Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/RossCrombie/status/857710963818156034

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
#SickTheresa

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

as popular as senility among right wing leaders is atm it's obviously the same 'i have no idea what podunk town this is' thing that happens whenever national-level politicians go campaigning

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

"I was really impressed by the can-do attitude of the hard-working folk in *glances at notecard* Grottingham-upon-Lump, especially when I toured their lovely *glances at notecard again* bog-body factory."

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Fallen Hamprince posted:

"I was really impressed by the can-do attitude of the hard-working folk in *glances at notecard* Grottingham-upon-Lump, especially when I toured their lovely *glances at notecard again* bog-body factory."

No more eurosausage!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Hopefully britain can learn some lessons from france:

"Macron’s ascendency could encourage those in Britain who would like to see another path open up. One that would help counter the kind of narrative deployed by May; one that could soften Brexit. A left-leaning Labour offers little solace in that regard. The best antidote seems to be a confident centre, one built on pragmatic, moral, optimistic beliefs, and, as we see in France, rich in potential. If Macron prevails on 7 May, the immediate effect of his centre revolution will probably be felt in France. But its most important effect should be to galvanise like minds abroad, and certainly here."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/28/macron-rise-extremism-not-inevitable-le-pen-france

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
macron is basically french obama and lol we all know what comes after an obama

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

hakimashou posted:

"Macron’s ascendency could encourage those in Britain who would like to see another path open up. One that would help counter the kind of narrative deployed by May; one that could soften Brexit. A left-leaning Labour offers little solace in that regard. The best antidote seems to be a confident centre, one built on pragmatic, moral, optimistic beliefs, and, as we see in France, rich in potential. If Macron prevails on 7 May, the immediate effect of his centre revolution will probably be felt in France. But its most important effect should be to galvanise like minds abroad, and certainly here."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/28/macron-rise-extremism-not-inevitable-le-pen-france
Related:

https://twitter.com/YeshAtidEng/status/855436865142390785

quote:

His strategy seems to be working. Almost all recent polls show Mr. Lapid’s Yesh Atid (There is a Future) party, established in 2012, would come out as the largest faction in the Knesset, or parliament, if an election were held today—and therefore get the opportunity to form a governing coalition. Yesh Atid would nearly triple its current number of seats, according to these polls.

[...]

In staking out the political center, Mr. Lapid has repeatedly compared himself to a fellow former finance minister, Emmanuel Macron—the expected front-runner in Sunday’s presidential election in France. The Israeli politician describes his candidacy as part of a new, moderate, backlash against the populist wave he says was evidenced by Brexit and Donald Trump’s election in the U.S.
Macron is a big test. And I see comparisons between him and Hillary, but I dunno. Hillary seemed to have run to the left, however much goons will violently resist that characterization. Or maybe she was just all over the place. These other centrists seem to be different ... uhh... somehow.

Uhhhh

gently caress if I know

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 01:29 on Apr 29, 2017

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Related:

Macron is a big test. And I see comparisons between him and Hillary, but I dunno. Hillary seemed to have run to the left, however much goons will violently resist that characterization. Or maybe she was just all over the place. These other centrists seem to be different ... uhh... somehow.

Uhhhh

gently caress if I know

lol no

lapid is a perennial loser and paper tiger

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Related:

Uhhhh

gently caress if I know

Centrism being what defeats Netanyahu would be so indescribably wonderful.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

hakimashou posted:

Centrism being what defeats Netanyahu would be so indescribably wonderful.

its not going to happen

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Top City Homo posted:

its not going to happen
But what if it does?

Then the 46th President of the United States will be Mark Zuckerberg.

Since this is the British thread I dunno. Guess y'all are boned

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's not like it'd be any different.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
labour party bad

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

hakimashou posted:

the guardian calls that section "comment is free" because when it comes to the opinion pieces there, you get what you pay for

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Andrei Dorkovsky posted:

macron is basically french obama and lol we all know what comes after an obama

Bernie?

Tingfinder
Oct 21, 2013

Top City Homo posted:

a poor person isn't in a position to provide jobs :smuggo:

Seize the means of production me ol' chum

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Related:

Uhhhh

gently caress if I know

This rear end in a top hat spends most of his time condemning human rights organizations and calling any anti Israel critics (including Israeli​ jews) antisemites. He's just as right wing as Netanyahu, just better at branding himself.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

So it's just basic 90s third-wayism again?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Concerned Citizen posted:

labour party bad

Nah

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 272 days!

hakimashou posted:

they're desperately hoping that the right is so awful that it will make "economically conservative but socially liberal" look appealing

it's the same mantra of "we're smart and good and right and not fascists so you have to love us"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 272 days!

Uhhhh

gently caress if I know

you might call it a "third way"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Related:

Uhhhh

gently caress if I know

wasn't this dude literally part of netanyahu's coalition

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

they're desperately hoping that the right is so awful that it will make "economically conservative but socially liberal" look appealing

it's the same mantra of "we're smart and good and right and not fascists so you have to love us"

I'M THE BABY GOTTA LOVE ME!

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

mike12345 posted:

So it's just basic 90s third-wayism again?

yes but instead of triangulating between labor and neoliberalism they're now triangulating between neoliberalism and outright fascism

incrementalism works

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
It's cool watching the generational equivalent of good cop bad cop getting used to wreck the entire legacy of the labour movement

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

isn't netanyahu in the midst of some corruption row or is he just gonna slide out of that as well

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its cool that after 7 years of things being insanely poo poo for almost everyone they're going to again vote the tories in. They're using the same slogan as last time despite brexit and the leader changing lol

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face posted:

isn't netanyahu in the midst of some corruption row or is he just gonna slide out of that as well
He's never not in some kind of corruption row.

Jose posted:

its cool that after 7 years of things being insanely poo poo for almost everyone they're going to again vote the tories in. They're using the same slogan as last time despite brexit and the leader changing lol
Yeah my favourite thing about this country is how crashingly poo poo everything is nowadays, including and perhaps most importantly the opposition that I support.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

get that OUT of my face posted:

no one believes that bullshit

its something about using public money

quote:

Sara Netanyahu is accused of ordering new furniture for the prime minister’s official residence in Jerusalem. Later, she allegedly swapped it with old furniture from her house in Caesarea. In addition, she was accused of doubling the number of dinner guests in Netanyahu’s office in order to be able to afford private chefs.

no one cares

not only that but that sort of petty political prosecution is a good way to get a more nationalistic PM. because people in Israel hate the judges and this is going to be another nail in their coffin. they are all going to get gulenized if they keep this up.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Fullhouse posted:

yes but instead of triangulating between labor and neoliberalism they're now triangulating between neoliberalism and outright fascism

incrementalism works

Keep moving that Overton window! to the right

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Top City Homo posted:

they are all going to get gulenized if they keep this up.
only fitting for a political system that's already parallel to turkey's or russia's

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 272 days!

MikeCrotch posted:

Keep moving that Overton window! to the right

it turns out that if you fight for the center, all it does is give all the ground to your left

but they hate the left more than they do the right; they so desperately want centrism to be cool and popular

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

this is pretty depressing

24% ethnic nationalists lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Anybody associated with or who invokes a "common sense" is invariably a complete shithead.

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Anybody associated with or who invokes a "common sense" is invariably a complete shithead.

i think they are meant to be the olds who always vote and it's tory every time

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

are you calling Thomas Paine a shithead?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Jeremy Corbyn is good.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

and i must meme posted:

this is pretty depressing

24% ethnic nationalists lol

oh wow Britain is super hosed lol

wonder how much of that left-wing quarter lives in Scotland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU