Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

logikv9 posted:

restore the power of the monarchy

would Philip get take-backsies on his retirement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Poor person bloodsports are banned here too

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

It's a free vote and public opinion is still pretty overwhelming against it so I can see a lot of Tories abstaining

It's a way to try and shore up rural voters (especially those who might be concerned about losing EU farming subsidies), nothing more

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

They do, it's called trail hunting but some people are explicitly in it for an animal being torn to shreds and just can't get it up if that doesn't happen

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Neil's been interviewed about his yet-to-be-aired interview because it's 2017 why not

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...4b0a9ae59336352

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

and i must meme posted:

i want corbyn to win so bad

i don't even care if he can't actually enact any policies

just seeing him meet with other world leaders would be enough

corbyn meeting trump lmao

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

They're being quoted anonymously, if their name was against it it'd be 100% party line

It's the nature of Brits, a repressed exterior barely covering a raving madman

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Rudd's dad died this week and May still forced her to go in her place

https://twitter.com/matt_dathan/status/870005670661304320

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

jBrereton posted:

on the Labour side btw it went like this:

Jeremy Corbyn so roundly backstabbed that he literally couldn't get enough MPs to back him to put him on the ticket for his own re-election without a special meeting of the NEC (more or less our DNC). Then after it was established he was probably deserving of a shot at his own defence, he left the meeting, at which point they put a £25 fee on new members getting to vote after he was gone and couldn't vote against it, lol.

Angela "Screamin'" Eagle then swooped in to try to take out J-Corbz on a "he is bad" (sorta) and hates women (ehh)" ticket and was pushed out of the way by dick pill merchant Owen Smith who had the temerity to suggest he was the real voice for women in Labour (lol) and who was such a charisma vacuum and ideological unknown that he couldn't take out an incumbent with less parliamentary and public support than dengue fever (only recently turned around by this election courtesy of May's shockingly poo poo performance more than owt else).

it's unpopular idiots all the way down mate

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

"Jeremy Corbyn victorious" is an anagram of "u jive, tory corncob misery"

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

oh poo poo did if get good again

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

hakimashou posted:

Whoever wins it will be a hilarious poo poo show and even funnier if no one wins, which is apparently a possible outcome.

Cameron thought no-one was going to win in 2015 which is why he promised the brexit vote, it would have been the first thing to go in coalition negotiations

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

pathetic little tramp posted:

Wait, did Houghton already announce? Sky is saying Labour held, but only has 2 decided seats.

If all the polls close at once, why does it take so much longer for the rest of this poo poo than Newcastle and Sunderland?

some seats are massive rural ones and votes have to travel miles

also we have super optimised the counting process because we have to have a regional pissing contest over every little thing and no-one else has the same incentive

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Lot of good stuff today but I think this guy has gone underappreciated

John Curtice is what you'd get if you opened the Big British Book of Clichés to "professor" and I'm real glad he got to look so smug about his exit poll model when Dimbers spoke to him earlier

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

649/650 for 10am is pretty good, there were a handful that dragged on for days in 2015 I think

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Balaeniceps posted:

Dumb question: any likelihood in DUP requesting and being granted the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland role as part of their coalition negotiations?

'Cos that sounds like a right shitshow especially if Stormont is still suspended?

Nah it's more likely to be tory minority government with a confidence and supply arrangement with the DUP on critical stuff

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

PostNouveau posted:

Do they usually do that stuff too?

Yes.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

jBrereton posted:

Constituencies always have their own sense of identity. It's okay to be a yank and not understand that, but it is true.

There is always somewhere just down the road you're better than and some hoity toity fuckers five minutes away by car who think they're so much better than you. To not understand that is to not understand the UK.

This is true but these identities don't always align with constituency boundaries, especially in more densely populated areas.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

quote:

Steve Vanhinsbergh, co-owner of Stone Circle, said the slab was unlikely to have been strong and stable enough to be installed in the restaurant garden.

:thunk:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

babypolis posted:

how popular is corbyn relative to other politicians? like is a +0 favorable considered good?

The average tends to be around zero because of how insanely partisan we are.

Before the election kicked off May was the only one with a net positive and Corbyn was dead last at like -29%, behind even Farron and Nutalls.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What the gently caress is up with that cartoon at the top? Is the woman the guy's hugging supposed to be his daughter? Because she looks like a grandma.

Bob's daughter has severe Down's syndrome iirc

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

appropriate image host

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

They did the same thing with the 2011 queen's speech for basically the same reason.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yinlock posted:

haven't a few of them said they're totally rebelling though

If you rebel on a Queen's Speech vote, especially one as vital as this, your career in politics is over.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Backbenchers rebel / abstain on minor things all the time and it's nbd but if any of them torpedoed the fledgling government they'd be annihilating their own political career in the process.

Ken Clarke was mentioned in the D&D thread because he's the most prominent pro Europe tory and is looking to retire soon, but he's a proper grandee - had multiple ministerial roles and is basically guaranteed for a peerage at some point - so I'd be very surprised if he could be convinced to break the party he's spent his life serving.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Does the Barnett Formula actually bind Treasury to certain spending ratios? I'd thought it was just convention, so if they really wanted to they could drop it at will.

