Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
labour party bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

labour~

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
greece defaulting on its debt would generally be a mutual suicide thing, but it would hit greece much, much harder than the rest of the eu.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

Defaulting on unsustainable public debt isn't suicide. Indeed, Greece has already technically defaulted several times, taking small haircuts and accepting bailouts. I think they should have defaulted and aggressively restructured a much, much bigger chunk of their debt, as their current debt-to-GDP ratio is barely sustainable and basically mandates perpetual austerity.

If anything, saddling future generations with a lifetime of debt peonage is suicide.

greece would be ejected from the common market with no trade deals, absolutely no ability to finance debt, a worthless new currency, and an entire continent that would gladly watch them crumble. they'd be wiped out essentially, which is the reason why merkel was able to call the bluff without fear. the end result is they still get austerity, except 10x worse.

the fastest way to end the crisis is for the european creditors to forgive a lot of debt. that is the sensible course that would save money overall, but it's so politically toxic that it seems unlikely. defaulting, for greece (and the world), would be disastrous

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 22:37 on May 8, 2017

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

Or there could be an explosion of economic growth once the enormous burden of servicing unsustainable debt is finally removed. What's certain is that the present debt load and accompanying austerity will continue to be a crippling anchor on growth and will instantly morph into another crisis with the next downturn.

there'd be no explosion of economic growth. it'd be very difficult for greece to remain in the euro after a default because greek banks would lose the ability to gain liquidity from the ecb, necessitating a bailout with money that doesn't exist. this might be possible if it were an orderly, negotiated default, but in the more likely event it would force the greek government to re-introduce the drachma and therefore put it on the fast track to grexit. unlike argentina, greece has no real prospect for prosperity outside the eurozone. in fact, its default would precipitate a financial crisis that may put the entire continent (or world) in recession - magnifying the impact. the immediate impact would likely be shortages of basic necessities, dramatic inflation, and collapse of much of the private sector. it would take months to even produce physical drachma for people to spend. can the state even survive that? it's unclear.

there's no real winning solution for greece acting unilaterally. they can take austerity from the eu, or they can accept austerity due to debt obligations and likely economic collapse. i agree that the eu/imf's strategy is inhumane and unsustainable. it may end up being the case that greece ends up defaulting anyway and they are just prolonging the inevitable - their policy is absolutely insane. but the only real solution is basically going to be for everyone to write off significant amounts of the debt and end the austerity imposed on greece.

the moral hazard argument itt is insane. germany's policy is impossible. either they allow greece to survive and prosper again, or they have decades of bailouts that will cost far more than the cost of the entire debt - at horrendous cost to its people.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 23:51 on May 8, 2017

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

Again, most of this presupposes that Greece would have to reintroduce the drachma, which I'm not convinced is true. The prospect of an EU-wide collapse also strikes me as extremely unlikely when you look at the actual numbers in terms of exposure for the lenders. It's just not that much money relative to the combined economies of France, Germany, and co.

well, to avoid having to reintroduce the drachma, greece would have to avoid bank collapse. they wouldn't be defaulting on germany/france, but rather would default on imf/ecb loans. greek banks are 100% reliant on the ecb for euros. they have no other way to get them because no one in the private sector is dumb enough to loan money to the greek banks. if they default on ecb loans, the ecb at that point will cut them off from ELA, which will mean the banks have no euros, which will trigger bank closures. the greeks will then have no choice but to re-introduce the drachma. this is essentially the issue - in order to stay in the EU, the greeks need the ecb to continue to provide their banks with euros despite the fact that they just defaulted on them. the ecb has said that a default on ecb loans would end the euro supply, so it would basically be a game of chicken.

you're right that it it's not that much money compared to the eurozone's central members as a whole - the issue is that greece wouldn't be alone. their failure would discredit the ecb and drive up borrowing costs for the entire periphery of the eu (contagion). now you've got several sovereign debt crises, and from there it's unpredictable but potentially catastrophic.

quote:

I don't believe that starvation or complete collapse of the private sector are by any means outcomes necessarily predetermined by a default. Again, you can look at historical defaults for some precedent; indeed, what's going on right now in Greece is quite similar to the disaster stories that tend to follow a default. The difference is that the current "plan" has zero future upside.

even a best case scenario (default with eu) would be catastrophic in short term followed by a return to growth. over the long term they'd be well above the baseline. this is what the eu should allow greece to do, but it seems they are unwilling to do that. so i think basically greece is in a no-win situation here. trying to maintain the (horrid) status quo may eventually yield debt relief, whereas a potential grexit would be really, really bad. and the grexit may end up basically being inevitable if the eu does not budge at some point.

quote:

I also don't buy that Greece is so uniquely situated that the economy could not recover following a default/major restructuring. That strikes me as an extraordinary claim. Again, lenders tend to return after a major restructuring as they have an opportunity to lend to a state with low debt. It's somewhat counter-intuitive, but banks are lending quite willingly to, e.g., Argentina despite it's series of defaults that have continued to as recently as a couple years ago (2014 I believe).

