to draw one of each kind of pants in games 1 and 4, but, that's 2HG! Luck is definitely involved, and Big Spells win the game. Which is why I always run 100% of the counterspells (in this case, 2x Cancel).

PANTS!!

======
Additional 2HG story, from another prerelease.
I play Swap-life-totals enchantment. Opponents EOT tap two of our guys, kill another, and all-in.
Opponents: "Ok that's 2+3+2+...+5 trample. That's lethal right?" after playing trick (+3/+3) on 3/3 dino that gets +2/+0 if you have another dino
Me: "You only have one dinosaur, so it's a 6/3 and not a 8/3"
Opponents: "Oh."
Me: (Counts damage) "2+3+2+....+3 trample.....Ok we go to 1??"
Opponent: "Oh....pass turn. We're at 22 life"
Me: "Let's swap life totals :) "

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Really want to shoot for winning with Treasures using Revel with Riches during some draft. MTG Ixalan Release Notes agrees:

"If the second ability of Revel in Riches causes you to win the game, please refrain from throwing your Treasure tokens into the air as this may distract or injure other players."

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
I've never had to rare-redraft at a store. Sounds awful. Done it several times with friends/people; got a foil Tasigur that way.

Do like the local store's version of draft though:

1. Draft as normal. Keep what you get.
2. 1.5 or 2 packs/person prizes
3. Store opens all the prize packs. Each person chooses a card of their choice based on final ranking. I.e. first place gets first pick, 2nd 2nd, etc. First place gets 9th pick, 2nd 10th pick, etc, till all the cards are gone or each player drops out of choosing.

It definitely incentives passes rares during the draft to try to get to first place and the draft has a definite competitive feel, while not really punishing people who want to rare draft (at the expense of their draft deck potential). Plus, everyone gets a prize!

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

odiv posted:

I haven't seen them in person yet, but I think I'd like them more if they were all like the plains where the top border was a bit lighter than the rest of the card. And probably not as light as it is either, honestly.

Hm, do I want these as cube lands? Might just stick with my original plan of just using the Min Yum Ixalan basics. (right now everything is mismatched.)

I went the crazy route of making all my Cube lands unique (max of 1 set symbol in each color); I say crazy just because of the amount of time that I spent going through basic lands. The result is that it is neat to see the different Magic settings (with about ~30 lands/color), and it makes every card in the cube a singleton. I would suggest not doing this, and just get matching arts. If you could travel through time, then do what someone did about 5+ years ago, which is use all Unhinged arts FOIL $$$$$ !! making it the most expensive Cube that I know of

But for constructed? All one art. My Merfolk has Unhinged, for example. I try to do the same for EDH.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

InterrupterJones posted:

Agreed, but I had no idea that if someone’s hook becomes unattached they die. Is that canon?

Going with this is the captain's hook, vs random hook. To lose it, is to... I guess.

Also, 2nd the wargear comparison. Always hoping for cube equipment.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Angry Grimace posted:

Why was Hideaway a keyword? They could have just spelled out what it did given there were only five rare cards that had the mechanic.

There's an article from a dev about the mechanic. Was supposed to be on a bunch of cards, but they changed the way it worked and cut it down just to a few cards. Was supposed to be a subgame mechanic; hard to make it work with nonlands.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Anyone going to GP Vegas? I will be there Friday through Sunday. PM me, etc, if you want to say hello. Also: going out Friday and Saturday night, so suggestions encouraged.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Dehtraen posted:

That’s the second time that Todd has tapped the top of his deck to kick fight with fire and drawn the land, haha

At draft this week, kept drawing lands and hanging on by a thread with a B/G/U deck vs B/G. Think I was drawing 1.5x lands (like 13 in play for me, 8 in play for him; I was able to double pump the 2/2 with +2/+2 for 5, for example). I keep telling my deck "Anytime now, please" with each draw, for like 5 turns. His overgrowth deck is playing pretty well in the very late game, as we both had traded about 8+ creatures (or more).

He finally draws a guy with evasion; the 3/1 flier in black. A smile and a nod, as it looks like he can finally end the game. I'm at 6.
I draw another land.
He attacks. I'm at 3.
"Ok deck. Really." I have 2 or 3 outs. A 1/4 with reach, a flier to block with, and...
(Draw) "Finally. There you are Izoni". Make 11 guys. Sack 1 to go to 4; have 5 mana up.
(Opponent) "What a lame way to lose. Draft the BG deck, and a guy (two over) on my left AND my right open Izami." I play the other Izami deck in the finals. Lose in the third game to my mana.

