Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Problem description: My new GPU, a Zotac Mini 1060 6GB (NVIDIA), runs 3D apps fine for about 2-5 minutes at a time, before it appears to "crash". I get a black screen on both monitors with no error message, and I can hear the card's fan spin up to the maximum level. The application's audio runs for about another minute before the entire system hangs and I have to hard reboot. Witcher 3, for instance, runs fine initially, but even skipping through the wall race and all the dialogue, the drat thing hangs before I get to the end of the tutorial at Kaer Morhen. Other, slightly less graphically-intense apps seem to crash basically at random. I don't overclock so I'm not used to problems like this.

I can identify two things that could be causing the problem:

1. The GPU is running at normal temperatures of about 38° C/100° F. The CPU and motherboard, however, consistently run at temperatures close to 100° C/ 200° F, no matter what I do. I've had the computer horizontal on a lower cabinet shelf with the same problem, and it's currently vertical on the carpet. If I can get better airflow in the case with more fans, I might fix the issue.
2. My power supply might need to be upgraded to accommodate the new GPU. I was certain that even with my CPU, motherboard, GPU, and 4 hard drives, I'd still have at least 100W of headroom, but I could be wrong about that.

I can afford a new PSU or better cooling, but not both. I'm hoping to get a better sense of what other steps I can take before making a purchase.

Attempted fixes: Cleaned dust from case and CPU fan. Adjusted physical location of CPU fan. Uninstalled and reinstalled NVIDIA drivers. No blood sacrifices yet, but that's not far off.

Recent changes: Nothing other than the new GPU.

Operating system: Win 10, 64-bit

System specs:

CPU: Core i5-4590
Mobo: ASRock H97M Pro4
Memory: 12GB DDR3-1333
New GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
Old GPU: GTX 750 Ti
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 600W
Storage: 1x solid state; 3x mechanical; 1x external USB drive with its own AC power
Optical: Old DVD drive that I never use

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yeah, and Google turns up a ton of forum threads with the same issue but no resolutions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Those CPU temps are alarming. How long has it been since you put the cooler on it? I'd consider the possibility the thermal paste has dried and cracked, leaving uneven contact with the heatsink. It would make sense that this got worse after moving the computer and changing GPUs if this was the root cause, just due to the additional motion.

It's certainly possible your PSU is not happy, and that it would be a good idea to add more case fans, but the CPU temp is where I would focus first. Also, have you verified the fan on the CPU heatsink is spinning properly?

Edit: Also, is the motherboard BIOS up to date?

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Might not be the GPU, that could be a coincidence. Running intensive apps spikes the CPU heat even further and if you're running games for 3 mins before it black screens then your CPU might be shutting down. 100C is way too hot, there's no reason it should be that hot.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Those CPU temps are alarming. How long has it been since you put the cooler on it? I'd consider the possibility the thermal paste has dried and cracked, leaving uneven contact with the heatsink. It would make sense that this got worse after moving the computer and changing GPUs if this was the root cause, just due to the additional motion.

It's certainly possible your PSU is not happy, and that it would be a good idea to add more case fans, but the CPU temp is where I would focus first. Also, have you verified the fan on the CPU heatsink is spinning properly?

Edit: Also, is the motherboard BIOS up to date?

Thanks for the quick reply, fellow Captain!

This CPU/Mobo combo is from probably 2013 so it's very possible the thermal paste is no longer doing its job. The fan is spinning properly but it seems to be loose or something; the plastic screws by which it attaches to the motherboard are split and don't fit in the proper holes. I'm researching new CPU fans/heatsinks now; iirc they normally come bundled with thermal paste, right? A replacement would fix both problems at once.

The BIOS is not completely up to date; I tried updating it from the UEFI and it found a new update but couldn't complete the process for some reason. I'll try flashing it again today.

Clamps McGraw posted:

Might not be the GPU, that could be a coincidence. Running intensive apps spikes the CPU heat even further and if you're running games for 3 mins before it black screens then your CPU might be shutting down. 100C is way too hot, there's no reason it should be that hot.

I'm inclined to agree, it's possible that upgrading the graphics quality to High (because I thought the new video card could handle it) is also causing the motherboard's overheat shutdown function (which is turned on) to trigger.

Eyeing this cooler as a solution. Any reason not to go ahead and order?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Is the CPU at 100C even when just idling at 0% usage?

Captain Walker posted:

I'm researching new CPU fans/heatsinks now; iirc they normally come bundled with thermal paste, right?

Not necessarily.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Zogo posted:

Is the CPU at 100C even when just idling at 0% usage?

Yep. Damndest thing.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Is the CPU cooler itself loose? If that's the case then that is going to be your central problem, and I would advise not trying to update the BIOS until you get the CPU cooling situation under control.

If you order a replacement cooler then you can add some thermal paste to the order - Arctic SIlver is pretty much the standard, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
for the two of you who still care it was, in fact, a cooling issue

• Locked thread