Of course actually doing so would extract its own cost in political capital, which the government currently doesn't have a surplus of.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

There are 13 Scots and 8 Welsh tory MPs though, so discarding Barnett to appease the 10 DUPers is a risky strategic move.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

ed balls and the corbynator in one shot y o w z a

am I missing something? no balls in any of those

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

jBrereton posted:

Controversial flag placement over the ROI there.

It says love GB, Ireland shouldn't be on there at all!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I'd be really curious how they define abusive tweets because MPs themselves have been claiming "twitter guy telling me my politics are poo poo" as abuse for a while now

I've not read the full thing but the researchers said that because deleted / suspended tweets can't be accessed they assume their figures are an understatement https://medium.com/@AmnestyInsights/unsocial-media-tracking-twitter-abuse-against-women-mps-fc28aeca498a

The full methodology is here as well https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3bg_SJKE9GOenpaekZ4eXRBWk0/view

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Which Newcastle MP? We have three.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Byolante posted:

Chi Onwurah. Uses the all lives matter argument to say racism is worse than rape because the operation sanctuary report and an EDL march.

I don't think she said that at all? Her argument seems pretty similar to what was discussed in this thread the D&D thread:

quote:

But to say, as Sarah Champion did, that “Britain has a problem with British Pakistani men raping and exploiting white girls” is either saying that Pakistanis are more likely to rape and more likely to rape white girls, or that the rape of white girls is more of a problem than the rape of, for example, white boys or brown girls. We have a huge problem with sexual violence against children and vulnerable adults. After tabloid headlines about “Muslim rapists”, one of my constituents who was himself raped as a child expressed concern that his abuse did not raise the same kind of outrage and therefore the same level of awareness.

Many of the perpetrators were identified by family and friends – members of the communities accused of supporting these criminals. Almost all the perpetrators were of Asian Muslim descent, and it is right that the serious case investigation should consider what shared values, background, employment or interests brought these men together, whether there was a criminal culture that “normalised” this abuse, and how that culture was formed. I will be writing to the investigating officer to ensure he does so.

quote:

So which is worse, rape or racism? The answer, of course, is to reject any such choice. We must seek out and eradicate misogyny and sexism wherever it may be; condemn absolutely those who would judge or disrespect women and girls on the basis of their appearance or background; recognise that male violence against women has no race and no religion; invest in the measures necessary to prevent others becoming victims; and protect, champion and honour the survivors who, through their bravery, are helping to make our imperfect society safer.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/08/grooming-girls-newcastle-race-misogyny-religion-operation-sanctuary

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Racism also leads to life altering violent acts but I agree with Chi that it doesn't need to be an either / or thing

More importantly I find it very hard to believe that the police were genuinely stopped from doing their jobs because they were afraid that Polly Toynbee would skewer them in an op-ed, as opposed to the much more likely scenario that they were completely negligent and pointed the finger at Political Correctness Gawn Mad when called on it

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Byolante posted:

In racism the life altering act isn't racism, it's assault, or judicial malice or any other small but meaningful act. The key is 'leads to' not is.

I would be totally on board with dodgy, lazy pigs who want to blame talk sports gripe of the day for why they wanted a cheese burger more than a safe community if it was just Rotherham or Bristol or Newcastle. There is a pattern there now but everyone is falling over themselves trying to say but what about how people acted in the 80s or Jimmy Saville or dinner other thing. Those are all important things that should be dealt with but the reason people are taking about Muslim immigrant rape gangs is because the exact same thing keeps happening and nobody seems to want to be proactive about it.

Given how long they took to take any action against Ian Watkins I'm pretty sure the same thing that keeps happening is "plod is poo poo at investigating rape gangs"

It is of course tougher for the police to get people to cooperate with investigations when they're from marginalised communities. Combating racism in and out of the police force is one of the proactive things you can do to make it easier to catch these gangs

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

The Casey and Jay reports also said that there was a huge problem with victims not being taken seriously due to their socioeconomic backgrounds and that a lot of key evidence was missed as a result, which is part of a wider trend that the police simply do not treat rape victims seriously.

I agree that the police should go where the evidence leads them (and I don't think anyone has argued that they shouldn't?), but pretending that the shocking oversights in Rotherham were purely due to the race of the perpetrators lets an awful lot of dangerously incompetent people off the hook.

On the other hand I don't think any action was taken against them so I guess the only lesson we learned from that is beware the rapacious Pakistani.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah it's unfathomable that multiple councils and police forces could be dismissive of issues raised by poor and minority communities.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Fallen Hamprince posted:

wonder if this has any effect on tory leadership thunderdome

There's like 18,000 councillors in England alone so any individual result means gently caress all, but as part of an overall trend it's good for Corbyn

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Ruth Davidson isn't even an MP, lol if some safe seat warmer has to step aside for their new leader

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

This has probably been posted before but it's still good

http://youtu.be/wxpYW_w5pgo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he