Later, in pack wars. I draw Vicious Rumors in my opening hand.
Me: "Ugh. I guess, cast Vicious Rumors".
Opponent: "...You milled my rare"
Me: <High fives neighbor>

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

The Shortest Path posted:

Almost certainly the 10th-LOR-ALA standard manabase, it's easily the most varied we've ever had.

10 Painlands
10 Filterlands
5 Trilands
5 Vivid Lands
8? Tribal Lands
Reflecting Pool
Exotic Orchard
Terramorphic Expanse
5 Panoramas
5 Hideaway Lands
5 original Manlands
Probably some other poo poo I'm missing

Look upon this wonder and despair at its passing: https://scryfall.com/search?q=type%3Aland+%28block%3Aala+OR+block%3Ashm+OR+block%3Alrw+OR+set%3A10e%29

Being able to curve Volcanic Fallout into Cryptic Command into Cloudthresher into Cruel Ultimatum was a glorious time.

I think my favorite deck during this era was one that won an event. May have been a GP, or maybe states. But basically it was:

4 or 5 color control
Landbase featuring: 4 Reflecting Pool, a bunch of Vivid Lands
Non-land: Singleton for the rest of the deck EXCEPT.....4 of Cryptic Command.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

!!!! Thanks for this.
Might build this version and play modern for once this week.
Selfmill was fun in Ultimate masters last week. Mill!

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Marketing New Brain posted:

It was also a miserable draft experience, both extremely on rails and a complete nightmare to read any given board state. They've never been able to make a popular tribal set, and their most recent attempt, Ixalan, is probably the least popular draft format of the past few years.

The complexity in TSP is at least by design and it's well loved even if they would never do something so ridiculously off putting to new players again. It created unique and weird games and represented the entire history of magic, past present and future. Compare that to Lorwyn where the complexity is about noticing how many modifiers are acting on your 1/1 changeling and then whoops it also doesn't matter because Thundercloud Giant comes down and is Flame Wave on a stick.
Favorite local limited story from Lorwyn. Player 1 is tapped out, but has the one Mana elf that can tap 3 elves to make Mana, and 2 other elves.
Player 2 doesn't want to lose to an onboard trick that involved P1 blocking and then activating a pump ability with elf Mana, so before attacks, he kills the biggest elf with Crib Swap (P1 did not respond with pump, since that would tap down his team). Player 2 then attacks, intending to force P1 to block or take lethal (attacker had trample). However, ...

logis fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 24, 2018

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Ada posted:

Maro is finally going to roll out the non-loyalty abilities design space for Planeswalkers I'm calling it. Give me a Nissa with "T: Add G" Mark. Give me a Tibalt with "Deal 2 when you discard" and "+1: Discard your hand."

Bad card gen time (One with nothing Planeswalker)

Tibalt, Hellbent Maker (RBB)

At the beginning of your end step, if you have 1 or more cards in hand, and each opponent has no cards in hand, you lose the game.

+1: Discard your hand. Target opponent gains control of Tibalt, Hellbent Maker.

Starting Loyalty: 3

To Hell and Back

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Hellsau posted:

Cool. It's single elimination. In round 2, you do 32 matches and give 1 person a round 2 bye while 1-0.

same with every single round, including when only 3 players are left.

Nice, I get to tell 2 stories.
=====================================================
Story 1:
I played in a LCQ before a GP; it was the last LCQ. If you went 4-0, you got 2 byes for the GP. Anything else, you got nothing (packs maybe??). Single-elem.

My friend got knocked out after Round 2. He hung around for me while I played round 3, as we had dinner with friends coming up.

After round 3, the remaining of us start to gather. There's 5 of us...Apparently we started with an odd number, and someone got a first round bye. Another person got a 2nd round bye. And yet another person got a 3rd round bye.

Of the remaining 5 of us, 3 of them had been lucky enough to get one of those byes. The judge comes by and says "Yep, one of you will get a bye this round and end up 4-0. And that's good for 2-byes tomorrow".

They bring the pairings by. I end up having to play...it was 50/50 that I got that round 4 bye! I take game 1. We start game 2, and my friend has to leave, as we're late to dinner.

I make a small misplay (active Pirate Jace post-combat), and that, combined with my
opponent playing that 5 mana 2/2 Verdant-Force-like-creature games 2&3, I end up losing the match.

I get to dinner, where my friend had a drink waiting for me.
Everyone at the table: "Congrats, right? You were up 1-0 and took it down?"
Me: "Another round please"

===============================

Story 2:

Kamigawa standard. Local shop here was hosting a double-elim tournament with 5k prizes on the line. Invite only; you had to win a tournament during the year to get a Golden Ticket. It paid out in that weird way where the better you did, the more you got paid. Example: if you were in the bottom half, you got $25. If you were in the bottom half of the top 1/2, so to speak, you got $50. And so on.

Most importantly, again, no draws. Two losses and you were out.

After round 2, people in the losing bracket were facing elimination. Everyone in the store was done besides one pair of people, who were in the losing bracket and playing to stay in the tournament:

Mono-Blue control vs Gifts Ungiven.

Store owner comes by and says "First damage (lifechange) loses".

Mono-Blue snap keeps and goes first. His hand is crazy; Mana Leakx3, lands, Keiga. Something like that. It's going to be a long game. He says "Island, go"

Gifts player draws, plays a swamp, taps his swamp for...
Ghost-Lit Stalker. An anti-control card 1-of sideboard card that you sometimes never even cast due to typically using its Channel ability (which was uncounterable).

Mono-Blue is dumbstruck. He's going to be knocked out of the tourny by the only 1 drop creature in his opponents deck, let alone the very few 2 mana spells in his opponents deck. He goes nuts. Considers flipping the table. Then storms out.

The life change rule is nuts. I mean, the round ended and the like 40-remaining of us could play the next round, but that was especially weird to watch, seeing as I only started playing that year and have never heard of this rule.

I played round 3, and lost 2-0. My record: 0-1, bye, 0-1. Which was good enough, SOMEHOW, for top-half placement. 50$ was mine, despite not winning a game!

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
This might be too early, and I might be wrong, but I am thinking amass will play nicely with limited and all the planeswalkers.

1. Since amass doesnt create new creatures, it doesnt make multiple blockers for planeswalkers. Keeping planeswalkers alive is much easier when you have a steady stream of new blockers (see OG Elspeth, 3 mana Nissa, etc, etc). Only having one (zombie token) creature will make it harder to keep them alive (especially if the token dies / gets bounced).

2. Having a large creature is good against planeswalkers. A large amass creature will kill them in one swing, if it gets through. Thematic, I guess?

Based on the above, I wonder how good that planeswalker that makes the 0/3s is, since it actually makes blockers (at least a few times).

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

AlternateNu posted:

That's what happened to my first order. Phones aren't allowed in my office, so I had to run out to order it. Got the confirm screen, but no confirm email and the transaction didn't show up in my eBay profile. I had to check again 10 minutes later and refresh the listing a couple times to get an order to go through.

Just checked on my order. Had it bought and got the confirmation screen, then went back to work; very busy day. Just checked on it again...order was cancelled. LOL.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

ShadeofBlue posted:

So, how many details do we even know about the WAR Mythic Editions? Are all the orders being cancelled, or did they actually sell their stock? I'm not even getting a cancellation, there's literally no trace whatsoever of my order anywhere, even though I got the successful payment message after ordering it. No money taken out of my account either, so I assume I'm not getting anything.

This is what happened to me. There is another page where it has the order, but 'This order was not successful...'. It's under My Ebay/Order Details, but I could only get to that page (so far) by clicking the link on the original purchased page.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Owlbear Camus posted:

Just got my confirmation my boxes were cancelled and get to wait while Paypal collects some interest on my half a grand "processing the refund" before I can put it back in my account.

Very cool.

Both of my friends just got their cancellations. "Sorry we screwed up; we promise a gift card and something from WoTC in the future for all those with cancelled orders". Sucks. But then I wonder if I'll get anything, as I was actually in the first 6k orders (and cancelled of course) and I havent gotten an email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Dehtraen posted:

Well, eBay confirmed to me that if your order was a part of the initial mythic edition debacle where your payment didn’t go through due their mess up in the listing you get nothing. RIP.

Thanks for checking up on this. I figured that I got nothing despite being in first 4 or 5k purchases, but now I know!