Yes, in the short term there would absolutely be additional hardship. But hardship is now unavoidable, as the EU is unwilling to offer a realistic restructuring plan from it's end of the table. The hardship is ongoing!

yanis varoufakis made a blog post about why greece isn't argentina - obviously he was an enormous proponent of default with eu, and even he acknowledges that there are pretty significant differences. if greece defaulted within the eu, it could certainly recover. this is what greece would desperately try to do. but the ecb holds the cards. a default outside the eurozone may lead, quite simply, to a failed state.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 00:56 on May 9, 2017

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
also corbyn said he won't quit even if labour loses horrifically, so lol labour is doomed forever

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
corbyn did a very poor job during brexit. ultimately it's cameron's fault, but when 37% of labour voters side with the far right on brexit, that's kind of a corbyn issue. he should have resigned, but that didn't mean the coup was a good idea or particularly helpful.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Democracies are the governments that ignore votes, right?

48% of voters wanted to stay, perhaps a party that represents those 48% might be more popular than one that says "well we're in favor of self-destructing in a more gentle way"

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Hodgepodge posted:

Frankly, given that he was ambivalent over Brexit and that the EU does not appear to be popular, he may actually represent his party's base better than someone who was wholeheartedly for the no position.

He may still be a lovely leader, but this line of argument reminds me a great deal of that of establishment Democrats who can't grasp that they are the problem. And a good look at why Bernie might not have won- because the Democratic Party, like Labour, is full of people whose politics are so far from that of their base that the two may require the invention of an FLT drive to ever meet.

labour's base was overwhelmingly for remain. the difference between bernie and corbyn is that corbyn is only 1 point more popular than donald trump, and widely disliked by his own party. so i think maybe corbyn might be the one who isn't really anywhere near his base

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
corbyn is on a different level of unpopularity though

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Nanomashoes posted:

Once he sat on a train floor and another time he mowed his lawn in a t-shirt. Both of these things seemed pretty cool to me.

https://twitter.com/richardbranson/status/768070742135152640

awkward

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
richard branson took out the mayor of branson, mo and now he's gunning for corbyn

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

logikv9 posted:

restore the power of the monarchy

their first act would be to behead corbyn

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
iirc labour offered lib dems ending fptp in exchange for coalition, but lib dems instead chose the tories who only offered them a referendum on the thing. well, seems that was a mistake.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Top City Homo posted:

*Concerned Shitizen doing math*

Brexit wins by 51.89 to 48.1%

Brexit is very popular

but not with Corbyn's base

Corbyn wins by %59.5 and again %61.8 of his base so he is widely disliked

:downs:

corbyn got 313k votes in 2016. 9.3 million people voted for labour in 2015. the relevance of the leadership election to actual popularity in the party is pretty much zero.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Jose posted:

The Falklands was justified

i continued to insist as my empire crumbled into dust

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
owen smith would have won

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
I just placed a 20k bet on Corbyn winning a majority! Wish me luck!!

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/866809792878215169

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
england started it all

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i'm gonna lol really hard if tories manage to blow this

my lols will be heard around the world, they will be uncountable and uncontainable

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
could the tories even form a minority government? surely it'd be gone in a second?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

i'm no cop but i think this seems like a relatively easy case to crack

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

so it really is like the US house
Rhode Island has 526k people and gets one congressman
Montana has more than a million and gets one congressman

rhode island has a million people and 2 members of congress

please don't take this from them, it's all they have

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

holy poo poo

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XPzICHxXoQ

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
chaos reigns

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

anime was right posted:

so like how do u get a new prime minster is it just majority of seats or what

if it's hung parliament, tories will get first whack at trying to form a coalition to get a majority of the seats. unclear though if anyone would really be willing to do it

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
somewhere in england, theresa may is running through a wheat field

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/872921611741036545

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Baloogan posted:

hahahaha corbyn and trump talking to eachother on the phone will be some of the most hilarious audio in history

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
ATTN: jim messina
RE: yourself
MSG: go gently caress

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
bit nervous that tories are gonna overperform these exits but i'm gonna just believe anyway

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

oliwan posted:

I was just thinking... Isn't it ironic to lose seats on a purely opportunistic snap election called to gently caress over the other party????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jne9t8sHpUc

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/williamjordann/status/872938609426542593

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i don't want the real results. they will only disappoint. i want to live in the moment i saw the exits forever

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/BrettMendoza/status/872939588284821504

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

STOP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

LinYutang posted:

After the tory supermajority we'll all look back fondly at this hour of premature celebration

shock exit poll failure as tories claim 97% of all seats